• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon |OT| A Whole New Playground

BADNED

Hmm, not getting the Viper from playing the demo to show up in my messages. Tried restarting the game already. Played the demo over again too. Been playing the demo since it was released and started the game last night.

Any tips on how to get the Viper to unlock? FM.net says that the offer is good until 11/30.
You had to play the demo and the full game before October 31st to get that car.

I just got this delivered from Microsoft yesterday and got to play it for about an hour last night. I am really, really loving this game. I played a decent chunk of Forza 2 and 3 but skipped 4 for some reason. Horizon feels like the absolute perfect combination of the handling (and shit tons of cars) found in Forza with a really fun and semi-arcadey racing experience and an open world.

I was prepared to groan at the presentation (outdoor festival, street racing culture, dubstep, ugh) but... I actually kind of like it. The soundtrack is surprisingly great (surprising for someone that wouldnt listen to this stuff outside of a game) and complements the racing well, and I haven't found the presentation to be as cheesy as I thought it would be.

Really looking forward to trying out some multiplayer this weekend. PM sent for an invite to the Car Club.

I still can't believe I got this for $15. I feel like I stole something. I might end up buying the season pass though so I don't feel bad about it!

h3ro

You had to play the demo and the full game before October 31st to get that car.

Thanks for the scoop. I was just going off of what was listed on the FM.net forums in the official FAQ.

FAQ Link

Pre-Ordering, Demo, and Release

Pre-order bonus cars
Pre-ordering Forza Horizon from selected retailers provided a DLC code for one of five exclusive car models to add to your game, not available to purchase on the Xbox LIVE Marketplace.
Demo and bonus Viper
The Forza Horizon Demo was released as a free download on October 16.
Play the demo before the full game by Nov. 30 to be gifted a Viper GTS with special Horizon livery in the full game.

Elsewhere in the same FAQ:
October/November 2012 - available to all players with Xbox LIVE Gold membership. (Forza Horizon Demo announcement)

Download and play the Forza Horizon demo's three events for a "Congrats..." message. Then play the full game while signed in to Xbox LIVE (deadline: 11:59pm PDT November 30, 2012 - from the console Games menu under Forza Horizon, Play & Win box). Check your in game Messages after visiting Race Central to download the Viper directly to your in game garage for free.
Xbox LIVE Gold membership is required to download gift cars.

No big deal, I see that there are some facsimile liveries made for the viper on the storefront.

Daigoro

So just from free roaming I managed to re-rank to #1 popularity for a second time, netting me a nice 500,000 credits. That provided me the breathing room to drop a ton of credits and at long last buy the object of my car lust: a Lamborghini Sesto Elemento

Upgraded to R1 spec w/ an additional twin turbo, because, just because that's why.

sexy

So just from free roaming I managed to re-rank to #1 popularity for a second time, netting me a nice 500,000 credits. That provided me the breathing room to drop a ton of credits and at long last buy the object of my car lust: a Lamborghini Sesto Elemento

Upgraded to R1 spec w/ an additional twin turbo, because, just because that's why.
Congratulations! But what do you mean, you reranked to #1 a second time?

legbone

Congratulations! But what do you mean, you reranked to #1 a second time?

once you hit level 1 you can fill the meter one more time. it takes a bunch of kudos or whatever to do it (the meter moves really slow). i think i am almost half way through at the moment. best way i have found to fill it quickly is to do races and get the drafting and passing bonuses. they really add up when you are racing. that or just get on the interstate in a really fast car and start racking up the speed bonuses and near misses.

legbone

I have wanted to drift in this game, properly, how do I go about doing that? Does anybody have an idea?

get a high horsepower rear wheel drive. turn off traction control and stability or whatever it is called. voila!

edit: and head to red rock or whatever it is called (southwest corner of map). roads are perfect for drifting just watch out for traffic.

once you hit level 1 you can fill the meter one more time. it takes a bunch of kudos or whatever to do it (the meter moves really slow). i think i am almost half way through at the moment. best way i have found to fill it quickly is to do races and get the drafting and passing bonuses. they really add up when you are racing. that or just get on the interstate in a really fast car and start racking up the speed bonuses and near misses.
Oh wow I had no idea.

I wonder if the rally pack will help with this or if that'll be completely its own thing, kudos-wise?

once you hit level 1 you can fill the meter one more time. it takes a bunch of kudos or whatever to do it (the meter moves really slow). i think i am almost half way through at the moment.
So its just the one extra time then? It took long enough (I don't grind points - just love to drive fast and drift for kicks) so I was kindof hoping that it was endless. But as I haven't seen the bar move a pixel since I guess thats not in the cards. Its too bad too, because if I ever find myself with a lot of excess cash - that'll be when I'll peruse the DLC cars on offer.

I swear my time with this game is 20 to 1 in favor of free roaming rather than events. The events are pretty good, and exciting, but most of my joy still comes from exploring different rides. I'm going to run out of the emergent challenges (and that funding) soon at this rate.

LOL: An Open Letter To The Mayor Of Horizon, Colorado From A Concerned Citizen

At first I thought, perhaps, the inclusion of speed cameras everywhere would do the job. A smart cost-cutting, revenue-generating system, but I have reason to believe they aren't working. The reason is every time I get near a camera some miscreant in an unpronounceable Swedish speed machine that makes a noise like Thor farting speeds up the closer he gets to the camera, forcing me off the road and into a ditch.

Theft is rampant in the absence of a police force. As you know, us Horizonians are fond of buying irreplaceable classic cars and parking them in our large, unlocked barns and then leaving the doors open. There's sort of a tacit agreement that you don't take someone's vintage Jaguar out of their barn, quickly restore it, and then do a burnout in front of their home in said Jaguar. Bad form. Bad form.

More at the link. Remember, kids, Horizonians are people, too:

I just need it to stop. I need the sun back. I want my kids to be able to play in the street without having to worry about being flattened by a super-turbocharged Hello Kitty-festooned Mini Cooper. I will give you whatever you want. My votes. My credits. A cherry Bugatti I've stored in my massive run down barn near the highway.

For the love of all that is holy and good in the world just please make this never-ending nightmare stop.

Doodis

Got Horizon and Need for Speed yesterday after ordering both on Black Friday. I was thoroughly prepared to like Need for Speed better since it has gotten higher praise in reviews.

Boy, was I surprised. I played Horizon first for about an hour and loved the presentation, the set up, the joy of just roaming around this huge world.

Popped in Need for Speed. Everything just felt like a hot mess. The screen is littered with UI crap, the crazy city seems like one crash point that leads to another, and it just felt nowhere near as good as Horizon. And I loved Burnout Paradise.

I'm seriously considering trading in Need for Speed, as I don't really have the time or inclination to play it, and I'd probably make some cash since I got it for cheap.

Bravo, Playground and Turn 10.

Bravo, Playground and Turn 10.
There hasn't been a moment yet where I haven't loved this game. And now that I swapped an Aventador V12 into my Elemento and turbocharged it, shit is absolutely redonkulous. I finally have the sequel to Pod Racer I always wanted ;P

Edit: Looks like I'ms till wracking up points in popularity and the meter has reset. Maybe you can flip it more than once.

Also, the Elemento is in the club garage if anybody wants to take the beast for a spin.

get a high horsepower rear wheel drive. turn off traction control and stability or whatever it is called. voila!

edit: and head to red rock or whatever it is called (southwest corner of map). roads are perfect for drifting just watch out for traffic.

Awesome, I am going to go ahead and give this a try. Thank for the tip!

HOLY SHIT YOURE RIGHT

AHHHH

tumblr_m0rw3kKlO81rqb23mo1_r1_500.gif

Malo

Banned
Just got Horizon from the microsoft store earlier tonight and man, this game is amazing.

How do I get into the Gaf club? My GT: THE H4NDofGOD.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Just got this game yesterday from the MS Store's Black Friday sale ($15 YES). However, in order to actually get the game I had to jump through so many damn hoops I almost considered just giving up.

The problem with shipping to my place is that I'm never home when the mailman delivers mail since I'm at work, so I always have to call UPS up and tell them to hold the package for me at the warehouse so I can pick it up in person. Otherwise they make three delivery attempts and return the game if I'm not there. However, the MS Store in all their wisdom, decided to prevent the customer from making changes to the shipping method. So when I called UPS they told me only MS can make changes to the order. Then I call MS, and obviously none of the customer service reps know what I'm talking about, and tell me to call UPS. So I go back and forth between the two, meanwhile it's now the second day and UPS has made a second delivery attempt. Eventually after spending 4 hours straight on the phone with MS (while I'm at work mind you...I have work piling up to my ears by this point), I finally manage to get a supervisor to call UPS and change the whole thing for me.

I swear, this game had better be worth it. I have never gone through this much crap for any single game. :)

Speaking of which, any tips for a first timer? I played the demo and really enjoyed it, but don't know much else about the game (other than the music is awesome).

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Would have been cheaper (time is money)for you to bail out and go pay retail at that point. :)

I know, seriously. I was actually considering letting the UPS guy make the third attempt on Friday and just have him return it, but I really wanted to play the game over the weekend so I decided to be an idiot and stick with them through the whole process.

I swear, MS's customer service reps speak the worst English. At one point the lady had the UPS guy on the phone, and she told me he just needs some of my information so that we can complete the process. I got really happy so she transferred me over, and then the UPS guys was like, "Where's the MS rep?" I told him she transferred me over because he needed my info, and he goes quiet for a while and says, "I needed HER information. From the SENDER. As in, MICROSOFT." So I had to hang up and call MS again.

BUT IT'S ALL OVER NOW SO I CAN REST EASY.

Jhoan

I'd like an invite to the GAF group too. My GT is Johan El Fuerte. Thanks.

I just got the game yesterday...and I like it a lot more than the main series. We'll see how long this game can hold my interest before I move on to another game; that was the problem I had with the main games. I've been playing it for a few hours.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Damn yo this game is a lot of fun.

I started playing it today, with the intention of messing around in it for a few minutes before moving onto one of the other Black Friday games I got, but 2.5 hours later I just got my blue wristband, found the Bugatti barn find, and had to practically tear myself away from the game to get some much-needed food.

This is all the more surprising since the only racing game I've ever actually enjoyed was Burnout 3, and every other racing game has bored the hell out of me. I don't know what it is about this game, but I'm guessing the atmosphere has a lot to do with it. I'm a huge EDM festival goer, so the whole environment of Horizon just brings back a lot of memories from festivals I've been to in the past. Plus the way Horizon does the leaderboards thing, with challenging rivals and trying to beat your friends' speeds on the speed cameras, it's all pretty addictive.

Anyway I've heard a bit about this GAF club, how do I gain entrance to it?

Jhoan

Damn yo this game is a lot of fun.

I started playing it today, with the intention of messing around in it for a few minutes before moving onto one of the other Black Friday games I got, but 2.5 hours later I just got my blue wristband, found the Bugatti barn find, and had to practically tear myself away from the game to get some much-needed food.

This is all the more surprising since the only racing game I've ever actually enjoyed was Burnout 3, and every other racing game has bored the hell out of me. I don't know what it is about this game, but I'm guessing the atmosphere has a lot to do with it. I'm a huge EDM festival goer, so the whole environment of Horizon just brings back a lot of memories from festivals I've been to in the past. Plus the way Horizon does the leaderboards thing, with challenging rivals and trying to beat your friends' speeds on the speed cameras, it's all pretty addictive.

Anyway I've heard a bit about this GAF club, how do I gain entrance to it?

Agreed. This game is so good. I've been playing it for over 4 hours now doing nothing but hitting upgrade signs, doing crazy stunts to boost my rank (currently at rank 183 as of this post), being super anal retentive by going through all the roads, and hunting down Barn Find cars.

I'm still on my green wristband. I'm on right now still playing that's how addicting this game is. I'm impressed. I'm looking forward to seeing how it compares to NFS: MW once I get it.

Picked this up along with everyone else on Black Friday and just got around to starting it. Really impressed. It injects some much needed personality/drive (much needed for me, at least) into Forza, which was an already stellar core from a mechanics and feel standpoint. I can easily see this becoming my new go-to favorite racing game.

Those load screens/times are really a drag, though. Understandable, but still a drag.

Item Box

I'm also another who got this on black friday. Just started and its pretty good so far.

Mind if I get an invite to the car club? GT is SpamAge.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't think this was possible, but playing this game drunk makes it EVEN BETTER. Best pregaming gaming experience. :)

Edit: Hahaha #WINNING achievement. I love this game.

eggwolio

I'm looking forward to seeing how it compares to NFS: MW once I get it.

Don't set your expectations too high. i tried for a few hours to like Most Wanted and I just couldn't. It was too fast and cluttered and busy for me. Horizon is so laid back and relaxed. It's night and day.

Top Bottom