• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon |OT| A Whole New Playground

Fox Mulder

Who keeps a Bugatti in a shitty old barn with the door open?

Great game so far and even better for $15.

I'm under the assumption that the Horizon festival knows about them or placed them there.

It's a giant festival that seemingly has unlimited funding and legal access to roads, and even announces the location of the barn finds on their official radio stations. The barns are also closed if you find one before you're specifically told to go there. Then the mechanic guy apparently jumps out of a nearby tree, knows exactly what the rusted shell is, and restores the car absurdly fast.

It's all set up.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Don't set your expectations too high. i tried for a few hours to like Most Wanted and I just couldn't. It was too fast and cluttered and busy for me. Horizon is so laid back and relaxed. It's night and day.

Yeah I tried the NFS:MW demo and thought it was fun, but then once I played Horizon I was blown away at how chilled out and relaxed it is. I've been looking for a fun, low-stress game for a very long time and Horizon just hits the spot for me.

BTW you know what I would totally buy? Some radio DLC. Seriously, license a few more EDM songs and slap together another hour or two of Horizon Bass Beats radio and I will pay money for that. That station is one of my favorite things about the game.

Daigoro

ive downloaded the free cars from the last few packs, but i dont see them in my garage. where do i find these cars?

also, how do you get a car added to the GAF club? not that i have anything to offer yet, just curious.

been borrowing some sweet rides from GAF the last few days.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
ive downloaded the free cars from the last few packs, but i dont see them in my garage. where do i find these cars?

also, how do you get a car added to the GAF club? not that i have anything to offer yet, just curious.

been borrowing some sweet rides from GAF the last few days.
You have to buy DLC cars from the Autoshow.

Okay, the club is full again and I don't have the ability to delete people. We need H3RTZ to come in and purge some of the inactive players.

Okay, the club is full again and I don't have the ability to delete people. We need H3RTZ to come in and purge some of the inactive players.

Thanks for the add. I'm sort of confused about why features are available in a club. I see the leaderboards, and saw the shared garage. But is there an easy way to see which club members are online and racing? And what are the numbers next to each member's name (most are 1)?

What else can you do in a club?

Just fired up the game for the first time. After a few races, Get Away by Yuck started playing, so I just blew past my destination and fucking drove. It was pretty badass.

Funny how this is like Forza with a heavy dose of Motorstorm Pacific Rift and EA Radio Big placed on top of it.

sneaky77

Thanks for the add. I'm sort of confused about why features are available in a club. I see the leaderboards, and saw the shared garage. But is there an easy way to see which club members are online and racing? And what are the numbers next to each member's name (most are 1)?

What else can you do in a club?

Rivals mode.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I now have 5.5 hours into the game and just got my pink wristband. This game is pretty awesome. I keep wanting to stop so I can play something else, but Forza will just not let me go. I love just cruising around in the open world listening to the music, it's so relaxing.

Also a big thank you to whoever put in the rewind feature. I wouldn't have been able to beat that asshole helicopter without liberal use of the rewind.

Edit: OK I need help, how do I beat these skill PR stunts? How the hell do I get 18,000 skill points in 2 minutes?

Marvie_3

Banned
I now have 5.5 hours into the game and just got my pink wristband. This game is pretty awesome. I keep wanting to stop so I can play something else, but Forza will just not let me go. I love just cruising around in the open world listening to the music, it's so relaxing.

Also a big thank you to whoever put in the rewind feature. I wouldn't have been able to beat that asshole helicopter without liberal use of the rewind.

I turned off the rewind thing when I realized I was never using it. The +20% in winnings after each race has been nice.

Jhoan

I turned off the rewind thing when I realized I was never using it. The +20% in winnings after each race has been nice.

Same here. I realized that restarting the race, while more trial and error, is how I play most racing games especially since they do not have that feature. 60% bonus is good.

I'm gonna get on, accept the invitation, and get off quickly since I have some readings to do for school. Thanks for the invitation. So NFS: MW is a different beast from this game then. The demo for both games felt different. I wished that there were more songs in this game; hearing the same exact songs on only 3 radio stations after a couple of hours of playing, is very annoying. I've been having trouble with 2 sponsorship races; the one against the helicopter, and the one with the old school Mini Coopers. I've tried putting it on Easy, but I still can't win so I gave up.

Here's a few pictures I took yesterday while doing the PR Picture missions. One is missing since I forgot to save it; it looked so good in black and white as it had a second car zipping by in the picture. Oh well. I'll be taking a lot more pictures though so it got the ball rolling.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Same here. I realized that restarting the race, while more trial and error, is how I play most racing games especially since they do not have that feature. 60% bonus is good.

I'm gonna get on, accept the invitation, and get off quickly since I have some readings to do for school. Thanks for the invitation. So NFS: MW is a different beast from this game then. The demo for both games felt different. I wished that there were more songs in this game; hearing the same exact songs on only 3 radio stations after a couple of hours of playing, is very annoying. I've been having trouble with 2 sponsorship races; the one against the helicopter, and the one with the old school Mini Coopers. I've tried putting it on Easy, but I still can't win so I gave up.

Here's a few pictures I took yesterday while doing the PR Picture missions. One is missing since I forgot to save it; it looked so good in black and white as it had a second car zipping by in the picture. Oh well. I'll be taking a lot more pictures though so it got the ball rolling.

The helicopter race is a bitch and a half. In my winning run I basically abused the hell out of the rewind feature to make sure I hit each and every turn perfectly. You can't skid or drift since that slows you down, so it really is a case of nailing each turn in the entire course.

Did invites for the GAF club go out? I don't think I got one. GT: Dance Inferno, if anyone is sending them out.

I enabled the racing line for a couple of the showcase events. You may try that if you're having difficulty.

I actually started doing better once I got rid of the racing line, since it felt like I could push my car a little more than the racing line seems to suggest.

Jhoan

The helicopter race is a bitch and a half. In my winning run I basically abused the hell out of the rewind feature to make sure I hit each and every turn perfectly. You can't skid or drift since that slows you down, so it really is a case of nailing each turn in the entire course.

Did invites for the GAF club go out? I don't think I got one. GT: Dance Inferno, if anyone is sending them out.

I actually started doing better once I got rid of the racing line, since it felt like I could push my car a little more than the racing line seems to suggest.

See that I did not know. That area has so many curves, I keep forgetting to slow down before hitting them. That thing always gets ahead of me no matter what. I might also try adding the racing line in like Neuromancer said.

I got on earlier but I didn't receive the invitation as far as I know. I got a bunch of Rival challenges from the devs though. I'll repost my GT again for the leaders of the group: Johan [space] El [space] Fuerte.

How do I download decals from the store front? I bought two GAF decals from the store, but when I go to the downloaded section, it's not there.

I love how the menus are in the game itself. The main Forza series has way too many menus which is overwhelming. This game easily has one of the best menus this gen. Just earlier, I could resist playing for 30 minutes or so before it froze but I got the pink bracelet. The achievement names/references to shows and pop culture stuff is cool. Now I'm really intrigued to try out the multiplayer after hearing all this talk of Cat and Mouse and Infected.

eggwolio

Edit: OK I need help, how do I beat these skill PR stunts? How the hell do I get 18,000 skill points in 2 minutes?

The skills challenges were a nightmare for me. I got the LE, so I used my tokens for the popularity spike, but I think they're totally doable without it. One of them I completed just by doing donuts the entire time. Also, disable traction control and ABS and on most cars, you can manage a long combo of drifts, moving pretty slowly, left and right, just zigzaging down the road. Near misses and hitting signs helps, too. Just make sure you sit still when those points get high so you can bank them before you bump into something and lose them.

I wished that there were more songs in this game; hearing the same exact songs on only 3 radio stations after a couple of hours of playing, is very annoying.
I felt this way shortly into the game as well, but after putting more hours in, I found myself singing or humming along to every single one. I find myself far more annoyed by the DJs than the songs. They're part of the experience and have really grown on me. I'm just so sick of that lady asking Marco if she can borrow his hat.

8241099396_ff59e6dac1_c.jpg

8241099428_9a76b50221_c.jpg

Marvie_3

Banned
I felt this way shortly into the game as well, but after putting more hours in, I found myself singing or humming along to every single one. I find myself far more annoyed by the DJs than the songs. They're part of the experience and have really grown on me. I'm just so sick of that lady asking Marco if she can borrow his hat.

I just plug my mp3 playing into my xbox and stream music. The soundtrack in this game gets annoying after about 3 minutes.

AEREC

Any idea what the Rally Expansion is adding? New area? New terrain deformation effects?

Right now it doesn't seem like there's enough land to have a true rally experience, and I really hope they make the cars kick up more dust and dirt on off road sections.

Any idea what the Rally Expansion is adding? New area? New terrain deformation effects?

Right now it doesn't seem like there's enough land to have a true rally experience, and I really hope they make the cars kick up more dust and dirt on off road sections.
Here's what we know so far

The big news around DLC for Forza Horizon, however, remains the rally expansion.

“Yeah, everybody here now is totally heads down on rally,” says Fulton. “And they have been for maybe about a month or so, maybe six weeks, because obviously work finishes on Horizon in advance of it coming out. And that work really continues right the way up until December when we put the pack the pack together and release it on Xbox Live.”

“We’re trying to put together a really enthralling rally package. I think there’s an opportunity to go much deeper into that pure rally experience; that’s maybe something we didn’t have the chance to do in the broader context of Horizon itself but we identified that pure, one-car-on-a-rally-route, really intense rally experience that you can get if you go deep into rally is something that I think a lot of people are going to respond to and really look forward to.”

“Now I’m not sure of figures, right off the bat, but I know there are, I think, seven individual rallies within the pack. Each event is broken up into multiple stages so you get that stage by stage experience in each rally, and that’s really what we’re trying to do there. We’re just trying to go a little bit deeper [into that] rally experience that you get from just having one car on a really narrow, intense, undulating route.

“It’s not going to be part of the open world, because obviously we’re changing quite a lot of the world and that’s going to make synching up between people who have and don’t have the pack difficult. So instead you’re going to choose to enter the Horizon Rally Championship. That’s going to take you off into a separate mode in which you get to experience the new routes and the new terrain that we’ve built.”

To persist with the food metaphors, with a great deal of the team at Playground originally coming from Codemasters we put it to Fulton that this is the crew’s bread and butter.

“Yeah, it’s something lots of the team have done before,” laughs Fulton. “I think that’s probably why we were quite passionate about it to be this first expansion pack that we’re talking about. And also I think that rally has that quite evocative feel; there are lots of people out there who are rally fans and we felt that we could offer them something within the Horizon would that would really be worth them spending their time on.”

IGN

Fox Mulder

You have to combo everything.

Instead of wasting time drifting, just go fast as possible while weaving through traffic for near misses. You only need to drift if you can afford to or to keep a combo going.

You can get huge scores in two minutes.

BADNED

Transforming seven key sections of Horizon Colorado into Horizon Rally Colorado with new surface types.

You have to combo everything.

Instead of wasting time drifting, just go fast as possible while weaving through traffic for near misses. You only need to drift if you can afford to or to keep a combo going.

You can get huge scores in two minutes.

This. I got like 12,000 on one combo in maybe 20-30 seconds without even trying. I only know I did that because it's my highest combo total. I'm sure that's not even a lot and others have done way more, but it should be pretty easy to do 18k in 2 minutes when you are actually focusing on the combo.

You just need to really go for it and take risks for the big totals. If you are too careful not to crash you're going to have trouble getting enough points. These can be fun events when you just drive like a crazy person and don't really worry about the points.

Edit: Is the photo-sharing thread dead? This is my first and only shot so far - just the truck you get for beating whats her face. I love the way light can look in this game.
8242355836_abcbf835cf_b.jpg

megalowho

Got my $15 sale copy last week and ended up putting way more hours in over the weekend than expected. Haven't been sucked into a racer like this since Burnout Paradise, game is great. Feels cohesive, feature complete, well paced, and the location is gorgeous.

The festival setting and story bits are corny but it works, a lot better than I thought it would actually with the way radio stations are set up. I do feel like every time they show me in a cutscene it's a different generic bro character model, but a forgettable avatar is really the least of my concerns in a game like this. Can't wait to mess around in multi eventually, right after I take care of all these discount signs and secret barns.

Drastic

I wasn't really impressed by the demo so I passed, but I was given a promo copy the other day and man is this game much more fun than the demo.

Looking forward to the rally pack too.

I've begun a campaign of psychological warfare. Every time that lady calls me up on the phone to harass me about going to the Autoshow I write down her message and tweet it to Playground Games. Hopefully they find me as annoying as I find her.

eggwolio

I've begun a campaign of psychological warfare. Every time that lady calls me up on the phone to harass me about going to the Autoshow I write down her message and tweet it to Playground Games. Hopefully they find me as annoying as I find her.

Wow. I have no words. Only applause.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
This is amazing,

Shaneus

Brilliant. Perhaps I'll do the same thing!

Arucardo

Transforming seven key sections of Horizon Colorado into Horizon Rally Colorado with new surface types.

Wait, does that mean it's just using existing roads and changing the surface? Pretty disappointing if so. I'll have to think twice about getting the dlc.

Top Bottom