• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon |OT| A Whole New Playground

Draconian

Really like this game a lot. Picked it up from Wal-Mart for $15, but man, the first few hours, I've been having way more fun than I did in Forza 4. Just cruising around with no particular place to go in a Lancia is pretty fun for me. I can't wait until I get some of the better cars. I'll probably be interested in the Rally DLC as well.

eggwolio

can someone tell me is my game hosed for some reason?

when I go to mail, I can not set a waypoint to a Rival race nor can I find or jump to rival races from the notification screen
Is that normal or am I missing something... seems broken

That's normal, or at least it happened to me as well. Maybe it will get fixed in a patch, but otherwise, all the Rivals events are at race central.

Speaking of Rivals events, I busted my ass all day today trying to beat Alex, one of the Turn 10 developers, times on the Parks & Rec Rival event. Holy crap was that a pain. I probably did 300 laps in the few days I played this week and still only beat the dude by .08 seconds. Looks like only two of us in the GAF club did it, and the other beat me by something like a tenth of a second, though I raced his ghost a lot while trying to beat it. My first Unicorn should be coming soon and I'm stoked!

Also, the last Showcase event isn't on my map yet. How do I get that? All I have left is that and the skill PR Stunts and I'll be done with everything and ready for Rally. Those damn PR stunts are tough, though.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Hmm, bit disappointed the Rally stuff is just seperate events and not incorporated in to the open world. Bit of shame. I was hoping it was going to fill in some gaps in the map.
Same here. So we won't be able to casually take any of our more rugged cars on these routes for kicks? That would be a letdown, and it seems to be the case since the DLC isn't integrated into the world.

Will wait and see, but if its just additional standalone events I probably won't bite.

Shaneus

“It’s something we always wanted to incorporate in there but it’s difficult to message that to people without them really getting their hands on a controller and the experience of taking these cars out into the open-world,” says Fulton. “It’s been great to see feedback on just that core gameplay, you know?"
Well, at least someone's getting feedback from this game. Because with the level of vibration on the controller, I sure ain't.

PS. Yeah, if it's just additional standalone events and a handful of cars, I'll probably skip. I don't see how hard it would've been to integrate it into the open world thing if the game isn't an MMO. Either you have the DLC and can join this session, or you don't and you join another session. Simple.

It sucks, because I was really hoping that it would feel like it was a part of the world and not something that just essentially uses in-game assets to create a new, separate game.

Arucardo

Anyone know if they've added or changed the events in the Pure Skill ladder/lobby yet? The same car for everyone mode has been my favorite way to play Forza online with randoms since F3.

RawNuts

Speaking of Rivals events, I busted my ass all day today trying to beat Alex, one of the Turn 10 developers, times on the Parks & Rec Rival event. Holy crap was that a pain. I probably did 300 laps in the few days I played this week and still only beat the dude by .08 seconds. Looks like only two of us in the GAF club did it, and the other beat me by something like a tenth of a second, though I raced his ghost a lot while trying to beat it. My first Unicorn should be coming soon and I'm stoked!
Glad I'm not the only one here that does those events. I just saw your name on the Forza forums as well; looks like Alex hasn't improved on his time and the CR-X will be ours!

Yep, feel like a poor peasant boy looking through the window of a Gentlemans club.

Or something.

Can I get an invite for: RossCoBrit if possible?

And one for Proteus.

Or, are the $15 peasants not allowed? We may need to create our own car club.

I'm loving the Diablo SV you win from one of the racers. Speaking of cars, would you recommend building up a bit of a garage before heading into multiplayer or are the stock cars competitive from the get go?

Also, an invite to the club would be nice. GT: idroj3

Gek54

Glad I'm not the only one here that does those events. I just saw your name on the Forza forums as well; looks like Alex hasn't improved on his time and the CR-X will be ours!

So only three of us? Not sure why the CR-X is so popular, and the Dino, while a great looking car, is a bit of a bore to drive. I really want that Mazda Miata Superlight.

RawNuts

I'm loving the Diablo SV you win from one of the racers. Speaking of cars, would you recommend building up a bit of a garage before heading into multiplayer or are the stock cars competitive from the get go?

Also, an invite to the club would be nice. GT: idroj3
In the playground events, the rental cars are typically fine; in races though, I would tune up some cars that you're comfortable with for each class if you want to be competitive.

If you're in the gaf car club, we have a nice selection of cars in the shared garage that you can use as well.

So only three of us? Not sure why the CR-X is so popular, and the Dino, while a great looking car, is a bit of a bore to drive. I really want that Mazda Miata Superlight.
I'm just happy to win a unicorn car. Personally, I think the Elan would be massive fun to drive around in, especially if you can drop the Exige engine in it.

Awesome. Honestly I prefer the expansion to be separate events I can get to from a menu; it'll be more convenient that way. It would be nice if rally cars unlocked in the garage in the main game but it's certainly not a deal breaker for me.

Each event is broken up into multiple stages so you get that stage by stage experience in each rally, and that’s really what we’re trying to do there. We’re just trying to go a little bit deeper [into that] rally experience that you get from just having one car on a really narrow, intense, undulating route.
Yeah that sounds fucking awesome.

eggwolio

If I go back and purchase Forza 3 or 4 now and play them, will I get my loyalty cars(and the accompanying achievement) even though I've already played through all of Horizon? I think this may be the first game I get all achievements on, unless I can't get that one.

If I go back and purchase Forza 3 or 4 now and play them, will I get my loyalty cars(and the accompanying achievement) even though I've already played through all of Horizon? I think this may be the first game I get all achievements on, unless I can't get that one.
I don't see why not

The wireless speedwheel is $19.99 today on amazon if someone was waiting on a deal. I think there's 2 hrs left
Thanks for this. Just picked one up.

Have heard great things, but is the lack of bumpers going to be a problem in Horizon? Does the speedwheel have any rumble? Not that it matters for Horizon (*cries*), but still.

retrow

Have heard great things, but is the lack of bumpers going to be a problem in Horizon? Does the speedwheel have any rumble? Not that it matters for Horizon (*cries*), but still.

Yes it does (two motors i think).
I bought one yesterday and i'm very pleased with it.

Fox Mulder

The biggest problem with the speed wheel is how it's a pain in the ass to navigate menus with since it lacks bumpers. It was basically designed with forza in mind, and it still fails there.

It's definitely worth the sale price though. It was one of those things everyone laughed off as a shitty wii wheel, but it works pretty well.

Klocker

What Horizon does for the speedwheel that Forza 4 did not, is it replaces the bumpers with triggers in menus so it is now possible to play the whole game with the Speedwheel

Only limitation is rotating around the car in photo/view modes (no sticks).

Branson

Mine should get here from the ms store today. Excited! I've heard good things. Going to use a fanatec wheel with it. Are wheels pretty fun with this? It seemed ok in the demo.

Arucardo

Mine should get here from the ms store today. Excited! I've heard good things. Going to use a fanatec wheel with it. Are wheels pretty fun with this? It seemed ok in the demo.

It's very good most of the time. I found it better to dial down the steering range to 720 degrees on the Turbo S wheel, makes recovering from the snap oversteer some cars have much more manageable.

Didn't realise they reskinned the Zonda R for Horizon until I just bought one, nice touch.

edit: I take that back, once out of the showroom it's back to black.

Man, second car pack on the way and yet I still can't afford the one car I had lusted after and had unlocked from day one - the lambo sesto elemento. Its like 2.6 million credits. In all my playing I still don't have enough cash to buy the damn thing since I've had to spend money on cars to match the race event restrictions. I've only just now reached 2.5 million.

Why would I buy a car pack only to put more cars I can't afford into the game?

I think it's crazy - literally insane- you have to pay real money to unlock the privilege of buying them in game. They should just give them to you.

Not a bad car pack, I'll definitely pick it up for the F12 and the Big Mac. The new cars and rally expansion will be just the things to get me back into this game and away from teh Haloz.

Well, that and a patch to silence Alice's constant reminders that the Autoshow has cars for high rollers like me. I swear, the blinding rage induced by her interruptions has caused me to wrap the front of many a supercar around an indestructible tree. I know she's paid me a lot of prize money, (as she keeps repeating to me, like a demented parrot), but these repair costs are getting out of hand.

Man, second car pack on the way and yet I still can't afford the one car I had lusted after and had unlocked from day one - the lambo sesto elemento. Its like 2.6 million credits. In all my playing I still don't have enough cash to buy the damn thing since I've had to spend money on cars to match the race event restrictions. I've only just now reached 2.5 million.

Why would I buy a car pack only to put more cars I can't afford into the game?

Keep playing. The payout for the second-to-last race is around 10 million cr.

Well, that and a patch to silence Alice's constant reminders that the Autoshow has cars for high rollers like me. I swear, the blinding rage induced by her interruptions has caused me to wrap the front of many a supercar around an indestructible tree. I know she's paid me a lot of prize money, (as she keeps repeating to me, like a demented parrot), but these repair costs are getting out of hand.
Yep she's horrible. Playground really needs to address this, I'm tired of getting harassed every time I play the game.

Yep she's horrible. Playground really needs to address this, I'm tired of getting harassed every time I play the game.

And why, pray tell, does she still address me like some rookie scrub after every race?

Has she suffered head trauma recently? Is she somehow not aware that I'm the end-all, be-all, undisputed king and tyrant of the Horizon festival, having sent Darius Flynt packing and consigned him to selling oven mitts on QVC, compelled grid girls to spread their legs at the mere sight of me, or sent the P-51/helicopter/crop-duster pilots union up into arms over their flyers' inability to keep a steady job due to my repeated embarassment of their abilities?

These are important questions, PG, and I can only hope that they will be sufficiently addressed in the future.

sneaky77

I think it's crazy - literally insane- you have to pay real money to unlock the privilege of buying them in game. They should just give them to you.

Thats why I stopped buying DLC cars.

Make them $1 in auction or to sell them, but its kinda bonkers the way it is, it was the same way in Forza4 thats why I passed on season pass for Horizon

Fox Mulder

I've bought a bunch of cars and still have like 7 million dollars. You get tons of money at the end of the campaign and you get random cash or car rewards for leveling up online.

Top Bottom