• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon |OT| A Whole New Playground

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I've been auto upgrading my cars and they're fine. It might not be the best bang for your buck but honestly I don't know much about cars and just want to be able to race with the cars I like. Auto upgrade lets me do that and that's all I need.

I got super lucky and picked this up from the Microsoft store during cyber Monday for $15.

I'm really digging it so far. My favorite thing at the moment is the difficulty settings. I want to race against the car and less against my opponents if that makes sense. I set the AI to easy but then I tweak the other settings so that I have practically no assists on. It works great with the low end cars but you really have to use finesse with the high end/high torque cars.

Bottom line, I'm loving the game.

Jhoan

The multiplayer is so good. I played about an hour of it last night. Love the Party games. Infected is the game I more or less won at 2/4 rotations of the game. I suck at King and I'm ok at Cat and Mouse.

I'm disappointed that the MP isn't open world ala NFS: MW, but that's ok. It still would've been nice though. I've also gotten my ass kicked at straight up racing, but no worries; it's still a good game.

The multi is fun, but why don't they implement some sort of sort of penalty for taking damage or ramming other players? I swear every match is just a crash fest at every corner, people don't even try to slow down, instead they try and use other cars as cushions to clear corners or outright try and power through.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
The multi is fun, but why don't they implement some sort of sort of penalty for taking damage or ramming other players? I swear every match is just a crash fest at every corner, people don't even try to slow down, instead they try and use other cars as cushions to clear corners or outright try and power through.

That's how I play single player lol. There doesn't seem to be any penalty for slamming into other cars so I figure why the hell not. I can see it being very annoying in multiplayer though.

Klocker

for those curious about the 9th Barn find... it must be random

I had it come up with:

21 hrs drive time, 25% game completion and fan fav 51 with only one free roam online race to my credit. level 1 online.

I do lots of offline free roam though

Fox Mulder

for those curious about the 9th Barn find... it must be random

I had it come up with:

21 hrs drive time, 25% game completion and fan fav 51 with only one free roam online race to my credit. level 1 online.

I do lots of offline free roam though

I had it come up eventually, but it still seems bugged. The game gives them out at a quick pace while you're doing the festival, then I got nothing until long after I've got 100% at like 30 hours and was driving to the paint shop before going back online.

I took advantage of time off and plowed through the wristbands. Awesome!

I was robbed on the final showdown, however. Darius' car must have gotten caught on a wall. He simply vanished in my rearview and his completion hung on 51% long after I crossed the finish line.

Is there a way to re-do that race? It felt epic.

Fox Mulder

I took advantage of time off and plowed through the wristbands. Awesome!

I was robbed on the final showdown, however. Darius' car must have gotten caught on a wall. He simply vanished in my rearview and his completion hung on 51% long after I crossed the finish line.

Is there a way to re-do that race? It felt epic.

The AI got confused in mine too. He was driving in circles around a part near the end.

You can always choose to race it again, and I think the course is used again for the last street race as well.

RawNuts

The AI got confused in mine too. He was driving in circles around a part near the end.
Darius can't deal with the shame of losing and apparently you've driven him completely mad to the point where he simply drives in circles.
The game tells such a tragic story of his fall from grace.

You can always choose to race it again, and I think the course is used again for the last street race as well.

Yeah its the last race at Gladstone Tower, its called Goliath. We need to have a GAF race of that.

Klocker

ok after going back and forth between trading this back in for F4 the past week or so (and playing FC3) this game finaly bit me.

Sat down this evening and played for 9 hours straight, racing, free romaing, painting, buying, upgrading... and the desire to get back on the road with this is so storng. Where as in FM4 I'd be setting up my cars but rarely driving them

there you go.

running an R2, R1 in hood cam and avoiding traffic is insanely good too.

Arucardo

Not sure what my game time is now (around 30 hours I think) but last night I discovered you can zoom in the map with a wheel too, just press the clutch pedal. Not sure if you can zoom out again without exiting and re-entering the map but I'll take it.

Horizon is my surprise of the year.

I love the Forza Motorsport series, but nothing shown about this game excited me. Only after I played the demo did I begin to get excited and the more I played the full game the more I fell in love.

It makes me wonder what's next for the Forza franchise as a whole. Horizon injected a lot of "life" into the series and the idea of going back to (comparatively) lifeless tracks for FM5 makes me sad.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I can't believe this lost to Most Wanted at the VGAs. This is infinitely more fun.

Seriously. I generally agreed with most of the awards given out at the VGAs this year (GASP!), but I strongly disagree with this one. Forza Horizon came out of nowhere and kicked me in the balls. It's so good.

DD

1sio07.jpg

2bop3t.jpg

Shaneus

Seriously. I generally agreed with most of the awards given out at the VGAs this year (GASP!), but I strongly disagree with this one. Forza Horizon came out of nowhere and kicked me in the balls. It's so good.
It makes absolutely no sense, and given how many new faces popped into this thread that weren't in the FM4 one, they've done a good job of turning non-car lovers into gamers and car lovers.

I'd wager the MW OT is smaller than this one as well. That's how the VGAs should be determined ;)

Draconian

I don't know how good Most Wanted is. I'd like to play at some point, but right now Horizon is my GOTY, and this is coming from someone who bought it for $15 on Black Friday because I wasn't hyped for it at all. It's by far the game I've had the most fun playing this year.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know how good Most Wanted is. I'd like to play at some point, but right now Horizon is my GOTY, and this is coming from someone who bought it for $15 on Black Friday because I wasn't hyped for it at all. It's by far the game I've had the most fun playing this year.

I'm right there with ya. Don't generally enjoy racing games but this one is blowing me away. If the next Forza is an open-world racer in the vein of Horizon then you bet your ass I'll be there day one.

Anyway just broke 100 popularity and got my first R1 car from the showdown event. Damn this thing is fast!!! Gotta get used to handling the car at these ridiculous speeds.

Marvie_3

Banned
I'm right there with ya. Don't generally enjoy racing games but this one is blowing me away. If the next Forza is an open-world racer in the vein of Horizon then you bet your ass I'll be there day one.

Anyway just broke 100 popularity and got my first R1 car from the showdown event. Damn this thing is fast!!! Gotta get used to handling the car at these ridiculous speeds.

I got my first R1 early on. Bought my Skyline and upgraded the shit out of it. :D

Shaneus

It's really not as good as this, and that's from someone who DOES love driving/racing games. If we think of sims as movie directors, then sims would be Kubrick, Horizon would be Peter Jackson and Most Wanted would be Michael Bay.

Hexagonal

Banned
Nope, Michael Bay would be NFS: The Run. Come on, he even did a trailer for that game!

Then, Most Wanted might be... The Wachowski Bros.: known for a famous and awesome saga in the past but now stuck into something "doomed".

Shaneus

Nope, Michael Bay would be NFS: The Run. Come on, he even did a trailer for that game!

Then, Most Wanted might be... The Wachowski Bros.: known for a famous and awesome saga in the past but now stuck into something "doomed".
Yeah, that's probably a more apt simile (or whatever the right word is... it's late)

PS. They're now known as "The Wachowskis", for obvious reasons :)

That's how I play single player lol. There doesn't seem to be any penalty for slamming into other cars so I figure why the hell not. I can see it being very annoying in multiplayer though.

I don't have a huge issue with it, but when you're in first place and a car jackknifes you at full speed while you're turning a corner it's hard not to be aggravated :/ taking away a little xp for a sloppy race or taking away some of the money you won for repairs would've helped with this.

It makes absolutely no sense, and given how many new faces popped into this thread that weren't in the FM4 one, they've done a good job of turning non-car lovers into gamers and car lovers.

I'd wager the MW OT is smaller than this one as well. That's how the VGAs should be determined ;)

This is my first Forza I'm having a blast with it, it's actually taking me away from Black Ops 2 and I didn't think a game would do that to me one month after it's release.I'm thinking about picking up Forza 4 just to see what I've been missing out on.

Shaneus

This is my first Forza I'm having a blast with it, it's actually taking me away from Black Ops 2 and I didn't think a game would do that to me one month after it's release.I'm thinking about picking up Forza 4 just to see what I've been missing out on.
You may like it... but it may not be your cup of tea. I think there's an LE or something with most of the DLC included (unless I'm thinking of 3) and it may help going in knowing there aren't any tracks on top of what's included (there wasn't any track DLC *at all*), as well as the fact that it's probably dirt cheap right now.

Wait until you're burned out with Horizon first, maybe :)

Klocker

I'll tell you the racing in this game is made for the Wirelss speed wheel.... so much fun in cockpit mode.

I admit when cruising around I sometimes switch to a controller and car view though. :)

Doodis

Is there some way to tell before races what class of car you're going to be up against? I feel like I never know what class of car they expect me to drive. It just shows me some cars I have, and half the time it says my car is illegal.

Is there some way to tell before races what class of car you're going to be up against in races? I feel like I never know what class of car they expect me to drive. It just shows me some cars I have, and half the time it says my car is illegal.
Go to the map, and hover over the race icon and you'll see the basic details, including class and whether its an off-road race, street or mixed surface. hit X to see more detailed restrictions.

I always plot out my next race, find the right car for the job (class/restriction/surface types) and then go for a joyride for a bit on similar surfaces until I feel comfortable with pushing it to the limits.

Hexagonal

Banned
You may like it... but it may not be your cup of tea. I think there's an LE or something with most of the DLC included (unless I'm thinking of 3) and it may help going in knowing there aren't any tracks on top of what's included (there wasn't any track DLC *at all*), as well as the fact that it's probably dirt cheap right now.

Wait until you're burned out with Horizon first, maybe :)

Porsche Expansion Pack for FM4 is mandatory if you want to buy the game in the future. Maybe this Xmas it will get a discount... Again. Well, it has more cars, racing tracks (with a few fictional ones) and the reason we are angry with Horizon's DLC plans lol.

Arucardo

If you haven't played the hell out of FM 3, Forza 4 will be an incredible game. The lack of new tracks was a huge let down for me in 4.

I played a bit of multiplayer last night. After having only leveled up to 4 or 5 prior to last night I'm at like 16 now. Some thoughts:

* As people have mentioned, a fair chunk of people online are seriously dirty racers. They fly down the straights behind you and don't even brake for the turn before ramming into you, bouncing them around the corner in more or less OK position while you ram into the outside wall. Most of the time, this catches up with them and they pay for it - they miss you once and you'll never see them again for the rest of the race. But other times you get fucked. A couple times I was in second, pretty confident about being able to catch the guy in first but racing clean so not forcing it; waiting for a good clean passing opportunity. Then out of nowhere I get taken out by some jackass and thrown into last. I get pissed and frustrated, so I abandon everything else and just try to gun down the offender and ruin his day. Probably what he wanted, but its really frustrating and not what I'm looking for in a racer.

* Lag can really kill close races in fast cars. I had a few close races in R2's and R3's where I'm drafting behind some guy at 200+, close race, clean race, etc but then his car starts bouncing around in front of me from the lag. It's really distracting and can cause unintentional wrecks. Most races I was in had some element of lag, but it was especially noticeable in the highest performance tiers.

* Car types don't appear to matter when racing on dirt - is this the case? I would try to pick AWD, higher clearance vehicles, but I don't think I get much of (if any) performance advantage over a very low clearance RWD sports car with similar ratings. So I just go with the best numbers I have, or the coolest looking car.

* As people have mentioned, a fair chunk of people online are seriously dirty racers. They fly down the straights behind you and don't even brake for the turn before ramming into you, bouncing them around the corner in more or less OK position while you ram into the outside wall. Most of the time, this catches up with them and they pay for it - they miss you once and you'll never see them again for the rest of the race. But other times you get fucked. A couple times I was in second, pretty confident about being able to catch the guy in first but racing clean so not forcing it; waiting for a good clean passing opportunity. Then out of nowhere I get taken out by some jackass and thrown into last. I get pissed and frustrated, so I abandon everything else and just try to gun down the offender and ruin his day. Probably what he wanted, but its really frustrating and not what I'm looking for in a racer.

This describes how i play the single player... and why i like horizon more than standard forza. For me getting 1st is top priority not sportsmanship or getting good lap times.

This describes how i play the single player... and why i like horizon more than standard forza. For me getting 1st is top priority not sportsmanship or getting good lap times.

I might do it if I'm desperate in SP and just want to complete a race without a restart, but generally its a lot more satisfying to win a clean race. I wish there was a better way to penalize this.

Anyway, its MP that's really the problem. I have a pretty small sample size since I only raced with 3-4 different groups, but other posts indicate that this is a widespread problem.

Is the only way to invite Club members to race by spamming every single member of the club? Can you not send a notice only to those members that happen to be online AND playing the game?

I wanted to set up a race and invite GAF club members but wouldn't want to send messages spamming all the people playing Far Cry 3 or whatever.

Arucardo

I might do it if I'm desperate in SP and just want to complete a race without a restart, but generally its a lot more satisfying to win a clean race. I wish there was a better way to penalize this.

Anyway, its MP that's really the problem. I have a pretty small sample size since I only raced with 3-4 different groups, but other posts indicate that this is a widespread problem.

Is the only way to invite Club members to race by spamming every single member of the club? Can you not send a notice only to those members that happen to be online AND playing the game?

I wanted to set up a race and invite GAF club members but wouldn't want to send messages spamming all the people playing Far Cry 3 or whatever.

Don't think so, I remember getting an invite to play Forza 4 once while I was playing GTA IV on PC, lol.

Top Bottom