• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon |OT| A Whole New Playground

Fuck this!!! It was too hard to resist :D

8286233847_3e5f93e3c5_c.jpg

Gek54

Worth it so far, even the reskinned roads were surprisingly well done, beautiful in fact.

Had to drop the difficulty down one notch from insane to start winning stages.

The deer running across the road, cherry.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Worth it so far, even the reskinned roads were surprisingly well done, beautiful in fact.

Had to drop the difficulty down one notch from insane to start winning stages.

The deer running across the road, cherry.

you got it and think its worth it? shit, thats good enough for me

Rally expansion review round up

Eurogamer- 8/10
As an addition to Forza's ever-expanding arsenal, then, the Rally pack is a success - one that brings Microsoft's series another step closer to the comprehensiveness of Gran Turismo. It's more than a gap filled, and it's more than a reminder of how thrilling off-road racing can be. This is a full-blooded add-on, and the kind of meaty expansion that Forza 4 sadly never enjoyed. It's not, however, quite the measure of the main dish, and it's something of a shame that the off-road sections couldn't be better integrated into Horizon's existing world rather than being bluntly torn away from it.

This is Xbox - 9/10
The seven additional rallies, the five new cars, the ten shiny new Achievements and all that fun bundled into just one DLC package is most definitely worthy of the price tag. Not only has traditional racing been thrown out the window and replaced with a tougher, meaner off-road series of challenging events, but the game still manages to outshine the competition with stunning lighting and the most amazing scenic tracks in spectacular detail.

Flesh Eating Zipper (?) - 7/10
At the end of the day, it’s extremely difficult to recommend this for the asking price when you can get DIRT 3 for around the same price which comes with a relative galaxy of content. I pine for an expanded Forza-branded rally experience and while there’s still some quality stuff here, it’s best to wait until the price drops

Saving Content - 4/5
f the price is putting you off from purchase, you should reconsider. This $20 DLC purchase offers new events in new locations with new cars to race with. It’s a true expansion pack in the traditional use of the word. The Rally Expansion Pack adds hours of new content and challenge that was missing from the main game and feels like it could be just a sampling of another game all it’s own. Playground Games also paid special attention to how rally works and the co-driver is precise and accurate.

maeh2k

I bought the game a couple of weeks ago in an amazon sale together with the speed wheel. I've really enjoyed it a lot. I have completed all the Horizon events except for the Darius Flynt showdown. I tried that one yesterday but I didn't stand a chance. Will try again today with a different car (bought like half a dozen of R1 cars from the ten million credits from the final race).

Somehow I'm still missing a speed trap despite having driven on all roads. There must have been one I didn't see and drove past too slowly. Also I haven't found six of those Upgrade signs. They'll probably remain hidden since I'm certainly not going to look for them all over the map.

I'm missing a speed trap too. I have no idea where it is.

Here's a pretty good map for the upgrade signs:

The tricky part is figuring out which ones you already have. The grey they used for the dots is pretty much the same gray they used for roads.

Edit: actually this guy has a map for speed traps too, I'll have to use it tonight

Really like the feel of the off road surfaces. It is crazy how much better it handles than dirt 3,a game made for rally (kind of). Love the elevation drops and off camber stuff.

Also kind of exposes how things go wierd when you go wheels up. Plenty of opportunity to flip the car and get into that lazy roof on ice slide. Wish you could really catch and send the car into a cartwheel.

But fingers crossed for it to return in forza 5. Well done for what it is.

maeh2k

I'm missing a speed trap too. I have no idea where it is.

Here's a pretty good map for the upgrade signs:

The tricky part is figuring out which ones you already have. The grey they used for the dots is pretty much the same gray they used for roads.

Edit: actually this guy has a map for speed traps too, I'll have to use it tonight

Check out c-203 in the bottom right corner. That one's easy to miss. At least I missed it.

Just beat Darius, but I had to resort to activating rewind. At those speeds with traffic it's just to hard to not screw up for ten minutes.

Dear Playground Games, with Rally Expansion you showed us that you can and you know what's up, now it's time for you to take over Rallisport Challenge* series and make us a proper Rally game, with lots of rally cars, lots of stages (they have to be long, like 8 minutes long :D ) and lots of variety in terms of surface (yeah snow and mud as well). Put some weather condition on top of that and make it ready for next gen Xbox. You have no ideahow many people you guys would make super happy.

*If you can't make Rallisport Challenge then make us a Forza Rally game :D

Dear Playground Games, with Rally Expansion you showed us that you can and you know what's up, now it's time for you to take over Rallisport Challenge* series and make us a proper Rally game, with lots of rally cars, lots of stages (they have to be long, like 8 minutes long :D ) and lots of variety in terms of surface (yeah snow and mud as well). Put some weather condition on top of that and make it ready for next gen Xbox. You have no ideahow many people you guys would make super happy.

This man speaks the truth!

If its wish time: Please make more free roam areas with rally and off-roading in mind. I love rally, but 2-3 minute stages just aren't enough. If the stages all tied together in a larger open world, it'd be endless driving joy.

sneaky77

oh god yes

My name is Neuromancer and I approve this message. In fact, I think it's awesome

AEREC

I haven't played the rally DLC yet but Rallisport Challenge 2 is one of the best racing games of all time.

If the handling and feel of this DLC is that good then I may have to pick it up.

DD

Forza Rally, please.

Rallisport Challenge had amazing visuals and incredible (specially because they were long) tracks, but the carreer mode was shallow. Do it Richard Burns Rally style.

NOK1L.gif

Holy balls this is hard.

One would think there was maybe a balancing/difficulty problem when one is playing on easy, with assists and braking line one, rewinding when one gets into an accident, and still can't place in the single digits.

I'm enjoying it but GOD DAMN!

so worth the $20?

It all depends on how much time you willing to put into it. If you just want to beat the new Rally events and be over with then it's not worth the money. But if you want to race a lot and then race even more online then I think it is worth the $20 price tag.

Holy balls this is hard.

One would think there was maybe a balancing/difficulty problem when one is playing on easy, with assists and braking line one, rewinding when one gets into an accident, and still can't place in the single digits.

I'm enjoying it but GOD DAMN!

That sucks. Nothing is more frustrating than paying for content but not being able to progress through it because the difficulty level is obnoxious.

op_ivy

That sucks. Nothing is more frustrating than paying for content but not being able to progress through it because the difficulty level is obnoxious.

turn it down?

i have no shame in saying i set horizons difficulty to medium (whereas forza is always at its highest) simply because the ai was shit and i didnt want to waste my time and/or get frustrated with bullshit to progress. if rally DLC's difficulty is too hard, why not just turn down the difficulty, especially if the goal is to unlock content?

turn it down?

i have no shame in saying i set horizons difficulty to medium (whereas forza is always at its highest) simply because the ai was shit and i didnt want to waste my time and/or get frustrated with bullshit to progress. if rally DLC's difficulty is too hard, why not just turn down the difficulty, especially if the goal is to unlock content?

I guess you missed the part where he said he was playing the Rally Pack on EASY, and it was still balls hard.

meppi

That's not how it works. Even if you place 50th in each event, you will be able to go to the next series. So the content certainly isn't being blocked by the difficulty.
Unless you count the very last event, which you do have to work for. But then again I find it to be a good motivator to have at least something blocked till your skill gets to a somewhat decent level.

Klocker

yea it's hard but I prefer to have to work to get good becuase as these are a limited number of static tracks, eventually we will wear those times down.

Also with Rivals, there will always be people pushing the envelope for us to squeeze more time out of it.

Yes I'd say this is worth $20

Fuck this!!! It was too hard to resist :D

8286233847_3e5f93e3c5_c.jpg

auto tune :| if you go into the garage and change the rear wing yourself you can stick a spare tyre on the roof, too.

I love the parts some cars get in this, I changed my ford into the sega rally 2 version with the air pipe and front bumper grill along with the old white and blue paint job.

op_ivy

i will be dropping some cash on this soon. it sounds pretty great, and honestly, if i watch video previews and dont recognize a lot of the areas they are racing, its new to me :p

The good news is I still progress, I get points even when I finish in the middle of the pack and when I get to a set number of points the final event will open up. It's just a bit disheartening and totally out of whack with the difficulty of the main game.

Shaneus

seriously... it finally feels like you are maneuvering the surface and not just steer/gliding down a path.
Do the offroad bits in vanilla game mode feel different? I wonder if they feel different now if you *don't* have the expansion (ie. it was included in the title update).

Daigoro

auto tune :| if you go into the garage and change the rear wing yourself you can stick a spare tyre on the roof, too.

I love the parts some cars get in this, I changed my ford into the sega rally 2 version with the air pipe and front bumper grill along with the old white and blue paint job.

you just said the magic words!

Wasn't planning on picking the rally expansion up right away...but, gave in and got it anyway.

I, as others it seems, was focused on the non-seamless, non-open world aspect of it. But now that I'm playing, it doesn't seem to matter to me so much. Having a lot of fun on the tracks. There's a lot of elevation and camber variety, bumps and jumps to deal with. It doesn't even matter to me, I'm finding, if at certain points I recognize that I'm in a certain area of the based game since even those sections are different in some way so far.

This may be a very obvious thing to point out since rally racing is time trialing essentially, but if you know you are the kind of person who enjoys time trialing in general, you'll probably like the rally expansion. I'm really enjoying how that's in the forefront of the experience here. Guess I should have been playing other rally games more if I like it so much.

Klocker

Do the offroad bits in vanilla game mode feel different? I wonder if they feel different now if you *don't* have the expansion (ie. it was included in the title update).

in game mode it feels easier and less rough with a rally car albeit better than before the extra ruumble but rally is another level altogheter. :)

Also what Class does the highest rally go to?
I'm up to R3 and can't imaging pulling too much more juice out of these machines over that.

thanks

e: by the way... I found... if you have a barn car that you don't care for or need some cash, you can sell of gift it in the Change Car section of Rally mode.

I'm guessing it's an error that will be patched because it's not available in regular mode. Also if you go back and try to go into a barn car you sold, it tries to give it to you but doesn't. so it's not a repetitive glitch... if you do this UNDERSTAND you will never get your barn car back.

I sold a few and am hoping it doesm't mess anything else up but so far no issues just more money and less cars taking up space in my garage. which reminds me why is there not a garage grouping feature like FM4 had?

I succumbed to temptation and picked up the rally pack, and you guys definitely weren't kidding about the difficulty; it really is a ball-buster. If nothing else, I'll be getting $20 of playtime out of this thing with restarts alone...

I've only finished the first Beaumont rally, but I'm already impressed by how they've managed to refresh the existing roads. The layouts may be familiar, but the added bumps and cambers are enough to make them feel completely different, and some stretches are scarcely recognizable from their asphalt counterparts. I only wish the reworked surfaces had included mud and snow as well.

Other than that, my only complaint is that the rally integration is a bit inelegant; it would have been preferable having the event posters located at their respective areas on the map instead of detached in another menu. Ignoring the game's biggest strength, the cohesiveness of its world, with this expansion is a bit of a puzzler.

Also, from a few pages back:

Free Roam Challenges

OK guys, if anyone wants to get the free roam challenges done we can meet up next weekend and I'll make sure that people who get into the lobby will get the achievement.

You might hate me after we done, but I'll make sure everything goes fast and smooth. Doesn't matter if you in the GAF club or not, anyone willing to meet next weekend please send me a message on xbox live.

My GT: H3rtZ DoNuT

Is this still going down this weekend? If so, and if there's room for an eighth, I'd like to get in on it.

Why did I have to watch TeamVVV videos of the different rally stages? Why...

It looks amazing, and far more than just re-skins of existing roads. Am still on the fence but I'm feeling some vertigo and the fence is about to fall over and I may be down twenty bucks soon.

derFeef

It looks amazing, and far more than just re-skins of existing roads. Am still on the fence but I'm feeling some vertigo and the fence is about to fall over and I may be down twenty bucks soon.

lol, same for me.

Shaneus

Wait. It'll be on sale soon, I reckon. If not during the Christmas holidays, then as a part of the MS Winter/Summer sale or whatever on XBL.

Top Bottom