• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon |OT| A Whole New Playground

RawNuts

I love "rally" suspension so damn much, I may even be using it on my road-going cars for regular races; it makes a lot of my setups very nice to drive.

G Rom

Long time since I last posted.
I got the season pass the other day and took some photos of the new cars. I also had some leftovers.

photo318sib0.jpg

photo33j5cx0.jpg

photo34k2e57.jpg

photo35stf1j.jpg

photo36spej8.jpg

photo37exigw.jpg

photo38lnfwh.jpg

photo39t8i7a.jpg

photo40umfpt.jpg

photo41vgd17.jpg

photo4279df5.jpg

photo43une8x.jpg

photo44iyc4k.jpg

photo45eieo6.jpg

photo46zsddw.jpg

photo47wnfs2.jpg

photo48gleod.jpg

photo49fxdcz.jpg

photo505ti9y.jpg

photo51kticz.jpg

Rally expansion is indeed really hard. It's been a long time since I played the game but still, even when I don't really make any big mistakes, I have a hard time getting in the top positions, and I'm only playing in normal with all assists off. I can't imagine what's the difficulty like in hard or insane...
I'm a bit disappointed that "rally upgrades for all cars" only means under the hood upgrades. I was already drooling to the thought of driving a 205 T16 Evo 2, a DS3 WRC or other rally cars which have their base versions in the game, just waiting to be upgraded.

I am really heartened by the thought that this is Playground's first go-round... Because this is a home run racing game. Also their next shot at it gets all the groundwork laid here with 2 or 3 more years of development and tons of next generation hardware power.

As much as I am already looking forward to Forza 5 next year-ish, the next Horizon is going to be a beast of a game.

Do we know how good overall sales have been? I've been recommending it to my friends and bought my brother in law a copy for X-mas, so I'm doing my part.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I am really heartened by the thought that this is Playground's first go-round... Because this is a home run racing game. Also their next shot at it gets all the groundwork laid here with 2 or 3 more years of development and tons of next generation hardware power.

As much as I am already looking forward to Forza 5 next year-ish, the next Horizon is going to be a beast of a game.

yeah, i'm already dreaming of where horizon 2 should be based and new features. france? weather? yes please.

zorbsie

You guys are killing me. The rally stuff looks great. I want to hold out for a sale price but I don't know if I can hold out. Going to see if I have enough points after all the holiday sales pass. Hoping Horizon will have a day of sales.

Zeth

Recently fell in love with this game. Tempted to get the Rally pack but then I think "might as well go for season pass". How much more content can I expect? Are there any more packs known? Cars monthly for a few more and some event packs I guess?

I've been replaying events after finishing the campaign so I'd love more content, I'm leaning BUY on the rally pack I think.

Just barely squeaked by with 1st on the tunnel of trees/S class rally. Holy shit. I can't even imagine how intense the R3 rally is going to be. =0

Arc07

Uhhh... does anyone see the next DLC pack in their autoshow lists? Won't let me download but I can take pictures of it if you guys want.

2012 Cadillac Escalade ESV
1995 Ford Mustang Cobra R
1983 GMC Vandura G-1500
2012 Lexus LFA Nurburgring Edition
2012 Lotus Exige S
2005 Mercedes-Benz SLR
2009 Pagani Zonda Cinque Roadster

Says "This is exclusive content and can not be purchased at this time" when I try to buy the car.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Uhhh... does anyone see the next DLC pack in their autoshow lists? Won't let me download but I can take pictures of it if you guys want.

2012 Cadillac Escalade ESV
1995 Ford Mustang Cobra R
1983 GMC Vandura G-1500
2012 Lexus LFA Nurburgring Edition
2012 Lotus Exige S
2005 Mercedes-Benz SLR
2009 Pagani Zonda Cinque Roadster

Says "This is exclusive content and can not be purchased at this time" when I try to buy the car.
You're about three days late. They appeared with the latest title update.

eggwolio

Do we know how good overall sales have been? I've been recommending it to my friends and bought my brother in law a copy for X-mas, so I'm doing my part.

I don't have any sales stats but am doing my part as well. I work at GameStop(for now) and recommend it to literally everyone who comes in. "Black Ops 2? Are you sure? The new Forza is incredible!" "Hey, did you ever think about trading in your PS3? You can't play Forza on it and you really should be playing Forza."

This game is without a doubt GOTY for me.

I don't have any sales stats but am doing my part as well. I work at GameStop(for now) and recommend it to literally everyone who comes in. "Black Ops 2? Are you sure? The new Forza is incredible!" "Hey, did you ever think about trading in your PS3? You can't play Forza on it and you really should be playing Forza."

Why I don't go to Gamestop.

NinjaJesus

Do I have to do anything special to get into the ForzaGAF car club? I'd like an invite if possible?

GT is the same as my GAF name.

eggwolio

Why I don't go to Gamestop.

Oh, the internet, where it impossible sometimes to read people's tone. I was kidding. I'm not that over the top about it. When people ask for a suggestion, I mention it, especially as a gift since it was easily overlooked by people with all of the other releases recently.

I disagree with lots of things about Gamestop, but some income is better than none, so I took the job when it was offered to me. Utility companies and landlords don't care whether or not your job makes you happy or satisfied, or if you agree with the ideals of your employer, they just want you to pay them.

because some people help guide others to intelligent choices? ;)

can someone tell me please is the VIP content (VIP cars specifically) on the Disc of the Limited Edition version or was it a download code?

It's a download code. Printed on your "Credentials" pass to the Horizon Festival. Kinda neat overall, but prolly not worth the full $80. There are occasionally special liveries that go out for VIPs, but I think if you miss them, there's no way to get them later. I was late to the LE and missed a couple.

Same.

And holy shit, you guys weren't joking about the difficulty of rally stages. Its oh so damn beautiful, but you're given zero margin for error. If you don't maintain your speed through every turn, or God forbid make even the smallest error, prepare to plummet in the rankings.

Its definitely improving my driving but its one hell of a humbling experience. This is with a controller, no assists except ABS, manual gearbox, medium difficulty. It was tough as nails just to come in under 10th place in the first set of stages, although I did come in 3rd on stage 3. But by the end of stage 4 I was in 25th place.

Gah.

I've found turning all the HUD off helps (except the speedometer for shifting purposes, and the rally signs because I find the codriver difficult to hear.)

The split times are very distracting and you need to be concentrating every second lest you fuck up.

Same.

And holy shit, you guys weren't joking about the difficulty of rally stages. Its oh so damn beautiful, but you're given zero margin for error. If you don't maintain your speed through every turn, or God forbid make even the smallest error, prepare to plummet in the rankings.

Its definitely improving my driving but its one hell of a humbling experience. This is with a controller, no assists except ABS, manual gearbox, medium difficulty. It was tough as nails just to come in under 10th place in the first set of stages, although I did come in 3rd on stage 3. But by the end of stage 4 I was in 25th place.

Gah.

That's a pretty good top 10 list, and yeah, this is one of my games of the year for sure.

So I gave it another go and through sheer force of will and amphetamine-zen-like concentration I was able to ace the first 3 stages of the Beaumont rally. I maybe would've aced stage 4 but a buddy needed a hand in Spartan Ops so I gave it one last mad dash and came in 6th, which still put me at #1 for the event overall. Victory, at last, and one fewer serving of humble pie :)

It really came down to pushing myself to drive even further on the edge than I've ever been used to. Trees, rocks and bushes became my apexes, and all caution was sacrificed on the pyre of speed.

What a fucking rush. It took me about 10 minutes to come down from finishing that event, and that was only the first event, at class B no less. Looking forward to much more of this.

A question though: Is there a way in single player to choose an individual stage to run at any point, or are you always limited to selecting an event and then doing each stage in order. Just curious really.

So I gave it another go and through sheer force of will and amphetamine-zen-like concentration I was able to ace the first 3 stages of the Beaumont rally. I maybe would've aced stage 4 but a buddy needed a hand in Spartan Ops so I gave it one last mad dash and came in 6th, which still put me at #1 for the event overall. Victory, at last, and one fewer serving of humble pie :)

It really came down to pushing myself to drive even further on the edge than I've ever been used to. Trees, rocks and bushes became my apexes, and all caution was sacrificed on the pyre of speed.

What a fucking rush. It took me about 10 minutes to come down from finishing that event, and that was only the first event, at class B no less. Looking forward to much more of this.

A question though: Is there a way in single player to choose an individual stage to run at any point, or are you always limited to selecting an event and then doing each stage in order. Just curious really.

You can choose each stage individually in Rivals. But it doesn't count towards placing in the event, you need to do all four stages in a row to do that. (I think)

Must be around 700K , at this momment theres almost that many users in the Leaderboards, if you add those who dont connect and remove those who got the game used, i think the sales are around that.
Which is kind of disappointing, the game deserves more (especialy when you see that crap called GT PSP selling 4 millions!). I hope they end up over a million to secure a sequel.

And i hope MS learns to not release an arcade racer next to a big Halo tittle with little to none marketing, they damaged PGR4 with this and they did it again with Forza Horizon.

Shaneus

Must be around 700K , at this momment theres almost that many users in the Leaderboards, if you add those who dont connect and remove those who got the game used, i think the sales are around that.
Which is kind of disappointing, the game deserves more (especialy when you see that crap called GT PSP selling 4 millions!). I hope they end up over a million to secure a sequel.

And i hope MS learns to not release an arcade racer next to a big Halo tittle with little to none marketing, they damaged PGR4 with this and they did it again with Forza Horizon.
Wow... it didn't click until just then, but you're exactly right. PGR4 was doomed with bugger-all marketing and a Halo game to compete with, just as Horizon was.

Damn. Those Bizarre guys at Playground just can't catch a break!

Like 2600 says you can do it in Rivals. It is disappointing that there's no 'single/exhibition event' or time trial where you can run any stage with any class vehicle, seems the stages and the classes are tied to one another.

I suppose you could make a private multiplayer lobby, pick a stage and a class, and do it that way but then you don't get any credits or XP I imagine.

op_ivy

its a snow day - which finally pushed me to pressing the button on the rally DLC.

=)

op_ivy

1 race done - this is fucking awesome! i had my doubts, especially for the price, but i'm a believer. the handling is ace, the roads are quite bumpy and rally-esque, i want a whole game like this! best rally since rbr and rsc2 IMO

op_ivy

stage 1's hairpins! stage 2's jumps! this is really soooo god.

getting first by 2-2.5 seconds on medium after a restart or two (to learn the tricky spots).

Just wait until you get to the night rally.

I hope you guys now that you can race all the rally stages online at time of the day that you want?

You can race them all at night, evening, midday and dawn, if you don't feel like racing with others then setup a private game just for yourself :)

Trailer for the Rally expansion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0OT2lVjIhM

Looks good enough that I will buy it!

I hope you guys now that you can race all the rally stages online at time of the day that you want?

You can race them all at night, evening, midday and dawn, if you don't feel like racing with others then setup a private game just for yourself :)
Good thinking!

I need to stop going to Fanatecs website
I keep spending money.

look at them trolling with the clubsport shifter in the picture

Basically the inch of play I was never able to get rid of on my wheel stand drove me to this. I didn't use my wheel that much because it was so distracting.

HeliosT10

Really pleased that most people who bought it are enjoying the rally expansion :)

Anyone uncovered a car from the main game that's a beast on the rally stages? I'm hearing good things about the RS200.

Really pleased that most people who bought it are enjoying the rally expansion :)

Anyone uncovered a car from the main game that's a beast on the rally stages? I'm hearing good things about the RS200.

Wouldn't call them beast but the RS 4 & the Quattro have been fun to drive.

Definitely enjoying it myself. You guys at PG dun gud.

I used an RS200 for the Kettle Hills rally, and at S700 it's quite a handful, with rampant oversteer punctuated by bursts of savage acceleration. Rotates very well around tighter corners and hairpins, but with its lack of weight it's also easily unsettled by bumps and hard landings.

275 mm's worth of rubber can scarcely contain the fury as it is, so I imagine I'll be spending a fair bit of time careening off into the countryside in the R3 Red Rock events... and loving every moment of it.

protip for rally, don't use the 5 cars in the DLC they all have terrible speeds when tuned, go use the 22B for A class and thank me later.

After watching the trailer for the rally expansion I really REALLY want replay cameras, for feck sake can we not just get the tripod camera mode that was planned for forza 3 so we can export our own angles and splice them together? Horizon's replay mode is just floating cameras randomized and it BLOWS.

enough said.

Top Bottom