• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon |OT| A Whole New Playground

Klocker

going to the Auoshow in Rally mode there are a bunch of cars noted as new that are not available to DL yet. Regular cars.

wonder if it is the january pack?

so far I see
'12 Lexus LFA Nurburgring Edition,
'95 Ford Cobra R,
Exige S,
MB SLR '05,
'09 Pagani Zonda Cinque,
GMC Vandura,
'12 Escalade

oh and I'l say this about the initial couple of races. Where Dirt3 felt like I was floating (think Wipeout) these cars feel grounded and I think the Forza driving model makes a huge difference in a realistic feel.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for this. Looks like I'll skip it.

Also the 3 token "Rally All-Access Pass" made me groan. Pay to unlock events in a $20 race-only DLC pack? I'd rather these events were just unlocked from the get-go.

But regardless I *do* love the base game.

Yeah. I'm going to wait for a sale.

Thanks for this. Looks like I'll skip it.

Also the 3 token "Rally All-Access Pass" made me groan. Pay to unlock events in a $20 race-only DLC pack? I'd rather these events were just unlocked from the get-go.

But regardless I *do* love the base game.
By pay you mean in game money right?

And is that every time you enter the event or just initially?

So to be clear, it is the same roads with different track surfaces on it. Right? Really want to play the rally stuff. But I'm waiting for a price drop. I just feel like the play area isn't that big to begin with. I was really hoping that the rally expansion would actually be an expansion and add to the play area. The way it's set up now, I don't know, just feels cheap.

Can't believe I went from buying the LE, a season pass and every extra car pack in FM4 to buying the standard version, not buying a season pass and only buying 1 car pack in FH. The nickel and dimeing feels a little overboard with this game.

Yes and No. There are new parts mixed in with some redone areas.

going to the Auoshow in Rally mode there are a bunch of cars noted as new that are not available to DL yet. Regular cars.

so far I see
'95 Ford Cobra R,
Exige S,
MB SLR '05,
'09 Pagani Zonda Cinque,
GMC Vandura,
'12 Escalade

oh and I'l say this about the initial couple of races. Where Dirt3 felt like I was floating (think Wipeout) these cars feel grounded and I think the Forza driving model makes a huge difference in a realistic feel.

Hmm, now this is interesting. That really does sound like it could be the next car pack.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

so far I see
'95 Ford Cobra R,
Exige S,
MB SLR '05,
'09 Pagani Zonda Cinque,
GMC Vandura,
'12 Escalade
I noticed that as well. It was bugging the shit out of me having NEW labels on so many things and no way to get rid of it.

hmm... so if I decided to purchase a wheel, which would you recommend?
I have the MS Wireless Racing Wheel. It's awesome but that bad news is it's out of production. You can pick them up used though:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000VBIGK4/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all

I hear good things about the speed wheel but, no pedals and also I'm not sure how I'd like having to hold it up in the air the whole time.

Maybe some other people here could give you ideas about 3rd party wheels, I don't have any experience with them unfortunately.

Klocker

Hmm, now this is interesting. That really does sound like it could be the next car pack.

yea probably a mistake exposing them in game ... thought of spoiler tagging it?

I guess everyone will see it everywhere anyway. :)

edit:

I really don;t understand why they could not have just Incorporated these Rally segments into the main map where you drive up to the area just like Street races? makes no sense to me to have it be a separate game mode. I know it's not much difference but the immersion factor inside an open world would feel much better, even if the tracks were inaccessible outside of rallies.

From the vid there was one pass to unlock all rally events so you could race them in any order, so its looks like a one time thing. The price? 3 credit tokens. And of course, you need to spend real money/spacebucks to buy these tokens.

I know some would look at this pass as a harmless optional convenience transaction, but I look at it as an inconvenience added to the game by design to encourage real money transactions.

This is a joke right?
Just to be precise, this is entirely optional. You don't need to spend anything. Its just annoying to see a $20 DLC pack try to grab even more cash.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
From the vid there was one pass to unlock all rally events so you could race them in any order, so its looks like a one time thing. The price? 3 credit tokens. And of course, you need to spend real money/spacebucks to buy these tokens.

I know some would look at this pass as a harmless optional convenience transaction, but I look at it as an inconvenience added to the game by design to encourage real money transactions.
This is a joke right?

U2NUMB

You can unlock all the events for 3 tokens.. which cost real money. You do not have to but if you want the flexibility of going into any rally event you want you can by paying more money on top of the 20 dollars for the dlc. Big turn off for me but it can be ignored.

Anyone else wonder if the cost of this DLC pack is to somehow justify the season pass price? Meaning if this is the ONLY real expansion we get and then a bunch of car packs.. justifying a 50 dollar season pass might be tough unless you overprice the expansion pack.

ironcreed

Banned
I am loving the game itself to death, but I may wait on the Rally pack as well. This review says that it is only about an hour and a half worth of content and the extra cars are pretty sparse. Then again, I did only pay $15.00 for the main game brand new, but this still seems a little light for a $20.00 so called expansion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-u-WcdNuNs

An hour and a half is quite disheartening. I was really hoping for more cars and the tracks to actually be incorporated in the the game. I will check it out tonight, but my hype is dropping quite fast.

Anyone else wonder if the cost of this DLC pack is to somehow justify the season pass price? Meaning if this is the ONLY real expansion we get and then a bunch of car packs.. justifying a 50 dollar season pass might be tough unless you overprice the expansion pack.

I don't know about that, but it could be a justification for NOT reducing the price of the DLC for a while. If they dropped this to $15 or $10 the people that bought the season pass would throw a fit (and I'd understand why).

When the Season Pass was first available, did we know this would be a $20 DLC? Or was it just X car packs and one expansion?

Oh lame. Why would someone spend $20 for this and then spend even more money just to cheat their way through it? Makes no sense to me.

As long as I can progress through it on my own I don't care too much but it's still dumb.

I played for a bit this morning and I really enjoyed it. It might just be me being rusty or actually just me being a piss-poor player overall but its pretty damn tough just to finish in the top 10 on the normal difficulty level.

Klocker

lame... when you upgrade road cars to rally config they do not have light kits or other external rally gear upgrades... so 5 cars are the only ones that appear as "legit" rally cars.
Also no way to know in regular garage which cars you have rally upgrades on but those cars appear in your rally menu garage. (as do all cars if you hit that button to show them).

but.... I will definitely play and probably replay the rally mode while I own this game as the driving really is nice and so is the variety in the few courses I have attempted so far.

I have the speed wheel and in normal game it is definitely harder and in rally as well.

also yes these tracks to me, feel and appear completely new and the surfaces are really well done. WhereTF is my snow??

As long as I can progress through it on my own I don't care too much but it's still dumb.
Yep. Just dumb.

And just a recommendation to Playground/Turn 10 - if you want to expand an open world game, the DLC should seamlessly add new areas to explore and race events in. You should look at expanding the game map, not creating new standalone modes. If the rally content was an expansion to the map I'd guess almost everyone here would pick it up. Hell, I wouldn't even hesitate.

But since the expansion is only specific events, a metric like 1.5 hours to clear really matters. If this expansion was an additional play area that 1.5 hours wouldn't mean nearly as much.

lame... when you upgrade road cars to rally config they do not have light kits or other external rally gear upgrades... so 5 cars are the only ones that appear as "legit" rally cars.
Also no way to know in regular garage which cars you have rally upgrades on but those cars appear in your rally menu garage. (as do all cars if you hit that button to show them).

but.... I will definitely play and probably replay the rally mode while I own this game as the driving really is noce and so is the variety in the few corses I have attempted so far.

I have the speedwheel and in normal game it is definitely harder and in rally as well.

also yes these tracks to me, feel and appear completely new and the surfaces are really well done. WhereTF is my snow??

Wait a minute, are you saying:

* If you upgrade a car to rally, it stays upgraded that way in normal game (that's good)
* In the normal game, there is no way to know which cars have rally upgrades, and nothing in the ratings that indicate this (NOT good!)

?

Edit: Can you upgrade any car to rally? Just certain cars? Certain class of cars? For instance, could I upgrade a 1988 Countach to rally? How about the Hummer?

ironcreed

Banned
Driving around in the snow in Colorado seems like a no-brainer. Would love just one area on the map in a higher elevation where there is snow and an actual snow storm to ride around in.

Klocker

Wait a minute, are you saying:

* If you upgrade a car to rally, it stays upgraded that way in normal game (that's good)
* In the normal game, there is no way to know which cars have rally upgrades, and nothing in the ratings that indicate this (NOT good!)

?

Edit: Can you upgrade any car to rally? Just certain cars? Certain class of cars? For instance, could I upgrade a 1988 Countach to rally? How about the Hummer?

yes when you upgrade to rally it stays that way in normal garage/game.

No there is no way to tell if you have rally upgrades on normal cars unless you go into upgrade settings and check. they do appear as driveable rally cars in Rally mode.

Those Normal cars (not included in expansion) do not show nor have bumper/hood upgrades that put the rally light/bumper kits on them to visably see. only the five (six if you have seaosn pass) included rally cars have those kits

yes you can put rally Tires, shocks, trannies on ANY car and race in rally mode (if the race allows that class) I have only gotten into B and A rallies so far and do not how high the class rallies go yet

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
An hour and a half is quite disheartening. I was really hoping for more cars and the tracks to actually be incorporated in the the game. I will check it out tonight, but my hype is dropping quite fast.

i'm not all that concerned about the time investment to race each stage once, more how likely will i be to TT each stage on my own.

anyone have a figure for number of psp stages? are they all about 2 minutes as seen in videos?

i'm not all that concerned about the time investment to race each stage once, more how likely will i be to TT each stage on my own.

anyone have a figure for number of psp stages? are they all about 2 minutes as seen in videos?
Tracks mainly range from 2-4 minutes. 4 stages per event (at least all the ones I've played so far). There's a rally playlist in multiplayer from what I've read and rival events for every stage.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Tracks mainly range from 2-4 minutes. 4 stages per event (at least all the ones I've played so far). There's a rally playlist in multiplayer from what I've read and rival events for every stage.

that sounds like a decent amount then actually, and i could definitely see myself getting a lot of playtime out of pushing my best.

would anyone be down for a weekly time attack thingy?

DD

So it's just some small events, not a long points based rally championship? I'll pass.

Here I come, WRC 3!

IISANDERII

It's been pretty crazy to see everyone turn on this game over the last few weeks. I picked it up around Black Friday and have been really enjoying it so far, but it seems like people who jumped in earlier are not digging it as much anymore.

This thread was like 34 pages of "I love this game!" but recently it shifted rather abruptly to negative town.

What happened?
I never really loved it but didn't want to engage in thread-shitting.

Doodis

And just a recommendation to Playground/Turn 10 - if you want to expand an open world game, the DLC should seamlessly add new areas to explore and race events in. You should look at expanding the game map, not creating new standalone modes. If the rally content was an expansion to the map I'd guess almost everyone here would pick it up. Hell, I wouldn't even hesitate.

But since the expansion is only specific events, a metric like 1.5 hours to clear really matters. If this expansion was an additional play area that 1.5 hours wouldn't mean nearly as much.

Gotta agree with this. At $20 and not being integrated into the overall map, I'm skipping it, even though the rally racing looks super fun. If it was half the price, or integrated into the overall map at the full price for free roaming, I might have bought in.

Okay, for the canyon rally they really have just switched out tarmac roads for dirt... that entire run up towards the observatory is now dirt.

I guess that explains why they can't integrate it in to the existing world because they've changed some road types.

For the asking price of 1600 points it really should have been a bunch of new roads connected to the main map via a tunnel or something, like paradise city's island expansion.

I do feel a little robbed on this DLC but it is fun, just hold out for a sale if you have other things to play right now.

It is balls hard.

After playing the main game on hardcore or whatever the top challenge is, I am having trouble doing remotely well in rally on NORMAL lol, it's nuts.

If you are down to 20th + by about half way you will never make it back to first, it's impossible even with perfect corners.

god I hate the multi setup in this game, you join a game 6/8, select your car, get ready to race then find the race actually started while you were selecting, fuck!

Can there not be a countdown tick or something, I only spent like 8 seconds selecting my car...

Jesus, this rally shit is hard as hell! I like to think I am pretty good, but I am having a hard time placing in single digits.
I was having trouble at first but I got the hang of it. Just started being a bit more aggressive to be honest. Initially I was being too cautious afraid of wrecking or what not, but once I started basically just going near full blast into the corners, it worked a lot better. Just find a good handling car and you'll be set.

Does changing opponent AI difficulty do anything in rally, I wonder?

They really should give us adjustable voice volume, I can barely hear my co driver by the way.

Top Bottom