• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon |OT| A Whole New Playground

I suggest the speed wheel, I was using it to put down better times than everyone in my car club in FM4, some of whom had fancy Logitech and Fanatec wheel setups. it's not perfect but the MS Speed Wheel will let you get better at sim racing without the investment of hundreds of bucks and a wheel stand.

Exactly, I see it as a nice little "starter" wheel. It helps you get used to how wheels work, how much turning radius you need, etc. And then once you get good with that, you can consider shelling out the crazy money for a new one.

I really REALLY like the Speed Wheel. It has shockingly good sensors and lets you really fine tune how much steering you put into the cars. It does really well at smooth movements and small increments. It is really worth a look.

Coldsnap

Exactly, I see it as a nice little "starter" wheel. It helps you get used to how wheels work, how much turning radius you need, etc. And then once you get good with that, you can consider shelling out the crazy money for a new one.

I really REALLY like the Speed Wheel. It has shockingly good sensors and lets you really fine tune how much steering you put into the cars. It does really well at smooth movements and small increments. It is really worth a look.

Great to hear it's a good product! I mean at $30.. why not? Just worried about the whole manual transmission thing.. and I'm assuming you don't need to hold it up in the air like these two lovely people:

wireless-wheel-amz-life1-lg.jpg

I love the Wireless Speed Wheel. You can rest it on your lap, and it's not tiring at all. It really helps to smooth out your driving style, compared to a pad.
My only disappointment was that in Forza 4 you can shift gears on the speed wheel with the d-pad, and that option didn't seem to be available in the Forza Horizon demo (where you can only shift gears with the buttons).

kazinova

I love the Wireless Speed Wheel. You can rest it on your lap, and it's not tiring at all. It really helps to smooth out your driving style, compared to a pad.
My only disappointment was that in Forza 4 you can shift gears on the speed wheel with the d-pad, and that option didn't seem to be available in the Forza Horizon demo (where you can only shift gears with the buttons).

Yeah, my prefered setup was absentin the demo as well (clutch on dpad-up, shift on X/B) can anyone with a review copy confirm the controller options?

Yeah I can vouch for the Speed Wheel as well. Suprisingly accurate. Only real issue is the strange omission of the bumper buttons.

I throw a pillow on my left and right to rest my elbows on and it is great. Need to dig mine back out for FH.

The_Monk

I still don't understand why companies do staggered release dates anymore. We are heavily globalized and it just doesn't make sense to make you guys wait 3 days for no real reason. Everyone still does it and I am not sure why.

That's not even my main concern. Releases on Friday is always dangerous. If, for some reason they don't get the Horizon on stock I'll have to wait two more days to get it probably.

I'm hoping they can have it on Friday, please please.

Dave_6

Cancelled my preorder for the LE on Amazon :/ Love the demo but can't justify spending $80 for a game that I may not play that much in the end (like I did with Forza 4). Still will buy the regular edition at some point though.

I still don't understand why companies do staggered release dates anymore. We are heavily globalized and it just doesn't make sense to make you guys wait 3 days for no real reason. Everyone still does it and I am not sure why.

UK market seems to love friday releases, I love it as I have the weekend off work but it does get in the way.

I own a G27 for my PS3. Tempted to buy a speedwheel, but I don't know if it will satisfy me. Is the wheel also recommended for people who have , no pun intended, a real wheel?

Is the wheel's functionality similar to sticking a wiimote into that plastic Mario Kart wheel? I hated that. Never felt accurate whatsoever. Is this better than that?

Just played demo with m CSR elite and csp pedals with h shifter. Ffb is brilliant. 900 deg. works perfectly even better then f4. Rallying is just great. This game is going to give countless hours of fun. My only gripe is the loud shifter.

derFeef

Is the wheel's functionality similar to sticking a wiimote into that plastic Mario Kart wheel? I hated that. Never felt accurate whatsoever. Is this better than that?

Miles better. Got one a week ago. Forza 4 plays really well, after getting used to of course and tune down the steering a bit.

It is significantly better than the wiimote deal. Uses an actual gyroscope and an accelerometer together. Much much more accurate.

It is not a ffb wheel though. It is a controller.

Also rumble is light. We guess the vibration screws up the sensor.

I own a G27 for my PS3. Tempted to buy a speedwheel, but I don't know if it will satisfy me. Is the wheel also recommended for people who have , no pun intended, a real wheel?

It's best not to look at it like that. It won't satisfy under those expectations. It's not a "real wheel" after all. However, is it more fun while being just as accurate as a regular controller? Yes.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Well, the good news is that I am getting a free copy from my boss. The bad news is that I don't know when it will get here, and I've got nothing to do until then.

How many times can I play this demo or replay Sleeping Dogs? Let's find out.

DD

Wow, I always though that the speed wheel was shit. Started looking for one in the online stores and...

It's f*ckin' 300 hundred dollars here!!!

It's sucks to live in this black hole...

Coldsnap

Wow, I always though that the speed wheel was shit. Started looking for one in the online stores and...

holy shit $300.. it's $29.95 on amazon here!

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

Wha...?

That can't be right. Where do you live?

It is really too bad this game doesn't have more hype. It seems like the perfect racing game as it hits both the sim guys and the arcade guys. Plus who doesn't like screaming through traffic in a supercar or flying through the dirt in a modified shitbox?

I sort of expected this game to fly under the radar but after the reviews and such, I thought this game would take off. Hopefully once the game comes out we will get some word of mouth to help sell this game better. As it is, I don't see it breaking the top 20 in the Oct NPDs unless something crazy happens.

Snubbers

I suggest the speed wheel, I was using it to put down better times than everyone in my car club in FM4, some of whom had fancy Logitech and Fanatec wheel setups. it's not perfect but the MS Speed Wheel will let you get better at sim racing without the investment of hundreds of bucks and a wheel stand.

I have the speed wheel and 2 fanatec wheels, I'm considerably faster with the fanatec wheels then the speed wheel... You are probably faster then your car club because you are just faster then them full-stop..

The speed wheel is the next immersive step up from a pad, I enjoy using it when sat on a sofa, deffo worth the money!

Shaneus

I've received my codes for the Merc and the Golf pre-order bonuses and I'm buying a second hand MS Force Feedback wheel tomorrow. I are ready.

The_Monk

It is really too bad this game doesn't have more hype. It seems like the perfect racing game as it hits both the sim guys and the arcade guys. Plus who doesn't like screaming through traffic in a supercar or flying through the dirt in a modified shitbox?

I sort of expected this game to fly under the radar but after the reviews and such, I thought this game would take off. Hopefully once the game comes out we will get some word of mouth to help sell this game better. As it is, I don't see it breaking the top 20 in the Oct NPDs unless something crazy happens.

Give it one more week. Tuesday and then Friday will be when things start to happen.

I have my Pre-order up, it's the Limited Edition. I could go for a Season Pass but I'm 900 MS Points short and I only see packs of 800 or 1200 MS Points so that's a shame. I really want the Rally Pack coming in December but I can't help but feel that "if I get one of these DLC's might as well grab all of them." Money is short and me and the lady are saving for the future.

As soon those badass GAFfers start to take awesome pictures things will fly too.
Watching people driving in groups, just chilling in free roam or doing something funny will also be a good thing to build some hype.

Hey Helios if you have by any chance some 900 MS Points lying around for a Forza fan here it is a photo to show some Loyalty. :p

p37Pwl.jpg

Many, many races were done, ah the memories. :)

DD

300 dollars...damn. Can't you buy it from amazon or another online retailer?

That's a lot os Reais man. You can't order from other place? I even know people who ordered from here (Portugal) to Brazil. It's a long ride but they did for games like Uncharted.

Its R$299 on walmart

You can find for R$180 on ML.

Yeah, my brother is going to USA next month. Maybe I'll ask him to buy one of these.

Anyway, look what I've found on the mall today:

dsc08670p1sqw.jpg

The race to the festival put a smile on my face! :D

Well done, Turn 10 and Playground Games. Well done!

EDIT: Helios and/or Badned, where do my pictures go? Can't find them in my gallery in forzamotorsport.net

Do they go somewhere else or are they locked?

EDIT 2: GZUZ Christ, this game is GLORIOUS!

Raven77

Couple of questions about the game. I'm still miffed about the "rally expansion" being held out from the retail game but alas, its the world we live in.

1. Can I just get in a car and drive wherever I want? I really want to just go fast and go anywhere i want without having to complete 200 "events". (not that I dont want to do the events, I just like cruising sometimes)

2. How "open world" is it really? Can I just go "off road" whenever I want?

2.5 Can I take my Ferrari into the forest (like literally), or drive it off a cliff?

3. Does it have a full day to night cycle?

Thanks.

Does anyone know the approximate size of the map or have any idea how it would break down in total driving area vs. Forza 3/4?

I didn't play Forza 4, but I did buy 3. It was fun and all, but I expected a bit more out of it since it was the first sim racing game I bought this generation. Also, in fairness, I still had an standard definition TV at the time, which was surely holding the game back. Basically, I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as GT 3/4. The track selection wasn't nearly as good and the campaign wasn't anything special.

So, I didn't get Forza 4 and I don't have a PS3. I think sim racing mixed with the open map sounds awesome. The demo was pretty good but didn't totally sell me. To anyone who has read into Horizon, does the campaign seem up to par? Are there any other details that are really cool that people might not know about?

DD

Couple of questions about the game. I'm still miffed about the "rally expansion" being held out from the retail game but alas, its the world we live in.

1. Can I just get in a car and drive wherever I want? I really want to just go fast and go anywhere i want without having to complete 200 "events". (not that I dont want to do the events, I just like cruising sometimes)

2. How "open world" is it really? Can I just go "off road" whenever I want?

2.5 Can I take my Ferrari into the forest (like literally), or drive it off a cliff?

3. Does it have a full day to night cycle?

Thanks.

1 - Yes, you can run around as you please.

2 and 2.5 - You'll stick with the streets, roads, offroad sections and some open areas. It's not open like TDU or Fuel. It's more like Burnout Paradise and MC:LA. You'll stay on the roads; that's where the cars belong. Some people say that Horizon is not an open world game, but except for a design decision (country roads instead of a big city), it's the same thing. The game's engine seems capable to produce something like Midnight Club LA if they wanted to. There are some small cities around the map, by the way. But thanks to Gzuz they decided to make it different, because I'm kind of tired of games based on open cities. Horizon is fresh air, I'm telling you... :)

3 - Yes, and it's glorious!

Does anyone know the approximate size of the map or have any idea how it would break down in total driving area vs. Forza 3/4?

I didn't play Forza 4, but I did buy 3. It was fun and all, but I expected a bit more out of it since it was the first sim racing game I bought this generation. Also, in fairness, I still had an standard definition TV at the time, which was surely holding the game back. Basically, I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as GT 3/4. The track selection wasn't nearly as good and the campaign wasn't anything special.

So, I didn't get Forza 4 and I don't have a PS3. I think sim racing mixed with the open map sounds awesome. The demo was pretty good but didn't totally sell me. To anyone who has read into Horizon, does the campaign seem up to par? Are there any other details that are really cool that people might not know about?
I've played Forza 1, 3 and 4, and Horizon is a TOTALLY different experience. You can't really compare Horizon with Motorsport.

About the map size, I bought the game yesterday, so I didn't had the time to explore it properly, but it seemed ok big. Not GIGANTIC like Fuel or HUGE like TDU, but it seems big enough to not get tiresome.

Megasoum

Banned
So...anyone getting the season pass? Feel like I'm the only one.

Nope...now that we know that there's only one expansion and then a bunch of car packs I will skip the pass. I might buy the Rally DLC if it looks cool but I don't care for car packs... TherE's more than enough cars in the game for me right now.

This may sound weird but even if I LOVE car games (especially sims) I don't really care for the cars lol... As long as I have enough to get a good variety then I'm good. I put MUCH more importance on the track selection in a game than the car selection (doesn't really apply for Horizon of course since there's no actual track but anyway).

Top Bottom