• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza JGTC pics

Gek54

Features and options are neglgible when actual racing is hampered by a piss poor frame rate. Framerate is the reason why I was disgusted with PGR2 and went back to the smooth racing of PGR1. I am not going to say that online isnt important but racing at 30fps is still no bueno.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Ah, framerate, truly grasping at straws for the ignorant fanboy.

Actually, I'd say it is more ignorant of you to decide what is important to people. Framerate is EXTREMELY important to me in every game (even for an RPG). Do you know how disappointing it was to see those 60 fps menus in Shadow Hearts 2 only to find out the game only runs at 30 fps? Yeah, it was crushing for me...

Basically, this has nothing to do with GT4 or anything else. It's a racer and it isn't 60 fps. I don't care WHAT the game is or what it is going against; THAT is a disappointment.

dark10x

However, declaring a game "shit" because of its framerate, without regard to any of the areas it excels and innovates in, and without even PLAYING it (like so many little trolls before your post), is righteously fucking retarded. It's about as sensible as someone declaring GT4 "shit" because it doesn't have full scene AA.

Hmm, I never said that. I don't think the game is shit for that reason. I've enjoyed many games with less than perfect framerates. I believe it simply adds a lot to the experience when the framerate is high, though. :)

I just thought you were in err to suggest that a framerate complaint was just a fanboyish excuse to slam something...

thorns

Banned
I don't personally find GT4 better looking than Forza. When you're racing looks doesn't matter that much anyways. Only thing that bothers me most in racing games is the lack of AA, it's one genre where AA makes a huge difference IMHO.

PGR2 is one of my favorite racing games and I can't comprehend how 30fps would stop somebody from enjoying the game unless you are obssessed with framerate and/or basically anal. TOCA 2 is 60fps but is nowhere as good as PGR2 since the cars control like they're floating, although the AI is pretty nice.

Online racing IS the best part of sim racing for me, number of cars/tracks doesn't matter that much, you can just drive one track on the same car over and over again and if it's online and you're racing with competent people you won't easily get bored. Though mostly online arenas are filled with ppl who have ADD and can't handle anything more than 3 laps..

Other features like Online, AI and damage are much more important than framerate or photorealistic looks (and Forza looks to me perfectly photorealistic as well). I don't really care if the cars are modelled with 100% accuracy or not, as long as the physics is deep enough for convincing racing.

To me it seems like GT4 is more bent on adding non-racing features (photo mode, b-spec) and foregoing essential racing features such as half decent AI, online racing and car damage.

thorns said:
To me it seems like GT4 is more bent on adding non-racing features (photo mode, b-spec) and foregoing essential racing features such as half decent AI, online racing and car damage.

The physics engine in GT4 is much improved over the previous games which is the main thing that needs to work right in a sim racing game. It also has the FF wheel which helps alot in giving you the feeling of driving.

dark10x

PGR2 is one of my favorite racing games and I can't comprehend how 30fps would stop somebody from enjoying the game unless you are obssessed with framerate and/or basically anal.

Well, it really does depend on the person. Some people are simply more sensitive to framerate. I know people who can't truly see a difference between 30 and 60 fps...whereas it is like night and day for me.

You're lucky if framerate doesn't bother you, though. :)

Seems image quality does, though. That's an area that doesn't bother me much. I'd sooner drop a PC game down to 640x480 with no AA or AF before turning down details. I don't mind low resolutions as long as the game runs really well. I'd rather have a 60 fps PGR2 with Ridge Racer V image quality over what we actually got. :p

m0dus said:
And, in that vein, such a prejudiced perspective is hardly a position to call me or ANYONE else ignorant, to throw my term back at you. You can't deal with 30 fps? Fair enough. However, declaring a game "shit" because of its framerate, without regard to any of the areas in which it excels and innovates, and without even PLAYING it (like so many little trolls before your post), is righteously fucking retarded. It's about as sensible as someone declaring GT4 "shit" because it doesn't have full scene AA.

"Features and options are neglgible when actual racing is hampered by a piss poor frame rate."

And on the day graphic whore was redefined, we stood in awe and watched . . . You know, I think Driving Emotion Type S ran 60fps! OMGTEHPGR2KILLAH! ;-p

I'd say the only limitation here is your mindset. If you absolutely CAN'T deal with the game's framerate, then I'm sorry, frankly, it's your loss. Do we need to keep hearing about it? hell no.

omg lol. Your posts make me laugh so much. You're one of those fat losers on the computer all day who likes talking "big" on the internet, when in reality, you're a pathetic, shy loner. But please, keep it up. lol.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
God's Hand said:
omg lol. Your posts make me laugh so much. You're one of those fat losers on the computer all day who likes talking "big" on the internet, when in reality, you're a pathetic, shy loner. But please, keep it up. lol.

LOL, this is probably the dumbest post I've read in a long, long while.

"omg lol. Your posts make me laugh so much. You're one of those fat losers on the computer all day who likes talking "big" on the internet, when in reality, you're a pathetic, shy loner. But please, keep it up. lol."

You've just insulated 90% of the forum.

Pug

As I've said Dark Prologue GT4 is nice and smooth but boy does it shimmer. Pop up is evident all over the place, in fact the new pic Thorns posted below of the S bends and 180 bend is a course in prologue. On that corner a specatator stand pops out of nowhere. Both the shimmering and pop up affect gameplay as it makes judging corners very difficult. Polyphony have relaised this as the NY track not only contains arrows pointing to next corner it has flashing lights on them. The reason? The track shimmers like mad, and it is difficult to pick out the corners till the last second (especially playing PGR2 before hand then going to prologue) oh and the lighting in NY is not that hot either. Fact is its a judgement by developers Bizarre on one hand implimented FSAA that makes the game very clean with 8 cars on screen at 30fps, Polyphony have 60 FPS, quite bad shimmering, pop up and 6 cars. You makes your choice.

Basing GT4's graphics on a Prologue that's going on being a year old isn't that good of a way to tell its graphics. People that have played the newer builds have said the graphics engine has improve quite a bit since then.

dark10x

Pug said:
As I've said Dark Prologue GT4 is nice and smoth but boy does it shimmer. Pop up is evident all over the place, in fact the new pic Thorns posted below of the S bends and 180 bend is a course in prologue. On that corner a specatator stand pops out of nowhere. Both the shimmering and pop up affect gameplay as it makes judging corners very difficult. Polyphony have relaised this as the NY track not only contains arrows pointing to next corner it has flashing lights on them. The reason the track shimmers like mad, and it is difficult to pick out the corners till the last second (especially playing PGR2 before hand then going to prologue) oh and the lighting in NY is not that hot either. Fact is its a judgement by developers Bizarre on one hand implimented FSAA that makes the game very clean with 8 cars on screen at 30fps, Polyphony have 60 FPS, quite bad shimmering, pop up and 6 cars. You makes your choice.

Oh, I have made my choice. I'd much rather deal with poor image quality. I honestly don't mind the shimmering. Reminds me of Model 3 games, for some reason...

Gek54

Pug said:
Both the shimmering and pop up affect gameplay as it makes judging corners very difficult. Polyphony have relaised this as the NY track not only contains arrows pointing to next corner it has flashing lights on them.

Oh come on, it is a huge straight away that ends with a tight 90 degree turn. Even with the arrows people plowed into that corner. People are not going to want to brake that early even if the turn is perfectly clear with full AA. But if you dont want to play any game that is not full AA then how is that any more valid that anyone who has a problem with 30fps?

Pug

gek54 all I'm saying is that shimmering and pop up affect gameplay, for me just as much as 30fps does (and the lights are on more than one corner is I remember, and the course does shimmer like mad). Personally I couldn,t give 2 hoots I have both PGR2 and prologue and I have enjoyed both. As will 99% of gamers who have no idea what framerate is. I'm looking forward to GT4 but I know it doesn't look as clean the screens shown.

Gek54

Pug said:
I'm looking forward to GT4 but I know it doesn't look as clean the screens shown.

Which is also the case with most every game where the devs release high resolution pictures. Bizzare is guilty of the same. Come on, I would only expect a comment like this from a junior member, this is noting at all new.

shpankey

not an idiot
God's Hand said:

talking this way to another human being and having God in your name is the only pathetic thing in here. you know nothing of the person you are insulting and yet you pretend you do. you chose to try to defame him with hurtful insults all because he has a different fucking opinion than you. wow, i hope you feel better now. ::rolleyes::

Gek54 said:
IGN has footage of Forza at TGS Here

Still some bad pop up and whats up with the rear window flashing to blue?

The music in that "It Can Go Faster, Promise" vid isn't in the actual game is it? Yikes!

The pop up is quite noticeable in that clip too. Especially at the end when the car is coming up to the final turn at Laguna Seca. Basically the entire back wall just starts popping up.

Pug

Is that the same course as the one in Prologue? Because if it is graphically Forza is a long way in front. It is the same, can't remember its name but I'm 100% that forza looks better (and by some margin). In the video at the end you will see an empty spectator stand, in Prologue that stand popup from nowhere as you approach it.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
DCharlie said:
30fps - they could do with getting it to be a smooth 30fps, because it didn't strike me as being a constant 30fps at TGS.
Meh why bother, sub 30 didn't stop NFS:U from selling great last year (and by the looks of things the sequel isn't likely to be anywhere near constant 30 either) ;)

What I wonder though, why did all the realistic racers show the Tsukuba circuit at TGS? I mean alright already, these games look similar enough to each other without showing the same damn track using the same damn photos for textures :p
Heck, for Enthusia you'd only need to replace the HUD with GTs and noone would be the wiser which game is which anymore...

Gek54

Fafalada said:
Heck, for Enthusia you'd only need to replace the HUD with GTs and noone would be the wiser which game is which anymore...

Just graphically or gameplay wise too?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Gek54 said:
Just graphically or gameplay wise too?
So far I meant graphically, as I haven't played Enthusia yet (I'm not patient enough to wait in lineups to try games most of the time :p).
Just from observation, the car behaviour looks realistic in Enthusia, but that alone doesn't mean whether the gameplay is any good or not of course.

segasonic

God's Hand said:
When a poster makes a good point, just call him a fat loser. That'll stop him from actually making sense in the future!

MrSingh

Fafalada said:
So far I meant graphically, as I haven't played Enthusia yet (I'm not patient enough to wait in lineups to try games most of the time :p).
Just from observation, the car behaviour looks realistic in Enthusia, but that alone doesn't mean whether the gameplay is any good or not of course.

OMGhi2u!

4 time zones in 1 week treating you well? :p

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Gek, yes what was shown so far was 60.

MrSingh said:
OMGhi2u!
4 time zones in 1 week treating you well? :p
Hehe, well I am still recovering, but thankfully it's a Korean national holliday right now, so I don't need to go straight back to work.

Top Bottom