• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 |OT|

m0dus said:
anyone with the Fanatec wheel noticed any issues with a fan buzz or rattle after you've been playing for a long time, and the wheel's fans kick in? sometimes, when I hit the gearshift I pick up a small but loud rattle coming from the housing. Only seems to happen rarely, when you're moving the wheel, and it disappears when the wheel is turned to one side or the other (usually). I actually dissected the wheel, made sure the wires were tacked away from the fans, and made sure the fans were unobstructed. but still, bugs me a bit :lol
I can hear the fans come on after a while... but no buzz as such. Just sounds like normal fans. I can hear a sort of strangled noise in the wheel if I'm fighting the force feedback, but I guess that's just how these things are supposed to sound.

kinn

Psychotext said:
My wheel has arrived. :D

I feel like crap today though, going to need some medicine or something before I even think of setting it up.

I've had mine as well!

You really do need to get used to it though. Thought it would be easy since I drive anyway!

So far I'm loving it with Forza 3. I just put it on hot lap and just drive around a course.

Only issue I've had is that the ClubSport pedals...They are heavy but they still slide away from my feet when using them! Does anyone else have this issue as well?

Also Rotating the wheel seems stiff. Anyway to alter this?

And whats the difference between FF and Sho? ABS is the brake pedal vibrating right?

Finally, what settings are people using with Forza 3 + Fanatec? I.e. deadzone settings, Active steering etc.

Manual is here: http://www.fanatec.de/html/index.php?id=3117&lang=en

I do have one issue with the clubsport pedals... actually, two now I think about it. One is that I assumed I'd be able to hard mount them into my stand (the fanatec one), but I can't see how that will work short of drilling random holes into the stand plates. The second is that the vibration motor on the brake pedal doesn't work, which sucks. The wheel vibrates when it's at x percent pressure, but the pedal wont. :(

ShapeGSX

eso76 said:
Yes tried again setting Sen to off before connecting the wheel and arms are now in sync with mines, that is until they hit 90 degrees, beyond which can't be shown due to lack of hand over hand animation. Hope they can patch that. Thought it wAs strange telemetry didn' show the actual position of the wheel

GT5: Prologue used to have this in there, and they took it out in a patch. The hands couldn't keep up with the actual motion of the wheel, and it ended up looking pretty bad. You can find YouTube videos of it.

kinn

Psychotext said:
Manual is here: http://www.fanatec.de/html/index.php?id=3117&lang=en

I do have one issue with the clubsport pedals... actually, two now I think about it. One is that I assumed I'd be able to hard mount them into my stand (the fanatec one), but I can't see how that will work short of drilling random holes into the stand plates. The second is that the vibration motor on the brake pedal doesn't work, which sucks. The wheel vibrates when it's at x percent pressure, but the pedal wont. :(

Thanks.

I think I will get one of those pedal stoppers that Fanatec do.

I would fire an email to Fanatec about the faulty motor in your CS pedals. They could send you the required parts that need changing. Or you could just send back for another pair.

quick question

i just got this game.. can anyone tell me if you always start as last place in the starting grid or can you do a qualify run?

macfoshizzle said:
quick question

i just got this game.. can anyone tell me if you always start as last place in the starting grid or can you do a qualify run?

As far as I know the game puts the best PI rated car in first, next in 2nd, and so on. Try upgrading your ride to the highest possible PI for whatever class it's in. (B, A, etc)

chespace said:
We've thought about this and might even try it in the near future. Something tells me it'll be really unpopular though. Folks like to show off their paintjobs and grab tunes off the storefront to have an edge over other players.

Please do consider it though, because while what you say is true there are also some opposing reasons why a stock only could do well. For example I've hardly touched the online racing as yet because I feel that I don't have my garage of cars ready (all the right upgrades and tuning etc) to the point where I feel like I'll have the tools I need to be competitive. Having a stock-only hopper would probably be more inviting to me, at this time. Everyone on a level playing field seems like it would be an appealing option to have.

kinn said:
I would fire an email to Fanatec about the faulty motor in your CS pedals. They could send you the required parts that need changing. Or you could just send back for another pair.
Yeah, it's an option. I'm going to stick a multimeter on it to see what's going on... could be that it's just the motor which is fried in which case I might as them to just send me another. I really don't want to send the whole thing back as not only will it take a while, but they weight a freaking ton so I wouldn't be surprised if it costs a fair bit too.

Yoritomo

m0dus said:
anyone with the Fanatec wheel noticed any issues with a fan buzz or rattle after you've been playing for a long time, and the wheel's fans kick in? sometimes, when I hit the gearshift I pick up a small but loud rattle coming from the housing. Only seems to happen rarely, when you're moving the wheel, and it disappears when the wheel is turned to one side or the other (usually). I actually dissected the wheel, made sure the wires were tacked away from the fans, and made sure the fans were unobstructed. but still, bugs me a bit :lol

I haven't noticed a buzz, just a fan whine.

tehbear

My Designs takes forever to load now (forever = 10+ minutes) that I have hundreds of designs. And scrolling through each even takes like 20 seconds.

Speak of the devil I just froze my xbox looking through my designs. Xbox button doesn't work anymore...

Yoritomo

chespace said:
We've thought about this and might even try it in the near future. Something tells me it'll be really unpopular though. Folks like to show off their paintjobs and grab tunes off the storefront to have an edge over other players.

I know me and most of my gaming buddies would love it. It'd make sure all the cars get use and it'd cut down on complaints about not being able to afford all the cars since you'd actually get to race.

Even if they're forced stock people can still have designs.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
tehbear said:
My Designs takes forever to load now (forever = 10+ minutes) that I have hundreds of designs. And scrolling through each even takes like 20 seconds.

Speak of the devil I just froze my xbox looking through my designs. Xbox button doesn't work anymore...

Hmm, maybe this is why Bungie put the 100/150 custom content limit up in Halo. Strange how just loading these many filenames/details can cause so much stress to the system.

tehbear

enzo_gt said:
Hmm, maybe this is why Bungie put the 100/150 custom content limit up in Halo. Strange how just loading these many filenames/details can cause so much stress to the system.

I am not sure how they implemented it, but it seems silly that it's anything but a bunch of low res images for all the designs I have. That would stress a system? a few hundred files that don't even need to be loaded all at once?

They could just paginate it, hell I would take how the storefront displays 8000 designs. I can go through 400 paints much quicker online, and that's with the need to load over the net. And it doesn't even take 10 minutes before the 1st 5 is visible.

phil_t

Banned
tehbear said:
I am not sure how they implemented it, but it seems silly that it's anything but a bunch of low res images for all the designs I have. That would stress a system? a few hundred files that don't even need to be loaded all at once?

They could just paginate it, hell I would take how the storefront displays 8000 designs. I can go through 400 paints much quicker online, and that's with the need to load over the net. And it doesn't even take 10 minutes before the 1st 5 is visible.

Indeed, it seems odd...

I mean you could do many many things to make it handle large amounts of designs..

I for one would like to categorise stuff, it's annoying having a linear list of stuff, it takes ages to navigate..

hell, even if I could archive stuff off to another location that I only access once in a while would help..

sinnergy

tehbear said:

At least it didn't freeze when designing ;) That happened ones to me, lost 1,5 hours of work. Now I save after every minor change.

m0dus said:
Now wait. As I understand it, the break motor is not supported on the 360, only certain pc games.
I don't believe that's right as the wheel vibrates fine, but not the pedal. Recall that the vibration functionality is handled outside of the game (you basically configure the amount the pedal is pressed before setting off the vibration).

Psychotext said:
I don't believe that's right as the wheel vibrates fine, but not the pedal. Recall that the vibration functionality is handled outside of the game (you basically configure the amount the pedal is pressed before setting off the vibration).

I think Modus is right, I don't think Forza 3 support pedal force feedback (I could be wrong, since I don't have the club sport). The wheel vibration work with any pedal because it's actually feature of the wheel.

Anyway, how do you like the Club Sport? I am kinda annoy now because I order Fanatec wheel almost a year ago, I got them first but they are broken and here, almost a month later I still have yet to get replacement pedal and people that order just recently all get their working wheel!

antiquegamer said:
I think Modus is right, I don't think Forza 3 support pedal force feedback (I could be wrong, since I don't have the club sport). The wheel vibration work with any pedal because it's actually feature of the wheel.

Anyway, how do you like the Club Sport? I am kinda annoy now because I order Fanatec wheel almost a year ago, I got them first but they are broken and here, almost a month later I still have yet to get replacement pedal and people that order just recently all get their working wheel!

I got to say, between here and GT Planet there seems to be a lot of guys with faulty Fanatec wheels. I hope Fanatec gets their act together.

antiquegamer said:

I'm confused... why would the wheel vibrate, and not the pedal? They both work in exactly the same way, via the setup on the wheel (x% of total brake pedal travel). It doesn't make sense to have the two functions split (It also doesn't really fit with what's in the manual). I guess I can try it on the PC, but I'm betting that it'll do the same thing.

As for how they are... I couldn't really say yet. I haven't had enough time with them (only an hour or so on the first day).

Pepto

Banned
Finally got my pedals. The fun didn't last long. The wheel broke in less than five minutes and wont turn back on. :lol

Milpool

Psychotext said:
I'm confused... why would the wheel vibrate, and not the pedal? They both work in exactly the same way, via the setup on the wheel (x% of total brake pedal travel). It doesn't make sense to have the two functions split (It also doesn't really fit with what's in the manual). I guess I can try it on the PC, but I'm betting that it'll do the same thing.

As for how they are... I couldn't really say yet. I haven't had enough time with them (only an hour or so on the first day).

As I understand it, it works in any game since it's a hardware/firmware feature. You just have to manually set the brake pressure when you want the pedal rumble to kick in.

Well on their site it said the pedal vibrate using telemetry data from the game, which sound to me like it must be support by game, again I don't know.

Anyway, I am all done with my final and I just want to play this game with the wheel.

Yoritomo

sportzhead said:
I got to say, between here and GT Planet there seems to be a lot of guys with faulty Fanatec wheels. I hope Fanatec gets their act together.

my 6 speed doesn't work properly. I've recalibrated it multiple times but it just doesn't work consistently. Using the sequential + clutch is faster, but still rowing through the gears is fun.

I've e-mailed them as of this past Monday but haven't heard back yet.

Edit: Just got an e-mail from Armin their tech guy. They really do seem to be a stand up group of guys who will stick by their products. They're also very open and seem really awesome. They're just absolutely swamped right now. They're sending me a new h-shifter.

If you're having issues and are patient, just send them an e-mail. I know the excitement of new tech/toys is fueling the push for instant service but they're a small outfit and they'll treat you right when they do get to your e-mail/s.

erahk64

ABS in the wheel display menu sets how many percent of the total break range that must be used until the wheel and the break pedal on the Clubsport pedals starts to vibrate.
It works on all games.

My wheel and break pedal vibrates when that break level is reached.

This can be controlled by games, but I think the ABS on the wheel must be set to OFF.

erahk64 said:
ABS in the wheel display menu sets how many percent of the total break range that must be used until the wheel and the break pedal on the Clubsport pedals starts to vibrate.
It works on all games.

This can be controlled by games, but ABS on the wheel must be set to OFF.
Thanks. I guess I will have to work out if it can be fixed then.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Oh my god. The GT-R is so amazing to drive. My S700 GT-R is like violent thunder without all the assists on. I love this car. I love this game. Thank you Turn10.

Also, first time I noticed, under really hard braking, you can damage your brakes? Didn't even know that was possible, but that's wicked cool. Halfway through a race without ABS the little damage indicator popped up and confused the hell out of me.

Yoritomo

enzo_gt said:
Oh my god. The GT-R is so amazing to drive. My S700 GT-R is like violent thunder without all the assists on. I love this car. I love this game. Thank you Turn10.

Also, first time I noticed, under really hard braking, you can damage your brakes? Didn't even know that was possible, but that's wicked cool. Halfway through a race without ABS the little damage indicator popped up and confused the hell out of me.

The suspension geometry of the GT-R is different from most other cars in the game, it has this ability to dig in on corner exit that other cars lack.

kinn

erahk64 said:
It works on all games.

This can be controlled by games, but I think the ABS on the wheel must be set to OFF.

Yes thats how it works. Quite a nice feature.

Psychotext, im sure you've done this but I would double check the settings for ABS on the wheel.

kinn said:
Yes thats how it works. Quite a nice feature.

Psychotext, im sure you've done this but I would double check the settings for ABS on the wheel.
Yeah, I've modified it any number of ways... even taking it down to a couple of percent. Press the peddle a little, wheel goes crazy, pedal does nothing.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Sigh. It is hard to describe how much I loathe drifting. I just don't get it.

Started looking through the non-level-based achievements I had yet to get and noticed the 100k worth of drifting thang, so I thought I'd try to get it. Over an hour later and I feel like shooting myself (or at least kicking the person responsible for putting it in Forza a kick to the sack).

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Diseased Yak said:
Sigh. It is hard to describe how much I loathe drifting. I just don't get it.

Started looking through the non-level-based achievements I had yet to get and noticed the 100k worth of drifting thang, so I thought I'd try to get it. Over an hour later and I feel like shooting myself (or at least kicking the person responsible for putting it in Forza a kick to the sack).
I love drifting. I haven't done the achievement yet though - I don't do achievements and mostly drift in Test Drive mode around that japanese mountain because it's fun.

Anyway, you should be able to do it on some extra-long track if you can drift in any corner. You have to get the right car for it (acceleration is important), you have to adjust the difficulty (I think ABS makes no sense when drifting, for example) and you have to practice the track.

You can do the math, really - divide 100,000 by the number of curves on the track. If it's 100 curves, you have to make 1,000 points in each curve.

Arucardo

I did the drift achievement in Hot Lap mode with a stock car, I think it was the SL Black. Wasn't as hard as I thought and you can use the rewind feature while doing it without any penalties.

lord pie

I've been thinking about the AWD PI complaints.

I've come to the conclusion the the PI system isn't broken. It's simply AWD cars are more stable, and subsequently easier to drive consistently fast / cheat for less skilled players (like myself :)

For shorter, twistier tracks, AWD cars make up the majority (but not all) of the top 10 / top 100s. For longer tracks, it's almost entirely RWD. That's pretty much what you'd expect in real life too, I'd imagine.

The Audi S5 is clearly the tuners darling. It has had way more attention than any other car. But I still see outrageously fast Alpha 8C's, Porsche RS's, Ford GTs, etc.

I was looking at cars in the game, and found the Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera.

Interestingly, it's a S603 car. So on whim, I bought it.
Putting heavy rims on, areo and some other tweaks, you can drop it down to exactly A600 (Literally 1KG extra and it bumps to S601)

It's easily the fastest car I have.
However, I discovered another interesting thing about it.

It has a RWD drivetrain swap, and it has no effect on the PI at all. None. It looses some weight, becomes slightly less balanced and also drops it's Launch rating. But stays exactly A600.

So I did some testing. On Camino Viejo, the absolute best RWD lap I could do was a 1:03.527, which is a full second quicker than any other car I have. Try as I might, I could not beat it in AWD. I got very, very close, 1:03.55ish, but I couldn't beat it. The driving line was slightly different, but only when I cheated could I beat the RWD lap.

Interestingly, I found it much easier to hit the apex in the AWD car, but much harder to extract the last few 1/10ths from the lap.

With that said, a good driver could easily break 1:03 or 1:02 I'd bet :D

Pepto

Banned
So I fixed my wheel after I got the go ahead to open the wheel from Thomas (it was a really easy fix as it turned out that one of the belts came loose).

It's almost a completely different game with the wheel. With the controller I could post top 100 times with non-leaderboard cars. Now I took me an hour to complete an easy race with the leaderboard dominating '08 viper.

Is there something up with the Murcielago LP640? I swapped the drive train to rear wheel drive and the car under-steered dreadfully, far worse than when with its stock AWD. Try as I might I couldn't reduce the understeer. I even reduced the front sway bar to 1 and the rear to max. No difference at all. I feel it's bugged. Anybody else tried it?

Yoritomo

Slackbladder said:
Is there something up with the Murcielago LP640? I swapped the drive train to rear wheel drive and the car under-steered dreadfully, far worse than when with its stock AWD. Try as I might I couldn't reduce the understeer. I even reduced the front sway bar to 1 and the rear to max. No difference at all. I feel it's bugged. Anybody else tried it?

If I remember correctly the weight is heavily biased towards the rear. Removing the AWD moves the center of gravity even farther back... also the car has a huge difference in the size of the front and rear wheel.

Yoritomo said:
If I remember correctly the weight is heavily biased towards the rear. Removing the AWD moves the center of gravity even farther back... also the car has a huge difference in the size of the front and rear wheel.

Sounds about right. I bet the front wheels are unable to get any grip.

Jube3

So in OT gaf someone posted a link to luxurious garages. Oh my god....look at this picture and weep....weep.

4033553229_08be4ac640_o.jpg

more pics here
http://www.luxury4play.com/automoti...ics-insane-garage-picture-thread-50-pics.html

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i hate the r1 ai. when they are ahead of you, they seem to always brake early, allowing you to catch up i'd imagine, but often times resulting in me hitting them. and once you are ahead, it seems they brake late (perfectly), often resulting in me getting rear ended.

racing in the final season, r1, and i have to say "THANK GOD FOR REWIND!" so many times i get rear ended, or rear end the ai, which normally would have resulted in mass frustration as i'd be forced to restart over and over (sometimes 10-15 min into a race).

Jube3

op_ivy said:
i hate the r1 ai. when they are ahead of you, they seem to always brake early, allowing you to catch up i'd imagine, but often times resulting in me hitting them. and once you are ahead, it seems they brake late (perfectly), often resulting in me getting rear ended.

racing in the final season, r1, and i have to say "THANK GOD FOR REWIND!" so many times i get rear ended, or rear end the ai, which normally would have resulted in mass frustration as i'd be forced to restart over and over (sometimes 10-15 min into a race).

Are you like me and you look around to see if anyones there to watch you press rewind? :lol

Yoritomo

R1 on hard with no traction control, manual shifting and no ABS is rough. Just finished 6th year of season play. Now to tackle the event list.

h3ro

Yoritomo said:
R1 on hard with no traction control, manual shifting and no ABS is rough. Just finished 6th year of season play. Now to tackle the event list.

I don't understand why T10 decided to start repeating the R1 championship after season 6. Doesn't make sense to me at all. I'm at about 30% done and started season 7, but now all I have is a bunch of boxes to check off. It's lost a lot of the progression feeling that season play had. I loved the layout of having me decide between a new car/new track/standing pat in my current ride. I still have more championships to do, why not continue them and not repeat the championships when there are none left to finish?

Che?

Top Bottom