• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 |OT|

Jube3

Ben2749 said:
I get the feeling that making only a few good vinyl designs, and putting an infinite amount of them in the Auction House would make you a lot of money. At least, that's the way it seemed when the game first came out, and to be honest, I haven't looked at the auction house since then. Is that still the case?

A good way to make money if you want to stay off the auction house is go pick up gift cars people put up on the cheap, and build a livery for it based on a real car or fantasy. Thats a quick way to atleast triple your credits off of the buy. Buy a rally style car for 30k resell it with a race livery for 100k.

With the way the New Top Downloads is setup (weekly) its best to get a good vinyl/design/tune up there for free so you get more hits, more hits raises your leaderboard rating and betters your chances at staying up there. The rating which when people go to check for your storefront through the leaderboard increases your buys since it makes it easier to crack.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
cjelly said:
Didn't Dan Greenawalt basically say on Major Nelson's podcast that DLC tracks are a waste of time?

what? link please. last i heard was che hinting at more dlc news soon

rjcc

cjelly said:
Didn't Dan Greenawalt basically say on Major Nelson's podcast that DLC tracks are a waste of time?

he said it was hard to justify the time spent versus the money they bring in, simply because it takes so long to build one environment. does that mean no dlc tracks ever? I dunno.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
rjcc said:
he said it was hard to justify the time spent versus the money they bring in, simply because it takes so long to build one environment. does that mean no dlc tracks ever? I dunno.
Well, I wouldn't mind the Nürburgring GP circuit. :D

rjcc said:

This was written in 2007 for Forza 2. In the end, if i remember correctly, Forza 2 only ever had one DLC track, and i guess the same will be for Forza 3. I am sure they are already working on Forza 4 anyway.

By Staff, GameSpotPosted Oct 23, 2007 7:10 pm GMT
Lead designer Dan Greenawalt lays out the new Twin Ring Motegi downloadable track, which peels out on October 26.

When Turn 10 rolled out its second wave of downloadable content in September, Forza 2's lead designer Dan Greenawalt told GameSpot that the team was hard at work to bring more than just new cars to the racing circuit. However, as Greenawalt put it, "Tracks take upwards of 3 to 5 months to build, plus testing and iteration time--not to mention the reference collection and coordination trips. That said, DLC tracks are on the way."

So in my opinion, we will get one DLC track for Forza 3, and i dont expect it to be before July. I'm hoping for Spa track...guess we have to wait and see...

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Cpt N Algren said:
This was written in 2007 for Forza 2. In the end, if i remember correctly, Forza 2 only ever had one DLC track, and i guess the same will be for Forza 3. I am sure they are already working on Forza 4 anyway.

By Staff, GameSpotPosted Oct 23, 2007 7:10 pm GMT
Lead designer Dan Greenawalt lays out the new Twin Ring Motegi downloadable track, which peels out on October 26.

When Turn 10 rolled out its second wave of downloadable content in September, Forza 2's lead designer Dan Greenawalt told GameSpot that the team was hard at work to bring more than just new cars to the racing circuit. However, as Greenawalt put it, "Tracks take upwards of 3 to 5 months to build, plus testing and iteration time--not to mention the reference collection and coordination trips. That said, DLC tracks are on the way."

So in my opinion, we will get one DLC track for Forza 3, and i dont expect it to be before July. I'm hoping for Spa track...guess we have to wait and see...

there was also road america for f2... hope we see at least 2 for f3. hopefully one ala monserrat, where we get loads of courses with one environment

I personally have no problem with the current layouts, they don't even use them all in multi too! I like the huge test track but so many people dislike it so they never ever use it :/ plus you need to install it I think.

I also think they need to add 1 lap of the ring into circuit races, but yet again you need to install it so it splits up the user base...

Jube3

Diablohead said:
I personally have no problem with the current layouts, they don't even use them all in multi too! I like the huge test track but so many people dislike it so they never ever use it :/ plus you need to install it I think.

I also think they need to add 1 lap of the ring into circuit races, but yet again you need to install it so it splits up the user base...

The Ring and the longer tracks are in the Road Races hopper I believe.

EDIT: Just thinking, how sweet would it be if the track for DLC was a dirt/offroad/rally style track. That would be awesome.

EDIT:
Just saw these 4 pics by ID Lizard hes done a lot of tunes, some which I have in my storefront. Crazy nice pictures. His FLICKR page
4158271170_4f72b1bba3.jpg

4299283602_1113381133.jpg

4299330516_6b5cebd0eb.jpg

4257724472_07274f1a19.jpg

Iknos

Jube3 said:
EDIT: Just thinking, how sweet would it be if the track for DLC was a dirt/offroad/rally style track. That would be awesome.

I am convinced that T10 can do it trackwise. The offroad sections of the game feel right to me. The way you are able to accel straight but lose grip when turning makes it feel like gravel. All it needs is a slight bump up in grip and of course gravel textures and sfx.

To do this properly T10 would have to add some more tires into the mix and I don't know if the game can be patched in that regard.

We've seen the sort of lengthy circuits the engine is capable of. And not only that but it speaks volumes about the talent at T10 when it comes to designing tracks. I think they could make a kick ass 14 mile gravel circuit. Some portions could be fairly even and then one part a steep drop and climb that way P2P stages could be downhill or hillclimb portions.

I we all want more real tracks but if making a fantasy track is a bit easier for T10 I wouldn't mind more of them either.

I've hopped on this game after going on binges of my other racing library with the Fanatec wheel and it feels great.

Jube3

Iknos said:
I am convinced that T10 can do it trackwise. The offroad sections of the game feel right to me. The way you are able to accel straight but lose grip when turning makes it feel like gravel. All it needs is a slight bump up in grip and of course gravel textures and sfx.

We've seen the sort of lengthy circuits the engine is capable of. And not only that but it speaks volumes about the talent at T10 when it comes to designing tracks. I think they could make a kick ass 14 mile gravel circuit. Some portions could be fairly even and then one part a steep drop and climb that way P2P stages could be downhill or hillclimb portions.

Yea some of the original Forza tracks are some of my favorites (Rally di, Fujimi, Monsterrat) in racing games. A great way to add variety to that ficitional offroad track would be to have it in a country with a lot of different looks(sweden maybe?). That way you could break it up into different sections: Dirt forest, snowy ground/slick ice/pavement. But I dunno if something like that would be possible for DLC.

Yoritomo

Hyoushi said:
I think you can get into the 17:s if you stay in third in the hard right after the crest past the first chicane... that's where I made up some ground while racing your ghost hehe. But you're pulling away almost everywhere else since you get less understeer traction loss with the wheel, seems so

Yeah, once you're used to the wheel it really helps smooth out the laps. The first kink and chicane are where I'm falling behind the top time. I'll give it another go soon.

skyfinch said:
Is drifting easier with the wheel?

Racing is easier and faster for me. I haven't really taken up drifting with the wheel though. I tried it a few times and I'm terrible, that and there's a countersteering assist with the wheel to make drifting easier and I'm not really excited to get used to a system that does that.

I can drift around a corner or two but I can't do the big lurid drifty stuff I can do with a controller.

LostVector

Neo Member
Well, I really geared up for this game ... bought multiple xbox's, multiple copies of the game, an obutto cockpit and the fanatec turbo s wheel clubsport edition. already had a triple screen setup.

Forza 3 comes out, wheel arrives a month later. Pretty nice wheel, but turns out the h-pattern shifter sucks bigtime. Stiff, excessive force needed to reach the side gears, and nearly impossible to mount if you don't want it stuck to the wheel via rods. Just to make it more difficult to use, the port is on the bottom of the shifter so putting on a flat surface is rather complicated without drilling.

Did a little looking around on the forums and, over the Christmas break, decided to buy the SST lightning and mod it to be compatible with the Turbo S wheel.

Figured out all the details on this thread at forzamotorsport.net over the course of the past month.

Took pics of the circuit building process here.

Posted a youtube video showing it in action.

And finally, after 3 months, driving in the game feels like I thought it would. Feels good!

Jube3

LostVector said:
Well, I really geared up for this game ... bought multiple xbox's, multiple copies of the game, an obutto cockpit and the fanatec turbo s wheel clubsport edition. already had a triple screen setup.

Forza 3 comes out, wheel arrives a month later. Pretty nice wheel, but turns out the h-pattern shifter sucks bigtime. Stiff, excessive force needed to reach the side gears, and nearly impossible to mount if you don't want it stuck to the wheel via rods. Just to make it more difficult to use, the port is on the bottom of the shifter so putting on a flat surface is rather complicated without drilling.

Did a little looking around on the forums and, over the Christmas break, decided to buy the SST lightning and mod it to be compatible with the Turbo S wheel.

Figured out all the details on this thread at forzamotorsport.net over the course of the past month.

And finally, after 3 months, driving in the game feels like I thought it would. Feels good!

Damn man, nice setup are those glasses for 3D or something else?. How much did the whole setup run you if you don't mind me asking? Work hard play hard :D

LostVector said:

AWESOME !

Well, why not do a big expansion and add new cars, tracks and racing modes and sell it for like $20-30? You could also do a standalone version for retail, call it Forza Motorsport 3: Epilogue. In the fall bundle it with the full game plus all the DLC and call it Forza Motorsport 3: Motorsport Harder.

On a serious note, is it even possible to add weather and night racing with the current engine?

SimpleDesign said:
Well, why not do a big expansion and add new cars, tracks and racing modes and sell it for like $20-30? You could also do a standalone version for retail, call it Forza Motorsport 3: Epilogue. In the fall bundle it with the full game plus all the DLC and call it Forza Motorsport 3: Motorsport Harder.

On a serious note, is it even possible to add weather and night racing with the current engine?

I dont think it would be possible to add weather or night racing with the current engine, short of a considerable amount of recoding. Weather would be a ton of work to get going, both in graphics, and physics, i dont see this happening. For night racing, that is more achievable, but there would need to be further graphic enhancements like projected lights, and again i think thats too much to code in at this stage.

To make night racing without headlights would be VERY easy. All they have to do is adjust the contrast and lighting settings of the engine, like what we can do in photo mode. If you want to race in the dark with no headlights, that would be easy :D

I do think that if T10 want a more "realistic" graphics look, they should adjust the contrast and colour settings of the game. Personally i like it how it is, but if they want a more realistic look, then more contrast, less colour would do that.

Night racing and weather will probably be for Forza 4. I'm not that keen on either to be honest, happy with daylight racing and dry weather...

cbox

Shit even different lighting conditions on each track would be awesome. Much like how Road Atlanta in forza 1 had two different "weather" conditions ( for the most part )

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
eternal prize said:
Shit even different lighting conditions on each track would be awesome. Much like how Road Atlanta in forza 1 had two different "weather" conditions ( for the most part )
They even changed Silverstone so it was the same as the other tracks in Forza 3. :(

Magni

Cpt N Algren said:
Any chance of the far right car as DLC ?! :D

http://i48.tinypic.com/2wg9p3a.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

:lol :lol Personally I'd love to see the Warthog from Halo make an appearance as DLC :D

I've read a couple posts on the last two pages mentioning Turn 10 is already working on Forza 4. But where does the series go from here?

Turn 10 doesn't seem content with the more tracks/cars angle that seems to drive other racing franchises forward and I'm not sure what type of game play innovations T10 could implement to justify another installment on the 360. Until now, I expected Forza 4 to release with the 360's successor.

I like the idea of a stopgap DLC package (20 new cars and 3 new tracks) released this summer for ten dollars or so (along with a GOTY Edition at retail).

As for 4... I'd like to see Microsoft take advantage of the Project Gotham assets and add a mess of city-based tracks to the Forza franchise.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
FunnyBunny said:
I've read a couple posts on the last two pages mentioning Turn 10 is already working on Forza 4. But where does the series go from here?

Turn 10 doesn't seem content with the more tracks/cars angle that seems to drive other racing franchises forward and I'm not sure what type of game play innovations T10 could implement to justify another installment on the 360. Until now, I expected Forza 4 to release with the 360's successor.

I like the idea of a stopgap DLC package (20 new cars and 3 new tracks) released this summer for ten dollars or so (along with a GOTY Edition at retail).

As for 4... I'd like to see Microsoft take advantage of the Project Gotham assets and add a mess of city-based tracks to the Forza franchise.
Car DLC has already been planned to be 10 new cars every month.

Track DLC is the only question mark, really.

Plippy

Neo Member
SimpleDesign said:
Well, why not do a big expansion and add new cars, tracks and racing modes and sell it for like $20-30?

I know it's unlikely, but add the option to raise the level cap (ala incoming Borderlands DLC) and I'm sold. Particularly if the prize cars roll in every so often. As far as making the DLC appeal to folks who play primarily single-player, here are a couple of ideas:

1. Integrate DLC tracks into the career mode.
2. Create specialized events for some of the DLC cars such as stock races or "vs." races.

Plippy

Neo Member
DasRaven said:
Sounds great, but this has equal chance of being the worst conceived car pack of the set.
If it is driven mostly by the passionate, it'll end up being mostly drift and muscle cars.

At least they'll be sub $500 and eligible for LeMons.

BADNED

DasRaven said:
Sounds great, but this has equal chance of being the worst conceived car pack of the set.
If it is driven mostly by the passionate, it'll end up being mostly drift and muscle cars.
Don't worry buddy, this will be more of a classic pack, some of the finest machines from the past few decades are featured in the list of 120 cars you can vote from.

DasRaven

BADNED said:
Don't worry buddy, this will be more of a classic pack, some of the finest machines from the past few decades are featured in the list of 120 cars you can vote from.

Coming from you, I'll take that to the bank. But I know the "OMG 180SX" folks will be very well represented all the same. Can't wait to see the list.

I love the concept of this whole voting for DLC cars, shame we won't get the pack till summer. Going to be a rough wait, lol. I feel 180SX and 03 Cobra fanboys will mess their pants at this opportunity.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
My picks:

• 1968 Alfa Romeo 33 Stradale
  • 1960 Aston Martin DB4 GT Zagato
  • 1987 BMW M5 E28
  • 1998 Citroen ZX 2.0L
  • 1977 Mazda RX-3SP
  • 1998 Alfa Romeo 155 GTA
  • 1971 De Tomaso Pantera
  • 1965 Fiat Abarth 1000 TCR
  • 1995 Volvo 850 T-5R
  • 1982 DeLorean DMC-12

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Plippy said:
At least they'll be sub $500 and eligible for LeMons.
I so want to do a round of LeMons. That's up there on my bucket list, along with bombing down the Autobahn in an Audi R8 doing 150+ MPH...

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
DasRaven said:
Dear $DIETY, group 2 is even better(quirkier) than the first!

http://jalopnik.com/5455856/forzalopnik-round-one-group-ii

Syclone FTW!
Nice! My picks from this round. :p

• 1959 BMW 507
  • 1970 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona
  • 1971 Ford Mustang Mach 1
  • 1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport
  • 1973 Ford Falcon GT XB
  • 1988 Renault 5 Turbo
  • 1989 Fiat X1/9
  • 1992 GMC Syclone
  • 1992 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution I GSR
  • 1996 Subaru Impreza WRX Type R STi

Not sure I should have picked the Evo and Impreza...

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
cjelly said:
Nice! My picks from this round. :p

• 1959 BMW 507
  • 1970 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona
  • 1971 Ford Mustang Mach 1
  • 1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport
  • 1973 Ford Falcon GT XB
  • 1988 Renault 5 Turbo
  • 1989 Fiat X1/9
  • 1992 GMC Syclone
  • 1992 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution I GSR
  • 1996 Subaru Impreza WRX Type R STi

Not sure I should have picked the Evo and Impreza...
I picked both Evos, tbh.

Has everyone voted for the '69 Nova in group 1?

DasRaven

twinturbo2 said:
I picked both Evos, tbh.

Has everyone voted for the '69 Nova in group 1?

I didn't realize we didn't have an Evo 5, so I gave that one a check. And yes the Nova SS is probably the ringer for Round 1. (checking BadNed's signature)

My R2:
59 BMW 507
68 Dodge Dart GTS
70 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona
73 Ford Falcon GT XB
77 Aston Martin V8 Vantage
84 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE
87 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS
92 GMC Syclone
94 Porsche 928 GTS
98 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution V GSR

Top Bottom