• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 |OT|

moojito

While this thread is bobbing on the surface I thought I'd chip in that I'm playing my way through forza 2 at the moment, and am seriously loving it. I just went from automatic gears to manual and the difference is night and day. I love pootling round a track in a D class car then going on an R1 class afterwards :D

I'll no doubt be picking up forza 3 very shortly, since I'm sure it'll be down a bit in price by now.

eso76

watching again, the problem actually seems to be more about unresponsiveness than real lag.

I think the game needs wide movements before it decides you really mean to turn your head for example. I'm not sure about this, but they probably had to reduce the thing's tolerance to motion for the game not to jitter around like crazy if you just tilt your head slightly.

vixlar

The kinect part would be great if it allow us to drive with the ms wheel and look at sides with our head movements.

BTW, I'm still questioning how that "look at sides" part would work. If you want to look, let's say, at your left window, you turn your head like 45 or 50 degrees, but if you do that, maybe you are not seeing your tv directly. So, what's the point?

And, please, I want an economic alternative for a wheel with clutch and gearstick.

eso76 said:
watching again, the problem actually seems to be more about unresponsiveness than real lag.

I think the game needs wide movements before it decides you really mean to turn your head for example. I'm not sure about this, but they probably had to reduce the thing's tolerance to motion for the game not to jitter around like crazy if you just tilt your head slightly.
As an ipod touch gamer I understand exactly what you mean, and it's going to be a LOT harder to hold two hands in the air still and to do tiny turns, the slight turns need more of a movement before jumping into full lock.

vixlar said:
The kinect part would be great if it allow us to drive with the ms wheel and look at sides with our head movements.

BTW, I'm still questioning how that "look at sides" part would work. If you want to look, let's say, at your left window, you turn your head like 45 or 50 degrees, but if you do that, maybe you are not seeing your tv directly. So, what's the point?

And, please, I want an economic alternative for a wheel with clutch and gearstick.
Watch the video posted above again if you have not, when he is inside the car the camera just moves about with him in a realistic way, they could make it so if you turn your head 10 degrees it turns 30 degrees in-game, no idea how well the camera can detect faces. They could also make it so you don't even turn your head but move it left and right to make it rotate in the game.

Just being about to have the head move around with yours seems great imo, removes the problem of having both the wing and rear mirror cut off too often.

zorbsie

I can totally see this in the next Forza. I would imagine that it would have two modes, sim and arcade(kinect). The sim mode will only use kinect for headtracking, players will still use a controller/wheel to drive. The arcade mode is pretty much the demo we saw.
Why not? My kid can have her fun and I can still get my sim racing in the same package.
I would think that turn 10 wouldn't jeopardize the fan base they worked so hard to attain by going full kinect.

saladine1

zorbsie said:
I can totally see this in the next Forza. I would imagine that it would have two modes, sim and arcade(kinect). The sim mode will only use kinect for headtracking, players will still use a controller/wheel to drive. The arcade mode is pretty much the demo we saw.
Why not? My kid can have her fun and I can still get my sim racing in the same package.
I would think that turn 10 wouldn't jeopardize the fan base they worked so hard to attain by going full kinect.
I agree. That sounds like the most probable scenario and as you said, would work for both casual gamers and the hardcore bums.

Gek54

Apex said:
epk4fa.jpg

I wonder how much time they spent on faking the 'future of forza control' versus time spent fixing the permanent active steering aid when using a real TRUE FORCE FEEDBACK 900 DEGREE WHEEL? >:[

Metalmurphy said:
It was a rhetorical question. It's cool that it's real time, It's still dumb that they try to fool people. Not that hard to understand...
Just asking sweetheart, wasn't finding it difficult to understand :)

Want to play some Forza 3 this evening? What's your gamertag, and which driver level are you in the game?

Melfice7

SimpleDesign said:
You guys down to play some Forza 3?

its not about forza its about what he said, a cg trailer is just that.. a cg trailer

pretending you're playing on a live presentation is ridiculous no matter the game

ResidentDante said:
Just asking sweetheart, wasn't finding it difficult to understand :)

Want to play some Forza 3 this evening? What's your gamertag, and which driver level are you in the game?
I don't have a 360. I still played Forza 3 many times, yes we can probably arrange a play session if you feel you need to continue to make a big deal out of it... oh and btw, we're not talking about Forza 3 here.

Melfice7 said:
its not about forza its about what he said, a cg trailer is just that.. a cg trailer

pretending you're playing on a live presentation is ridiculous no matter the game
No it's not, this thread is about Forza 3.

MacDee

Neo Member
Picked up NFS Shift after my Forza 3 full completion; it just doesn't hold a candle!
Not that keen on the new motion controls in the Kinetic demo, but if it allows full head tracking into Forza4 I will buy one.

-viper-

Banned
cjelly said:
Why show CG videos of games that aren't coming out for 5 years?

Welcome to gaming.
CG trailer provides a concept.

Pretending to play a tech demo and passing it off as real is an entirely different thing.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Pepto said:
You will pirate the game just to show SimpleDesign? :O

firewall is good at pretending to play racing games, he's been doing it for 5 years!

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
nm. looks awesome and whats demo'd at e3 live behind closed doors as seen in countless videos

amar212

Gek54 said:
I wonder how much time they spent on faking the 'future of forza control' versus time spent fixing the permanent active steering aid when using a real TRUE FORCE FEEDBACK 900 DEGREE WHEEL? >:[

Not before NextBox and inclusion of HID controller on the motherboard.

I really hope this "Forza 4" will be launch title for the NextBox in 2012 and that NextBox will finally bring us hardware that will be able to make Xbox most important racing franchise truly RACING by standards of force feedback peripherals we have for DECADE now.

Pepto

Banned
amar212 said:
Not before NextBox and inclusion of HID controller on the motherboard.

I really hope this "Forza 4" will be launch title for the NextBox in 2012 and that NextBox will finally bring us hardware that will be able to make Xbox most important racing franchise truly RACING by standards of force feedback peripherals we have for DECADE now.
So you don't think that the Fanatec wheel is a proper force feedback wheel?

Seanspeed

Banned
saladine1 said:
Even if the motion does work great, are you really content on having to pretend your clutching a steering wheel and depressing an invisible accelerator pedal?
How are you going to 'feel' what the car is doing without rumble or FF?
I can tell you, I CBF waving my arms around like some insane person. I just want to kick back and relax with controller or wheel in hand and enjoy the experience the traditional,practical way.
(All this is being said under the assumption that FM4 is going controller-less)
True, the lack of sensation is gonna take more immersiveness out than the motion controls add.

It'd probably also get tiring to 'hover' your arms and legs for long races.

Yea, I really cant see this working and/or being fun. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I do hope this isn't a pointless avenue of development for them to take.

Top Bottom