• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 |OT|

Jube3 said:
Dude 8 lane drag racing. The most fun Ive had in drag racing so far was doing the money challenge with BLKJ Evo. we built to E class cars and dragged em. I smoked him on the full mile but he destroyed me on the 1/4 lol

:lol Was he the one with that bitchin' Veyron-beating Miata? That thing was ridiculous!

I see many a night being lost to 8-player drag matches.

f44f1t.jpg

2cxf7me.jpg

124yqls.jpg

:D

I went ahead and edited one of Rox's pics from the forza site. Great stock shot by him. I'm just really wanting to take some photos so instead I just edit other peoples until I can get the game lol.

When posting smaller size to fit in forums (about 600-700 pixles wide) the quality isnt too bad. Still wish the compression wasn't so bad, they would look incredible if even they reduced compression half of what it is now.

Before:
aM3c7.jpg

My edit:
PWkhy.jpg

I'm beyond ready to have this game.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Anyone in the LA/OC area down to come hang out with me at the FM3 launch event next Tuesday (10/20)? Let me know. You might also go home with a copy of the game. If you can take more shots of whiskey than me.

8 lane strip sounds awesome.

O:

we could probably do a 4 way class/region/pool/etc tournament.

32 people split into 4(call them A, B, C, D) groups of 8.

Top 4 from each group of 8 will advance after the first heat/race.
Those groups of 4 will race and top 2 will move on.
Top 2 from each group will race to determine the winner of the group/pool/bracket/etc
Each winner will be ranked based on their fastest time on the strip.
#1 vs #3 , #2 vs #4. Winners will race each other for first and 2nd overall. losers will race for 3rd. maybe someone can make a special livery or credit as a reward for 1st, 2nd, 3rd

to make it fair probably make it so all assists are off or manual w/clutch only. Restrict the cars to factory spec Vipers or Evo's. Muscle cars only with 600 or less hp with sport tires, no weight reduction, minimum weight of 3650 pounds.

DarkJC

TylerD said:
Well, Turn 10 made the game way too good and I am going to be buying a 360 just for Forza. I don't think I will be getting a wheel anytime soon though. I have a G25 for PS3 and PC racers and will in no way be able to swing the Fanatec Turbo S anytime soon.

You're in my exact situation. Playing the demo though, it feels pretty decent with the controller. I'll probably end up getting it at launch and see if it sucks me in enough to buy a wheel for it eventually.

Jube3

FTWer said:
Cool stuff, do you do any more streams like this with other games?

Yea I usually stream the demos when they come out for the people who are at work and stuff or red ringed etc.

This is the game of the forever though. Theres so much stuff I want to do I don't know where to start.

imtehman

Banned
chespace said:
Anyone in the LA/OC area down to come hang out with me at the FM3 launch event next Tuesday (10/20)? Let me know. You might also go home with a copy of the game. If you can take more shots of whiskey than me.

who what where when?

Hawk269

I am not sure if this was asked...if so..my apolgies...

The new DLC, the tracks in particular are they incorporated into the Single Player Career? If so, will future DLC continue to follow this trend?

Thanks!

Iknos

dejay said:
That looks massive, like tiny ants racing around a toilet seat.

Or something.

According to this the track is 6km long.

Seems like the perfect place to set top speed records. Could be boring for racing. Unless you all choose the same car...at that point it'll be a draft battle with your foot full on the throttle from beginning to end.

I remember when it was 2 weeks till the demo...now it's 2 weeks till the full release. Can't wait.

Those with the game: Can you set up Tokyo Xtreme Racing sort of rules in the multiplayer? TXR used a "health bar" sort of setup and I don't expect that...but say a setup where if 2 people were racing and the race was over if one person was ahead of the other by 10 seconds. That means if both players are neck and neck the race could last a long time...but end immediately if someone makes a mistake.

Ziploc

Neo Member
Recoil said:
Do you know what other cars are going to be there, perchance?

Some Subies, boosted Miatas, a motherfucking Group B Quattro, Z4M Coupe, Trans Am, S2000, Type R, etc. Theres a chance a Gallardo might be running around the course as well.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Spaceman Spiff said:
Ok, now I can see why the poscast mentioned the track as a multiplayer haven, truly the sandbox of racing games.

I can't wait to play about on this track, I just hope the definition of "Day one" DLC accounts for the fact that Europe gets the game first, heh.

nofi

Right, I've now got the full promo copy of Forza 3 - how the hell do I download my Photos so I can actually write about them?

Jube3

nofi said:
Right, I've now got the full promo copy of Forza 3 - how the hell do I download my Photos so I can actually write about them?

can't till the 22nd, website won't be up till then.

nofi

Jube3 said:
I have some you can use, and m0dus might too. How big do you need them though?

Just whatever size they come out at, 1280x720? I'd done some specific cars for the site, mind, but I guess it doesn't matter.

Thanks, appreciate it.

dejay

Banned
Iknos said:
I remember when it was 2 weeks till the demo...now it's 2 weeks till the full release. Can't wait.

For me it's 8 days pretty much exactly until I get home with a copy. Actually I just realised that it's the end of quarter that day (Friday) and I might have to work late, and possibly the Saturday too :(

If anyone in the UK knows a shop that breaks the release date, please, for the love of Che, let us know so I can try and get Blockbuster to give me my copy :D

eso76

well well well, had the chance to fiddle about with the retail copy at my local gamerush (which however wouldn't sell me the game early : ( ). Disc 2 content was not installed and the game was missing the early dlc you should be able to download on day 1 (so no sidewinder track, ferrari daytona, fujimi kaido etc)

This is not meant to be Eurogamer's piece of literature of a review, but here's my impressions on stuff that hasn't been discussed yet

First race with a C4 in new york; the game didn't even look like fm2 relative to be honest.
Amazing visuals and drives like a dream.

Played with photomode, your car's model is switched as soon as you enter photomode, while AI cars aren't, but we already knew that.
There was another AI C4 on the track and i went back and forth between the 2 to check the differences.
Well, the whole lod thing was blown WAY out of proportions (even by myself); put 2 meters between the camera and the car and the only difference you'll see is darkened interiors for the AI car. Even in low lod, fm3 still has the best car models seen in a 360 game.

Photomode is a huge improvement over fm2's, which was plagued by slow controls, limited zoom, limited dynamic range and limited freedom for camera movements; while you still can't go beyond track barriers (or higher than 2 mts i believe) everything else is a huge improvement (20x zoom !) and offers lots of freedom for photographers' creativity.

I then tried exporting a 30 secs replay clip. It takes FOREVER and you can't cancel the process. It appears the game basically renders the clip in photomode quality, but 30 secs took like 10 minutes to render, and apparently you're not able to play the clip on your x360 to see the results. Oh well.

Tried a few new and old tracks after that and among the ones i raced on, the revamped Silverstone was the one which struck me as the one with most realistic lighting; with the right cars (and the right 'paint': metallic is spot on) you'll often get the same suspension of disbelief as you get in Prologue while watching a replay. Honest.
Seriously, if someone posted a replay vid of a metallic dark grey C4 (or any other 'new' car; on average they look much better than returning cars from fm2) on Silverstone you'd agree the game can go hold its own in a direct comparison, but that's for the other thread. I was very very impressed.

Some of the other tracks are far too vibrant for the photorealistic look, though. Amalfi looks gorgeous for other reasons, but makes the game look like a high end Sega arcade, and not all car models and paints are as convincing.

Next; sound.
I then took the Ferrari F40 for a ride in Suzuka and people turned their heads. Holy shit; again, there's some inconsistency, but some of the cars can truly sing; you really have to hear them; most impressive engine roars i've ever heard in a videogame by far. I can't wait to have the game running with my 5.1 setup and start pissing my neighbours off.

Controls; those who were left a bit perplexed at the super grip in the demo can stop worrying. It's hard to spin a Ford GT40 (which i believe is accurate, simply looking at the width of those tires) but powerful non-race cars -and Corvettes...- will still put your thumbs (or arms, if you're playing with the wheel) to the test; keeping them on the track is as hard as ever. Was planning to test the Shelby Cobra, which i had the chance to try in real life (a real nightmare, trust me) but it's part of the second disc, which as mentioned previously, was not installed.

You'll soon forget about all the small issues and disappointments for removed features, the whole photomode drama, the unimpressive comparison pics with fm2 or other games. That one hour ride made the wait a lot harder, even if it's just one week now.

Impressive job, T10.

eso76 said:
I then tried exporting a 30 secs replay clip. It takes FOREVER and you can't cancel the process. It appears the game basically renders the clip in photomode quality, but 30 secs took like 10 minutes to render, and apparently you're not able to play the clip on your x360 to see the results. Oh well.
Is there an achievement for doing this? Cause if not, I won't bother, I'm glad you warned me :lol

eso76

Lucius86 said:
I like that summary a lot - thanks for that! I take it you were playing it with a controller???

yes, on a pretty decent 50" plasma.
speaking of controller, there's a lot of advanced settings for steering, accelerator, brake, clutch etc deadzones and whatnot, but haven't really tried what they do or examined.
I did see that you can assign steering to the d pad, if for some weird reason anyone cares.

eso76

ResidentDante said:
Is there an achievement for doing this? Cause if not, I won't bother, I'm glad you warned me :lol

can't remember but i'm pretty sure there is, since there's 5 points achievments for taking pics and stuff like that. You can export 5/10/15/25/30 secs clips though, so you might just export 5 seconds, which should take considerably less time.

Falt

I'm probably jumping the gun here, but are there any indept tutorial videos for the livery editor yet? I hadn't played Forza (any of them, for shame) until the demo for 3, so I have no idea how the editor works. I'm just eager to get a look at in action. Some of these custom paint jobs are mind blowing!

Jube3

Falt said:
I'm probably jumping the gun here, but are there any indept tutorial videos for the livery editor yet? I hadn't played Forza (any of them, for shame) until the demo for 3, so I have no idea how the editor works. I'm just eager to get a look at in action. Some of these custom paint jobs are mind blowing!

Yea there are for 2 and Im working on some for release.
I created a clip from my archives on the brutal legend start, it gives you an idea on how to layout shapes i guess. http://www.justin.tv/clip/e38fb84102055c87

Also just wanted to post my baby again lol, its nothing special design wise but I LOVE IT hehe. 800 HP 84 supra, 0-60 in 4. flat. I changed the rim to the largest on the back by accident. I usually have a smaller one back there.
84supradoll.jpg

Heres the supra in action vs a mclaren and a veyron :D
http://www.justin.tv/clip/906669bf51e00175

Also one quick thing about Drag racing that I will write more about in my impressions that I havent seen in any reviews. KUDOS T10, what a fantastic implementation. I had some multiplayer dragging with some BLKJ guys last night and none of us had done multiple drag races yet. We figured the first group would go then a restart and the next would go. But no! All the cars are lined up at once on the strip in a row (pairs) The game splits you up in to groups right (you pick sides). The first group gets their countdown and goes, then a 5 second countdown appears, and the next group goes, and so on an so forth. Its awesome, its well implemented and its smooth. I was really impressed by that and its become one of my favorites modes now. even without an 8 lane strip.

Also heres a WIP preview of the brutal legend cab. Im redoing the face to save layers and get a smoother look, not really happy with it yet. I might also put this on a transam instead but I like the guitar amp on the back cover. I dunno. It doesnt scream eddie to me atm.
brutallegendcab.jpg

nib95

Banned
After you've installed from disc 2, do you ever have to use it again? On a side note, the menu's are seriously sexy. Like that they used a weird old English fella for the voice over too lol.

Jube3 said:
Yea there are for 2 and Im working on some for release.
I created a clip from my archives on the brutal legend start, it gives you an idea on how to layout shapes i guess. http://www.justin.tv/clip/e38fb84102055c87

Also just wanted to post my baby again lol, its nothing special design wise but I LOVE IT hehe. 800 HP 84 supra, 0-60 in 4. flat. I changed the rim to the largest on the back by accident. I usually have a smaller one back there.
84supradoll.jpg
I didn't know that you could make the back different sizes to the front, that's quite cool.

nib95 said:
Interesting. All for just 1.9GB's extra. Wonder how much the production cost increases for Team 10 because of that one extra disk?
I don't think it's much for a 2nd disc, a few pence to print each one since it's done in bulk?

Plus you never know when you will need that disc again, hdd failure, new hdd etc, I don't think hdd transfers by the MS cable allows installed games to go across.

nofi

nib95 said:
Interesting. All for just 1.9GB's extra. Wonder how much the production cost increases for Team 10 because of that one extra disk?

There's quite a bit of stuff on there, some of the best cars, too, so it's well worth it. I've installed disk 1 as well.

Top Bottom