• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 |OT|

skyfinch

Coldsnap said:
Is there any difference between the regular and platinum xbox 360 versions? I'm thinking of giving this game a try, I usually don't like the actual racing in racing sims but auto braking and rewind might just do it for me. Or should I get NFS Shift?

If it's platinum "Ultimate Collection", then it's different. All the DLC cars and tracks are including, and there's some Top Gear video thing.

Btw, there is a Forza 3 demo on Marketplace if you want to try before you buy.
With all the assists on, Forza 3 is really easy to jump in and play, if you don't like sims.

Coldsnap

you would think Forza would be on games for demand...

Since I have not played a racing sim should I just cut my teeth with the cockpit view? I heard that is the best way to play.

I played both the shift and forza demo, shift has a more modern presentation but something about forza seems super classy.

witness

Coldsnap said:
you would think Forza would be on games for demand...

Since I have not played a racing sim should I just cut my teeth with the cockpit view? I heard that is the best way to play.

I played both the shift and forza demo, shift has a more modern presentation but something about forza seems super classy.

If you decide to use the cockpit view you should change the viewing angle by going into the multi-screen settings. The default view is just way too close, you're on top of the steering wheel. With some angle adjustment you can get a realistic view while driving and it works great.

saladine1

Be careful with adjusting FOV though, it skews the sense of speed.
I myself prefer a closer view as is demonstrated in FM3 rather than GT5's for example.

On another note, Jube, if Turn 10 can replicate the following sound effetcs for FM4, i'll fly down to the U.S and personally annoint Mr.Greenawalt's feet with oil....
:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YPabCzxMXM

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
saladine1 said:
Be careful with adjusting FOV though, it skews the sense of speed.
I myself prefer a closer view as is demonstrated in FM3 rather than GT5's for example.

On another note, Jube, if Turn 10 can replicate the following sound effetcs for FM4, i'll fly down to the U.S and personally annoint Mr.Greenawalt's feet with oil....
:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YPabCzxMXM
Changing FOV also lengthens loading times, oddly.

Jube3

cjelly said:
Remember when My Forza worked?

I spent an hour trying to download 5 pics yesterday. Only managed to grab 3 in that time.

Hit up "My Forza" now when you get a chance and let me know how its working for you. Our web guys made optimizations to the backend which have helped increase the speed of both My Forza and the Community Gallery.

skyfinch

Actually managed to DL a video clip. :p
The speed boost at "my forza" is so nice.

forza68u.jpg

forza69.jpg

forza72.jpg

forza83n.jpg

aaaaauv.jpg

abclh.jpg

ShapeGSX

I finally got my Fanatec pedals. I decided to skip the standard pedals and get the Clubsport pedals instead.

With the Fanatec wheels and Forza, you MUST start the wheel up with 900 degrees of rotation ("SEn") before you start the game. This makes all the difference in the world. Also, do not start the XBox by hitting the XBox button on the wheel. Start the XBox, then start the wheel.

After doing this, I'm really loving the wheel and pedals now, in Forza. Before learning about starting up with 900 degrees, I was a bit disappointed in how the wheel was reacting. After, though, the wheel is awesome. The wheel also sports two buttons on the left that let you look left and right, which the MS wheel was missing.

I made my own pedal stop last night, which makes a difference, too. It works just like the one that Fanatec sells.

Fanatec GT2:
P58662500.jpg

Pedal stop (pedals are fully adjustable):
P58663001.jpg

I left foot break and don't clutch, so I moved the brake pedal as far to the left as I could:
P58663502.jpg

ShapeGSX

I made the pedal stop.

Fanatec sells one, though. That's where I got the idea.

http://www.fanatec.de/webshop/new_usa/product_info.php?products_id=65

Theirs is $15. Mine cost me $16, but I didn't have to pay shipping. $5 of it was the plastic knobs that could just be replaced with nuts.

The bottom piece is a piece of steel that had countersunk holes drilled in it already. I think it is meant for building repair. The top piece is an aluminum L that I got at the hardware store. $7 for a 4 foot piece. I cut off a length of it with my dremel, drilled two holes in it, and it was done. The bolts I used were flat head machine bolts that went perfectly into the countersunk holes in the steel strap. Then use a couple nuts to make sure that the bolts don't spin in the steel strap as you turn the knobs to tighten the top down.

I probably should have gone for the heavier gauge aluminum L, as Fanatec has. The thin aluminum I used is visibly bending, but it doesn't move.

Fanatec stopped the GT2 Clubsport Edition bundle (they told me it'd be back on at the end of January) is it worth waiting for that again or order the stuff separately now?

From what I remember it dosen't work any cheaper than just getting wheel/shifter/clubsport pedals.

ShapeGSX

Yeah, it is the same price whatever edition you get. Fanatec is really swamped right now, though. They said that orders of the GT2 now will get shipped in May. I'd stick with your clubsport edition order since you should get that sooner.

Supposedly the holdup of the CS edition was that they didn't have any shifters.

G Rom

I hate you ShapeGSX ! :(

Anyway, I wanted to try this speed bump that My Forza got (better late than never) but I guess I won't be able to do so as I keep getting this each time I try :

errorheader.jpg

:-/

skyfinch

G Rom said:

Anyway, I wanted to try this speed bump that My Forza got (better late than never) but I guess I won't be able to do so as I keep getting this each time I try :

errorheader.jpg

Got that right now as well.

lord pie

drugstore_cowboy said:
Fanatec stopped the GT2 Clubsport Edition bundle (they told me it'd be back on at the end of January) is it worth waiting for that again or order the stuff separately now?

From what I remember it dosen't work any cheaper than just getting wheel/shifter/clubsport pedals.

I got the Turbo-S clubsport edition and the stand, and if I recall it did end up cheaper, the shifters were 'free'. However I'll be honest and say I'm really not all that happy with the shifters. The pedals are amazing, the wheel is great too (although I'm a bit jealous of the GT2)

* to clarify, the shifters aren't terrible - they just don't attach to the wheel very well and they are *way* too loud.

gtmax

I'm going to impulse buy the GT3 wheel anytime now. I'll keep the G25 pedals though. I'm really curious about how the ABS FF feels on these wheels. The GT2 is ideal but it sounds too steep when the GT3 is just as good - but is NOT compatible with the 360. I'd love to try Forza 3 with a proper FF wheel.

Jube3

G Rom said:

errorheader.jpg

Yea our guys are looking into the error people are getting when hitting up My Forza (and sometimes the front page).

I played this again the other day, had like 760k in my storefront bank lol, ridge racer cars = money :D

I played some PGR4 last night also with some wet races, if forza 4 can come close to matching the wet feeling and visuals of pgr4 it would be amazing, but I know the dvd's can only hold so much data... forza's method would have to be selective tracks only or something dynamic, maybe not looking as good as baked results.

Jube3 said:
I just sent you a new Scooby to go take pics in :)
haha, magical, will check it out after dinner.

DJ_Lae

G Rom said:

errorheader.jpg

Haha, I didn't realize they were using that as an error screen.

I remember taking that shot from Forza 2.

I always find it funny that the error image has a yellow flag on it yet the game doesn't do f-all for crashes online or off :p or grass corner shortcuts.

DJ_Lae

Yeah, some sort of penalties online would have been nice, although I mostly played casual races so the odd crash didn't bother me too mush.

The one in the error picture, though, was kind of amusing. I was near the back of the pack, and someone early on had clipped the inside wall and spun out, right into my line. No time to brake, and I smacked into them and was rammed from behind at the same time, launching the first person into the air.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKTEfUQtL-Q

jcutner

i really wish we could buy the stig garage pack like the regular DLC :(

forza 3 is the only game i've been consistently playing since it came out

DJ_Lae said:
Yeah, some sort of penalties online would have been nice, although I mostly played casual races so the odd crash didn't bother me too mush.

The one in the error picture, though, was kind of amusing. I was near the back of the pack, and someone early on had clipped the inside wall and spun out, right into my line. No time to brake, and I smacked into them and was rammed from behind at the same time, launching the first person into the air.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKTEfUQtL-Q
A story to that image, awesome lol

Thanks for s204 jube, is that a unicorn in forza 3 like it was in 2? (I had it in the forza 2 LE so it was ok :p)

But the website keeps giving me errors just trying to view forzamotorsport.net, fuck I wish microsoft were less anal about exporting high quality images to a usb stick, this website lark ruins everything and I just know F4 will suffer the same shit.

bkfount said:
I'm sure it's been asked a few times, but what's some opinions on must buy DLC?
do you like cars? that's about it, they are just new cars to add to the already 400 or so in the game.

I only bought the first dlc pack because I am a sucker.

Jube any word on why I can't sign in to FM.net any more? always get an error page when I sign in otherwise I can view the website fine logged out, I want to post pics of that scooby :(

On a related note I bought forza 1 again the other day and it's here, going to play it all night because the first game is awesome and I love the menu music :D

*edit* feck, forza 1 is not supported over VGA 50hz :/ looks like i'm not playing that tonight then.

witness

So was the community pack the last DLC? I really hope not because I would love to buy some more cars, especially if T10 did an american muscle pack.

Anyone see the new ZL1? Should be a performance bargain in F4.

Thanks to jube a while ago I was given the stig's car pack for free, but today my copy of Ultimate Edition came and of course I have another stig's garage code, now going spare.

If you own FM3 and want the 3 cars which come with the pack quote me, first one can have the code :) please only do this if you will actually use them.

Diablohead said:
Thanks to jube a while ago I was given the stig's car pack for free, but today my copy of Ultimate Edition came and of course I have another stig's garage code, now going spare.

If you own FM3 and want the 3 cars which come with the pack quote me, first one can have the code :) please only do this if you will actually use them.

Please, sir?

I am looking for a dlc code for the latest Community Car Pack DLC. Please bear with me as I am not just looking for free content, I've actually already purchased the pack on a temporary account I setup to use while my main Gamertag/Account was being uncorrupted. I have access to the dlc since the temp account is still on my 360 but the ocd in me really would like to have all my purchased dlc under one roof.

My main account is UR BUS IS SHORT and the temporary account is FRY DADDY MO. I have purchased every dlc pack and would really just like to keep them all together as I already stated. I can even provide documented emails directly from MS that confirm the account corruption if needed.

Obviously its not the end of the world if I can't get a dlc code as I still have access to the content on both profiles. I just thought I'd ask just in case someone has an unused code lying around.

It's a bit annoying installing disc 2 content in the UE, you have to use the UE disc 1 (which doesn't run off the hdd if you have the regular game installed, despite being the same game) and then after installing disc 2 having to go over all the old car trial packs and stuff to free up room. Hopefully I deleted the right stuff otherwise i'll be downloading it all again lol.

Annoying also that there is car pack 8 out which is not included, don't really want to spend 400 allard coins on it just for DAT DELORIAN

Diablohead said:
It's a bit annoying installing disc 2 content in the UE, you have to use the UE disc 1 (which doesn't run off the hdd if you have the regular game installed, despite being the same game) and then after installing disc 2 having to go over all the old car trial packs and stuff to free up room. Hopefully I deleted the right stuff otherwise i'll be downloading it all again lol.

Annoying also that there is car pack 8 out which is not included, don't really want to spend 400 allard coins on it just for DAT DELORIAN

Meh, I picked up the ultimate Edition for £11 brand new. With getting that for so cheap, I didn't grudge them 400 points for the Delorian and co. I should mention that I never bought any of the previous DLC either, so I think it was a fair deal. I paid less than £15 for Forza 3, all it's DLC and the Top Gear Stig stuff.

If I'd previously bought all the DLC, or even just some of it, then I might have felt a little bit annoyed that the last car pack wasn't included. (even though the Ultimate edition came out weeks before the final(?) DLC)

Dead Man Typing said:
Meh, I picked up the ultimate Edition for £11 brand new. With getting that for so cheap, I didn't grudge them 400 points for the Delorian and co. I should mention that I never bought any of the previous DLC either, so I think it was a fair deal. I paid less than £15 for Forza 3, all it's DLC and the Top Gear Stig stuff.

If I'd previously bought all the DLC, or even just some of it, then I might have felt a little bit annoyed that the last car pack wasn't included. (even though the Ultimate edition came out weeks before the final(?) DLC)
Yeah I should not complain for buying the UE so cheap, I own the first car pack mainly for the R-35 and italia so that was worth it a year ago, but I won't pick up the latest car pack until it's on sale.

Saying that I raced a few laps on the nurb gp track dlc... it felt like I was playing a new forza seriously, the road was bumpy, the lighting was nice, the replay camera angles are much improved over the other forza 3 tracks... if forza 4 can do this and more i'll be impressed and might actually watch replays :p

Top Bottom