• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 |OT|

So for the first time in ages I found myself playing this...

...I must admit that I'd forgotten how good it was. I think I stopped playing originally because I didn't want to use the pad, but couldn't be arsed setting up the wheel. Stupid. Still, will probably alternate between this and the umm, other game for a while I reckon.

G Rom

Nice, I'll be able to buy all the cars except the California. :)
And even nicer, I won't have to use my 400 MS Points as I won a code on Twitter !:D

jcutner

Jube3 said:
The pack is not live yet so I pulled together the PI and prices of the cars in the pack.

1971 AMC Javelin-AMX - E253 - 16,000 CR
1973 BMW Motorsport 2002 Turbo - E217 - 48,000 CR
1970 Chevrolet El Camino SS 454 - D284 - 50,000 CR
1971 De Tomaso Pantera - D316 - 42,000
1982 DeLorean DMC-12 - F104 - 20,000
1987 Ford Sierra RS500 Cosworth - D311 - 48,000 CR
1990 Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.5-16 Evolution II - D309 - 59,000
1978 Saab 99 Turbo - F108 - 7,000
1983 Volvo 242 Turbo Evolution - E212 - 7,500
1957 Ferrari 250 California - E221 - 2,750,000

when will the pack be live? i'm hoping tonight, as it's my birthday tomorrow! would be a nice gift from Turn10!

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I really liked the book that game with the Forza 2 LCE. I would like to see something similar with Forza 4. Personally I didn't really care for the F3 LCE.

CozMick

Banned
Just picked up the ultimate edition,

Christ on a bike, the amount of dlc you get is bonkers.

Anyone know what the install is of all the content?

Thanks.

Shaneus

Ferrari 250 GT California

Oh yeah.

Less than a hundred were made. My father spent three years restoring this car. It is his love, it is his passion... it is his fault he didn't lock the garage :D

witness

CozMick said:
Just picked up the ultimate edition,

Christ on a bike, the amount of dlc you get is bonkers.

Anyone know what the install is of all the content?

Thanks.

3.4g for the entire second disc, over 10 gigs total if you install disc 1 also.

Ugh this isn't up yet!? I'm waiting to give you my money!

state_vector_collapse said:
To be honest I don't think those surveys are any cop. I did one for Forza 3 and nearly everything asked in the survey never made it into the final game.

Could it be because no one want LC and vote against them in the survey? Anyway, the book that comes with GT5 is beautiful and something similar for cars in Forza 4 would be great. They did really cool thing with all their DLC cars on the website and something like that for LC would be awesome.

I rather not have model cars and have no use for another wheel but if they want to do a pack in with wheel as "Legendary" edition for those who want wheels that would be fine by me.

If they do exclusive cars, you will have bunch of people cry foul, they already cry about UE edition that are platinum hit prices having special cars. I think best for them to do is special tune cars and design for LE now that they have Jube working for them, I am sure we will see many more awesome designs.

lord pie

SCHUEY F1 said:
I really liked the book that game with the Forza 2 LCE. I would like to see something similar with Forza 4. Personally I didn't really care for the F3 LCE.

I bought both F2 and F3's LCE. And I wasn't terribly happy with either.

The sorts of things I'd like to see in an LCE are simple, silly things that can identify you - but don't feel like you are restricting other players (like car exclusivity). For example I'd love some 'props' for my car like police lights, flags, tinted headlights, neons, exhaust flames, rally gear, etc :lol

Also I'd love to see an LCE that gives you all future DLC. :D Like the ultimate edition now.

G Rom

Three photos of the AMC that I took. As soon as I get my code, expect some photos of the 190E !:D

5262961253_d08cd44d8e_z.jpg

5262961053_04d40d2510_z.jpg

5262961147_7084e4c0d5_z.jpg

Shaneus said:
Ferrari 250 GT California

Oh yeah.

Less than a hundred were made. My father spent three years restoring this car. It is his love, it is his passion... it is his fault he didn't lock the garage :D

WHAT?!

TheOddOne

Jube3 said:
The pack is not live yet so I pulled together the PI and prices of the cars in the pack.

1971 AMC Javelin-AMX - E253 - 16,000 CR
1973 BMW Motorsport 2002 Turbo - E217 - 48,000 CR
1970 Chevrolet El Camino SS 454 - D284 - 50,000 CR
1971 De Tomaso Pantera - D316 - 42,000
1982 DeLorean DMC-12 - F104 - 20,000
1987 Ford Sierra RS500 Cosworth - D311 - 48,000 CR
1990 Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.5-16 Evolution II - D309 - 59,000
1978 Saab 99 Turbo - F108 - 7,000
1983 Volvo 242 Turbo Evolution - E212 - 7,500
1957 Ferrari 250 California - E221 - 2,750,000
That Ferrari is worth it. What the hell am I saying?

Shaneus

brotkasten said:
Jesus ...
You haven't seen it? Fuuuuck!

Go, now. Watch. I'm surprised there's anyone on the planet with access to a computer or TV who *hasn't*. It's likely the sole reason it's included in this pack. Amazing movie, you'll love it :)

Chicka-chick-aahhhh.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
The film isn't actually that good. I just watched it recently for the first time and was puzzled that it's so popular.

wmat said:
The film isn't actually that good. I just watched it recently for the first time and was puzzled that it's so popular.

It was a cultural touchstone. These things are always remembered through rose tinted glasses. Like Star Wars.

witness

The AMC is some pretty badass american muscle, really enjoy racing this thing. I plan on buying the pack on friday so can someone tell me what, if any, engine swap choices are there for the DeLorean?

G Rom

New batch of photos from the pack !:D

5264966982_c13eca8189_z.jpg

5264359167_9bdbc8e0f1_z.jpg

5264967172_2a3a9c061a_z.jpg

5264967252_45493c1d17_z.jpg

5264967328_46e4fbf2a9_z.jpg

5264967446_40539af8cc_z.jpg

5264359617_45555336a2_z.jpg

So far the modeling work is incredible. I can't wait to see those models with improved lighting and shaders in Forza 4 !

Shaneus

G Rom said:
New batch of photos from the pack !:D
So far the modeling work is incredible. I can't wait to see those models with improved lighting and shaders in Forza 4 !
Judging from those, it's hard to see that pack NOT being used in Forza 4. Amazing models there.

G Rom

witness said:
The AMC is some pretty badass american muscle, really enjoy racing this thing. I plan on buying the pack on friday so can someone tell me what, if any, engine swap choices are there for the DeLorean?

Just bought the DeLorean and there are no engine swap. You can put either twin turbochargers or a centrifugal supercharger though.

Shaneus

G Rom said:
Just bought the DeLorean and there are no engine swap. You can put either twin turbochargers or a centrifugal supercharger though.
Flux capacitor? :lol

Eagerly awaiting the vinyl kit that turns it into a near-BttF car. I'll at least be splurging on one that has the OUTATIME plates.

Iknos

G Rom said:

Used to say the same thing but my cousin corrected me on something...the lighting engine is definitely something that needs improvement but you can have better lighting and if your colors are not right it will still look cartoony.

When I play that other new console sim racer and come back to this I can see his point and can't agree any more.

T10 needs an artist guy who specializes in recreating photoreal visuals.

iRacing is doing something where they take a special photo of a texture and when you apply different lighting conditions to it they will still look very natural. This means you can do day/night and it will look realistic.

Maybe this belongs in the comparison thread...because that other game nails this part. More advanced lighting won't help because the Forza 2 and Forza 3 reveal CG trailers had more advanced lighting techniques but still had the same cartoony artistry...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrW215cgMLU

That looks good because it has high poly models and better lighting...but still not photo realistic!

Iknos said:
Used to say the same thing but my cousin corrected me on something...the lighting engine is definitely something that needs improvement but you can have better lighting and if your colors are not right it will still look cartoony.

When I play that other new console sim racer and come back to this I can see his point and can't agree any more.

T10 needs an artist guy who specializes in recreating photoreal visuals.

iRacing is doing something where they take a special photo of a texture and when you apply different lighting conditions to it they will still look very natural. This means you can do day/night and it will look realistic.

Maybe this belongs in the comparison thread...because that other game nails this part. More advanced lighting won't help because the Forza 2 and Forza 3 reveal CG trailers had more advanced lighting techniques but still had the same cartoony artistry...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrW215cgMLU

That looks good because it has high poly models and better lighting...but still not photo realistic!

He did say lighting and shaders though. For the car paint that's all you really need and you're 90% there. The other materials are hit and miss anyway.

Shaneus

Iknos said:
That's why I'm excited about F4... even though there was sweet fuck-all as far as in-game stuff goes, the stuff that *was* in-game has vastly improved lighting which seemed almost equal to that other game. Same as with the Forza Kinect demo... not much relevant in-game stuff was shown, but we did see that the lighting was vastly improved over 2 and 3.

Damn the Mercedes looks awesome.

Might have to buy a point card...

AMC is awesome too. Changed the rims and rim size but kept it mostly stock. Handles nicely.

Shaneus said:
You haven't seen it? Fuuuuck!

Go, now. Watch. I'm surprised there's anyone on the planet with access to a computer or TV who *hasn't*. It's likely the sole reason it's included in this pack. Amazing movie, you'll love it :)

Chicka-chick-aahhhh.

Wait, are you talking about that movie Mm Bau Bau?

q8rth.jpg

;D

I need to get back into this game. I logged on a little while back and figured I'd have like 20 VIP Gifts waiting. Did they stop doing that? :(

Shaneus

BenjaminBirdie said:
Wait, are you talking about that movie Mm Bau Bau?

http://i.imgur.com/q8rth.jpg[IMG]

;D

I need to get back into this game. I logged on a little while back and figured I'd have like 20 VIP Gifts waiting. Did they stop doing that? :([/QUOTE]
That looks like a cap from Always Sunny, but I've only just started watching it and am only halfway through season 1 :(

Iknos

Shaneus said:
Same as with the Forza Kinect demo... not much relevant in-game stuff was shown, but we did see that the lighting was vastly improved over 2 and 3.

Could have been upgraded but still looks nearly the same as FM3 in the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REnYXw-Fbq4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90HFQPVVndE

The gameplay portion does have better lighting and shadows yes but it still has the colors off.

The track doesn't look photo real. Sure it has more detail at 60fps than any other racing game but still the colors aren't right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9Iq1ddOaOk

The latest trailer has real time portions that don't impress either. Reflections are done incorrectly and lighting is still off.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
I don't really think that tech demo will have much to do with FM 4 Ik, we expect them to correct the problems you mentioned.

G Rom

When I said lighting and shaders, I implied colors and aesthetic yeah. :)
I agree with you Iknos, Forza has always been a great game technically but a mediocre one artistically. At E3, even with ray-traced screenshots, the car didn't look real. Sure, if you took some parts like the tires, the engine, etc... it looked damn real but the biggest part of the car (the body) wasn't believable at all.

Now, what we saw in the VGA trailer and in the new screenshots looks a lot better, and that's real-time (well the screenshots aren't but you get my idea) with no ray-tracing. That's why I can't wait to see real (as in driving) gameplay videos or more screenshots !:D

MagniHarvald said:
So.. I'm approaching the 6.5 MCR mark, have yet to buy anything really, any suggestions? :D

I have around 5 million also and every time I go tot he dealerships I usually end up with one of the cheaper lower class cars and messing around with the upgrades for it. I have no real urge to buy some of the super exotics in the game yet even I'll have to for some of the events.

If you don't have them
-458 Italia(if you have the DLC)
-The NSX's are awesome to upgrade. A bit down on power but handles so great and very predictable, good car to start practicing driving with assists off if you still use them.

Shaneus

Fired up F3 last night again for a quick play... I never realised how far behind I was in DLC. The whole time I was in Free Play I was remarking "Holy shit, the Joss! Holy shit, that Volvo! Holy shit, the new Legacy! Holy shit, the Bugatti!" :lol

That Joss is such a beast... sounds amazing, drives like a dream around Le Mans. Haven't purchased a car in a while, but I think that'll definitely be my next one, if only so I can upgrade the transmission so it doesn't top out at 319km/h along Mulsanne Straight :D

witness

The DeLorean is really rad, loving all the BttF designs on the store :lol I also went ahead and bought the VIP pack tonight because I just have to have all of the cars available for this game, I'm obsessed!

Hoooooly crap did T10 gift me a ton of VIP cars, wow. There's some really impressive machines here. I'm blown away, totally worth it.

Painkiller Q8 said:
Almost at level 50 but I didn't get into the fourth year yet, why?

Did you follow the race calendar or do you just pick your own race? I think to progress from year to year you have to follow the calendar.

h3ro

So I have 600 points on XBL burning a hole in my pocket. 400 of those are going to the Borderlands Claptrap DLC.

Which of the car packs up for sale should I pick up?

-Audi R8 LMS RC Car (Prop) - 160 Microsoft Points - 50% off
-Checkered Flags (Prop) - 80 Microsoft Points - 50% off
-The Exotic Car Pack - 200 Microsoft Points - 50% off
-The Road & Track Car Pack - 200 Microsoft Points - 50% off
-The Summer Velocity Car Pack - 200 Microsoft Points - 50% off
-World Class Car Pack - 200 Microsoft Points - 50% off

I'm leaning towards the exotic pack for things like the Mosler and Gumpert. What say you?

Also, anything coming up for VIPs, Jube?

Top Bottom