• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 |OT|

pr0cs

iamcool388 said:
Wait the game isnt out yet? I was planning on going to my friends place and play it there this weekend. :-(

When is release date, will keep that weekend free.

iamcool388 said:
I think I might finish up my uncharted playthroughs and then go over to my friends place this weekend and check it out!

hopefully your "friend" was intelligent enough to actually "buy" the software

pr0cs said:
hopefully your "friend" was intelligent enough to actually "buy" the software

I assumed that since the review came out in Giant Bomb, it was already out. They posted their Uncharted review after the game came out, so... *shrug*

Yoritomo

blanky said:
An automatic is technically much more efficient and quicker. Manual just provides more fun/control to a certain group of people. And with paddle shift transmissions you sort of get best of both worlds, the speed of an automatic and the fun of being in control. But the discussion of manual/automatic is mostly subjective and only partially technical.

Actually a traditional automatic is not more efficient or quicker. Traditional automatics use a torque converter instead of a mechanical clutch. The torque converter uses a fluid to transfer power from the motor to the transmission. Fluid coupling instead of a direct mechanical connection via a clutch means there's a pretty big efficiency loss. 10% or more at times.

Paddle shifted transmissions are typically computer operated manual gearboxes, or dual clutch transmissions. In the case of the latter they are much faster than any manual or traditional automatic as gear changes are basically instant.

Yoritomo

Diablohead said:
In the few cars I have had a chance to drive over the years the gear stick will not budge unless you open the clutch enough, so I dunno if that is taken into account in forza 3. Using clutch to let the car roll or get a biting point is important though.

You can rev match and shift without a clutch in a normal car. I can downshift with cruise control on in my manual without using the clutch...

There a story about some nut of a race driver that never uses the clutch and rev matches all his gearshifts.

Jube3

Thanks for the replys to the iron man car :D The storefront is such a sick source of money. I put a small price on my license plates (3000) and its made me like 30K so far lol.

cjelly said:
I guess there won't be many streamers on JTV now. Fuck 'em. :lol

Jube3, where are you? :D

Ill start streaming now, but its gonna be hired AI for a bit since i got an errand to do. Plus I can only load those 3 maps atm. Gonna see if I can get the install going again.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Jube3 said:
Thanks for the replys to the iron man car :D The storefront is such a sick source of money. I put a small price on my license plates (3000) and its made me like 30K so far lol.

Ill start streaming now, but its gonna be hired AI for a bit since i got an errand to do. Plus I can only load those 3 maps atm. Gonna see if I can get the install going again.

Jube, hit me up on IM or something.

We're doing a preorder giveaway of one of your cars.

Blog will go up soon tonight. ;)

commedieu

Banned
chespace said:
Jube, hit me up on IM or something.

We're doing a preorder giveaway of one of your cars.

Blog will go up soon tonight. ;)

How does this work with Licensed material(iron man)? Seems like it wouldn't be the best idea to involve real world money with it right?

chespace

commedieu said:
How does this work with Licensed material(iron man)? Seems like it wouldn't be the best idea to involve real world money with it right?

Why would I do anything with the Iron Man car?

Lovely car, BTW.

Iknos

abrasion said:
It went gold over a MONTH ago, it's been in boxes at retailers for a week for goodness sakes.

This is a business and they want to develop and release products that will maximize revenues and profits. An extra month of development time costs money.

Rather than having the game a month early I'd rather have another month of development on the game. But this is all MS's decision and there's nothing us consumers or even developer T10 can do about it.

commedieu

Banned
chespace said:
Why would I do anything with the Iron Man car?

Lovely car, BTW.

thought that was the one you u were talking about. Yeah that paint job is amazing. Lots of talented folk out there.

OH che,

What are the odds of a deal with Logitech being worked out for some sort of... I dont know? Support for F3?

Ding

blanky said:
Something that might be useful to learn when to shift is to drive with the telemetry. When you see the torque peak you should shift up.
Short shifting like that would kill your overall acceleration. For best acceleration, you'll want to get a lot closer to the red-line before upshifting. Yes, at higher revs your engine's torque is falling off, but premature up-shifting will reduce your effective torque even more, because the new gear ratio will be much less advantageous. Also, early up-shifting can drop the revs to a point that is further away from (i.e. below) the engine's torque peak/plateau, as compared to where it was in the lower gear. "Lugging" the engine to some degree....

The ideal shift point will be somewhere between the torque peak, and the horsepower peak, but likely closer to the latter.

Jube3

commedieu said:

This was just for fun, as for first party I got a few I want to do the Rare Restrospective will be my next car (which is gonna take a while), plus two others im doing.

These are the superhero ones I want to do
-Green lantern (green, grey and white car = drool)
- Captain America

I kinda wanna do hawkeye after seeing that picture but I dont think I could do that justice without using 800 layers.

commedieu

Banned
Jube3 said:
This was just for fun, as for first party I got a few I want to do the Rare Restrospective will be my next car (which is gonna take a while), plus two others im doing.

- Captain America

I kinda wanna do hawkeye after seeing that picture but I dont think I could do that justice without using 800 layers.

I havent touched the painting since F1.Is it more like Illustrator at this point?

Btw, amazing job man! Making me wish I could use my g25, id buy the game in a heartbeat!

Iknos

commedieu said:
What are the odds of a deal with Logitech being worked out for some sort of... I dont know? Support for F3?

You might as well buy the Fanatec wheel. It doesn't look like Logitech will make an XID FFB wheel. The Fanatec wheel is also compatible with the PC and PS3 so if you have those platforms it is the ultimate multiplatform wheel.

It's a bit pricier than say the G25 but the quality of FFB and the Clubsport pedals are much better so it would be worth it. Plus it has rumble in the wheel like the MS wheel. The only drawback I see is that the sequential shifter and H-shifter are seperate and not together like on the G25.

commedieu

Banned
Iknos said:
You might as well buy the Fanatec wheel. It doesn't look like Logitech will make an XID FFB wheel. The Fanatec wheel is also compatible with the PC and PS3 so if you have those platforms it is the ultimate multiplatform wheel.

It's a bit pricier than say the G25 but the quality of FFB and the Clubsport pedals are much better so it would be worth it. Plus it has rumble in the wheel like the MS wheel. The only drawback I see is that the sequential shifter and H-shifter are seperate and not together like on the G25.

I'd have to buy a 360 too. So its like this 299 for elite(or forza bundle)+60 for forza3 +50xbl then $300 for the fantec. Just got a brake kit for my car -- So I'll hold my breath, hope, and just enjoy the liveries :).

DarkJC

Iknos said:

Is it beyond the realm of possibility that some sort of adapter between the wheel and console could be made to translate the XID commands the 360 is sending into the ones the G25 accepts?

For those just buying a wheel now, obviously the Fanatec is the wheel to buy, but for those with G25's already just buying a Fanatec wheel is a pricy option.

On a more Forza related note, now that my 360 is back up and running I've finally had a chance to play with the demo quite a bit, and I'm very impressed. I've played a ton out of each of the 5 cars and almost can't get enough. Definitely picking this game up day 1, glad I'm mostly hyped for it now that it's only a week away.

pr0cs

DarkJC said:
Is it beyond the realm of possibility that some sort of adapter between the wheel and console could be made to translate the XID commands the 360 is sending into the ones the G25 accepts?
The only way the 360 will ever support other wheels is if they open up the OS and add that support.
Some sort of adapter will likely never happen.

Jube3

commedieu said:
I havent touched the painting since F1.Is it more like Illustrator at this point?

Btw, amazing job man! Making me wish I could use my g25, id buy the game in a heartbeat!

No its the same setup as F1, using premade shapes to create stuff.

commedieu said:

why you here?, your going to use your g25 to paint a car?

Oli

Here's a question for people who have the game:

These cars with the elaborate portraits on them, are these really created using the basic shapes? Or is there a free paint type thing you can do?

I seriously can't believe the stuff people can make with seemingly simple tools, but it makes me excited.

Oli said:
Here's a question for people who have the game:

These cars with the elaborate portraits on them, are these really created using the basic shapes? Or is there a free paint type thing you can do?

I seriously can't believe the stuff people can make with seemingly simple tools, but it makes me excited.

If you watch Jube3's justin.tv stream, you'll see that he's using shapes to make everything. But it's very flexible, with the ability to warp it, change transparancy, etc

This is actually a MUCH better approach than if you could free-hand draw with the controller.

DarkJC

I'm excited to play with the livery editor as this will be my first Forza, but I know I'll be pretty bad at it :lol

I imagine I'll be doing more buying than selling.

Recoil

LaserBuddha said:
This is actually a MUCH better approach than if you could free-hand draw with the controller.

I can't help but disagree.

A freehand vector-based system would be much, much more flexible and less of a pain to work with, for the portrait-and-full-scene-artwork crowd.

But it isn't bad for what it is. Certainly, I'll say that it's a much better system for doing a lot of the simpler stuff, like racing liveries and flames.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Diablohead said:
In the few cars I have had a chance to drive over the years the gear stick will not budge unless you open the clutch enough, so I dunno if that is taken into account in forza 3. Using clutch to let the car roll or get a biting point is important though.

In some of the Fanatec beta test videos, they show different cars having different clutch models. One guy slowly let go of the clutch while rolling backwards on a hill, in a Mini he would hit a spot where the car would stand still whereas in the Porsche when he hit the right point the sucker just went.

blanky said:
An automatic is technically much more efficient and quicker. Manual just provides more fun/control to a certain group of people. And with paddle shift transmissions you sort of get best of both worlds, the speed of an automatic and the fun of being in control. But the discussion of manual/automatic is mostly subjective and only partially technical.
I'm not talking about manual vs automatic, I'm talking about a digital clutch (on/off) vs a progressive one (not just on/off but variable between off and fully engaged).

Recoil said:
I can't help but disagree.

A freehand vector-based system would be much, much more flexible and less of a pain to work with, for the portrait-and-full-scene-artwork crowd.

But it isn't bad for what it is. Certainly, I'll say that it's a much better system for doing a lot of the simpler stuff, like racing liveries and flames.

I'm not talking about vectors at all, I'm talking about free-hand drawing as I said in my post. So you aren't disagreeing with me.

This thing sort of has vectors in the use of warpable lines as shapes, so it does a servicable job of providing that flexibility.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Jube3 said:

- Captain America

Whoa! I just did a nooby Green Lantern 959 paint job in Forza 2 about an hour ago. Pretty amateur, but I just love the symbol. Will be cool to see what else you can come up with with those comic book characters, especially Cap Am. I did a pale minty green design on top of a foresty green and topped it off with the Lantern logo throughout.

chespace

For those of you with Forza Motorsport 3 preorder receipts (from any country):

http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/b...orza-motorsport-3-pre-order-car-giveaway.aspx

The free cars:

original.aspx

original.aspx

original.aspx

Freehand drawing in the editor would suck, but vector bezier handles? Fuck yes. They'd be easily controllable with a gamepad, too.

edit: Can we scan our receipts for the car giveaway? My camera and phone camera are both broken

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I wonder how many different Audi R8 V10s I am going to get, just off of pre-orders and stuff :lol

Sweet deal though, I'll get on this quick, just pre-ordered today, and put a good 3/4 of it down.

Iknos

DarkJC said:

I would think so but according to Logitech this would be an unlikely solution.

The way Fanatec does it is that they translate commands from the PS3/PC game to XID commands on the wheel...seems like an easier route than the other way around. Though I would think the other way around should be possible.

Just sent my email through! Used an online order...I just blocked out my address since I figured that was irrelevant (hope that's okay...che?). Awesome idea.

Top Bottom