• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 |OT|

Oli

This question may have been asked before, but I've been wondering:

How does the launch day token thing work? Do you get a code inside the box that you input and then download something? Or does the game just recognize the date when you start it up and allow you to get the package?

Also, excellent job OP!

Oli

Spaceman Spiff said:
Each new copy of the game comes with a download code.

So it's like the initial shipment then? I guess you don't have to buy it at launch then right? But you're odds would be better if you did.

Nice OP, was wondering when the thread would go up.

Got the LE version pre-ordered @ gamestop. Can't wait to get my hands on a proper driving sim after playing through NFS:Shift. :D

Jube3

Thanks guys, Ill be home in a few hours to finish the OP, fix the mixtapes and get the official Livery thread up.

Oli said:
So it's like the initial shipment then? I guess you don't have to buy it at launch then right? But you're odds would be better if you did.

From what I understand, the codes will be included for the foreseeable future. You'd of course be guaranteed to get it at launch, but I can't see how waiting a few weeks or something would be a problem.

Finally watched both parts of Blim's Spectacular full Fujimi Kaido lap and WOWSERS that is one gorgeously designed track. That one little futuro-style bridge? Blew my socks right off!!

Ryan_Rigney

Neo Member
I just uploaded a mario "power up" mushroom and 1UP mushroom to the storefront. They're pixel perfect and only cost 1,000 cred, so I encourage other reviewers to go check em out :)

dejay

Banned
I am disappointed by the current quality of photo mode pics and hopefully when the servers die down a little we can get some better shots. Better photo mode pics will equal bigger sales as a lot of people are interested in taking beautiful pictures and showing them off. As an amateur student in the shools of exposure and composition it's something I always like in games.

Still, I remember the servers for LBP when that was released - even simple shit like editing a level on your own was problematic so perhaps some discretion at launch is warranted.

Ryan_Rigney said:
I just uploaded a mario "power up" mushroom and 1UP mushroom to the storefront. They're pixel perfect and only cost 1,000 cred, so I encourage other reviewers to go check em out :)

It's going to be interesting to see how prices for stuff settles. Unlike auctions, a creator of a graphic can sell thousands of pieces if the price is low enough because they don't have to keep buying cars and putting them up for auction, undercutting someone who has made a similar piece. I expect prices for popular images to plummet as more people make them. Limited edition full designs made to amazing quality however should still go for a lot.

That's something I loved about Forza 2 - the price dynamics and the way the market worked. The meta games in FM3, as well as online, is what will give FM3 legs. Racing is just a part of it but it's still a racing game at heart, only the activities associated with racing like tuning, artwork, buying selling, etc, are all catered for too.

Jube3

m0dus said:
Jube3, hold up on the Official Livery Thread---I might have been a bit out of the loop at this point, but I've actually been working on something for it.

Ok, PM sent.

sneaky77

is there going to be some kind of neogaf racing setup? I am not the best racer out there, but is always fun to race with a good group of people

EazyB

Banned
Fantastic OP.

Really looking forward to picking up the game. I've been playing Forza 2 over the past few months in preparation.

Oli said:
This question may have been asked before, but I've been wondering:

How does the launch day token thing work? Do you get a code inside the box that you input and then download something? Or does the game just recognize the date when you start it up and allow you to get the package?

Also, excellent job OP!

It's a code. They're in review boxes also but the code doesn't actually do anything yet, presumably the cars/tracks haven't been uploaded to Live.

I have this now, it arrived today... absolutely in love. Feel free to add me, fellow early-Forza GAFers. I threw some Sonic/Megaman sprite decal groups onto the store, too.

APZonerunner said:
I have this now, it arrived today... absolutely in love. Feel free to add me, fellow early-Forza GAFers. I threw some Sonic/Megaman sprite decal groups onto the store, too.

I think, to salve the ghastly wounds of forced observation, anyone who's getting the game early provides at least two paragraphs of impressions.

Please. It's...so hard to not have this game whilst others do.

I'll be your best friend?

:(

m0dus said:
That's the plan. I've been chipping away at official team vinyls for racing, drag racing, drifting, etc, similar to what we did with 2. I imagine we'll set up dummy friends lists for each team, so people can find hit up the online events as a group.

I'd recommend the Birdie Method, in which instead of posting a GAF tag that people send requests to, start a list in the online thread and whoever creates the dummy account SENDS OUT the invites to the people on that list. Cuts down on lurkers gumming up the works and then never playing. (See: Firefight.)

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
m0dus said:
That's the plan. I've been chipping away at official team vinyls for racing, drag racing, drifting, etc, similar to what we did with 2. I imagine we'll set up dummy friends lists for each team, so people can find hit up the online events as a group.
Awesome, as I said before, this time I will be venturing online, so I hope you lot don't mind a Brit invading your party!

Anyway, Forza 2 re-training in progress. I am using my cheap but nice MC2 wheel for the first time in Forza, it's doing pretty well to be honest.
BenjaminBirdie said:
I think, to salve the ghastly wounds of forced observation, anyone who's getting the game early provides at least two paragraphs of impressions.

Please. It's...so hard to not have this game whilst others do.

I'll be your best friend?

:(
Totally agree, at least make us feel a bit better by giving us your thoughts on the game, other than the simple "it's awesome" that makes us peons feel bad!

dejay

Banned
Just watched a preliminary race to the Bathurst 1000. Nice to see the FM3 and 360 advertising at the end of conrod straight.

voodoo

Neo Member
Unfreakinbelievable OP, amazing job Jube.

Those who put stuff up on the storefront, can you guys enter keywords in the description and tell us what to search for? Makes it a lot easier to find

Haunted

Stop It said:
That's not a good thing.

<3s UK retail not charging until delivery.
To be fair, I used one of Gamestop's ridiculous offers, trading in Quake IV and The Club (lol and lol) +10€ for Forza III.

Stop It

Haunted said:
To be fair, I used one of Gamestop's ridiculous offers, trading in Quake IV and The Club (lol and lol) +10€ for Forza III.
Ok, that's pretty good.

I can't believe I am saying this, but I can't wait for Gamestop to hurry up and go National in the UK, GAME/Gamestation need some serious competition, and this trade in stuff is very tempting.

Haunted said:

Yeah, I totally demolished that joint today. Batman: AA + three scrub games still (just barely!) qualified me for the +$20 on trade ins. Add on GTA: Chinatown and FREE FM3 LE + PGR3 USED FUN PAK.

:D

Jube3 said:
Thanks guys, Ill be home in a few hours to finish the OP, fix the mixtapes and get the official Livery thread up.

You should make it a Livery and Storefront thread so it'll be easier for gaf to find each others designs.

nice op also :)

Jube3

Some quick stats on my game time
Total Races: 101
Total Podiums: 99
Total victories 1st: 83

Number of cars in garage: 27
Garage Worth:3,555,630
Worth of upgrades: 471,630

Time spent painting: 33 hr 56 min :lol
Time spent storefront: 2hr 10 min
Time spent driving: 8hr 14 min
Time spent upgrading 1hr 52 min
46 hours played in 7 days..holy #$@! lol

I just realized that I have not posted my impressions yet which I will due in a bit.

ExtraKr1spy said:
You should make it a Livery and Storefront thread so it'll be easier for gaf to find each others designs.

nice op also :)

M0dus is handling the Livery Thread which will be up closer to the UK launch, it will have links to storefronts if the website allows it. I will add tuning storefronts to this OP.

I still have the Tuning, wallpaper and more media to add as well to the OP.

KaYotiX

Banned
Nice stats Jube hehe!! I know in Forza 2 i did races for the first 9-10 hrs then spent the next 20+ just painting LOL!!

Stop It

Jube3 said:
Some quick stats on my game time
Total Races: 101
Total Podiums: 99
Total victories 1st: 83

Number of cars in garage: 27
Garage Worth:3,555,630
Worth of upgrades: 471,630

Time spent painting: 33 hr 56 min :lol
Time spent storefront: 2hr 10 min
Time spent driving: 8hr 14 min
Time spent upgrading 1hr 52 min
46 hours played in 7 days..holy #$@! lol

I just realized that I have not posted my impressions yet which I will due in a bit.
Woah.

May i ask, what difficulty do you play at? (As that is quite an impressive record). Also, you have spent more time in Forza 3 this week than I have spent at work in the same period of time.

*looks at painting time again*

Christ.

Haunted

BenjaminBirdie said:
Yeah, I totally demolished that joint today. Batman: AA + three scrub games still (just barely!) qualified me for the +$20 on trade ins. Add on GTA: Chinatown and FREE FM3 LE + PGR3 USED FUN PAK.

:D
love your rewind defence force avatar, btw.

jkg421.gif
:lol

Jube3

Stop It said:
Woah.

May i ask, what difficulty do you play at? (As that is quite an impressive record). Also, you have spent more time in Forza 3 this week than I have spent at work in the same period of time.

*looks at painting time again*

Christ.

Hah yea I didnt get a lot of sleep this week. lol

Im not hardcore about it (although in forza 2 it was much more fun with everything off to me), it just takes me some time to be able to move into the all assists off. But I think its on medium AI, and ABS off. Ill ween myself off that once i get another hour or so into racing.

Stop It

Jube3 said:

Im not hardcore about it (although in forza 2 it was much more fun with everything off to me), it just takes me some time to be able to move into the all assists off. But I think its on medium AI, and ABS off. Ill ween myself off that once i get another hour or so into racing.
More power to you, the more people like you awesome stuff, the more leeches like me can get some great artwork on their cars!

As for difficulty, I usually start at a similar level, using Medium/some assists before coming off them, that way I can ramp up the difficulty once I learn the handling model 100%.

Finally, I just won a race using the Porsche GT3 car in the F3 demo, no mean feat considering something about using an R3 car turns the AI into raging lunatics!

Note to that BMW who liked to punt me off at any possibly opportunity, I HATE YOU!

Edit: Oh, why does there appear to be rubber banding? I gave the AI 10 seconds to give me a chance at some clean laps and I caught them up by the middle of the lap. Please, do not do this to me :(

sneaky77

Jube3 said:

best track for you so far? if u dont mind me asking

Jube3

Tiago Leite said:
Quick question: how much space is needed to install the first disc?

6.8 GB space to install
1.9 for the Second disc.

I gotta make some room to install, lots of rockband and xbla games

best track for you so far? if u dont mind me asking
Mine has to be Amalfi, or the longer Rally di Positano. Great variety on those tracks, kinda like a varied Sebring in terms of ground surfaces and elevation changes. Also a great series of turns and straights. I also love the visuals on that track, at one part you are whipping around along a beautiful coastline 20 seconds later you're zigzaging through closed italian streets at 100 mph. So good.

Ill capture a video of once I finish my workload.

voodoo

Neo Member
Stop It said:
Edit: Oh, why does there appear to be rubber banding? I gave the AI 10 seconds to give me a chance at some clean laps and I caught them up by the middle of the lap. Please, do not do this to me :(
Are you using the demo? Have you tried launching from the leaderboards to hotlap instead of race and get all the clean laps you want? Have you tried setting the AI difficulty to hard?

Stop It

voodoo said:
Are you using the demo? Have you tried launching from the leaderboards to hotlap instead of race and get all the clean laps you want? Have you tried setting the AI difficulty to hard?
Yey, I didn't know that at all, thanks very much.

Anyway, I was playing with the AI at Medium, Hard seems to get rid of it anyway, but thanks very much for the help.

VVV Mars VG

Some cools stats there Jube3, tought I'd list mine too:

percentage of career complete: 15.8%
level: 35
experience to next level: 42,100 XP
total winnings: 1,394,364 CR
online winnings: 47,389CR
current credits: 1,315,654 CR
distance driven: 1,109 miles
average speed: 85.5 mph
number of victories: 163
number of podiums: 173