• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 |OT|

GavinGT

Banned
Sorry is this has been discussed elsewhere, but is there no longer a HUD option to have the RPM gauge in the middle of the screen?

Dina

In anticipation of the launch on the 23th, I'm spending some time getting a few ideas for liveries together and finding good artwork for my ideas.

Tell me GAF, how sick am I?

And consequently, Jubei/m0dus, any particular websites where you find your high-res artwork?

Jube3

Dina said:
In anticipation of the launch on the 23th, I'm spending some time getting a few ideas for liveries together and finding good artwork for my ideas.

Tell me GAF, how sick am I?

And consequently, Jubei/m0dus, any particular websites where you find your high-res artwork?

The good thing about this is that it doesnt have to be hi-res. Google images/the wallpaper thread here at gaf is where I start. THen i branch out to official sites etc.

I just finished my Alan wake livery, barring a retweak. Im happy with it, the only thing that has me down is it ended up being a very similar shade of blue to my halo odst car. Which is kind of a bummer since I wanted this to be different. Ill post a gif later.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Well, it turns out that using a wheel kills my competitiveness it seems. I decided to try to play using my wireless pad for a while and almost immediately hit 1:01.9 in the GT3 (And than proceeded to fail to beat it for 18 more laps!).

Well, using my wheel is more fun, but the times do not lie. I think I could possibly, maybe hit 1:01, but not until I learn what consistency means.
Jube3 said:
I just finished my Alan wake livery, barring a retweak. Im happy with it, the only thing that has me down is it ended up being a very similar shade of blue to my halo odst car. Which is kind of a bummer since I wanted this to be different. Ill post a gif later.
I can't wait.

Jube3

Gif of the Allan Wake Wip. Just need to round out some of the trees and the bottom of the hood logo.
forza_alanwake2.gif

Stop It

Jube3 said:
Gif of the Allan Wake Wip. Just need to round out some of the trees and the bottom of the hood logo.
*holy crap gif*
Nice work, I like it a lot.

In other news, down to 1:01.3 and on the cusp of the top 10k on the leaderboards. I am within touching distance of 1:01 (I can shave 2 tenths of the 1st sector alone before cocking up) but it's still eluding me.

And yes, before you ask, I do have a problem.

p3tran

Banned
Stop It said:
In other news, down to 1:01.3 and on the cusp of the top 10k on the leaderboards. I am within touching distance of 1:01 (I can shave 2 tenths of the 1st sector alone before cocking up) but it's still eluding me.

And yes, before you ask, I do have a problem.

well done! as you can see, you already beat your earlier target time by a full 2 seconds :thumbs up
it is when you try to reach close to the limits that you realize what a great game forza3 is.

keep on rolling

ps. I think you WILL get a better time with the wheel, once you get a good feel of it ;)

Lucius86

Banned
Jube3 said:
Yea those were epic, I remember me and garnett smashing into each other with like 5 laps left on mugello. Heartbreaking lol

Ill make an online tag thread the day the UK releases.

I will definitely be up for this!!! Just got to make sure I reserve the TV beforehand ahead of my housemates :lol

Stop It said:
Nice work, I like it a lot.

I managed a 1.00.6 with the controller, but not tried with the wheel yet - I cannot wait to give it a go when my power supply turns up (bought a wheel on eBay without one, got some money back for the mistake with the seller - had to order one from Honk Kong...).

If I can match my times with the wheel to that of my controller, I will be a happy man!

Darklord

Banned
After all this time I still have to wonder how in the holy hell some people paint those cars, it's like they just stuck a real picture on it.

p3tran said:
ok, here's something good from the community, and maybe Jube you should stick it in the first post:

- Forza 3 Car List.xls - fully sortable
credit for this goes to kiwilord

- Forza 3 Car Specs.xls
credit goes to azt turbo

both from forzamotorsport.net

Nice find.

In general, I'm a fan of the of the new PI system, especially having all the cars in the game ranked on the same scale, however, there are still a few errors, some of which, strangely, weren't an issue in FM2.

Take the Murcielago LP640: Here it's an A-547, barely faster than a standard 2004 Gallardo, when in reality it should be ranked closer to cars like the Ferrari 599 (S-631) in terms of performance. However, going by that list, it seems some of the curb weights are now more accurate. In FM2, the LP640 was listed at ~3500 lbs/1587 kg, which is the manufacturer's dry weight without any fluids. Here it's more accurate at a porky 4068 lbs/ 1845 kg, which could explain some of it's lower PI ranking.

Interestingly, the Enzo is now an R3-721, while it's stats aren't noticeably greater than the top S-class cars'. It probably should be closer to cars its corporate cousin, the MC12, in the mid- to high-end S-class. Still, I'm glad that it's top speed and acceleration aren't inaccurately limited like they were in FM2.

I remember in one of the Turn 10 podcasts it was stated that the cars' PIs are now calculated from perfect laps around a test track with 100% friction and no loss of grip. That could explain why some cars particularly excel, while others don't. Then there's the issue of class balancing, which I hope has been kept to a minimum, (this being a simulator and all). In general, though, I'm a fan of the new system. Theoretically, it should be harder to abuse, but we'll see.

Actch review starts at 17:30. But they do laud a whole lot of stuff before that. The FM3 911 Porsche gets listed as one of their top Sim Cars of all time.

Stop It

Hmm, I just watched the Gamersyde Fujimi Kaido full lap part 2 and have learned two things.

1: Blim cannot drive (Assuming that was indeed him).
2: That track is awesome.

That is all.
Cloudy said:
Has this deal from Amazon been posted?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht...rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=493002791&pf_rd_i=B002LDYAW8

You get the game for free and the 360 wheel for $42 if you buy the forza racing seat

Look pretty nice. I don't know where I'd put that in my apt. though :lol
That looks like an adaptation of those "exercise seats" you see at 2am on Teleshopping broadcasts.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
The ISR guys seem pretty impressed. They say Forza 3's up there with iRacing, Netcar Pro, Arca Sim, and rFactor in terms of physics.

maeh2k

The ISR review is quite good and I like their more simulation focused perspective.

However, what they did get wrong, is the multiplayer. Forza's multiplayer component is certainly no 3/5.

It's not all about the number of players and there are simply so many options. I would say that the multiplayer and community aspects are Forza 3's greatest strengths and they really set it apart from the competition. Forza 2 is still one of my alltime favorite multiplayer experiences and 3 offers a lot more.

XiaNaphryz

maeh2k said:
The ISR review is quite good and I like their more simulation focused perspective.

However, what they did get wrong, is the multiplayer. Forza's multiplayer component is certainly no 3/5.

It's not all about the number of players and there are simply so many options. I would say that the multiplayer and community aspects are Forza 3's greatest strengths and they really set it apart from the competition. Forza 2 is still one of my alltime favorite multiplayer experiences and 3 offers a lot more.
Well, don't forget they're coming from a PC background and are used to having online races where fields of 20-30+ aren't out of the ordinary. I can see that alone knocking off a point. It's also a pre-release review, so there isn't a lot of people online yet anyway. Maybe if they re-review the online component post release they'd bump it up a little, but I can see how they got to that score given when they reviewed it.

8 players is good as long as no one quits, annoying in forza 1 and 2 when someone is 19 seconds down they just give up and quit, crashing is a bit different though if they can not race again.

I did expect to see 10-12 cars for forza 3 though, would have been nice imo especially if there is match making of sorts to setup full rooms. Saying that can someone with the game talk about how online races are done? lobby like forza 1-2 or is there some kind of auto grouping to make full rooms more often? Am I wrong thinking that there is matchmaking like I thought originally?

Stop It

Diablohead said:
8 players is good as long as no one quits, annoying in forza 1 and 2 when someone is 19 seconds down they just give up and quit, crashing is a bit different though if they can not race again.

I did expect to see 10-12 cars for forza 3 though, would have been nice imo especially if there is match making of sorts to setup full rooms. Saying that can someone with the game talk about how online races are done? lobby like forza 1-2 or is there some kind of auto grouping to make full rooms more often? Am I wrong thinking that there is matchmaking like I thought originally?
In all honesty 8 players is OK as long as the players are evenly matched, however you can't beat a full grid of 16 or more cars jostling for the win, and it's a shame the game/infrastructure cannot cope with more players.

Still, it wont prevent me from playing online, I just need to find a dedicated group of people of about my skill level (which is pretty dire going by my Forza 2 training at the moment.)

Jube3 said:
forza_alanwake2.gif
Heres what saddens me. I cant even recreate something like this on a 20 inch wacom tablet, yet you can create this using an xbox controller and some shapes. To say you painters/designers have a talent is quite an understatement. Truly inspiring my man. Keep up the great work.

Just finished watching that inside sim review, I like how they explained most of their reasons quite well, it was a good watch.

I really wish that I could afford one of those wheels though, first time I have seen one with the glowing buttons and lcd screen for setting changes on the wheel, looks beautiful.

eso76

maeh2k said:

true, but then again damage is certainly no 5/5 and a lot of other stuff they praise about the game left me a little skeptic.

XiaNaphryz

eso76 said:
true, but then again damage is certainly no 5/5 and a lot of other stuff they praise about the game left me a little skeptic.
Well, if they consider damage to be better than some PC sims and are benchmark-worthy, I can see why they gave it a 5/5 on that alone despite having some issues with it. It definitely sounded more like a 4.5/5 from some of the statements they were making about how it feels soft at times.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
From people who play lots of PC sims it seems, that is a great review. The use of "benchmark" so often makes me anxious to get my hands on it.

Also, for those with the game, what's the deal with body mods? Pre-release they pretty much never showed up aftermarket options in general. So what are the available bumpers and skirts and spoilers like? Is there a wide variation or do most of the cars only have the stock and the Forza options?

Also that Focus video has some pretty sweet driving going on there.

Jube3

eso76 said:

When they mean damage i bet they're more focused on the engine/axis,transmission stuff where gamers focus on the visual side of it.

EDIT: Im capping some videos right now, anyone have anything specific they want to see?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Something interesting I found in the stats:
Enzo Ferrari - R3 - 8.4 - 6.5 - 8.2 - 7.7 - 6.5
McLaren F1GT - R3 - 8.6 - 6.5 - 8.2 - 7.4 - 6.5

Some close stats going on there, should be a good shootout, though I didn't know the Enzo was that quick. FXX versus the CCGT should also be an interesting matchup.

EDIT: Some custom liveries in action would be sweet. I'd love to see an Enzo/FXX/430 Scuderia.

eso76

I believe it was never answered before; can you setup races with AI driving cars from your garage ? i really miss that feature from forza 1.

me i'd like to see some (all?) manufacturers' decals (i was under the impression they'd use vectors for those this time around, but i don't think they did) and one Suzuka or Tsukuba lap replay on a black citroen c4 :D

phil_t

Banned
Jube3 said:
When they mean damage i bet they're more focused on the engine/axis,transmission stuff where gamers focus on the visual side of it.

That's how I read it..

It's so refreshing to see people playing and assessing it as an actual game.. Whatever next ;)

Top Bottom