• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 |OT|

Len Dontree

Animator. Respect knuckles.
Nice thread. I can't wait to build up another nice little stable of personalized cars. And to race them.

I never did do a full 8 person online race in Forza 2, I always just played with a couple of my old friends in our weekly mini-challenges, which was more than fun enough. But this time around I believe I'll be playing with and against more of the world at large. Have at ye!

Jube3

Len Dontree said:
Nice thread. I can't wait to build up another nice little stable of personalized cars. And to race them.

I never did do a full 8 person online race in Forza 2, I always just played with a couple of my old friends in our weekly mini-challenges, which was more than fun enough. But this time around I believe I'll be playing with and against more of the world at large. Have at ye!

One thing that i LOVE that they did was in grid mod in your garage you can now create groups to put your cars in. Theres some tweaks for it that I would love to see in 4, but its a great addition to sorting a garage. Basically instead of it being E,F,D,C,B,A,R4 etc. Before the E your group would appear. So theres still a lot of scrolling in huge garages, but sorting your cars especially differentiating in which are tuned, drifting cars, livery designs, gifts etc.

[Nintex]

The definitive OP, very nice and clean.

This game can't come soon enough, finally something that'll keep me busy for a while.

Len Dontree

Animator. Respect knuckles.
Jube3 said:
One thing that i LOVE that they did was in grid mod in your garage you can now create groups to put your cars in. Theres some tweaks for it that I would love to see in 4, but its a great addition to sorting a garage. Basically instead of it being E,F,D,C,B,A,R4 etc. Before the E your group would appear. So theres still a lot of scrolling in huge garages, but sorting your cars especially differentiating in which are tuned, drifting cars, livery designs, gifts etc.

Ah nice, that sounds very cool. Awesome liveries too by the way! I haven't really seen or watched anything re: the improvements to the livery editor, so I'm looking forward to digging into all that as well.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Well, I am spent.

I just spent...an hour using the "hotlap" mode on the demo, and I cannot get a lap together, so frustrating as I know I can do better.

If I actually string the lap together properly, I could hit around 1:03.2/3 using the GT3, but I cannot seem to do that for the life of me and only managed 1:03.90 in the end.

One things for sure, if a 1 track demo can keep me plugging away for hours, the full game isn't going to let me go for a long time.

p3tran

Banned
Stop It said:
Well, I am spent.

I just spent...an hour using the "hotlap" mode on the demo, and I cannot get a lap together, so frustrating as I know I can do better.

If I actually string the lap together properly, I could hit around 1:03.2/3 using the GT3, but I cannot seem to do that for the life of me and only managed 1:03.90 in the end.

One things for sure, if a 1 track demo can keep me plugging away for hours, the full game isn't going to let me go for a long time.

keep trying. you aint fast until you fall below the minute in the gt3. :)
try downloading a ghost of the top players to see where you can improve further.

Jube3

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/g.../achievements/

all the achievements are like "reach level __ ", but its still better than forza2s list.

Turn10 you SUCK at achievements, make good ones for the dlc

I actually LOVE the achievements in forza 3 for this one reason. Theres some hard ones, but theres a great deal that come through just playing the game. In forza 2 I only had like 300 gamer points lol. Here though You get smacked in the face with "rewards" and all through a natural progression. Like getting level 15, getting an achievement and at the same time getting a car for that level is pretty cool :D

BenjaminBirdie said:
Is there an actual physical garage this time around?

No unfortunately not, but there is a mode where you can showcase the car like in the demo when you pick a car, and you can also click on the car and take a picture of it on the white bg. But a physical garage, in like the hangar would be sooo epic man.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
p3tran said:
keep trying. you aint fast until you fall below the minute in the gt3. :)
try downloading a ghost of the top players to see where you can improve further.
I'll do that tomorrow morning (It is 12:45am here in the UK after all and my concentration is failing). One thing I will say, I don't think I can get anyway near 1 minute at my skill level at the moment, I'll be very happy if I got near 1:02!

In all honesty I would probably class myself as a member of the top 20% of racing gamers out there, but when it comes to the top 5 or so percent, people start becoming superhuman, Forza is no exception.

voodoo

Neo Member
Stop It said:
Well, I am spent.

Glad that worked out for you!
Now imagine doing that in 10 classes on 100 tracks, getting an overall time on the boards is going to be soooo hard.

Cant0na

Banned
Domino Theory said:
Scroll down.

........complete year 1,2,3,4,5,6

mw7go3.png

Oli

APZonerunner said:
I feel bad churning out cheap remakes of 8 and 16 bit sprites looking at some of the stunning car liveries.

Gotta start somewhere. I know that's where I'll start. I still can't understand how people are churning out the stuff they are. So insane. And by insane I mean amazing.

sneaky77

Stop It said:
I'll do that tomorrow morning (It is 12:45am here in the UK after all and my concentration is failing). One thing I will say, I don't think I can get anyway near 1 minute at my skill level at the moment, I'll be very happy if I got near 1:02!

In all honesty I would probably class myself as a member of the top 20% of racing gamers out there, but when it comes to the top 5 or so percent, people start becoming superhuman, Forza is no exception.

yeah the top ghost is like 57 seconds, I was like fuck..lol my best clean time is 1:05 but I got down to 1:03 but I went over the out of bounds line I guess.. so it didnt count.

kaskade

I've been playing the demo quite a bit and got used to the driving style of the game and I LOVE it, it feels so good. Looks like this will be my racer for the year. Also, great job OP.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Great OP, can't wait to get the online races going with the gaf crew.

Anyone going to be interested in a weekly endurance race? we did this in FM2 and it was a lot of fun.

Also, is there going to be a separate online thread, or is it going to be worked into the OP?

Jube3

purg3 said:
Great OP, can't wait to get the online races going with the gaf crew.

Anyone going to be interested in a weekly endurance race? we did this in FM2 and it was a lot of fun.

Also, is there going to be a separate online thread, or is it going to be worked into the OP?

Yea those were epic, I remember me and garnett smashing into each other with like 5 laps left on mugello. Heartbreaking lol

Ill make an online tag thread the day the UK releases.

m0dus said:
I dig the sprite stuff, personally.

It's quick and easy and right now I'm using it as practice. I've done a couple of Sonics, a Mega Man, and a Sega logo from the Mega Drive era all today. Eventually, I'll step up to some harder stuff.. Your shit is just insane, though.

Forza3-CRX.png

My first car. A used '91 CR-X Si. Loved it. I'm gonna race the hatch off this thing
rock.gif

Hopefully it comes with a crappy cassette player modeled in loving detail.

LCfiner

this game is gonna eat up most of my November gaming time. really looking forward to it. I wish I had the skill to work with the livery editor but I think I’ll just end up buying vinyl patterns and making designs based on existing work from others.

I really liked the demo (the F2 demo felt blah to me) so I’m sold. day one.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
wonderkins said:
Forza3-CRX.png

My first car. A used '91 CR-X Si. Loved it. I'm gonna race the hatch off this thing
rock.gif

Is there a list anywhere of cars and prices of cars you can buy a the beginning of the game? I hope they're not all brand new Cobalt SSs and stuff, but more along the lines of that CRX.

Jube3

enzo_gt said:
Is there a list anywhere of cars and prices of cars you can buy a the beginning of the game? I hope they're not all brand new Cobalt SSs and stuff, but more along the lines of that CRX.

You start off with 0 credits and a choice of 1 of 5 cars. One of them being the Toyota Yaris lol. All cars are available for purchase if you have the credits.

h3ro

Jube3 said:
You start off with 0 credits and a choice of 1 of 5 cars. One of them being the Toyota Yaris lol. All cars are available for purchase if you have the credits.

What did you start off with?

I'm thinking of going with the Fiesta.

Doodis

wonderkins said:
Forza3-CRX.png

rock.gif

My wife used to drive this exact car, same color and everything, but we had to sell it when we had our first kid.

Looking forward to driving it again, if only virtually.

Jube3

h3ro said:
What did you start off with?

I'm thinking of going with the Fiesta.

I went with the yaris, its wierd it has the guages in the dead center of the dashboard. Such a wierd setup.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Jube3 said:
I went with the yaris, its wierd it has the guages in the dead center of the dashboard. Such a wierd setup.

So there's a Fiesta, Yaris, CR-X and what other 2? I'd take the CRX out of the bunch, if i didn't see the stats ofcourse.

gillty

Banned
Jube3 said:
Chevrolet Aveo
Scion xD
Toyota Yaris S
Ford Fiesta Zetec S
Nissan Versa
Honda Fit/Jazz
Citroen C4 i

Jube3

enzo_gt said:
So there's a Fiesta, Yaris, CR-X and what other 2? I'd take the CRX out of the bunch, if i didn't see the stats ofcourse.

What Val-ru posted. If there was a CRX no one would pick the other cars haha.

I bought a CRX and it cost a GRIP to get it up to spec. To go from its F level to top E it cost me like 110,000. The car cost 4,000 lol. I love it though, would love to try an S class CRX haha but it probably wont be drivable.

Doodis said:
My wife used to drive this exact car, same color and everything, but we had to sell it when we had our first kid.

Looking forward to driving it again, if only virtually.
hi5.gif

Mine was totaled when it was rear-ended on I5. I was the second owner; it was unmolested. I'll admit, I shed a few tears. I loved that car. Now I'm waiting for Honda to release the CR-Z. Maybe, just maybe I can relive the glory of that car.

Yoritomo

bran said:
Wait so this game doesn't have the new R35 GT-R?

nope, might be in DLC though.

Guesses as to the lack of inclusion range from some sort of licensing with polyphony, weird restrictions on modifying the vehicle.

My personal guess is due to the power to weight ratio the car was going to have a lackluster PI... primarily compared to the 911 Turbo, and nissan had a restriction on including the vehicle unless it met a PI minimum or compared to other particular vehicles favorably.

All pure guesses. It's either that or it had separate license fees from the rest of nissan and they were too expensive to include in the game, but might work as DLC. It could be a ton of different things.

Believe me they tried, and they'll get it in if they can. It was probably the most talked about car in the world in 2008.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
bran said:
Wait so this game doesn't have the new R35 GT-R?

:'(

Huge disappointment. I bet they kept it out just to include it in the first DLC pack with the 458. No excuse as to why it isn't in there. Clearly the most requested car as well; I came across this on Forzacentral as well. List also made me look and say WTF @ the lack of Zonda F and CCX, despite the C12 and CCGT being in.

Senua

yea no zonda f kinda sucks but they could of at least put the C12 S in..but no we have the crappy C12!

navii said:
op, where do i get one of these?

29c1i6p.png
this works much better with forza 3(demo atleast) so anyone that didn't like in with forza 2(me, I found the controller better), give it another shot with the new forza, I don't know what they did but it feels much better.

Sh0k

navii said:
op, where do i get one of these?

29c1i6p.png

I bought one today at Best Buy for $100. but is going back tomorrow. The quality of the wheel is excellent and the force feedback is really good. But I can not justify to expend $100. only for one game, i tried it with Dirt 2 and my car was all over the place, I couldn't control my car at all. The steering wheel with the Forza 3 demo was nice, after 2 or 3 laps of getting used to the wheel, everything was so natural.

bran

Yoritomo said:
nope, might be in DLC though.

Guesses as to the lack of inclusion range from some sort of licensing with polyphony, weird restrictions on modifying the vehicle.

My personal guess is due to the power to weight ratio the car was going to have a lackluster PI... primarily compared to the 911 Turbo, and nissan had a restriction on including the vehicle unless it met a PI minimum or compared to other particular vehicles favorably.

All pure guesses. It's either that or it had separate license fees from the rest of nissan and they were too expensive to include in the game, but might work as DLC. It could be a ton of different things.

Believe me they tried, and they'll get it in if they can. It was probably the most talked about car in the world in 2008.

But it went around the Top Gear track faster than a Carrera GT and the Ring faster than a 911 Turbo.

Yoritomo

bran said:
But it went around the Top Gear track faster than a Carrera GT and the Ring faster than a 911 Turbo.

All due to launch control in the case of the top gear test track at least, computer controlled diffs, active suspension, and a transmission that basically shifts instantly.

It's not due to raw power, or power to weight ratio at all. Put the car in a video game that isn't modeling computer controlled diffs, launch control, active suspension, and doesn't have the vehicle shift instantly and you have a pig of a car compared to both the above examples.

Check its trap speed in the quarter mile. The cars a technical marvel but for the things that would define PI in forza it could probably be a slug.

Top Bottom