• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 |OT|

Hey peoples,

Just got a nice deal on the 360 branded wheel for $50 bucks locally. I know it's no Fanatec wheel, but it's serviceable, right? I'm not hardcore into racing games anyway but I figured I'd be selling the game short if I didn't use a wheel at all. What do those of you that have it think about it?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I love the 360 wheel. Hardcore fanatics will whine about issues that it doesn't do 9000 degree rotation or have a proper stick shift, etc... It's a really well built piece of tech regardless. Force Feedback is awesome, and it feels nice. Just make sure you have a desk or table or base to prop it with. Not very comfortable if it balances on your lap.

But go for it! I refused to play Forza 2 with anything but the wheel once I laid my hands on it. It will take time to acclimate, but you'll be having a ball the entire learning process. PGR also works great and NFS Carbon is a riot with it(since it's the one racer that handles really well doing the arcade-y 'full accelerate all the time' feel).

KHarvey16

The XJ220 top speed seems to be the same as FM2(at least down the back straight at Le Mans), going by your description. However at such high speeds there are so many variables to consider such as temperature, elevation, engine wear, etc. An even imperceptible difference could account for large deviations from that number. Also, the 217 MPH top speed was achieved with no catalytic converter and a modified rev limiter. I'd be surprised if steps weren't also taken to patch up holes and vents and whatnot to reduce the drag coefficient.

Speedo/manufacturer top speed claims vs objectively measured via GPS top speed. Lets keep that in mind also. Also as harvey points out, tweaks done to streamline the car.

ShapeGSX

KHarvey16 said:
The XJ220 top speed seems to be the same as FM2(at least down the back straight at Le Mans), going by your description. However at such high speeds there are so many variables to consider such as temperature, elevation, engine wear, etc. An even imperceptible difference could account for large deviations from that number. Also, the 217 MPH top speed was achieved with no catalytic converter and a modified rev limiter.

Yeah, I just posted this on Forza Central:
Anyone who drag races knows that a vehicle's performance can vary widely depending on the track, the temperature, the wind, etc... And that is just when I might reach a speed of 119mph on a good day. A bad day might net me 116mph in the 1/4 on an identical tune.

Expecting a car in a game to match what a car did on one particular day in certain conditions is unrealistic. There are just too many variables in real life. Air temperature and density is a huge factor. For instance, high air density is great for power, but worse for air resistance.

When different cars are benchmarked for top speed at different tracks on different days, you can't really say that one has a higher top speed than the other.

KHarvey16 said:
The XJ220 top speed seems to be the same as FM2(at least down the back straight at Le Mans), going by your description. However at such high speeds there are so many variables to consider such as temperature, elevation, engine wear, etc. An even imperceptible difference could account for large deviations from that number. Also, the 217 MPH top speed was achieved with no catalytic converter and a modified rev limiter. I'd be surprised if steps weren't also taken to patch up holes and vents and whatnot to reduce the drag coefficient.

I'm pretty sure they removed the side mirrors as well to hit 217 mph. From what I recall, unmodified XJ220s were good for around ~210 mph.

Now the Enzo was a car that was significantly slower in FM2 than it should have been. It topped out at 202 mph stock, and no amount of gear ratio tweaking could get it much past that (believe me, I tried!). It's been independently tested at 220 mph, and I'll bet it gets much closer to that mark in FM3.

In general, though, FM3's aerodynamics simulation is much better at producing realistic top speeds. We've seen it with the LMP1 cars, and now with the F1 GT, thanks to Psychotext.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Brandon F said:
EXCITE!

Just got my confirmation that the Wheelstandpro I ordered for my MS Wheel is shipping this week! I'll be ready for the definitive driving experience!

damnit, anyone have an update on the fanatec rennsport wheel stand? i hope it arrives before forza 3 :(

Game is a definite cop for me...but dang it, the sheer amount of online options available is tempting me to return to XBox Live...most likely I'll just wait until there's a gold membership deal (like a 12 months/$30 card or something) to jump on in again.

Forza 3 may bankrupt my gaming budget.

Before the demo, I decided I would likely wait a month or so and buy it used.

After the demo, I decided I would likely buy the game new.

Now, I find myself checking out prices for the MS Wheel online.

I think I'm a week away from considering building my own racing rig!

Brakara

Brandon F said:
EXCITE!

Just got my confirmation that the Wheelstandpro I ordered for my MS Wheel is shipping this week! I'll be ready for the definitive driving experience!

I got this on Friday, and although it's somewhat expensive, it's well worth it. And especially if you're used to having the wheel on your lap. The pedals no longer sliding away from you is also welcome.

The only downside is that it's a little bit wiggly, but I guess that's the price for being so adjustable.

Brandon F

Brakara said:
I got this on Friday, and although it's somewhat expensive, it's well worth it. And especially if you're used to having the wheel on your lap. The pedals no longer sliding away from you is also welcome.

The only downside is that it's a little bit wiggly, but I guess that's the price for being so adjustable.

The pedals were always my biggest issue. I had so many homegrown ways of trying to keep them stable, but none ever worked quite right. Since I sold off my old desk, I have been forced to drive with the thing on my lap, since my coffee table is too low to support clipping it.

I have PGR4 barely touched since it launched because of this, game is somewhat soulless without playing with a wheel, and I can't get comfortable with lap play. Really looking forward to breaking out my wheel from storage now and experiencing PGR4 and F3 for real!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
op_ivy said:
damnit, anyone have an update on the fanatec rennsport wheel stand? i hope it arrives before forza 3 :(
I received mine over a month ago, but that's because I had ordered it back in August.

KHarvey16

Square Triangle said:
Not sure if this has been mentioned but G4/ X-Play gave it a 5 out of 5.

They did also give NFS: Shift a 5/5 though too, I hate their scaling system.

Great score, but his thoughts on the AI almost make it seem like he played a different game. His cons at the top includes "AI Still Races Perfect Line." This is in pretty stark contradiction to every other review I've read in addition to my own experience.

Brandon F said:
The pedals were always my biggest issue. I had so many homegrown ways of trying to keep them stable, but none ever worked quite right. Since I sold off my old desk, I have been forced to drive with the thing on my lap, since my coffee table is too low to support clipping it.

I have PGR4 barely touched since it launched because of this, game is somewhat soulless without playing with a wheel, and I can't get comfortable with lap play. Really looking forward to breaking out my wheel from storage now and experiencing PGR4 and F3 for real!
Same here on the pedals. Wheel is fine on my coffee table though. Man, I really need a pedal solution because no way can I spend $160 on a Wheelstand. I feel like just some little workout weights would work.

Gowans

I'm sureprised someone hasn't made a wheel thread like the arcade stick one.

Wouldn't mind getting my wheel set ip perfect for the release.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
BenjaminBirdie said:
Same here on the pedals. Wheel is fine on my coffee table though. Man, I really need a pedal solution because no way can I spend $160 on a Wheelstand. I feel like just some little workout weights would work.

the way i looked at it was the fact that once i bit the bullet and got a stand (i opted for the fanatec one) i would actually use my wheel much more often. i have had the ms wheel since it launched but only very rarely used it for any of my racing games (forza 2 and pgr 3 = rarely, pgr4 and dirt = never!). the reason? it was just a huge pain in the ass to pull out, set up, and use, then put it all away again when i was done. if i planned to play for several hours on live or through single player, MAYBE i'd put up with that, but usually i'd jump in each game for a quick session instead (less then one hour) and use a pad. now, i can set it up on the stand and quickly and easily set it up and put it away when done, and use it nearly every time i fire up a racer. well worth the $$$ IMO.

op_ivy said:
the way i looked at it was the fact that once i bit the bullet and got a stand (i opted for the fanatec one) i would actually use my wheel much more often. i have had the ms wheel since it launched but only very rarely used it for any of my racing games (forza 2 and pgr 3 = rarely, pgr4 and dirt = never!). the reason? it was just a huge pain in the ass to pull out, set up, and use, then put it all away again when i was done. if i planned to play for several hours on live or through single player, MAYBE i'd put up with that, but usually i'd jump in each game for a quick session instead (less then one hour) and use a pad. now, i can set it up on the stand and quickly and easily set it up and put it away when done, and use it nearly every time i fire up a racer. well worth the $$$ IMO.

Good points all, and I do love racing games of all stripes. I just...especially the next few months...that's like three and a half games...

antiquegamer said:
Why would you want to do that....?

Something told me I would have to answer this before actually getting my answer. I don't like steering with the analog stick and I have never enjoyed accelerating with the Right trigger. So now that that's out of the way can I steer with the d pad or what. Those options were available in Forza 2.

Brandon F

op_ivy said:

My justification is the same. I got so frustrated playing PGR4 when I first bought it due to the craziness of trying to balance the wheel on my lap and keep the pedals stable that I gave up and stored both the game and wheel in the closet never to be pulled out again until I get a piece of furniture to lock it too.

I am so looking forward to just pulling out the stand for my racing needs without the fuss.

Edit: and YES, there should be a wheel thread. Would love to hear how people are setting options for Forza 3 and just to see some people's wheel setups in general. Plus, it would be nice to hear about some PS3 wheel thoughts for GT5, since there is more options for that console.

KHarvey16

IcebergSlim3000 said:
Something told me I would have to answer this before actually getting my answer. I don't like steering with the analog stick and I have never enjoyed accelerating with the Right trigger. So now that that's out of the way can I steer with the d pad or what. Those options were available in Forza 2.

To be honest with you you'll be forced to use assists in order to drive most cars without the analog controls, which will result in much slower times.

But yes, you can select that control scheme.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Brandon F said:
My justification is the same. I got so frustrated playing PGR4 when I first bought it due to the craziness of trying to balance the wheel on my lap and keep the pedals stable that I gave up and stored both the game and wheel in the closet never to be pulled out again until I get a piece of furniture to lock it too.

I am so looking forward to just pulling out the stand for my racing needs without the fuss.

Edit: and YES, there should be a wheel thread. Would love to hear how people are setting options for Forza 3 and just to see some people's wheel setups in general. Plus, it would be nice to hear about some PS3 wheel thoughts for GT5, since there is more options for that console.
I would be most interested in Fanatec wheel settings for various cars, I don't want to spend too much time on my own tweaking just to find the right ABS settings for vibration in both the wheel and the pedals.

Senua

Spaceman Spiff said:
I'm pretty sure they removed the side mirrors as well to hit 217 mph. From what I recall, unmodified XJ220s were good for around ~210 mph.

Now the Enzo was a car that was significantly slower in FM2 than it should have been. It topped out at 202 mph stock, and no amount of gear ratio tweaking could get it much past that (believe me, I tried!). It's been independently tested at 220 mph, and I'll bet it gets much closer to that mark in FM3.

In general, though, FM3's aerodynamics simulation is much better at producing realistic top speeds. We've seen it with the LMP1 cars, and now with the F1 GT, thanks to Psychotext.
yea i looked it up and apparently the stock road version did 212mph only, still..not sure why it only goes 201mph on forza 2! and yea the enzo always seemed very slow at the top end to what i thought it should be, i used to race the f40 against my friend in the enzo and even up to 180mph i was right with him..strange!

eso76

i just got a receipt in my mail telling me there's something for me waiting to picked up at the post office. I was kind of hoping it would be fanatec related, but do them send pedals/gearshifts before the wheel itself ? i don't think they even started shipment for the first batch, yet.

Oh.

Speed ticket, maybe.

: /

will see tomorrow i guess.

Muerte_X

Fender_Uk said:
yea i looked it up and apparently the stock road version did 212mph only, still..not sure why it only goes 201mph on forza 2! and yea the enzo always seemed very slow at the top end to what i thought it should be, i used to race the f40 against my friend in the enzo and even up to 180mph i was right with him..strange!

They probably just had some incorrect info. Does the car in reality make more hp than is advertised? What's the advertised top speed IRL? Does it compare to what the car actually did for top speed?

Take for example, the 2002 Camaro, all the 4th gen camaros (and trans ams) were highly underrated from the factory upwards of 45hp depending on the model. Forza used factory specs (i'm sure any racing game does also) which would seem correct, except to anyone that actually owns one. So the car has about ~30hp missing, which would make it slower than real life, including the top speed. I can think of a couple other cars that this would effect the same way, maybe it's something similar?

KHarvey16

Hit 216 in the Enzo, about a mile an hour faster in the CC8S and topped out at 247 in the Veyron. All were on the back straight at Le Mans and it's probably possible to squeeze a little more out of each if you really wanted to.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
op_ivy said:
This is the very reason why I want a Wheelstandpro, as well.

Fender_Uk said:

Yeah, it wasn't at all realistic how the Enzo slowed so significantly at high speed. After 170 mph or so it really started to struggle. Even a stock C6 Z06 could waste it-- in FM2 it could do 210 mph!

In reality the Enzo's acceleration, like that of any car, does level off, due the increasing air resistance at high speed, but the active aerodynamics system it uses allows for a high top speed while still providing considerable downforce. There was a high-speed test at Nardo some years back and above 186 mph, the Enzo was still pulling strongly. I remember it beating the Carrera GT (another car that can outrun it in FM2...) to that mark by around 8 seconds, which is significant.

KHarvey16 said:
Hit 216 in the Enzo, about a mile an hour faster in the CC8S and topped out at 247 in the Veyron. All were on the back straight at Le Mans and it's probably possible to squeeze a little more out of each if you really wanted to.

Those all sound very reasonable, thanks. The Veyron needed the ~5 mi straight at Ehra-Lessein to hit the limiter, so I'm not surprised it can't quite do so on the ~3 mi Mulsanne straight.

Senua

KHarvey16 said:
216? awesome, just by this i know forza 3 is going to rule my face, does FM3 still have the benchmark? if so could you tell me the benchmark top speed of the enzo? thanks

Fender_Uk said:
216? awesome, just by this i know forza 3 is going to rule my face, does FM3 still have the benchmark? if so could you tell me the benchmark top speed of the enzo? thanks

Nah, let it go.

The factory quoted 217+ mph, and AMS tested it at 220 mph; it's close enough. As an Enzo fanatic, I'm so pleased that they got it right, but I'd hate for those fortunate enough to have gotten green discs to waste their time satisfying us numbers geeks. :D

KHarvey16

There is a benchmark feature, but unless I'm missing it there's no way to look at it unless you own the car in career mode :(.

Jube3

Spaceman Spiff said:
Nah, let it go.

The factory quoted 217+ mph, and AMS tested it at 220 mph; it's close enough. As an Enzo fanatic, I'm so pleased that they got it right, but I'd hate for those fortunate enough to have gotten green discs to waste their time satisfying us numbers geeks. :D

Its not the time, its the money, I have 23,000 dollars right now and that enzo is like a million right? lol

Brandon F

The one crazy thing about this series is that if you take a POS car and pump enough cash into it to get it to say...'S' rank. Is it actually competitive? I was always confused with Forza 2 doing this. Felt like I am just wasting time upgrading and instead should only ever bother keeping upgrades within the same class. So if I have a B class car, never upgrade it beyond that class, because it'll just suck ass against REAL A and above class cars. As if the whole letter grade system is out of whack.

Maybe this isn't the actual case, as I eventually stopped bothering and just focused on buying cars rather than upgrading in F2 to really get a feel. Just wondering how the experts feel in regards to multi-class upgrades.

I personally would love to take a starter car, or something ridiculous like a Mini, and juice it up to compete in tours against say...Ferrari's. It's the sort of meta-fun I find in Forza(a full grid of supercars is boring to me), but is it balanced to do so?

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Brandon F said:
The one crazy thing about this series is that if you take a POS car and pump enough cash into it to get it to say...'S' rank. Is it actually competitive? I was always confused with Forza 2 doing this. Felt like I am just wasting time upgrading and instead should only ever bother keeping upgrades within the same class. So if I have a B class car, never upgrade it beyond that class, because it'll just suck ass against REAL A and above class cars. As if the whole letter grade system is out of whack.

Maybe this isn't the actual case, as I eventually stopped bothering and just focused on buying cars rather than upgrading in F2 to really get a feel. Just wondering how the experts feel in regards to multi-class upgrades.

I personally would love to take a starter car, or something ridiculous like a Mini, and juice it up to compete in tours against say...Ferrari's. It's the sort of meta-fun I find in Forza(a full grid of supercars is boring to me), but is it balanced to do so?

There are some really great upgrade platform vehicles, I'm sure you can do it enough to compete with a stock Ferrari but the thing is the upgraded Ferraris will obviously eat the mini alive lol.

So that mini would last you up to a certain point I guess. The career mode is so HUGE that I'm sure it'll last a while if that's what you want to do.

rjcc

Brandon F said:

depends on the track, but not really. your mini, even at s class, can't turn or grip like a ferrari

Muerte_X

Brandon F said:

It's hard to do that sort of thing correctly. If you take a car with 150hp, and end up with it having 700hp, it obviously can't be in the same class as it was before, so it goes up with the higher hp cars. But, the car wasn't designed with that much hp in mind. So you need to also get new suspension, definitely better tires, and whatever other handling upgrades you can throw at it. Even then, it maybe be possible that a car designed from the ground up with that much power or even less will still beat it around the track.

There's a point at which upgrading a car further can have a detrimental effect. If you can only fit a certain size tire on there, and it can't hold the power you're putting down at full throttle, it's not worth giving it more hp, since it'll probably end up being slower. The same thing is true in real life, sure you could probably make a mini have the same power, and do a lot of suspension work to help it, but I'm not sure you could really make one competitive against a supercar. I think that's the point they try to show you by raising the class, then when you race against other cars in that class it's so hard.

Sure, in real life, with enough money, you can turn anything into a badass track car, but a game simply can't account for everything.

In forza 2, I have taken D class cars, and make them into very good B class cars, sometimes even an A in one case, but it's not easy. I think one or two classes up isn't a big deal, but if you try to put a lower class car into the S or R class, It probably won't do very well. IIRC, there were certain cars that were better than this than others, I remember seeing time trial contests online where they'd restrict you from using certain cars because they had too much of an advantage.

Of course, I have no idea how Forza 3 handles this, but I'd assume it'd be similar.

Jube3

My S class baby, gt500 getting ready to drag :D
Photo_9452.jpg

Some shots of the alan wake car. Ill probably go back and tweak the front hood to make the logo blend a bit better.
Photo_94523.jpg

Brandon F

Muerte_X said:
It's hard to do that sort of thing correctly. If you take a car with 150hp, and end up with it having 700hp, it obviously can't be in the same class as it was before, so it goes up with the higher hp cars. But, the car wasn't designed with that much hp in mind. So you need to also get new suspension, definitely better tires, and whatever other handling upgrades you can throw at it. Even then, it maybe be possible that a car designed from the ground up with that much power or even less will still beat it around the track.

There's a point at which upgrading a car further can have a detrimental effect. If you can only fit a certain size tire on there, and it can't hold the power you're putting down at full throttle, it's not worth giving it more hp, since it'll probably end up being slower. The same thing is true in real life, sure you could probably make a mini have the same power, and do a lot of suspension work to help it, but I'm not sure you could really make one competitive against a supercar. I think that's the point they try to show you by raising the class, then when you race against other cars in that class it's so hard.

Sure, in real life, with enough money, you can turn anything into a badass track car, but a game simply can't account for everything.

In forza 2, I have taken D class cars, and make them into very good B class cars, sometimes even an A in one case, but it's not easy. I think one or two classes up isn't a big deal, but if you try to put a lower class car into the S or R class, It probably won't do very well. IIRC, there were certain cars that were better than this than others, I remember seeing time trial contests online where they'd restrict you from using certain cars because they had too much of an advantage.

Of course, I have no idea how Forza 3 handles this, but I'd assume it'd be similar.

Yea, I assume this is the case, it's just so strange how Forza always advertises it's upgrades without a warning. I always think, ok I can drop a few hundred thousand into this mini and the game auto-upgrades to an S-class. But in reality it gets toasted off the line against real S's.

So the idea is to usually upgrade within class parameters? Take a B and make it a B+?

rjcc

Brandon F said:
Yea, I assume this is the case, it's just so strange how Forza always advertises it's upgrades without a warning. I always think, ok I can drop a few hundred thousand into this mini and the game auto-upgrades to an S-class. But in reality it gets toasted off the line against real S's.

So the idea is to usually upgrade within class parameters? Take a B and make it a B+?

I think the idea is to actually drive it and decide which car you prefer for yourself.

Jube3

Brandon F said:

You can go up a class, what I think hes saying is the jump in lots of classes (like C to high A). I took a civic hatchback to S class in 2 and it was really fast but i couldnt turn it to save my life lol.

One thing to consider is the upgrade costs this time. Taking a car from an F to S class is gonna cost HUGE bank.

Doodis

Brandon F said:

Wow, it doesn't tell you what class you're upgrading to? As a complete tuner novice, that's upsetting. How am I supposed to know at what point I'm "wasting" my money?

KHarvey16

Doodis said:
Wow, it doesn't tell you what class you're upgrading to? As a complete tuner novice, that's upsetting. How am I supposed to know at what point I'm "wasting" my money?

No, it certainly does. That wasn't what he was saying though. If I remember correctly though, balance has always been something they emphasize when speaking of tuning and upgrading, and a cheap car with a huge motor and a roll cage is about as unbalanced as I could imagine :).

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Jube3 said:
My S class baby, gt500 getting ready to drag :D

Some shots of the alan wake car. Ill probably go back and tweak the front hood to make the logo blend a bit better.
Photo_94523.jpg
Holy crap, do want.

In other news, my quest for a decent time on the demo using the GT3 continues. Latest update, 1:00.8xx, into the top 7500!

Brandon F

Doodis said:

Nah, I just meant a warning saying "Hey this car is a D car you turned into an S stupid! Throwing money at it isn't going to help you beat these Lambo's!" ....But it may cream other D-class Mini's!

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
EazyB said:
Finally went ahead and 100% the FM2 career.
Wow, congrats.

Think I'm up to about level 38, still have quite a few events go, but the tedium is beginning to set in.

I can only go around dreary old Silverstone so many times before I want to commit suicide. :lol

Brandon F said:
Nah, I just meant a warning saying "Hey this car is a D car you turned into an S stupid! Throwing money at it isn't going to help you beat these Lambo's!" ....But it may cream other D-class Mini's!
Pretty sure the whole point of tuning and upgrades is to try stuff out... I see what you're saying, but disagree.

I took a Focus up to A Class in FM2, drives like a dream, took it a step further up to an S, shit was completely unusable. Brakes were nowhere near good enough, and skidded all over the shop. Took her back to an A class and she's a beaut.

Pepto

Banned
Brandon F said:
Felt like I am just wasting time upgrading and instead should only ever bother keeping upgrades within the same class. So if I have a B class car, never upgrade it beyond that class, because it'll just suck ass against REAL A and above class cars. As if the whole letter grade system is out of whack.

The best car in Forza 2 was the Renault 5 Turbo and it was a c class car. Just about every grip track was dominated by it in c, b, a and s classes.

Also there were some supercars like the f430 that were useless even when upgraded and properly tuned.

Top Bottom