• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 4 - The Floodgates Have Opened...

derFeef

VVV Mars VG said:
Yeah the embargo is Oct 6th so you'll see it all come out then, Turn 10 don't have much to worry about on review scores. The game is huge and though it gives time to produce a pretty extensive selection of videos, they will touch merely a fraction of what this game has to offer.

So lots of TeamVVV vids on the way, with pad, CSR wheel and wireless wheel, Kinect, headtracking, online, team details, besides a 26 minute interview with Dan G where he goes in-depth with me about physics and the huge leaps forward since FM3.

I'll finish by saying the Top Gear homespace is bloody impressive and I spend as much time marvelling at cars as I do driving them.

Are you the TeamVVV youtube guy? I love your videos. So excellently explained with honest opinions and actual driving skills. Can't wait for for the Forza 4 coverage.

amar212

VVV Mars VG said:
Yeah the embargo is Oct 6th ...

Mars, please do me a favor if you have new Fanatec CSR on disposal.

There is one crucial setup in the wheel options that makes a sky-high difference on driving sensation. Apparently, all Fanatec wheels have built in a certain amount of dampening, executed through "Drift" setting.

"Drift" is set-up to "OFF" by default, but in fact, setting it to "005" (max setting) completely removes the dampening effect and allows for a full precise steering. It made a day/night difference for me on both GT5 and Forza 3 (Fanatec GT2 here).

Can you please just investigate how that setting "Drift>005" influences driving model, especially feel of force feedback and speed of steering?

Thanx in advance, regards.

VVV Mars VG

amar212 said:

There is one crucial setup in the wheel options that makes a sky-high difference on driving sensation. Apparently, all Fanatec wheels have built in a certain amount of dampening, executed through "Drift" setting.

"Drift" is set-up to "OFF" by default, but in fact, setting it to "005" (max setting) completely removes the dampening effect and allows for a full precise steering. It made a day/night difference for me on both GT5 and Forza 3 (Fanatec GT2 here).

Can you please just investigate how that setting "Drift>005" influences driving model, especially feel of force feedback and speed of steering?

Sure the settings are completely different for each game, hence since changing wheels I've not had time to tune the wheel for F1. FM4 again entirely different, I'll test those settings, along with a bunch I have from other FM3 players and sim racers, will video the results and have a chat about it.

ShapeGSX

op_ivy said:
6191613339_0ee43b8dfb_b.jpg

this makes me so god damned happy. it will really extend the game. hope we can time attack these!

SLALOM? AWESOME! Is that Autocross mode?

That guy is totally attacking that cone wrong. Get behind the cone!

mclaren777

I'm having a hard time getting excited for Photo Mode simply because you have to upload/download the pictures from the website. :(

I wish Microsoft would just let us save them to the HDD or a flash drive.

Snubbers

mclaren777 said:
I'm having a hard time getting excited for Photo Mode simply because you have to upload/download the pictures from the website. :(

I'm not that bothered, the only time it was a pain was when you did photo-stitching when you where trying to do a manual 'bigshot'.. other then that, you can upload loads of 720p images and download them very quickly most of the time..

Cloud computing is the future, don't ya know ;)

Arkaerial

Unconfirmed Member
Question about Forza 4, has Microsoft allowed the use of the G25/G27 wheel? That was the only reason I never could get into Forza was the controller or their wheel only.

D6AMIA6N

LE on lock from BestBuy. Excite!

Anyway, for some reason, ever since F1, I never really get past the domestic car classes. I'd race a lot, and maybe would venture as far as a Gallardo or a RUF whatever, but never have I really dabbled in the super cars classes. Just me and my real life car, an '03 VW Mk4 GTI (or closest variant).

NOT THIS TIME THOUGH BITCHES! Bring on the F1, Enzo, One-77, and the 1996 Saturn ION Red Line.

EDIT: also Maple Valley looks sick, love that course with all it's fall colors!

Arkaerial said:
Question about Forza 4, has Microsoft allowed the use of the G25/G27 wheel? That was the only reason I never could get into Forza was the controller or their wheel only.

No. There are other existing or upcoming wheel options— Fanatec, Madcatz, Thrustmaster.

Megasoum

Banned
Arkaerial said:

It's not a question of Microsoft allowing it or not. It's two completly different technology that can't communicate between each others.

Best case scenario would be that Microsoft license it's technology for Logitech's next wheel but the G25/G27 will never work on the 360. You would have to change all the electronics inside.

Yoritomo

amar212 said:

if Drift 5 is the highest level then I've always found 5 to actually Push rather than dampen, with Drift 4 being basically off (feels like the wheel when the wheel is off). Drift 5 always seemed to literally push the wheel in direction that you've initially begun to spin the wheel.

Yoritomo

I think I'm gonna pick up a new xbox for this. If I do that I should just move the Forza 3 save file to a usb stick and then move it to the new xbox? Will that work. I'm worried based on someone else's issue they had in this thread with moving their game save.

I don't want to lose the thing. I own pretty much every car and have some money left over.

mclaren777 said:

I don't get where's the problem.

Bigshots are uncompressed; and in other games you have to take a picture, save it, transfer it to dashboard, exit the game, save tu usb, put on pc, upload, share.

This way you just take the picture, share and store it on pc.

eek5

Yoritomo said:
I think I'm gonna pick up a new xbox for this. If I do that I should just move the Forza 3 save file to a usb stick and then move it to the new xbox? Will that work. I'm worried based on someone else's issue they had in this thread with moving their game save.

I don't want to lose the thing. I own pretty much every car and have some money left over.

I just moved my HDD over (bought arcade version).

I think this is becoming my favorite homescreen/photo location:
060.jpg

mclaren777

metareferential said:
I don't get where's the problem.

This way you just take the picture, share and store it on pc.
I'd rather have the images sitting on the Xbox to view on my TV. So you're right that most players probably prefer the way FM4 handles it, but I'd rather just dump it onto the console because that's easier for me.

eek5

mclaren777 said:
I'd rather have the images sitting on the Xbox to view on my TV. So you're right that most players probably prefer the way FM4 handles it, but I'd rather just dump it onto the console because that's easier for me.
IIRC they're saved to your HDD and uploaded to myforza so you can still view them from Forza as always.

stewy

Picked up a Fanatec GT2 for this. Unfortunately, it doesn't want to play nice with the PS3 (though it's working great on the Xbox). After seeing that unboxing I'm kind of hoping they might let me exchange this defective GT2 for a CSR.

And I also want those pedals.

Can't wait for this game.

hayguyz

Banned
Are these games as enjoyable with just a controller instead of getting a wheel? I don't want to buy any peripherals and I also don't have space to store them...

stewy said:
Picked up a Fanatec GT2 for this. Unfortunately, it doesn't want to play nice with the PS3 (though it's working great on the Xbox). After seeing that unboxing I'm kind of hoping they might let me exchange this defective GT2 for a CSR.

And I also want those pedals.

Can't wait for this game.

What happens on PS3?

If it works ok on 360 it should be alright on a Playstation.

Have you enabled PS3 mode or tried using a different USB cable?

Yoritomo

eek5 said:
I just moved my HDD over (bought arcade version).

I'm going from an old model to hopefully a new slim so I'm not sure that's an option.

My plan was to buy a slim arcade, and a 250 gig scorpio blue.

Are the hard drives from the old machines somehow compatible with the new ones?

I have 4 old xboxes sitting in my house now lol. One is broken.

SmokyDave

hayguyz said:
Are these games as enjoyable with just a controller instead of getting a wheel? I don't want to buy any peripherals and I also don't have space to store them...
Not as enjoyable but still extremely enjoyable nonetheless. I definitely wouldn't let the lack of a wheel stop you from buying the game, the Forza games feel pretty damned good on a pad.

Mascot

Yoritomo said:
I'm going from an old model to hopefully a new slim so I'm not sure that's an option.

I'm about to change from a fatbox to a slim. All advice I've had says don't even think about doing it without the official ms data transfer cable.

Yoritomo

Mascot said:
I'm about to change from a fatbox to a slim. All advice I've had says don't even think about doing it without the official ms data transfer cable.

And that cable seems to be the crux of the problem with losing a forza 3 save.

saladine1

hayguyz said:
For sim based games, I play with a wheel as that's the best way to play them. But sometimes, I just want to sit back and relax, pad in hand, and just have some fun. It doesn't mean you can't be competitive with a pad though. While it's fun and relaxing playing with the controller, you can still post very decent times and have some very exciting races.

eek5

Yoritomo said:

Yeah I opened my enclosure and popped it into the 360S. You can get a case from dealextreme if you want something more fancy. I guess you're going to need to get one anyway if you're getting a scorpio blue.

If you're hddhackring a 250gb just make a backup of your Forza save. Make sure everything is working offline so you can restore if necessary.

Broman1978

Yeah, I saw that after my post that most of them have already been posted.. And yes Badned said it was today they would put up some videos :D

Top Bottom