• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 4 - The Floodgates Have Opened...

vixlar

Aptos said:
Has anyone considered getting the new Microsoft wireless speed wheel? I can't decide between it and the fanatec CSR wheel/shifter/pedals. The Fanatec stuff is an order of magnitude more expensive :/

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0050SY0L2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Man, no offense, but... how you can even compare them?

Of course is more expensive because it is a real wheel. The MS wireless is more like the wii wheel.

I cant't speak about the quality of neither of those wheels, but there are a high probability that the MS wireless wheels suck.

Maybe it could be a good idea to try to get an old MS Wheel. It is not bad and it is not as expensive as a fanatec (I think). It is not the best though.

Mascot

Yoritomo said:
And that cable seems to be the crux of the problem with losing a forza 3 save.

Say what??! I thought the problems occured when people tried doing the transfer just using a normal USB cable?

Is it really a problem using the official MS cable?

Fuck-a-doodle-do, this scares me shitless.

stewy

drugstore_cowboy said:
What happens on PS3?

If it works ok on 360 it should be alright on a Playstation.

Have you enabled PS3 mode or tried using a different USB cable?

It worked once and then never again on the PS3. Fanatec's sending along a wireless dongle so I can test it that way.

Snubbers

vixlar said:
Man, no offense, but... how you can even compare them?

Of course is more expensive because it is a real wheel. The MS wireless is more like the wii wheel.

I cant't speak about the quality of neither of those wheels, but there are a high probability that the MS wireless wheels suck.

Maybe it could be a good idea to try to get an old MS Wheel. It is not bad and it is not as expensive as a fanatec (I think). It is not the best though.

Everyone that's used the new Speed Wheel thing has been very complimentary and the video's seem to show it as being very responsive..

However, as you point out, it's not actually a wheel, it's a very fancy handheld tilt sensing thing that you hold in free-air..

I'm thinking about getting one for when I'm on the couch on not in the racing rig.

Yoritomo

Mascot said:
Say what??! I thought the problems occured when people tried doing the transfer just using a normal USB cable?

Is it really a problem using the official MS cable?

Fuck-a-doodle-do, this scares me shitless.

And this is why I'm asking so many questions.

I really don't care about my other game saves. Just the Forza 3 save at this point.

The Stig

shinnn said:
getphoto.ashx4357c1j.jpg

]

my car is in the game

my car is in the game

my car is in the game

my car is in the game

Doodis

Aptos said:
Has anyone considered getting the new Microsoft wireless speed wheel? I can't decide between it and the fanatec CSR wheel/shifter/pedals. The Fanatec stuff is an order of magnitude more expensive :/

I'm getting one. I have neither the money nor the space for a major wheel setup. The wireless wheel is something I'll be able to slide into the drawer with the rest of my controllers, and it'll offer a bit more realism than just using the controller.

While most Gaffers may turn their nose up at it, it's perfect for someone like me - a hardcore casual.

EDIT: VVV reviews the wheel: "It's an awful lot better than I expected it to be."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDbse3ouTNs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7VKJ6v4zIk

Aptos said:

Like somebody posted earlier it's been previewing rather well. It seems that it would be a slight step up from the controller.

If you can't decide between those then money seems to be no object, I'd get the Fanatec setup ... it's amazing. Absolutely amazing. I have the GT2, Wheelstand, CSP, and older Porsche shift set (will get CSP when it launches later) and it's opened up a new world with these games.

Feeling the wheel pull and tug at you and the pedals vibrate when slamming on the brakes is too awesome.

My next purchase is a buttkicker I just don't know how well my setup will work with one.

So for anybody who has the Buttkicker attached to their seat will it not work if you're using optical audio? I keep seeing "2 channel" audio in the guides and such and the splitter is just an RCA plug.

Once this game is released and I have taken thousands of pictures lol, I plan on making something of a book featuring photos. Probably just digital pdf style. I considered doing it a monthly thing that featured other peoples work, but not sure anyone would give a shit enough for me to put in the effort. But I'm just excited for the game and photomode. Here is the "cover" I did. Obviously will replace all photos with my own but it gives you an idea. I'm thinking very minimal and modern in the actual layout.

0a7a0602e15417968b8c3b1fdea9aa2c-d4b6r6h.jpg

Raudi

flyinpiranha said:
So for anybody who has the Buttkicker attached to their seat will it not work if you're using optical audio? I keep seeing "2 channel" audio in the guides and such and the splitter is just an RCA plug.

I bought the MS Optical RCA adapter cable to use the optical out for my 5.1 and have the buttkicker hooked up to the RCA output (worked on old Fatty XBOX and my new slim)

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
rocksteady1983 said:
Once this game is released and I have taken thousands of pictures lol, I plan on making something of a book featuring photos. Probably just digital pdf style. I considered doing it a monthly thing that featured other peoples work, but not sure anyone would give a shit enough for me to put in the effort. But I'm just excited for the game and photomode. Here is the "cover" I did. Obviously will replace all photos with my own but it gives you an idea. I'm thinking very minimal and modern in the actual layout.

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/271/0/a/0a7a0602e15417968b8c3b1fdea9aa2c-d4b6r6h.jpg

would make a cool coffee table book - the shutterfly, or equivalent, photobooks turn out pretty well. Good idea!

Raudi said:
I bought the MS Optical RCA adapter cable to use the optical out for my 5.1 and have the buttkicker hooked up to the RCA output (worked on old Fatty XBOX and my new slim)

I'll look into that, thanks.

EDIT: Sweet, only $3.60 on Amazon ... ordered in case they sell out and I'll probably get a buttkicker system in a few months!

DOUBLE EDIT: LOL @ that skybox ... Truman Skybox indeed!

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
p3tran said:
lol truman show skybox confirmed, still 1000x better than having an invisible wall out of track limits ;)

that is TERRIBAD. wow. hopefully its not noticeable in game with the IBL and default settings

Syriel

saladine1 said:
So, you're saying we won't be seeing any videos from anyone until the 6th of October?

You won't be seeing much of anything (aside from the current screenies) until Oct 6th. That's when the floodgates open and everyone can officially talk.

Hopefully someone has the OT posted up before then so everything can be easily referenced.

SPEEDxNASTY

Neo Member
The Truman Show Motorsports 4, featuring an artificial world inside a virtual game on a virtual track in a virtual car behind a virtual wheel............................

d6223b65-eb41-463c-b906-c641b52a191d.jpg

Aptos said:

Well, here's my review:

Stay the fuck away from it!

I've tried it and it does have a decent level of precision, but it felt all sorts of weird playing sit down with it. It fails in the most basic aspect that your hands are not resting on the wheel, instead they are actually supporting it! It felt so weird it was actually better playing with it while standing!

And the Microsoft rep at the booth told me you can't do manual gear shifting with it. Though, it's something I didn't verify myself...

Anyway, it fails completely at any sort of attempt at simulation.

BruiserBear said:
Can someone tell me where all these screenshots are originating from?

Please don't tell me it's pirates who have the game early. :/
I'm fairly sure you can find them yourself. Take this URL:

http://forzamotorsport.net/Handlers/GetPhoto.ashx?id=672

and increment the number. Add &full=true to the end of the URL to get a bigger version.

http://forzamotorsport.net/Handlers/GetPhoto.ashx?id=672&full=true

In fact that link is to a pic that I don't think has been posted here before. I have an add-on in FireFox that allows me to quickly increment the number. Only about one in five numbers actually has a pic. It appears that as more people play, more pics show up. Because I know yesterday (or the day before) there weren't any pics with a number above 600... today there are.

dejay

Banned
Doodis said:
I'm getting one. I have neither the money nor the space for a major wheel setup. The wireless wheel is something I'll be able to slide into the drawer with the rest of my controllers, and it'll offer a bit more realism than just using the controller.

While most Gaffers may turn their nose up at it, it's perfect for someone like me - a hardcore casual.

EDIT: VVV reviews the wheel: "It's an awful lot better than I expected it to be."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDbse3ouTNs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7VKJ6v4zIk

I'm getting one too. I already have the OG Xbox wireless force feedback wheel, but I hate dragging it out and fucking around with it. The positive previews from places such as VVV have convinced me to at least give it a try.

rocksteady1983 said:

Sounds like a great idea.

Mascot

What possible reason is there for these rolling media embargoes on this game? It's out in less than two weeks, yet there's another NDA in place?
I don't understand it.

p3tran

Banned
Broman1978 said:
Maybe it´s one of the "secrets" that hasn´t been revealed yet?
Import JPEG´s etc and use them for liveries?
:D
yeah, this livery is imported, but from forza 3.

as you can see in the pic, everything you have in f3 can be imported succesfully. pretty cool 8)

saladine1

LQX said:
Pokemon Snap Forza 4 Edition. They need to release some videos. This is getting ridiculous.
Well, it seems no videos until the 6th which doesn't make sense as we will be playing the demo by then. Perhaps even the full game if people are lucky with stores...

Top Bottom