• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 4 - The Floodgates Have Opened...

Hela

I love Forza, but everything after 1 look so plastic-y to me. I don't really notice that when playing, but still shots bother the hell out of me.

Mascot

What possible reason is there for these rolling media embargoes on this game? It's out in less than two weeks, yet there's another NDA in place?
I don't understand it.

saladine1

shinnn said:
lol have people missed a tons of videos just 5 days ago?
I want a hi def video with no shitty music in the background.

6192876702_7914302568_z.jpg

6192359057_26c2ff8fe1_z.jpg

6192358965_55821b7850_z.jpg

Mascot said:
What possible reason is there for these rolling media embargoes on this game? It's out in less than two weeks, yet there's another NDA in place?
I don't understand it.

Trying to hide any flaws that might make people cancel pre orders??

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Mascot said:
I don't understand it.
To maximise exposure leading all the way to launch.

dejay

Banned
Mascot said:
I don't understand it.

Foreplay. It started with a coy smile at reveal, now we're up to heavy petting. Come launch day, we collectively blow our loads.

My tissues are ready.

Mascot

There's no denying the talent behind these airbrushed celebrity portraits, but (like anime stuff as well) it's hardly appropriate imagery to plaster all over a race car. I've never understood their popularity. Give me a good sponsor-laden replica race car livery any day of the week.

Like I said though: kudos to the artists.

cjelly said:
I really have to explain how drip-feeding information over several months maximises exposure for a game? Really?

I understand that, but we are weeks away from release, not months, the NDA lifts like 2 days before the game is out, right?

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Personally I'm not a big fan of people portrait liveries.

Unless it's done even more artistically (silhouettes or blowups on the sides covering another big section) not saying that it's not amazing work though but I don't think that they look right on cars.

Xanadu

Banned
Slayer-33 said:
Personally I'm not a big fan of people portrait liveries.

Unless it's done even more artistically (silhouettes or blowups on the sides covering another big section) not saying that it's not amazing work though but I don't think that they look right on cars.
same, i only like motorsport liverys, i also HATE anime cars

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
zephervack said:
I understand that, but we are weeks away from release, not months, the NDA lifts like 2 days before the game is out, right?
HAve you been following this game at all? There was an NDA lift just last week and videos aplenty from all the big sites.

I don't know what you want, someone to play through the whole game for you and put the video in YouTube or something?

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Xanadu said:
same, i only like motorsport liverys, i also HATE anime cars

Anime cars can be amazing but if done right I'd just keep them garaged for collection purposes. I like that type more than photo type of liveries.

Motorsport liveries are number one though, followed by crazy abstract designs.

saladine1 said:

GT 5 vibe indeed, nice.

cjelly said:
HAve you been following this game at all? There was an NDA lift just last week and videos aplenty from all the big sites.

I don't know what you want, someone to play through the whole game for you and put the video in YouTube or something?

I have not been following as much as other member no :(, is there an official car list now?

p3tran

Banned
Mascot said:
There's no denying the talent behind these airbrushed celebrity portraits, but (like anime stuff as well) it's hardly appropriate imagery to plaster all over a race car. I've never understood their popularity. Give me a good sponsor-laden replica race car livery any day of the week.

Like I said though: kudos to the artists.
if you see lots of anime and celebrities on the auction house, then that means that ..they sell?

racing livery replica is easier for such people. back to forza 2 I had a lamborghini with guernica painted perfectly on the car. fuckin guernica!! and in f2 iirc, creations took place usually on the roof of a mini :))

eek5

p3tran said:
if you see lots of anime and celebrities on the auction house, then that means that ..they sell?

racing livery replica is easier for such people. back to forza 2 I had a lamborghini with guernica painted perfectly on the car. fuckin guernica!! and in f2 iirc, creations took place usually on the roof of a mini :))
japan forza eats those half naked anime chicks up

Mascot

p3tran said:

I'm not denying their popularity - I just cannot understand it. Maybe in the 1980s when airbrush art was all the rage, but artistic taste has moved on a bit since then. I would have thought there would be more graffiti art on the auction house, for example.

Each to their own, I guess.

eek5

Mascot said:
I'm not denying their popularity - I just cannot understand it. Maybe in the 1980s when airbrush art was all the rage, but artistic taste has moved on a bit since then. I would have thought there would be more graffiti art on the auction house, for example.

I think if you're good at shading, doing that kind of stuff is a LOT easier than actually working out solid shapes. There is a lot of leeway working with brushed stuff than shapes. It looks intimidating from the outside because of the layers but it's really just manually brushing by copying the gradient shapes over and over. With graffiti type stuff you have to worry about aligning all the shapes to near 1:1 matches, resize them out so you're sure they line up. Outlining groups of shapes in black isn't as simple as copying a group, making the color black, and sizing it up because everything isn't perpendicular, etc.

kashwashwa

Neo Member
cjelly said:

I've been following the game - where exactly should I be seeing these videos aplenty?

Gamespot is the only website I've seen that has a video preview.

What I want is to be able to see an entire lap around a track with a full field of race cars. Also it would be neat to see a few different classes of cars to get an idea of the body roll on an old muscle car vs. a newer car to see the physics in action.

Yoritomo

The only way I can make anything in forza is my creating a grid to draw against and making a similar grid in whatever my viewing software is.

If you get a fun meme related design out it should sell quite a bit.

I came back to 998k or so sitting waiting for me for just one design that I managed to get up before anyone else. I'm a terrible artist so I'll have to rely on eek5 for all the rage faces.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
nagge said:
I guess he's referring to FM's version of the Ring, although I agree with him that it might not be perfectly accurate, I still enjoy it in the game.

to clarify - i was poking fun at those that constantly slam forza's ring. looks pretty damn close to me.

h3ro

op_ivy said:
to clarify - i was poking fun at those that constantly slam forza's ring. looks pretty damn close to me.

It's not the graphical representation, it's the inaccuracy in bumps, crowning of the road and camber. The track is flat as glass when that video shows that it's anything but.

Hawk269

saladine1 said:
I want a hi def video with no shitty music in the background.

6192876702_7914302568_z.jpg

6192359057_26c2ff8fe1_z.jpg

6192358965_55821b7850_z.jpg

Holy shit..those are some of the best pics I have seen...that looks almost real man. Any bigger shots of those? Damn...impressive.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
h3ro said:
It's not the graphical representation, it's the inaccuracy in bumps, crowning of the road and camber. The track is flat as glass when that video shows that it's anything but.

But there's no way a game can capture that w/o better camera effects that compare to real lifes.

You should feel the feedback on the controller/wheel if they implemented it like they said they did, that will make a huge difference in FM 4 if they worked it in the ring.

Hawk269 said:
Holy shit..those are some of the best pics I have seen...that looks almost real man. Any bigger shots of those? Damn...impressive.

Go back through the last 3-4 pages, all of the recent ones are fucking glorious.

The tracks and cars look godly.

h3ro

Slayer-33 said:
But there's no way a game can capture that w/o better camera effects that compare to real lifes.

You should feel the feedback on the controller/wheel if they implemented it like they said they did, that will make a huge difference in FM 4 if they worked it in the ring.

Go back through the last 3-4 pages, all of the recent ones are fucking glorious.

Agreed. The cars and tracks look fantastic. I just feel driving the 'Ring in F3 was too easy when I compared it to how it felt in PGR4 and GT. I feel like I'm gonna lose the car constantly in those two games because of bumps and the high curbs.

If they did reword the track to increase the haptic feedback to the player, then I really can't wait for this game anymore! Gears is only doing so much to keep me busy.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
h3ro said:
Agreed. The cars and tracks look fantastic. I just feel driving the 'Ring in F3 was too easy when I compared it to how it felt in PGR4 and GT. I feel like I'm gonna lose the car constantly in those two games because of bumps and the high curbs.

If they did reword the track to increase the haptic feedback to the player, then I really can't wait for this game anymore! Gears is only doing so much to keep me busy.

i would imagine the improved sim feel will lend a lot to the rings twists, turns, bumps, and crests. i think it will be a much more harrowing experience knowing if you are pushing too hard you can easily lose control of the car, more so than ever before.

Slayer-33 said:

I'm sliding and bouncing all over the place in 3 with my setup and I honestly have no idea what people are talking about. Even back a few pages somebody posted a picture if how wide it is IRL and then it went complaining about bumps. I can only assume if the FFB is there for the bumps that the tree count will come into question.

p3tran

Banned
Mascot said:

there is an entire subforum on fm.net just for racing liveries. there are plenty, and also you can have built to order whatever you like. but street & pop art of great style, eventhough they exist, it is hard to find by chance on the auctions. better to search fm.net or put up a topic of your interest.

p.s.
about extra effects like bumps etc, as well as a shitload of other features, you guys have to keep in mind that this is the 3rd forza we are getting on the same old machine.
-microsoft, you milking sob's bring out some new hardware you monkey@!!#!@@!!&^%$#@!!

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
h3ro said:

I loved the feedback through the controller on tracks from PGR 2+ I felt that I actually had more control over the car and any little bump or slight drop or jump translated perfectly to the controller. I could tell when I was losing grip/control of the car because of the way rumble implementation was done. If they got this shit down on FM 4 near the level of PGR 2's + it's a huge game changer.

Slayer-33 said:
I loved the feedback through the controller on tracks from PGR 2+ I felt that I actually had more control over the car and any little bump or slight drop or jump translated perfectly to the controller. I could tell when I was losing grip/control of the car because of the way rumble implementation was done. If they got this shit down on FM 4 near the level of PGR 2's + it's a huge game changer.

You probably wouldn't be able to do the same in a real car. Therefore controller < wheel.

AMUSIX

flyinpiranha said:
I'm sliding and bouncing all over the place in 3 with my setup and I honestly have no idea what people are talking about. Even back a few pages somebody posted a picture if how wide it is IRL and then it went complaining about bumps. I can only assume if the FFB is there for the bumps that the tree count will come into question.
Wait...they fucked up the number of trees on the ring?? How the hell could they have done that? It's called "Green Hell" for a reason! If they don't get the tree count right, it'll end up looking like any other track and completely kill the character of the Ring....

this sucks.....

Top Bottom