• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 4 - The Floodgates Have Opened...

I bought a Speed Wheel today, and got to try it for about 30 minutes. It's pretty cool.

The misconception about this thing is amazing. The worst thing Microsoft could have done was to put "wheel" in the name. It's not a wheel, it's a controller. Think of it as that, and it's much easier to get your head around it. If you insist on comparing it to a proper wheel, you're totally missing the point.

Anyway, I quickly fired up F1 2011, and the Forza 3 demo (sold my retail copy last week. I'll never go back to it once 4 is out). Both worked well. I did a handful of laps with no TC/TCS/etc. It took about 2 laps to get used to it, but after that it was smooth sailing. I was so impressed with how precise it was. You don't feel like your guessing at all. As precise as a controller though? Close. Very close. Granted, it's 20 minutes vs. 12 years or whatever of sticks. I'll need more time to really say for sure if it's completely on par.

I think there could be some real benefits to anyone who struggles with the genre. The extra input range of motion can certainly help to smooth things out. That's not important to me though. Is it fun to use? Yes. If nothing else, it's a new challenge on a cool piece of tech. I'm looking forward to try and master it.

A couple of quick things:

- Interestingly, in F1 '11 the steering wheel settings which were locked when using a controller are now open when using the SW. The 360 must just treat it like the ffb wheel.

- No, it doesn't have shoulder buttons. No, it doesn't have a headphone jack either. Dumb moves, tbh.

- I did mange to run F1 '11 with manual gears, but it was cranky about some inputs not being mapped. This happens is because there aren't enough buttons without shoulder buttons. I was able to do it though, and it worked fine. Even while using KERS and DRS! That makes for a serious workout for your fingers!

- Without a configuration menu in the demo, I had to use automatic gearbox in Forza.

- I tried it sitting, standing, lying on the couch. All worked equally as well. The only time I held it out in front of me was when standing. I held it like a regular controller the other times - on my lap or between my legs. It like driving a bus when sitting. It's very natural though.

Just an FYI - I currently own 3 ffb wheels including the Microsoft one. I've been playing these sims/games since Indy Car Racing II. I don't need to know it's not as good as a wheel. That said, I don't have a dedicated sim racing setup which means my gear gets stored when not in use. Anybody who happens to do the same will understand that just grabbing a controller rather than dragging all your shit out happens pretty frequently. As it looks right now, I'll certainly be grabbing the SW over the controller.

The fact that the Speed Wheel stands up well to our strictly established input methods says a lot about it. It's incredibly hard to make something truly different that can actually compete with a controller. They did it though.

Broman1978

Nice, I didn´t know that the Volvo S60 R-Design was in the game =)

9kWWI.jpg

http://www.xboxfront.de/news-2206-26449-Forza_Motorsport_4_Microsoft_Xbox_360.html

p3tran

Banned
BCD2 said:
..... Anybody who happens to do the same will understand that just grabbing a controller rather than dragging all your shit out happens pretty frequently. As it looks right now, I'll certainly be grabbing the SW over the controller.

The fact that the Speed Wheel stands up well to our strictly established input methods says a lot about it. It's incredibly hard to make something truly different that can actually compete with a controller. They did it though.
!! thanks for the input, i think i'll get one. did you hotlap equally well in the f3 demo with pad and this controller?

Trojan X

Banned
op_ivy said:
reminds me of this
Scud%20Race.png

scudrace_c.jpg

I'M PLAYING SCUDRACE RIGHT NOW!!!! IT'S AWESOMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!^&*"^&"^&(!^!^(!^(*¬^("&*%^*&"//...... died.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Trojan X said:
I'M PLAYING SCUDRACE RIGHT NOW!!!! IT'S AWESOMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!^&*"^&"^&(!^!^(!^(*¬^("&*%^*&"//...... died.
So glad that the Model 3 emulator has sound. Now it's all about the tweaking.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
The real shot is further out but it looks wider in FM 3 obviously, didn't they make it wider irl recently though?

Different section of the track too in the irl shot, near then end it's thinner.

Trojan X

Banned
twinturbo2 said:
So glad that the Model 3 emulator has sound. Now it's all about the tweaking.

Dude! This game is running at 1920x1080p (well, 4:3 unfortunately so I can't wait for widescreen mode) full blasting sound at 60fps. Night time course is PERFECT. Everything in that game is sheer bliss. Reminds you why SEGA was the undeniable kings of the arcades. Still unbelievable that SEGA didn't do ANYTHING with this game. Scud Race is practically the REAL Daytona USA 2! ... sheer wow.

cjelly said:
Any pics, BCD2?

I didn't realise the Speed Wheel was out already.
I'm not home now, but I can take some later.

I didn't know it was out either! I saw somebody mention buying one at Gamestop, and sure enough they're on their site, so I went by and picked one up. I had been watching Amazon, but they still say Oct 31st.

p3tran said:
!! thanks for the input, i think i'll get one. did you hotlap equally well in the f3 demo with pad and this controller?
Like I said, I only got a few minutes with it, but I'd say pretty damn close. Close enough that I felt confident that with a little more practice I'd be right there.

To be honest, the comfort/fun level is more important to me than a lost tenth or two if there even is one. It's that close though.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Trojan X said:
Dude! This game is running at 1920x1080p (well, 4:3 unfortunately so I can't wait for widescreen mode) full blasting sound at 60fps. Night time course is PERFECT. Everything in that game is sheer bliss. Reminds you why SEGA was the undeniable kings of the arcades. Still unbelievable that SEGA didn't do ANYTHING with this game. Scud Race is practically the REAL Daytona USA 2! ... sheer wow.
How does one legally run Scud Race in an emulator, just out of interest?

BCD2 said:
I'm not home now, but I can take some later.

I didn't know it was out either! I saw somebody mention buying one at Gamestop, and sure enough they're on their site, so I went by and picked one up. I had been watching Amazon, but they still say Oct 31st.
Some pics would be great.

Xanadu

Banned
Slayer-33 said:
The real shot is further out but it looks wider in FM 3 obviously, didn't they make it wider irl recently though?

Different section of the track too in the irl shot, near then end it's thinner.
heres a better one
frozen2.jpg

small car too

cjelly said:
How does one legally run Scud Race in an emulator, just out of interest?

Some pics would be great.
Will do.

A couple of interesting physical features:

The face buttons are about half the size of the ones on the regular controller (not important), and the travel of the triggers is roughly twice as long (important). They're big burly triggers too. The extra "pedal" travel is a very nice feature.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Damn ^ the sky lighting and reflecting really makes it. Only some details break the illusion of being a game.

Xanadu said:
heres a better one
frozen2

small car too

The track looks very odd in this pic wth lol looks so small.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Xanadu said:
i think the wheels ruin it in most pics, they dont seem to use IBL

Yep the wheels definitely break the effect there. Maybe with some local editing we can fix our photomode pics when needed.

I wonder if they can patch the wheels to use the lighting later on? Probably not.

I'm sure putting certain aftermarket wheel will solve the issue when needed though.

Xanadu

Banned
Slayer-33 said:
Yep the wheels definitely break the effect there. Maybe with some local editing we can fix our photomode pics when needed.

I wonder if they can patch the wheels to use the lighting later on? Probably not.

I'm sure putting certain aftermarket wheel will solve the issue when needed though.
it seems certain wheels use it though

these seem to
NyTsT.jpg

and compare that to this
CSR8K.jpg

Xanadu said:
heres a better one
[...]
Part of the problem is the different lenses that are being used-- the Forza shot you posted was from a wide-angle while the first real life shot was from a long tele and the second, while closer to a 'normal' lens is still far linger than the virtual lens used for the Forza shot.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Trojan X said:
I'm just hoping that Bart can team up with Sega so that they can do an XBLA/PSN release of Daytona USA 2. :D

I've done a few more handful of laps, and yeah, this thing is great. I'm really enjoying it.

Sorry about the crappy iPhone pics. Notice the awesome triggers in the right-hand picture.

jfYhP.jpg

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Xanadu said:
yea we know, it sucks but will probably be for DLC, because $60 just isnt enough nowadays!
Jeez, as if I need another reason to get the season pass. The CTR Yellowbird is the car people think about first when they hear of RUF...

Xanadu

Banned
mclaren777 said:
You like someone who has never driven a sporty Clio.

Few people in the world will ever drive anything as fun or rewarding as the 182 Trophy.
i'd love to drive a clio v6, apparently they are scary as hell

So far the cars that I am almost certain are going to be DLC are:

Ruf Yellowbird
Mazda RX-3
Dodge Omni GLH-S
Peugeot 205 Turbo 16
Toyota Celica GT-Four ST185
Volvo 850 T5-R

Seriously, I would be willing to bet a large sum of cash that these will all show up as DLC.

Xanadu

Banned
Shortt Sirket said:
So far the cars that I am almost certain are going to be DLC are:

Ruf Yellowbird
Mazda RX-3
Dodge Omni GLH-S
Peugeot 205 Turbo 16
Toyota Celica GT-Four ST185
Volvo 850 T5-R

Seriously, I would be willing to bet a large sum of cash that these will all show up as DLC.
all of those minus the yellowbird were in the jalopnik list i think so yea

Top Bottom