• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 4 - The Floodgates Have Opened...

Shaneus

RX-3 and ST185? My body is *so* fucking ready. Just let me put vinyl on the windows so I can put Carlos Sainz' name on it. Also, I'd like to recreate something Sega Rally-ish in Positano with custom liveries, the ST185 and Delta.

Shaneus

BCD2 said:
I've done a few more handful of laps, and yeah, this thing is great. I'm really enjoying it.

Sorry about the crappy iPhone pics. Notice the awesome triggers in the right-hand picture.

http://i.imgur.com/jfYhP.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
I don't know if it's been answered before, but is there any rumble at all in the wheel? And the killer question... is it better than the controller (for FM4)?

Mobius 1

shinnn said:
someone asked for the WRX sti

getphoto.ashx101mwup.jpg

My car is in the game, wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

BCD2 said:
I've done a few more handful of laps, and yeah, this thing is great. I'm really enjoying it.

Sorry about the crappy iPhone pics. Notice the awesome triggers in the right-hand picture

How is it for manually shifting? I fear the lack of shoulder buttons and right stick was a huge misstep.

flashburn2012 said:
Yeah, I'm seeing a bit of a lack of updated models, no 2009+ Z06, no 2011 GT-R, etc.

I've noticed a few that they've put a few in, removed some of the cars that had newer models as DLC (there's no 2007 GT500 Mustang).

I was really hoping for the carbon-edition Z06. Maybe it'll be a body-kit for the Z06? Hope springs eternal. Sport-suspension, lighter wheels, first weight reduction (if that), bumper, hood, side-skirts, spoiler and you're there.

lawndart said:
I just drove a Clio RS on the Ring 2 weeks ago, rented it from RSR... and did it in the pouring rain:/

Oh man, that's fantastic.

Shaneus said:
I don't know if it's been answered before, but is there any rumble at all in the wheel? And the killer question... is it better than the controller (for FM4)?
Yep, it's got rumble. I'd say the motor isn't quite as good as in the standard controller (I assume because of packaging reasons), but it's thereabouts. Speaking of packaging, it doesn't use the standard xbox peripheral battery packs either. Only off the shelf AAs of which it comes with two.

I can't speak for FM4 because I haven't played it, but is it better than a controller? I'm going to have to say yes. Frankly, I think it's amazing that they've pulled that off. Being a better controller than the king, the dual analog stick controller? That's seriously impressive.

The extra, I'll just call it "resolution", of the steering input is what makes it better. It's the same principle which makes driving with a wheel a smoother experience. It's precise, it's intuitive, it's flexible, it's fun.

It would be perfect if it weren't for the two missing buttons which might make customizing the layout tricky especially for manual gear shifts, and the lack of a headset jack which makes it a bit anti-social.

CrudeDiatribe said:
How is it for manually shifting? I fear the lack of shoulder buttons and right stick was a huge misstep.
Technically, it's fine. It's going to need some love in the form of loads of configuration options from devs though. There'll be two odd man out buttons compared to a controller, so configuring what you'd like those to be needs some support.

Xanadu said:
heres a better one
frozen2.jpg

small car too

You're right, you can barely fit 2 cars on that track

nickheidfeld_bmw_nurburgring_nordschleife_2007_karussell.jpg

Barely squeezing through this corner:
nurburgring1-009.jpg

I get it, it's not 100% accurate, but the wideness complaints seem to be exaggerated. I've been back and forth between GT5's version and Forza 3's version ... I guess I just don't see it as much.

Xanadu

Banned
flyinpiranha said:
You're right, you can barely fit 2 cars on that track

nickheidfeld_bmw_nurburgring_nordschleife_2007_karussell.jpg

Barely squeezing through this corner:
nurburgring1-009.jpg

I get it, it's not 100% accurate, but the wideness complaints seem to be exaggerated. I've been back and forth between GT5's version and Forza 3's version ... I guess I just don't see it as much.
were talking about the width of the karussell in that pic..and yes its way too wide

Shortt Sirket said:
So far the cars that I am almost certain are going to be DLC are:

Ruf Yellowbird
Mazda RX-3
Dodge Omni GLH-S
Peugeot 205 Turbo 16
Toyota Celica GT-Four ST185
Volvo 850 T5-R

Seriously, I would be willing to bet a large sum of cash that these will all show up as DLC.

I would kill for that ... it's the closest thing I'll get to what I'm driving.

LowerLevel

Slayer-33 said:
Dat shit looks beautiful.

QFT... Finally starting to get a touch impatient! Need to put my wife on a 2nd job and have the baby re-start modeling to get some extra gaming money for the next few months!

Shaneus

BCD2 said:
Yep, it's got rumble. I'd say the motor isn't quite as good as in the standard controller (I assume because of packaging reasons), but it's thereabouts. Speaking of packaging, it doesn't use the standard xbox peripheral battery packs either. Only off the shelf AAs of which it comes with two.

I can't speak for FM4 because I haven't played it, but is it better than a controller? I'm going to have to say yes. Frankly, I think it's amazing that they've pulled that off. Being a better controller than the king, the dual analog stick controller? That's seriously impressive.

The extra, I'll just call it "resolution", of the steering input is what makes it better. It's the same principle which makes driving with a wheel a smoother experience. It's precise, it's intuitive, it's flexible, it's fun.

It would be perfect if it weren't for the two missing buttons which might make customizing the layout tricky especially for manual gear shifts, and the lack of a headset jack which makes it a bit anti-social.

Technically, it's fine. It's going to need some love in the form of loads of configuration options from devs though. They'll be two odd man out buttons compared to a controller, so configuring what you'd like those to be needs some support.
That's great to hear, thanks for the impressions! Given that I shelled out for a DFGT for GT5 and rarely use it, this could be perfect, especially not even requiring any setup at all. Pretty good compromise between wheel-free Kinect, controller and a fully-fledged Fanatec. Hopefully it's priced alright in Australia and has decent backward-support for games like PGR4 and the like.

One more quickie: Do you know if a date's been set for it yet? I would think they'd have it in shops by the time FM4 is out to create customer awareness of it, but I can't see any news on the device post-E3.

CrudeDiatribe said:
Is this Infineon? I'm going to be embarrassed if it's Leguna Seca.

Goddamnit, it's Silverstone, apparently. I thought it only rained in the UK?! why the hell is the grass dead?

Oh well, I knew Infineon's curbs weren't that colour. Was sort of hoping it was the left-right at the end of the long straight on the much-wanted course in a land populated only by criminals.

Shaneus said:
That's great to hear, thanks for the impressions! Given that I shelled out for a DFGT for GT5 and rarely use it, this could be perfect, especially not even requiring any setup at all. Pretty good compromise between wheel-free Kinect, controller and a fully-fledged Fanatec. Hopefully it's priced alright in Australia and has decent backward-support for games like PGR4 and the like.

One more quickie: Do you know if a date's been set for it yet? I would think they'd have it in shops by the time FM4 is out to create customer awareness of it, but I can't see any news on the device post-E3.
I'm happy to answer whatever questions you've got. I think the thing is awesome.

I tried it with PGR4 and it worked great. Support must come from the OS itself. It actually came with an install disk, but when I put it in it said I was already up to date. Support must have been a included in a previous firmware update.

The news has been very quiet about it even here in the US. No release date, no nothing. The only encouraging thing is that when I picked it up today Gamestop had FM4/Speed Wheel combo signage up in the store. It didn't look like there was any financial incentive to buying both, but they were at least being advertised together.

I kind of have a feeling they might be low volume though. Whether it was the lol Kinect Wii Wheel reception, or high cost to build, or low demand, or whatever. Just a gut feeling.

Shaneus

Ugh, that sucks if they are. I'd happily buy even one extra if it means I could play most split screen driving games with a friend if we're both using wheels. Fingers crossed they take off.

I can only assume the support comes via some kind of emulator for the old 360 FF wheel ie. if it supports the Speed Wheel it will display in config screens etc., but if it doesn't it just sees it as the old one. As long as it has the degrees of motion from a wheel rather than a joypad, I don't care.

But your impressions definitely have me excited, though. Just hope MS doesn't let us down with production issues!

Shaneus said:
Ugh, that sucks if they are. I'd happily buy even one extra if it means I could play most split screen driving games with a friend if we're both using wheels. Fingers crossed they take off.

I can only assume the support comes via some kind of emulator for the old 360 FF wheel ie. if it supports the Speed Wheel it will display in config screens etc., but if it doesn't it just sees it as the old one. As long as it has the degrees of motion from a wheel rather than a joypad, I don't care.

But your impressions definitely have me excited, though. Just hope MS doesn't let us down with production issues!
Oh, I wouldn't be discouraged about getting one, or anything. I'm sure they'll hit AU in no time.

That's my take as well in regards to emulation of the wheel.

supersaw

Can't wait for the demo. What slightly saddens me is that if Forza was out on PC the gameplay would actually look as good as all these bullshots.

Xanadu

Banned
sCHOCOLATE said:
The Nurburgring is, in fact, quite wide. And some of the curbs are rather steep. Photos courtesy of http://bridgetogantry.com
i know its wide, but not as wide as n forza 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbKiRAnUwVM

supersaw said:
Can't wait for the demo. What slightly saddens me is that if Forza was out on PC the gameplay would actually look as good as all these bullshots.
i've been asking for forza for PC since the first, i made threads on the forza forums and most comments were LOL PC SUCKS..good times

supersaw

Xanadu said:
i've been asking for forza for PC since the first, i made threads on the forza forums and most comments were LOL PC SUCKS..good times

I don't think it's impossible, especially since racing games aren't the system sellers they once were in the GT days. It would make sense to make it multiplatform, I bet they're missing out on a good chunk of cash by keeping it exclusive.

sCHOCOLATE

Xanadu said:
i know its wide, but not as wide as n forza 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbKiRAnUwVM
Okay, now you're tying to be funny. You provided a link to a game which I have immediate access to. This is an FM4 thread. Odds are, people in this thread have or had access to FM3 at one point.

In fact, I'm running laps in FM3 on Nurburgring right now in a 250 GTO.

If I look at my paused game, from cockpit view, and I consider where my left side tires would contact the virtual asphalt(perhaps a foot from the left edge of the track) then look across to where the right edge of the road is rendered, there's enough room for another car to run alongside with quite a bit of room to spare.

Not unlike the two pictures I posted from Bridge To Gantry.

But tell you what, I'll be making a trip to Germany the week after FM4 releases. Destination: Nurburg. Intent: To book a lap or two from the local trackday company, Rent4Ring.

I suspect what I see in FM3 right now, in terms of track width, and what I've seen in real life pictures/video and what I will soon see first-person, won't differ greatly.

And always keep in mind that game developers can take liberties in designing anything as they see fit. I have a good recollection of the Nurburgring represented in the PGR series(2 , 3 and 4) and the earlier versions of Forza. Compared to reality, these have all been reasonably accurate renditions of the Green Hell.

Until I set foot in the paddock of the real thing and take aim at my first apex, all those "versions" are fine as is.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
sCHOCOLATE said:
Okay, now you're tying to be funny. You provided a link to a game which I have immediate access to. This is an FM4 thread. Odds are, people in this thread have or had access to FM3 at one point.

If I look at my paused game, from cockpit view, and I consider where my left side tires would contact the virtual asphalt(perhaps a foot from the left edge of the track) then look across to where the right edge of the road is rendered, there's enough room for another car to run alongside with quite a bit of room to spare.

But tell you what, I'll be making a trip to Germany the week after FM4 releases. Destination: Nurburg. Intent: To book a lap or two from the local trackday company, Rent4Ring.

I suspect what I see in FM3 right now, in terms of track width, and what I've seen in real life pictures/video and what I will soon see first-person, won't differ greatly.

And always keep in mind that game developers can take liberties in designing anything as they see fit. I have a good recollection of the Nurburgring represented in the PGR series(2 , 3 and 4) and the earlier versions of Forza. Compared to reality, these have all been reasonably accurate renditions of the Green Hell.

Until I set foot in the paddock of the real thing and take aim at my first apex, all those "versions" are fine as is.
Holy crap, is this the same sCHOC from BC? :O It's a family reunion in here!

This gives us another opportunity to talk about PGR4!

Also, weird you only have two posts in 4 years but still have member status o_O

AMUSIX

So expect Forza to start popping up in the wild since the retail copies are in the channels as of two days ago.. If there really is anything being held back, we'll know soon enough.

enzo_gt said:
Also, weird you only have two posts in 4 years but still have member status o_O
Not too weird...policies were different in the past. Heck, I never even did the Junior thing.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
AMUSIX said:
So expect Forza to start popping up in the wild since the retail copies are in the channels as of two days ago.. If there really is anything being held back, we'll know soon enough.

Not too weird...policies were different in the past. Heck, I never even did the Junior thing.
Oh wow.

*feels noobish*

adelante

AMUSIX said:
Retail channels as in.....your shop?!? Wait are you still running that games store? Unless I've mistaken you for some other dude who posted about it ;|

If we're not gonna get videos from the press, then I hope some fans out there who has a copy and a hd capture setup uploads them

Iknos

CrudeDiatribe said:
Is this Infineon? I'm going to be embarrassed if it's Leguna Seca.

Hoe.
Leash.
It.

Racing against 15 other liveried cars will be a visual treat.

Then again we don't know how sharp they are in gameplay.

Still it adds distinction between cars and in many ways an underrated feature when it comes to them being useful in racing. Somewhat overrated in other senses though.

amar: I think GT5 has some braking issues but it is much better than in Prologue which was an absolute joke. With some tweaking you can get braking in GT5 to feel very natural but I don't think it is out of the box. Well we probably shouldn't keep on this topic in this thread.

Which reminds me I wanted to thank the mod or mods of this thread for allowing frank and open discussion of this game and many others. Some of the other racing threads didn't have that and you would be banned simply because you held an unpopular opinion. Good job to whoever it is.

There is an issue I am seeing with the screens and its really hard to say its an issue but I feel like it is. I didn't want to bring it up until I had the game but I'm seeing enough evidence in some of the pics so here we go...

I thought that most cars in Forza 3 had subdued caster angles which resulted in less camber than there should have been when tires are turned. In some of these screens I see tires turned to lock and there is very little change in camber. I only realized months ago that this could be affecting how the cars load transfer looked subdued too.

Now I can't say for sure unless I had a car and measured the sort of camber that arises when the wheels are turned and compare it to the game especially when we see all of these shots of cars that few of us have access to. Any thoughts?

Xanadu

Banned
sCHOCOLATE said:

there are countless comparisons on gtplanet and other sites that show the faults of both forza and GTs nurburgring, i have the game too but i was posting as you may not have played it in a while lol

Hawk269

Iknos said:
Hoe.
Leash.
It.

Racing against 15 other liveried cars will be a visual treat.

Then again we don't know how sharp they are in gameplay.

Still it adds distinction between cars and in many ways an underrated feature when it comes to them being useful in racing. Somewhat overrated in other senses though.

amar: I think GT5 has some braking issues but it is much better than in Prologue which was an absolute joke. With some tweaking you can get braking in GT5 to feel very natural but I don't think it is out of the box. Well we probably shouldn't keep on this topic in this thread.

Which reminds me I wanted to thank the mod or mods of this thread for allowing frank and open discussion of this game and many others. Some of the other racing threads didn't have that and you would be banned simply because you held an unpopular opinion. Good job to whoever it is.

There is an issue I am seeing with the screens and its really hard to say its an issue but I feel like it is. I didn't want to bring it up until I had the game but I'm seeing enough evidence in some of the pics so here we go...

I thought that most cars in Forza 3 had subdued caster angles which resulted in less camber than there should have been when tires are turned. In some of these screens I see tires turned to lock and there is very little change in camber. I only realized months ago that this could be affecting how the cars load transfer looked subdued too.

Now I can't say for sure unless I had a car and measured the sort of camber that arises when the wheels are turned and compare it to the game especially when we see all of these shots of cars that few of us have access to. Any thoughts?

I may be completely out of the loop, but I thought the maximum amount of cars on a given track was 12? You state racing against 15 other cars???

Doodis

Picked up the speed wheel tonight after work. Here are my probably-too-lengthy thoughts:

My first lap was terrible. All over the place. Really pathetic and my initial thought was to send it right back. After a few more races, I think it's a keeper.

Keep in mind, I've never played with a wheel before, only a controller. On my first lap I was over- and under-steering like crazy. I'm not sure if this is a normal occurrence for people switching from controller to wheel, but it was pretty bad.

I traded in Forza 3 because I won't be going back after 4 comes out, so I was playing the Forza 3 demo. At first I was in the behind-the-car view, which is default for the demo, and it was terrible. There's no way to switch view with the speed wheel, so I pulled out the controller, switched to cockpit (my normal view) and this made all the difference. This won't be an issue in FM4 since bumper is no longer camera view.

I don't know how to describe it, but using the wheel in cockpit mode gave an entirely new sense of speed and potential disaster, much more how I'd imagine real racing is.

I was still unable to get the same accuracy I would with a controller, but it seemed more fun. I think the problem is that with a controller, you can always just release the joystick and you're heading straight. With the speed wheel, you can't do that, so there's always a chance of over- or under-correcting. I usually come in first place on medium AI difficulty with the controller, but using this really made me work for it. My initial race I was 8th place, next two I was 3rd place, and the final two I was 1st.

I tried to switch to manual transmission minus clutch, but that didn't work in the race. It just wouldn't switch. Hopefully this isn't the case in FM4. I can deal with no clutch, but strictly automatic transmission might be a deal breaker for me.

I tried it with Burnout Paradise afterwards, and though it worked, I would never play that game with it. Way to difficult to control the car in that frantic environment.

Anyway, sorry this was long-winded. All in all, seems like it will end up being fun and adding a new challenge for someone like me that can't afford/doesn't have space for a real wheel setup.

Shaneus

Doodis said:
Picked up the speed wheel tonight after work. Here are my probably-too-lengthy thoughts:

My first lap was terrible. All over the place. Really pathetic and my initial thought was to send it right back. After a few more races, I think it's a keeper.

Keep in mind, I've never played with a wheel before, only a controller. On my first lap I was over- and under-steering like crazy. I'm not sure if this is a normal occurrence for people switching from controller to wheel, but it was pretty bad.

I traded in Forza 3 because I won't be going back after 4 comes out, so I was playing the Forza 3 demo. At first I was in the behind-the-car view, which is default for the demo, and it was terrible. There's no way to switch view with the speed wheel, so I pulled out the controller, switched to cockpit (my normal view) and this made all the difference. This won't be an issue in FM4 since bumper is no longer camera view.

I don't know how to describe it, but using the wheel in cockpit mode gave an entirely new sense of speed and potential disaster, much more how I'd imagine real racing is.

I was still unable to get the same accuracy I would with a controller, but it seemed more fun. I think the problem is that with a controller, you can always just release the joystick and you're heading straight. With the speed wheel, you can't do that, so there's always a chance of over- or under-correcting. I usually come in first place on medium AI difficulty with the controller, but using this really made me work for it. My initial race I was 8th place, next two I was 3rd place, and the final two I was 1st.

I tried to switch to manual transmission minus clutch, but that didn't work in the race. It just wouldn't switch. Hopefully this isn't the case in FM4. I can deal with no clutch, but strictly automatic transmission might be a deal breaker for me.

I tried it with Burnout Paradise afterwards, and though it worked, I would never play that game with it. Way to difficult to control the car in that frantic environment.

Anyway, sorry this was long-winded. All in all, seems like it will end up being fun and adding a new challenge for someone like me that can't afford/doesn't have space for a real wheel setup.
It's actually out in some places?

Anyway, thanks for the impressions :)

Doodis

Shaneus said:
It's actually out in some places?

Anyway, thanks for the impressions :)
Yeah, I was pretty surprised as well, since everything out there says it's not releasing until the end of October. But when BCD2 posted about his and some others posted at the Forza forums, I checked the Gamestops near me and a few of them (but not all) had them in stock.

Mascot

Doodis said:
I think the problem is that with a controller, you can always just release the joystick and you're heading straight. With the speed wheel, you can't do that, so there's always a chance of over- or under-correcting.

Interesting point - I'd never considered this before. Even traditional game steering wheels are sprung to centre themselves.

And your initial concerns about how weird wheel control feels at first compared to a pad? Totally normal. I used a MS wheel for years on FM2 then sold it, bought a GT2 a couple of years later and had to re-learn how to use one. At first I was all over the place like a mad woman's piss. And like most people, I've driven a car almost every day since I was seventeen...! :lol

Racing with a joypad is fine but steering can be very imprecise due to the relatively small inputs on a stumpy thumbstick translating to large inputs in-game. For the most part I always tended to steer 'digitally' with the analogue stick by tapping it left and right instead of using tiny analogue movements, so the speed wheel should offer far more precision than a joypad for me. I'll probably never get one now my race rig is permanently set up in a dedicated room, but as an armchair alternative to the joypad it seems like a good idea. Shame that manual gears sound like such a hassle on it.

Be interesting to hear how user's lap-times compare between the speed wheel, joypad and steering wheel. I'm always a lot faster with my GT2 than with the joypad, but I think a lot of this is down to the throttle and braking precision using pedals and not just the smoothness and accuracy of the steering.

Top Bottom