• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 4 - The Floodgates Have Opened...

LQX

cjelly said:
Some new Forza 4 avatar stuff went up today. http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-GB/A...66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024d530910&Fits=Men

GyuVz.jpg
Crazy but I might buy the sneakers and gloves being that XBox rewards gives you back 80 points for buying to Avatar items.

U2NUMB

I am gonna bite on this speed wheel. Seems perfect for me. I enjoy the traditional wheel setup but I hardly have the time to get it set up. So this is something I can buy into. They have it at all my local gamestops so gonna dive in later today.

guest1321

My speed wheel is coming on Friday. I was a little concerned it was going to feel to much like a Wii wheel but it sounds like it has been getting some great feedback. Thanks to everyone who has provided some so far, I think this will relieve some of the anxiety as the 11th of october approaches.

CaramaC said:
Speed wheel looks ok, wouldn't mind seeing it in action on a track like tsukuba.
I thought the same thing too. "Ah ha, let journos test it on a track where steering angles are <45°! You can't fool me!" No, it works perfectly in slow corners as well. It's mimicking the ffb wheel, so 270° of lock, speed sensitive steering, etc.

I was doing nice tidy laps in Hungry in F1 '11 with it, which is pretty much the polar opposite of Bernese Alps.

shadowkhas

Neo Member
I hope the speed sensitive steering goes away with the Simulation option in FM4, though. If it does, I might just jump on this.
How will Bluetooth headsets work with this, though? Is there a receiver in the wheel? Online voice chat is pretty much a deal breaker, as I spend most of my time racing with my group of friends.

eek5 said:
I think it only works for videos. Photos are encrypted or something

wxpirs allows you to save them to .jpg, i posted earlier in the thread about it.

it works for pgr 4, forza 2 and (3 - only small images though) i'm hoping forza 4 allows you to save full size images.

somebody who has a review copy try.

SPEEDxNASTY

Neo Member
Dat grill.

6194822609_a68d2eca8e_z.jpg

27getphotoas.jpg

26getphotoas.jpg

Yes its vinyls on the S2000, side exhaust included, not a bodykit.
So far we haven't seen any of the new full race bodykit conversion Dan talked about......

guest1321

eek5 said:
Just a heads up for people thinking about getting Forza season pass:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=446807

cheap ms points :)
I just hooked this up. Thanks for the tip. With tax it was $7.70 more than the season pass but will give me 1600 MS points to play with. Since the season pass covers six months(?), it's going to be nice having a little bit of flexibility beyond that without forcing myself to buy the season pass again.

EDIT: I guess I misread about the season pass. It looks like it is 12 months that you get access to 6 different packs. Either way, I'm sure it'll be too easy to blow through those 6 packs.

Doodis

AlanzTalon said:
The way i play on the controller, i shift with manual/clutch, and map the clutch the the "A" button, and up/down to X/B, so you can clutch with your thumb and get to X or B to shift in one motion. i can't see any reason that wouldn't work on the speed wheel.
This seems good, but hitting A/B at the same time seems like a stretch for the thumb. Maybe this isn't a big deal with the smaller buttons on the speed wheel. I'll have to try this out later today.

Another option would be to use the d-pad somehow. Perhaps they'll let us map that as the clutch. That would be nice.

Doodis

guest1321 said:
I just hooked this up. Thanks for the tip. With tax it was $7.70 more than the season pass but will give me 1600 MS points to play with. Since the season pass covers six months(?), it's going to be nice having a little bit of flexibility beyond that without forcing myself to buy the season pass again.

EDIT: I guess I misread about the season pass. It looks like it is 12 months that you get access to 6 different packs. Either way, I'm sure it'll be too easy to blow through those 6 packs.

At first I was pretty set on buying the season pass, but I think I'm going to hold off, especially if we can purchase individual cars. Out of the packs that I bought for FM3, I only ever cared to drive one or two of the cars.

shadowkhas

Neo Member
guest1321 said:
No, it's just the 6 packs until April 2012.

"Delivering 60 of the hottest cars to supplement your “Forza” experience, the six game add-ons included in the Season Pass offer will be released from November 2011 to April 2012"

guest1321

shadowkhas said:
No, it's just the 6 packs until April 2012.

"Delivering 60 of the hottest cars to supplement your “Forza” experience, the six game add-ons included in the Season Pass offer will be released from November 2011 to April 2012"

Are you sure? Is that not just the purchase period?

Forza.Motorsport.Net said:
The “Forza Motorsport 4” Season Pass is your action-packed ticket to six game add-on packs of the title’s downloadable content (DLC) as they’re released through the next year.
Link

shadowkhas

Neo Member
I got my info from the exact same link. :) It's phrased confusingly in the excerpt you posted.
"Throughout the next year" means the DLC will be released this year and some of next.

The most basic way I can reduce it to is: "the six game add-ons included[...]will be released from November 2011 to April 2012"

BCD2 said:
I thought the same thing too. "Ah ha, let journos test it on a track where steering angles are <45°! You can't fool me!" No, it works perfectly in slow corners as well. It's mimicking the ffb wheel, so 270° of lock, speed sensitive steering, etc.

I was doing nice tidy laps in Hungry in F1 '11 with it, which is pretty much the polar opposite of Bernese Alps.

I just grabbed the Speed Wheel on my lunch and was able to test it on Forza3 for about 20 minutes. The game does treat it as a wheel and there is an option to map the shift up/down to the face buttons so playing in manual will be possible. I just kept the stock settings for the wheel as I don't have enough expertise with them to fool with those advanced settings yet.

My verdict? I really like it. It is going to take some getting used to as I still over-correct too much and I have a bad habit of not returning it to center but the feel of it is leagues better than I ever anticipated. It allows for some very smooth and small inputs and I felt myself driving better within 15 minutes. I actually let my friend try it out for a bit too and now she is going to go buy herself one. It is really nice for the money and is a legit option for those without the cash/space for a full setup.

I am going to play with it more and test it on Driver and PGR4 tonight, but I am pleasantly surprised so far and feel it was easily worth the money.

guest1321

shadowkhas said:
I got my info from the exact same link. :) It's phrased confusingly in the excerpt you posted.
"Throughout the next year" means the DLC will be released this year and some of next.

The most basic way I can reduce it to is: "the six game add-ons included[...]will be released from November 2011 to April 2012"
Definitely poorly worded. I feel like a season pass should cover an entire year. So I'm hoping I have just misinterpreted the PR.

I know BADNED has mentioned something a while back about Microsoft trying to put together something to replace the american muscle car pack for the LCE since that is now obtainable by all through the season pass. I think if anything that would just allow you to get 7 car packs instead of the 6 assuming you have the LCE and Season pass. I wouldn't mind but I feel like they kinda offered that and then took it away from those of us that pre ordered the LCE.

Doodis said:
This seems good, but hitting A/B at the same time seems like a stretch for the thumb. Maybe this isn't a big deal with the smaller buttons on the speed wheel. I'll have to try this out later today.

Another option would be to use the d-pad somehow. Perhaps they'll let us map that as the clutch. That would be nice.

it really isnt that bad, but takes a bit of repetition. it is kind of a weird motion where you hit them at the same time. the downshift is easier. just kind of a quick mash of both gives you a grind-free shift.

Is it justified that I still purchase this game considering I only like to race 3-4 hours a week and I don't have a racing wheel and don't plan on getting one?

guest1321

Shortt Sirket said:
I just grabbed the Speed Wheel on my lunch and was able to test it on Forza3 for about 20 minutes. The game does treat it as a wheel and there is an option to map the shift up/down to the face buttons so playing in manual will be possible. I just kept the stock settings for the wheel as I don't have enough expertise with them to fool with those advanced settings yet.

My verdict? I really like it. It is going to take some getting used to as I still over-correct too much and I have a bad habit of not returning it to center but the feel of it is leagues better than I ever anticipated. It allows for some very smooth and small inputs and I felt myself driving better within 15 minutes. I actually let my friend try it out for a bit too and now she is going to go buy herself one. It is really nice for the money and is a legit option for those without the cash/space for a full setup.

I am going to play with it more and test it on Driver and PGR4 tonight, but I am pleasantly surprised so far and feel it was easily worth the money.
Is there a longer throw in the triggers? I was hoping this would be the case so as to allow for more modulation in the acceleration and breaking. I know they are bigger but I don't think that really provides a huge amount of control.

This isn't to say that the current modulation isn't enough, but more couldn't hurt right?

planar1280 said:
Is it justified that I still purchase this game considering I only like to race 3-4 hours a week and I don't have a racing wheel and don't plan on getting one?
I'm not as experienced as a lot of the other players in this thread but playing with a controller has been my go to (mainly because I can't afford a wheel). That being said as I am now getting speed wheel my opinion about the controller may change a little. I think it will be hard to only play 3-4 hours a week. I got Forza 3 recently and it is so hard to walk away from. I can only imagine that Forza 4 will be the same if not more so.

AlanzTalon said:
it really isnt that bad, but takes a bit of repetition. it is kind of a weird motion where you hit them at the same time. the downshift is easier. just kind of a quick mash of both gives you a grind-free shift.

Also very easy to jab the throttle on the downshifts as you roll from A to X. Sounds fantastic.

djm

planar1280 said:
That's pretty much the exact same way I approach Forza games, so yeah, I think so.

eek5

guest1321 said:
Is there a longer throw in the triggers? I was hoping this would be the case so as to allow for more modulation in the acceleration and breaking. I know they are bigger but I don't think that really provides a huge amount of control.
When I race in forza with controller I put my fingers at the top of the triggers where the LT/RT engraving is. You can press a lot harder without bottoming the trigger out so y ou have better control over it. If you want to go flat out you can slide your finger down too, works pretty well imo

guest1321 said:

This isn't to say that the current modulation isn't enough, but more couldn't hurt right?

It might be all in my head, but it definitely feels like there is a longer travel. My friend said the same thing too while playing, so I am going to say there is. For whatever reason it "feels" like you can modulate the triggers more than the original controller.

I have the Speed Wheel here at work with me so if anyone wants any specific pictures of it, just let me know.

caramac

BCD2 said:

Shortt Sirket said:

Cheers for the input, l will probably get this. It doesn't come out in the UK till the game launches.

planar1280 said:

Are you just going to play it for a month and then quit or is it going to be a go-to game? 3 hours a week still comes out to 156 hours in a year. I'd say it's worth it. I played GT5 for months, Forza 3 for months, and Forza 4 is going to be played for months too especially now that I have an awesome setup.

The Stig

p3tran said:
Dont know if posted already, here's the achievement list

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/forza-motorsport-4/achievements/

getting a unicorn through auction should be the hardest to do.

"Look Ma, No Controller! 5
Use Kinect to drive any car in Free Play. "

The list of achievements all look fine except THIS.

I am not buying a kinext for one achievement and I will not befriend someone who owns one just for this purpose.

I AM DISAPPOINT.

The Stig said:
"Look Ma, No Controller! 5
Use Kinect to drive any car in Free Play. "

The list of achievements all look fine except THIS.

I am not buying a kinext for one achievement and I will not befriend someone who owns one just for this purpose.

I AM DISAPPOINT.

"Finish 1st in every single race in the Event List in Career play mode."

Man, good luck with that one.

Oh, and

"Import a file from Forza Motorsport 3."

WTF?!? I have to buy a completely separate game now!??!?questionmarkrepeated

rocksteady1983 said:
You know you can rent FM3 if achievements are that important. Blows my mind at how upset people get at certain achievements.

I'm not serious at all. Achievements are a joke to me personally. I never "try" for them. I just think it's funny people say "I have to buy a Kinect!" just because they don't own one while nobody has mentioned "I have to buy Forza 3!" because for the most part they probably own it.

You know you can rent FM3 if achievements are that important. Blows my mind at how upset people get at certain achievements. They're fucking achievements. I have never gotten 1000/1000, doubt I ever will. I have way to many other games to go through than to try and play games over and over just to get a damn achievement. Some achievements are dumb, I get it.

guest1321

flyinpiranha said:
"Finish 1st in every single race in the Event List in Career play mode."

Man, good luck with that one.

Oh, and

"Import a file from Forza Motorsport 3."

WTF?!? I have to buy a completely separate game now!??!?questionmarkrepeated

I don't so much have a problem with this. I think it is cool that they reward players for their loyalty. If anything couldn't you rent the game, or find a friend that would let you borrow a copy to play the game.

I do however agree with you and most others on the kinect achievement. Since the kinect is only compatible with the slim consoles it seems unfair to make an achievement that requires you buy a kinect and possibly a console. But like most people are saying, 5 points in the grand scheme of things isn't that big of a deal. And even if there weren't achievements at all, I would still play the game. So its whatever at this point.

Minimaul said:
Good on you man!!

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
guest1321 said:
I don't so much have a problem with this. I think it is cool that they reward players for their loyalty. If anything couldn't you rent the game, or find a friend that would let you borrow a copy to play the game.

I do however agree with you and most others on the kinect achievement. Since the kinect is only compatible with the slim consoles it seems unfair to make an achievement that requires you buy a kinect and possibly a console. But like most people are saying, 5 points in the grand scheme of things isn't that big of a deal. And even if there weren't achievements at all, I would still play the game. So its whatever at this point.

Good on you man!!

You don't need a slim for Kinect.

Edit: Beaten

guest1321 said:

That's untrue. It will work with any 360.

EDIT: Damn, beaten a few times, that's what happens when you hit quote and get called away from your desk lol!

I guess I feel for the Achieve whores, but it doesn't seem like that big of a deal and like Dan even said, less than like 4% even got 100% and most people bitching probably didn't even get close.

Top Bottom