• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 4 - The Floodgates Have Opened...

So what tracks are there left to announce?

Anyone still holding out hope of them announcing a new track?

I note that the Bathurst 1000 race is on the weekend after next, and just a couple of days before the release of the game: http://www.bathurst1000.com.au/

Any conspiracy theorists think Turn 10 might be holding out an announcement on Bathurst to coincide with the race?

Yeah, regarding the presence of this game. Where is the marketing Microsoft? My store has 4 reservations on it. FOUR. They've sent no marketing to display and their site just spits out the "It's Kinect enabled for the HARDCORE!"

Turn Ten, do something about this. =(

Captain Bluey said:

I note that the Bathurst 1000 race is on the weekend after next, and just a couple of days before the release of the game: http://www.bathurst1000.com.au/

Any conspiracy theorists think Turn 10 might be holding out an announcement on Bathurst to coincide with the race?

Catalunya, Sedona, De la Sarthe, Sunset Penisula, Benchmark and Top Gear Soccer Field :D

Grassy

Shaneus said:
Wait... does that mean we won't be able to get the other cars at all... even by DLC? Jesus, the least they could do is throw one of those cars each in the first 5 packs they release. Pretty sure most of those cars aren't available as a preorder bonus *anywhere* in Australia.

I pre-ordered from EB who have the Alfa Romeo
JB Hifi have the Subaru WRX
GAME have the BMW M1
Mightyape have the JC Mini
Harvey Norman, Dick Smith etc don't seem to have LE's for sale.

Edit: Such a quandry. Preordered online, $95 plus Mini as preorder bonus. Risk receiving it later than launch. In-store B&M, $99 plus WRX as preorder. Guarantee having it at launch, possibly earlier if street date is broken. What do I do, GAF? I'd prefer the WRX, I think...

Did you order from, Mightyape? I can't find anywhere else over here that has the Mini. They are pretty quick with their shipping but I wouldn't count on getting it before the weekend.

EDIT:
Captain Bluey said:

Same thing happened with Forza 3 mate, they even had demos at the track on race weekend because of the inclusion of V8 Supercars and there was a lot of promotion of the game during that weekend but in the end there was no Bathurst in Forza 3 of course. It's the perfect opportunity but I think we'd know by now if Bathurst was in.

Seanspeed

Banned
flyinpiranha said:
Too wide.
Its really not. FOV and camera angle make things seem narrower or wider than they really are. Drive the Green Hell in a chase cam and you'll see that the car takes up much more space on the track than it seems in the 1st person views.

I've seen plenty of photo comparisons that show that Forza 3's version is actually quite accurate, width-wise at least.

Grassy,

I see that JB are now advertising the LE for $99, which is less than the original price they started with (about $119 if I remember correctly). See if EB can price match that, as they are now advertising the LE for $109.

Shaneus

Grassy said:
Did you order from, Mightyape? I can't find anywhere else over here that has the Mini. They are pretty quick with their shipping but I wouldn't count on getting it before the weekend.
Yeah, I don't really *want* the Mini, though... out of all of them, I want the WRX. Thinking I'll cancel with MA.

Captain Bluey said:
Grassy,

I see that JB are now advertising the LE for $99, which is less than the original price they started with (about $119 if I remember correctly). See if EB can price match that, as they are now advertising the LE for $109.
Ah, so that's why I went with Mighty Ape in the first place. I checked JB earlier and saw that it was only $100 for the LE but was sure that wasn't their originally advertised price. If I knew they were doing it that cheap I wouldn't have gone with MA.

adelante

commedieu said:
Only thing that stands out, the only thing...

The driver model is very, very poor. To a point of distraction. It looks like the visors, in every shot, have ambient light emitting from them. Its the only thing that ever makes my eye cringe. Second would be the falloff from environment, to image backdrop.

Outside of that, Turn10 is doing a very very good job getting their lighting in the realm of GT5. Few more tweaks to the shaders, and I'd say they are there. I think there is something to be said about the way PD studied the paint's angles of incidence. One of the shots, of the Italia GT looked like it could have been in GT5, the one everyone noted. FM3 was no where near it, but thats due to it not being an image based lighting system. You can really see the night and day appearance of F3 vs F4/Gt5. It really does look like Turn10 took some good notes on how to improve the games visuals.
"In the realm of GT5"??? Lol in some cases I'd say they've even exceed GT5, through subtle details in environmental lighting and how it contributes to the overall image. And I've never seen quality so consistent in all the photos released so far...above average at worst.

Shaneus

eso76 said:
yes and yes.
spoilers and in some cases bumpers can be removed.
YES! I love the look of a Supra minus the spoiler on the back. It can look a little ricey, but I like it.

BTW Thanks for the link eso, but YT is blocked at work :/

nagge

Better get all cleaning and cooking done for the week this weekend, I have a feeling those things will get neglected come Monday :D

Btw, who is setting up a GAF car club? I want in :)

Hawk269

U n i o n 0015 said:
Is the 'Ring going to have alternate time of day?

The fog looks depressing!

Agree...full daylight would be much better. Perhaps it is in the game or it can a "FREE" dlc. Can you imagine if T10 would charge for a Sunny Ring?

Iknos

adelante said:
"In the realm of GT5"??? Lol in some cases I'd say they've even exceed GT5, through subtle details in environmental lighting and how it contributes to the overall image. And I've never seen quality so consistent in all the photos released so far...above average at worst.
I agree with both of you. FM wasn't in the same realm when it comes to lighting. It is now.

And I do agree that there are some aspects of it that look even better than GT5. I have many of my GT5 pics as backgrounds at my work PC along with real life pics. I just put a 4za big shot pic that goes across my dual screens and it is easy to mistake it for a photograph. Just like some of my GT5 shots. Even though 4za has more detail on the tracks GT5s tracks look photoreal more often than not. So a lot of these awesome 4za pics look good because the pic taker chose a good part of the track to take the pic.

There are still areas for improvement. So it's not like T10 nailed it perfectly. Needs a few more tweaks and this game could look photoreal all the time.

But yeah the spec highlights and detail in reflections look a level above.

Question is how much of that shows in the game? Both games have great photomodes but in game you don't really get to see all of that. We'll see.

Hawk269

shinnn said:
Gamespot: Forza 4 Community and Multiplayer Q&A
http://www.gamespot.com/features/6337523/forza-4-community-and-multiplayer-qanda/index.html

some pics

997653_20110929_screen001.jpg

997653_20110929_screen002.jpg

997653_20110929_screen003.jpg

997653_20110929_screen004.jpg

This has been the most consistent set of shots I have together. Simply amazing.

Ok..serious questions here. How in the fuck did they do this. Forza 3 had 8 cars max, we are getting 12 in Single Player, 16 in MP and the visuals on EVERYTHING look alot better than F3. I mean did they find the mythical "4th Core" or what? It is really amazing that they advanced this much in that short of time frame. I guess this is what happens when developers get to really know the hardware. 3rd game from T10, they have learned well. Same with Gears 3, it shits all over Gears 1 & 2 visually.

Seanspeed said:
Its really not. FOV and camera angle make things seem narrower or wider than they really are. Drive the Green Hell in a chase cam and you'll see that the car takes up much more space on the track than it seems in the 1st person views.

I've seen plenty of photo comparisons that show that Forza 3's version is actually quite accurate, width-wise at least.
I'd prefer have it bumpier rather than narrower. Most Forza tracks feel almost impossibly flat.

saladine1

adelante said:
There's some truly amazing pics in the GT thread. When it comes to the realistic look, they are really hard to beat imo...

6196628973_eb69fca3b2_z.jpg

6197141862_85c35bb00d_z.jpg

Iknos

The vid with Clarkson talking about us being a dying breed is the best "ad".

Maybe it didn't have the flashing "kinect" stuff on screen that MS demands but it would have sold the game.

Love how MS is going after the casual market when GT5 has nearly 10 million sold. Here is a game that can do decent in Japan but hey guys "kinect integration".

Iknos said:
The vid with Clarkson talking about us being a dying breed is the best "ad".

It's really not. Its tone and content cater to the hardcore, but they're the ones who already know about the game and will probably be buying it. Wider audiences can't identify with the whole "dying breed" angle.

Mascot

U n i o n 0015 said:
Is the 'Ring going to have alternate time of day?

The fog looks depressing!

I think it looks awesome, very atmospheric. And personally I'm looking forward to the change from bright sun and blue skies that seems to be on every other track in the game.

Each circuit should have overcast conditions as an alternative. How hard would this be with IBL?

derFeef

I have to say there are some pretty impressive photos recently and I also prefer the now much improved Forza look compared to the "vaseline all over the car" look.

Can't wait for Monday, but also bummed that the demo is a 6 month old build again.

p3tran

Banned
The Stig said:
I have 1000 on F3. You can see my gamertag. None of the achievements look impossible to me except that one kinect achievement.
goodmorning stig :)
I have 100% completed f1 and f2, yet f3 I decided that the 80pts for completing the last 20something irrelevant races I'm missing just wasnt enjoyable enough for me at that time. so I stopped at 920pts. no problem there.
if you really care for the whole 1000 that much, its not impossible without purchase. just hook up a friends kinect once in your box or login once from a friend's console. shit, even give me your login details at some point and I'll run the game once for you, just so you get it.
but remember, forza-ability is reflected in the leaderboards, not in the gamertag ;)

ps. I like the beamer
getphoto3on9.jpg

SmokyDave

Is the BMW 1M exclusive to Best Buy?

I hope not because that would really, really piss me off. What's the point in modelling these cars if only a small percentage of players will ever get to use them? I couldn't pre-order from a Best Buy even if I wanted to.

saladine1

From FM.net
There's an interesting interview with Nick Wiswell I read in a copy of XBOX360 magazine I got last night. Here's a snippet :

“We have to control the car in driving conditions without moving around a track,” says Wiswell, “ that’s so that we’ve got no wind noise, no road noise, and it means we can use a variety of microphones all around the car. Some games are happy just to record in neutral. They’ll pull up on the track, hold it at a fixed RPM…..but you just don’t capture the real sound.”

He goes on to demonstrate both a neutral recording and a Dyno recording. He’s right; the difference is like giraffes and incubators.

Four microphones are placed behind each car so that exhaust recordings – dependant on the number of exhausts – can be recorded as stereo pairs.”We’ve got a close pair and a distant pair,” says Wiswell.”They’re different mikes with different perspectives; you get a slightly different sound with each one. It gives us some options and some additional ways to work it, to try and really capture the sound that everyone recognizes for each car.”

The separate recording of engine, exhaust, and intake is an essential tool to perfecting the final sound. “It means that when we implement it into the game, we can do so separately, so that it’s the game’s physics that are driving each one of those sounds independently. For example, the engine plays all the time, the exhaust changes character completely depending on whether you’re on/off throttle.

The intake is only making sound when you’re on the throttle, and when you’re on the throttle hard. So we can take the game’s physics parameters,feed those into the audio system and control all of those sounds exactly as we need to.”
Nick really loves his job but who can blame him?

Hyoushi

shinnn said:

zonda-pagani-r.jpg

Hehe. Damn, the doods who model the rims take a lot of shortcuts by reusing the front rims for the rears even in the cases where they are clearly asymmetrical on the real cars, such as this Zonda R, the F50, the Enzo and so forth.

nofi

Anyone know where to get the bigshots from? I uploaded one last night but can only see the normal shot on the site.

Top Bottom