• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5 |OT| Open wheel, tyre squeal, orange peel, dat next-gen feel

Ordered this last friday from *********** still hasn't arrived but have to wait 14 days before its officially "lost".

Browsing this thread and the knowledge long beach is there is fucking busting my balls.

Ordered this last friday from *********** still hasn't arrived but have to wait 14 days before its officially "lost".

Browsing this thread and the knowledge long beach is there is fucking busting my balls.
I know those feels. Am still waiting for my Target xbone+forza bundle to arrive here as well.

In the meantime though, am getting some last 24 hour GT6 Nordschleife runs in before the PS3 goes into the closet.

Mascot

In the meantime though, am getting some last 24 hour GT6 Nordschleife runs in before the PS3 goes into the closet.

Is GT6 worth a punt? I didn't even bite at £15 but I can use my wheel rig. I got on well with GT5 but mainly played arcade mode. Did they fix the tearing and framerate?

Fake edit: sorry for the slight OT, on no account should this turn into a cock-joust.

I grabbed the car and to tune it to max 500 for campaign racing put everything into larger, stickier tires to max the grip.

You tuned a 458 to C class?

sce5.png

What I got, though, was a car that pushed hard with annoying understeer but immediately broke loose in the back on throttle.

How did you manage understeer?

sce5.png

Is GT6 worth a punt? I didn't even bite at £15 but I can use my wheel rig. I got on well with GT5 but mainly played arcade mode. Did they fix the tearing and framerate?

Fake edit: sorry for the slight OT, on no account should this turn into a cock-joust.

Haven't played it but I'm sure it's worth £15.

From what I know which isn't a lot, no they didn't fix the framerate.

From what I know which isn't a lot, no they didn't fix the framerate.
This is correct if you want 1080p in cockpit view, which is how I roll.

Very much looking forward to Bathurst, Spa and Long Beach in 1080p@60fps (among others of course). Hopefully my Monday isn't taken up entirely by downloads and installs and updates.

Very much looking forward to Bathurst, Spa and Long Beach in 1080p@60fps (among others of course). Hopefully my Monday isn't taken up entirely by downloads and installs and updates.

If your internet isn't the fastest I would recommend unplugging the XB1 from the internet after the initial setup, to install the game from the disc. The game will install updates before installing the game, so if you unplug it and install the game first, you can at least play the game.

If the static time of day is no issue then they are all AAA jobs and fantastic to drive on, look and feel authentic. A step above Road America, Road Atlanta and Laguna Seca.

Could use some antialiasing though.

Mascot

Serious question:
I've often wondered, is "breaks" and "breaking" really how Americans spell "brakes" and "braking"?
Seen it used a lot on GAF but never noticed it elsewhere.

Serious question:
I've often wondered, is "breaks" and "breaking" really how Americans spell "brakes" and "braking"?
Seen it used a lot on GAF but never noticed it elsewhere.

Just bad grammar, and since its usually obvious what they mean no one turns grammar nazi.

Hawk269

Do you guys think this is all there is for April though? When they hinted at Road America, they did not use the same type of verbage. They have kept saying April will be a huge month for Forza 5. Don't get me wrong, getting a free track and one that has never been in Forza before is great, but it just seems like there is something else, something elusive...

BTW...Loving the new track. We need 3-4 more tracks and I would be pretty happy till Forza 6. I just like how Long Beach gives the game a much needed change of pace from the other tracks. First real city track in the game, so that makes it very unique.

Maple Valley, Nurb, Suzuka & Rio *from forza 1* would make me very happy until Forza 6 rolls out.

saladine1

Do you guys think this is all there is for April though? When they hinted at Road America, they did not use the same type of verbage. They have kept saying April will be a huge month for Forza 5. Don't get me wrong, getting a free track and one that has never been in Forza before is great, but it just seems like there is something else, something elusive...

BTW...Loving the new track. We need 3-4 more tracks and I would be pretty happy till Forza 6. I just like how Long Beach gives the game a much needed change of pace from the other tracks. First real city track in the game, so that makes it very unique.

Maple Valley, Nurb, Suzuka & Rio *from forza 1* would make me very happy until Forza 6 rolls out.

Forza is known for having a lot of fast flowing circuits. Long Beach is certainly a welcome change from the norm.
Great addition.

SarBear

You're part of the problem, I see. This track needs to go away.

Nordshleiffe, Behemoth, GP
Suzuka
Motegi
Infineon

And about 100 more cars and I'll give credit where it's due. Where the fuck is the Stingray? Where the fuck is the Fastback? Come the fuck on, Need For Speed has these.

B3N1

Anyone tried the 2h hour long Indycar race on Long Beach? Is's tons of fun, just did it for the 2nd time, now with friends. Are there any more events like this (even if a little less long)?

I enjoyed it much more than 2-3 lap races, where everything is decided after the first turn. Thinking of buying the Chevy Indycar too for boosting its manufacturer leveltomorrow.

Did some laps on long beach with my wheel,and damn do I need to buy a new rim. The plastic feeling of the stock TX rim is very distracting, such a downgrade from the leather on my Fanatec PTWS. I saw someone did a mod with Alcantara on the stock wheel but I think I would rather pony up the $120 rather than play arts and crafts with my free time.

Was going to wait till they released the pedals and shifter but god knows when that will be,

Devildoll

Anyone tried the 2h hour long Indycar race on Long Beach? Is's tons of fun, just did it for the 2nd time, now with friends. Are there any more events like this (even if a little less long)?

What? where do i find this?!

Edit: oh, first thing you see when you hit multiplayer... doh!

I think i might try this today, since we aren't going to be running the race league this week.
would anyone here be interested in joining me?

You're part of the problem, I see. This track needs to go away.

Nordshleiffe, Behemoth, GP
Suzuka
Motegi
Infineon

And about 100 more cars and I'll give credit where it's due. Where the fuck is the Stingray? Where the fuck is the Fastback? Come the fuck on, Need For Speed has these.

Mapple Valley have to go? WTF, its one of the classic Forza tracks, its need to be back, in fact most of the fantasy tracks need to come back because they are a huge part of Forza essence.
With Forza 5 the franchise have lost a lots of its personality, with the lack of the storefront, the auction house, franchise tracks, friends gifts, etc etc.
Now in many ways its feels like Shift or Supercar Challenge, etc , one of those racing games with just licensed track and a decent carlist but nothing especial, with little community features.

Forza 4 is miles ahead of Forza 5 in almost everything except the racing experience by itself. Turn10 has lots of work to do if the one to regain the fan´s love and the highest ranked franchise.....

SarBear

I thought you was being serious but then I saw you want some terrible cars back too.

Terrible cars? ........my finger is hovering over the eject button as we speak. I'd love to see Camino back and even Sedona, maybe even Almafi, but we all know the answer to that. Maple Valley is just awful.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
amalfi (long) >>>>>>>>>> fuji kaido >>> prague >> alps > maple valley

sarbear is right. maple valley is shit

Devildoll

amalfi (long) >>>>>>>>>> fuji kaido >>> prague >> alps > maple valley

sarbear is right. maple valley is shit

as a guy that runs without traction control, i hate the cobblestone of almafi,
fujimi kaido is fun, but not when you are running a thousand horsepower.
Prague... well i still have to get used to that, but i think maple valley is most attuned to my style of driving.

p3tran

Banned
so, what would you say if t10 at some point takes the most succesfull forza motorsport fantasy tracks and injects them at horizon's world as some of the tracks in horizon?
how about taking a right turn to leave the highway, following a small road full of automn trees, leading to horizon version of ...maple valley for that track event?

I mean, if I had one beef with horizon, that would have to be that its closed tracks maybe were not as precisely designed as fm's tracks (which is of course logical and expected).

so, t10 dropping fm fantasy tracks in horizon's world, I think that would hit two birds with one stone in my opinion: scratch my fm track nostalgia itch, while also ..advance(?) the level of precision for the closed tracks included in the game.

I think they may have already thought of something like this, as to my mind it makes lots of sense.

would you guys be happy if it went like that?

Et Tu drugstore?

Did you order that basher board? If so any issues using the clutch?

It's been sent out but hasn't left the states yet. Hopefully turn up some time this week.

Forza Horizon did a nice job on everything except memorable layouts, for me it's a downside of open world. Spent almost an entire day chipping away at my times on Long Beach on Saturday whereas I couldn't wait to burn through Horizon's and never replayed them.

Dropping old circuits into Horizon 2 is a great idea.

Forza Horizon did a nice job on everything except memorable layouts, for me it's a downside of open world.

It didn't have to be though. It's not as if Horizon was using a real road layout. Much as I like the game the devs could have done a much better job creating really memorable ribbons as part of the world - after all Monaco, Long Beach, Spa, Nurburgring etc. are open roads. There didn't seem to be any effort put into making fabulous racing venues that fitted into the road network.

And the way the road network linked together wasn't very good - no through route from the rocky mountains back down, it was a dead end, same with the loop over the large bridge. And there was no snowy mountain sections either.

p3tran

Banned
It didn't have to be though. It's not as if Horizon was using a real road layout. Much as I like the game the devs could have done a much better job creating really memorable ribbons as part of the world - after all Monaco, Long Beach, Spa, Nurburgring etc. are open roads. There didn't seem to be any effort put into making fabulous racing venues that fitted into the road network.

And the way the road network linked together wasn't very good - no through route from the rocky mountains back down, it was a dead end, same with the loop over the large bridge. And there was no snowy mountain sections either.

still a fantastic game, much more so than everything that it isn't fm or gt.
and probably for the guys that dont appreciate much sim-racing -but do like cars, horizon could easily top fm and gt for them too!

I am very looking forward to see what they are cooking. and lets not forget horizon was the first game on that direction, still lots of room for improvements etc.

and that leak (by mistake) that the ultima manufacturer did on their facebook page, about horizon coming this year... boy was I happy when i saw that thing :D

What I got, though, was a car that pushed hard with annoying understeer but immediately broke loose in the back on throttle. It also refused to brake with anything approaching the stopping power it seemingly should have.

I haven't driven anything like a 458 in real life; driving the stock 458 in Forza 5 with no ABS and no STM/TCS:
I find it stops on a dime, and I can be very aggressive with the throttle on corner exit, but not flat; when flat it does kick loose.

Edit: just screwed up the braking on a corner and had massive plow-y understeer-- it was really unexpected.

RoKKeR

Wow, Long Beach is super fun! A very different track than what is already in the game and I like it. It's an adrenaline rush to whip an Indy Car around it, put in about 20 laps in so far and my best time has been 1:16.899. Definitely feel like I can get it faster because the exits are killing me w/out TCS...I just don't have the patience haha

Edit: 1:14.412, realized you can keep it in 2nd through all of the corners! Makes it easier to go fast when you aren't spinning your wheels out of every corner.

Dropping old circuits into Horizon 2 is a great idea.

Wouldn't make a lick of sense though. It's a traveling music/car festival set in one location. Maybe one track if the location is near the fantasy track. But if the deep south is indeed the next location I wouldn't expect to see maple valley pop up. But Horizon 3 Japanese Nights with a Fuji you drive up to......*drool*

Top Bottom