• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5 |OT| Open wheel, tyre squeal, orange peel, dat next-gen feel

The CPX is powered by USB. I run it into my PC but you could just use a free port on the Xbox. Doesn't draw a lot of power.

Could just be the vibration that needs power and it is stronger than when plugged into a Fanatec wheel.

edit: USB does have to be plugged in at all times, pedals won't work without it.

Yeah that's a problem. My rig is in the middle of the room, and I really dont want to add more wires to the madness.

Yeah that's a problem. My rig is in the middle of the room, and I really dont want to add more wires to the madness.

Yeah it's a messy enough situation already here, another cable is just one more thing to step over but as they are running into the same machine you could cable tie them together.

bah! only one left? but my veneno? my '14 zr1?

Pick one, Mr Greedy.

You can't have both because 9/10 slots will be taken up by Forza 4 cars.

thundr51

Zorbs, why don't you explain just why the fuck your Drivatar tried to murder me at turn 3 of Prague? Fucking hell, what did I ever do to you? I gave you plenty of space, but noooooo, you wanted me dead. ;p

I thought this was just me!! I have video proof that p3tran has tried to run me off the road multiple times.

Game arrived yesterday.

Holy shit its good and by god its addictive.

Loving driveatar, makes so much sense and keeps the career mode interesting.

Hopefully more tracks to come too

Ah man my game just fucked up.

I bought a ton of cars as the money was piling up, fired up a race and there was a shit load of tearing, that's never ever happened then Forza reset.

I'm down to 29k and 40 or so cars left, hope save file is still good.

Also last night the audio was cracking bad.

Now Xbox won't boot up :(

Fucking p3tran.

p3tran

Banned
Ah man my game just fucked up.

I bought a ton of cars as the money was piling up, fired up a race and there was a shit load of tearing, that's never ever happened then Forza reset.

I'm down to 29k and 40 or so cars left, hope save file is still good.

Also last night the audio was cracking bad.

Now Xbox won't boot up :(

Fucking p3tran.

wowzers! hope your xbone survives for tomorrows races man! (saves I think are double stored in the clouds, so you are good there)

between me, the number of cars you bought, and dat custom pcb board you plugged in, I would start troubleshooting what is the cause from reverse order :p

Might have been that adapter, bit of a coincidence as the Xbox boots ok now. Game saves are good too!

Back on the wheel again though. At least if it all goes bad again I know what to look for.

I'm in for tomorrow too.

I thought this was just me!! I have video proof that p3tran has tried to run me off the road multiple times.
I was going to mention p3tran next. He comes outta nowhere, sprinting and weaving - and you can see the straight up murderous intent in his headlights as he rams you off the road and then speeds away.

But honestly its one of my friends that I haven't played with in a while that's the real menace. Every race I'm in this guy just rams roughshod through the whole pack, careening headlong into every turn and slamming into any cars there, and its so bad that I don't even mind ending up with a bronze or worse as long as I come in before that guy's Drivatar.

No bullshit: I've thought about de-friending him just to get his demolition derby drivatar ass off my tracks.

This game must have ended at least a few friendships.

I warned you. You just didn't listen. :)
I don't remember warnings about homicides. But yeah, I might not have listened anyway.

p3tran

Banned
hey guys, dont blame me. I can see my drivatar is only 73% sync'd. :p
I can also see in its stats that it even if it has run more 1.000 races, it has ZERO major collisions, so I dont know what all of you you're talking about :p
probably that it has 15,000 perfect turns and over 3,000 good passes?

it does say total (minor) car collisions ....4,379 though :pPPPppPP

I can also see in its stats that it even if it has run more 1.000 races, it has ZERO major collisions, so I dont know what all of you you're talking about :p

Damn, I had no idea it kept that information. Where is it located? I want to see how great (aka shitty) my drivatar is!

One thing this game needs - hell, what all cockpit-view driving games need - is those proximity warning arrows you get in GT6 when there's a car near you. If you're driving cockpit view in Forza its easy to miss a car creeping up on you, even when its completely flush with you on one side.

That option alone could make a world of difference when it comes to avoiding collisions.

That and headtracking in this still sucks. There's too much lag between when you lean to one side, (pause), and when the game finally swoops the camera to the side. It needs to be real-time one-to-one with some give, but right now its like you're basically inputting a command to "move camera right/left" by leaning quite a bit - that's not head tracking - that's some weird broken gestures-as-button press system.

I mention this all because somehow I just survived another race in Long Beach, though I might need some therapy. Long Beach and Yas Marina seem to be deathtraps with drivatars.

shandy706

^^Lean?

I haven't used head tracking in 5, but I swear slightly turning your head, not leaning, was how you do it in 4.

May be wrong??

You are right actually. The head tracking seems to have been better in Forza 4 than it is in 5. Quite disappointing really.
It certainly doesnt work for my head, on my comfy couch, but maybe it works in a whole custom wheel/chair setup where you're position is more fixed? I dunno, but anything that'd help provide more peripheral information would be beneficial.

I just have to get more used to visually checking my sides and rear-view angles and drawing a smoother curve to my braking to better avoid collisions. I was going to call out the ghost of p3tran for slamming me into the tires in long Beach, but went I went back to the tape I could see that it was my slamming of the brakes that was the real problem.

So you win this time, p3tran. This time...

And most other times too by my count ;p

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
One thing this game needs - hell, what all cockpit-view driving games need - is those proximity warning arrows you get in GT6 when there's a car near you. If you're driving cockpit view in Forza its easy to miss a car creeping up on you, even when its completely flush with you on one side.

That option alone could make a world of difference when it comes to avoiding collisions.

havent played gt6, but i always wonder why more (any?) games didn't adopt the daytona "map" system for this. would do wonders for car awareness.

1074679280.jpg

Devildoll

I don't think that is the drivatar's stats, i think that this is your personal data that then determines how the drivatar should act.

Mascot

It certainly doesnt work for my head, on my comfy couch, but maybe it works in a whole custom wheel/chair setup where you're position is more fixed? I dunno, but anything that'd help provide more peripheral information would be beneficial.

There really is no other solution but to build a dedicated triple-screen racing cockpit. You can tell your wife you've practically been forced into it.

Devildoll

How do you increase drivatar sync? Been at 43% for some time now. Kinda curious if it would make a difference though.

Just run a few laps on each circuit layout.

if you go to main -> forza profile -> my drivatar, you will find a breakdown per track, of how synced it is.

just race the ones you are low in, to bring up your overall sync.
It doesnt seem like you need to be racing different kinds of cars on a particular track for it to get 100%, i just ran a 5 lap race and then i challenged a ghost on Bernese alps Stadtplatz Reverse in the R900 Viper, all in all maybe 8 laps.
And that brought the sync from 0 to 100% on that particular track.

Yeah, especially long beach has a lot of treacherous corners.

dont worry too much about the mic.
Just post all your apologies in the thread after the race ;)

There's no look left/buttons on the wheel this time around, playing bonnet or bumper cam leaves huge blind spots and I was having to lift and drop back just to see if anybody was beside me.

thundr51

Ok, just finished a session (missed you guys AGAIN! Dang SSD installation) and I've noticed that I can get a decent amount of "good turns" but I'm wondering what IS a "good turn", what is a "perfect turn". Any ideas? Mostly looking to get better at driving, but it would be nice to know what I did good so I can repeat it.

Ok, just finished a session (missed you guys AGAIN! Dang SSD installation) and I've noticed that I can get a decent amount of "good turns" but I'm wondering what IS a "good turn", what is a "perfect turn". Any ideas? Mostly looking to get better at driving, but it would be nice to know what I did good so I can repeat it.

Outside-inside-outside— you start at the outside of the track, turn in, hit the apex of the turn, hit the outside of the track as you exit. Read more. The game's built-in racing line is decent, though not optimized for any particular car's characteristics.

zorbsie

Fantastic racing fellas. Canadian mafia grows by one this week. Welcome home Devildoll. lol. Here are the current standings. Drugstore had a good first run jumping several racers. Hopefully you can make it out again in the coming weeks. Not sure what we are racing next week, I have a few ideas but nothing concrete. If you guys want to request anything let me know.

P3tran____________467
BIGT468__________289
Scr0ne___________284
CrudeDiatribe______281
dead poul_________253
Zorbs_____________235
SoundScream13____230
Block Mate________164
Schuey F1________ 153
Shortt Sirket_______137
Sp4ceman Sp1ff____123
FrontierUK_________28
CoProxamolKid_____26
Phleg01___________23
Soggy Naan________19
Muerte X___________14
Thundr_____________8
Munish Thiara_______6
Sleep8_____________1

Last call for time trial times. GT class R900 on Catalunya Grand Prix, Road Atlana and Long Beach. I'll post the undated time trail standing tomorrow.
Will try to jump in on these soon - am still working through the career and didn't have any of those cars, but am level 55 already and bringing in the credits. I'm enjoying taking each challenge one at a time and getting to know my car's qualities through each championship run.

Any advice on how should I approach rivals? Focus on the monthlies or just toss my hat into the ring on random time trials?

I like that idea. I'll put together a list of car that fit that requirement.

Last call for time trial times. GT class R900 on Catalunya Grand Prix, Road Atlana and Long Beach. I'll post the undated time trail standing tomorrow.

Also we should do the Miatas again for old times sake someday

Spades

Guys! I'm back!

Whilst I was away getting banned, I contributed to making this thing of beauty (sorry Short, no M3's here):

tumblr_n4didfukwJ1qiv7luo3_500.jpg

Luckily she follows her mother.

Anyway, I'm back and eager to get racing with you guys again so I'll see y'all on Sunday.

Oh and how awesome is Trials Fusion?!

p3tran

Banned
fusion is awesome, but what you have done there is like the most awesomest thing! :D
congrats my friend!! I wish her all the health and luck in the world!

zorbsie

Guys! I'm back!

Whilst I was away getting banned, I contributed to making this thing of beauty (sorry Short, no M3's here):

Congrats Spades! She's a real cutie.

Trails is awesome, but I hate everyone on my friends list that plays it and destroys my times. It's not enough to just beat the level, now I have to no fault it and do it faster than you guys. Impossible. lol

Soundscream, the Miata's would be fun too. But I don't remember the setup we had to have as a base. I know it was a roll cage but not sure on anything else.

Top Bottom