• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5 |OT| Open wheel, tyre squeal, orange peel, dat next-gen feel

She used to play console games a long time ago, Daytona on the Saturn and PSO on the Dreamcast but these days it's all crappy mobile games.

Ahh, I feel ya. Liz plays mainly sim games on her laptop attached to the TV. So while I am playing Forza or Dark Souls, she is usually playing Civ 5/ Tropico / SimCity / The Sims. And then we play games like Borderlands and such together. It is a pretty nice setup!

HeliosT10

Anyone live near the Long Beach circuit? :)

4Ckjbq1.jpg

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Garnett is on twitter is ranting with regards to how higher performance cars handle in Forza 5 with respect to GT6 (such as the 458). Since I have not played GT6, I can't compare. Need to take the 458 for a spin.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Who's Garnett?

And what was his summation?

Garnett Lee if the former host of 1UP Yours and Weekend Confirmed, etc.

Here are a bunch of quotes, newest to oldest.

GT6 infinitely more fun to drive but of course the racing is a joke. Sigh

GarnettLee ‏@GarnettLee · 8h
I should have a notebook here so I can log how many times I've said "it's not fun" #forza5

The midrange cars is been driving I thought felt that way too but with the hp cranked up it's a mess

GarnettLee ‏@GarnettLee · 9h
Yeah, not going to pull any punches. In high perf cars, if the 458 is typical, Forza 5's handling model is a super slidy evil mistress

GarnettLee ‏@GarnettLee · 9h
Pretty much just sitting here cursing at it #forza5

Yeah, this has about deflated all the fun from the game for me. It shouldn't be floating around like it has no connection to the ground

Garnett is on twitter is ranting with regards to how higher performance cars handle in Forza 5 with respect to GT6 (such as the 458). Since I have not played GT6, I can't compare. Need to take the 458 for a spin.

The 458 with all aids off truly is a slippery little bastard in FM5. I prefer to drive my cars stock, or as close to it as possible, which limits the tuning I can do, but lowering both the front tire pressure and accel/decel differential values helped dial out some oversteer. It's still a handful at times, mind you, but the rear isn't quite as prone to stepping out as it is with the default setup.

gsrjedi

I doubt he drove the real 458 with all the aids off, which is why it's really hard to give credence to statements like that.

Most of my cars have grip tunes and aero upgrades, maybe he's onto something but putting "458 crash" into Google images yields plenty of results.

I don't know how to feel about all this.

I doubt he drove the real 458 with all the aids off, which is why it's really hard to give credence to statements like that.

This. And folks tend to drive virtual cars too quick compared to being in the real one.

He probably drove the car with all or most of Ferrari's clever electronic hand holding on.

ElNino

I wish I was better at tuning. Been playing racing games for a long ass time and I still suck at it.
Same with me, I've never really spent any time figuring out how to tune properly.

99% of the time I just drive the cars default config or I grab a shared tune.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
This. And folks tend to drive virtual cars too quick compared to being in the real one.

He probably drove the car with all or most of Ferrari's clever electronic hand holding on.

Sometimes when I'm struggling with a car I take a look at my actual speed going through the corners and I'm like woah!

Sometimes when I'm struggling with a car I take a look at my actual speed going through the corners and I'm like woah!

I find the camera a little loose and spongy (although the new motion effects are great) and it numbs the sensation of grip and speed forcing me to watch the dials rather than feeling whether I'm going too fast or not.

HeliosT10

If you're a fan of G Rom's work, I'm going to be featuring him in an upcoming edition of my "In Focus" article on the ForzaMotorsport.net website. Should be good :)

gsrjedi

I also took some photos while waiting for LB to drop

I had to give the 458 a go to see what the fuss was about

- tried an HDR

Snubbers

Loving Long beach, I checked just after 8:30 and it had already downloaded! The track is quite fun, having the walls nice and close!

Did a cheeky #1 time (B Class Time Attack), it won't last long!!!

And finally just broke into the Top 10 on the Stigs Digi Cuz rivals challenge.. SOB was damn fast.. it's such a PITA trying to string the perfect lap together, I can see where I can get another .200 - .300 extra if the gods smile on me..

jcutner

So it's listed as a track to race on in the Rivals messaging screen. I choose it, I try to load it, then it hangs on a spinning wheel at "Purchase Options"

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
So it's listed as a track to race on in the Rivals messaging screen. I choose it, I try to load it, then it hangs on a spinning wheel at "Purchase Options"

yeah, me too. Just need to wait for the update to kick in. The booster car pack is also in the store.

G Rom

Thanks for the comments guys.
Long Beach still hasn't dropped for me even but the Rivals mode is now teasing me about it... :(

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Thanks for the comments guys.
Long Beach still hasn't dropped for me even but the Rivals mode is now teasing me about it... :(

just got home from work and running into issues trying to get long beach. at least its not just an isolated issue with me. i see it in rivals but it just sits at a loading screen for purchasing options. also tried going into game details from the dash to look at DLC but all i see is the long beach car pack.

ugh, whats going on? dying to play

jcutner

just got home from work and running into issues trying to get long beach. at least its not just an isolated issue with me. i see it in rivals but it just sits at a loading screen for purchasing options. also tried going into game details from the dash to look at DLC but all i see is the long beach car pack.

ugh, whats going on? dying to play

cold boot your xbone, unplug it et cetera
that's what did it for me

Finally got the update to go through. The new Achievements are a nice touch.

Can't say enough good things about Long Beach. It's a refreshing change of pace, and I'm beyond pleased to finally have a proper street circuit in FM5. It's every bit as claustrophobic as it appears on TV, with some brutal bumps, and the sound of the engines reverberating off the concrete barriers and under the overpasses is spine-tingling stuff.

Iffy download availability aside, job well done, Turn 10. Really happy with this.

Top Bottom