• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5 |OT| Open wheel, tyre squeal, orange peel, dat next-gen feel

ABS off? I have driven the 458 many times, always with no assist and have never run into understeer.

Yeah, ABS off. I'm sure I locked it up, but it wasn't as immediately obvious as on some cars. Was on the first left on Long Beach, with the long run-off area into the tires. Maybe I was distracted by one of the strip shows we in Forza GAF get all the time.

In general it feels like a really tame fast car, unlike say, the C6 ZR1. (as an aside, really wish the C6 Z07/Z06 Carbon was in the game instead for my Corvette fix until the C7 gets DLC'd).

Wouldn't make a lick of sense though. It's a traveling music/car festival set in one location.

You could transplant some of the ribbons though, and apply whatever thematic visuals fit the geography. Would any of the Maple Valley detractors here honestly say that any of the ribbons in Forza Horizon were better race tracks than it? There were some great roads in Horizon, but the circuit races felt off.

Yeah, ABS off. I'm sure I locked it up, but it wasn't as immediately obvious as on some cars. Was on the first left on Long Beach, with the long run-off area into the tires. Maybe I was distracted by one of the strip shows we in Forza GAF get all the time.

JQB7k.gif

zorbsie

Finally got to take a spin on Long Beach. Love it! It'll be fun to drive this weekend with the crew. That last turn is a real pain in every class for me. I guess I need more practice on it.

And since it's a few pages back I thought I'd repost this.
league_week14piuox.png

GT Racing goodness
Restrictions will be GT body type Max class R900.
2006 Aston Martin #007 Aston Martin Racing DBR9
2009 BMW #92 Rahal Letterman Racing M3 GT2
2011 Chevrolet #4 Corvette Racing ZR1
2011 Ferrari #62 Risi Competizione F458 Italia
2013 Viper #91 SRT Motorsport GTS-R

Tracks will be Catalunya Grand Prix, Road Atlanta and Long Beach.

As always everyone is welcome to join.

Finally got to take a spin on Long Beach. Love it! It'll be fun to drive this weekend with the crew. That last turn is a real pain in every class for me. I guess I need more practice on it.

And since it's a few pages back I thought I'd repost this.
league_week14piuox.png

GT Racing goodness

As always everyone is welcome to join.

I really hope I can make it. Liz and I aren't religious but my whole family is, so we will be doing some Easter stuff that day.

Great cars and great tracks make me REALLY want to make it.

zorbsie

I really hope I can make it. Liz and I aren't religious but my whole family is, so we will be doing some Easter stuff that day.

Great cars and great tracks make me REALLY want to make it.

I thought this would be a problem with some folks so when I posted this the first time I mentioned changing it to Saturday. No one responded. I too am not religious but I'll probably be at my cousin's house enjoying lamb on Sunday. I don't really want to postpone the race another weekend.

Thoughts are always welcome from the group. What do you guys think? Saturday races instead of Sunday this week?

I thought this would be a problem with some folks so when I posted this the first time I mentioned changing it to Saturday. No one responded. I too am not religious but I'll probably be at my cousin's house enjoying lamb on Sunday. I don't really want to postpone the race another weekend.

Thoughts are always welcome from the group. What do you guys think? Saturday races instead of Sunday this week?

Saturday would probably work, but we have the kids this weekend so it can be hit or miss. Don't switch anything just for me, because nothing this weekend is sure.

If any of you couch mechanics are interested, Mechanic Simulator 2014 is only $10 on Steam and it looks pretty decent.

Let us know how it works, might want to invest since thrustmaster is busy doing stuff.......

Yeah I'll edit this post when I get a minute to test it.

Tried just now and the Xbox needed an update. Just cleaning up the CSP while I wait. I like the open design but they are full of grease, dust and hair.

Ok just tested it. Clutch works great, ABS vibration too.

I haven't messed with the gain settings on the adapter yet, from what I've read that's just for fine tuning.

Finally got my Xbone+Forza bundle. Yeah!

And then the power brick fried after 30 minutes. Sounded like a woodchipper and wafted the smell of burnt plastic. Had to bring it in for a replacement the next day an hour out of town (none of the other stores had any in stock).

But the second time was the charm, and I now have Forza back in the ole living room, just in time for the birthday. Gorgeous game is gorgeous and I know it'll be my new addiction for some time to come. And holy hell is it hard - am running with the controller, cockpit view, no assists except for ABS, steering on normal, no driving lines, AI on medium and Drivatars on Pro and have gotten nowhere even close to a podium finish. The cars seem far more difficult to keep planted and I'm using a lot more counter-steer than I'm used to, even when trying to drive a smooth line. But regardless its been fun racing, even if dangerous.

But still, its beautiful to look at, both in terms of design and fidelity. And that audio. Hnnnnnggg. So good.

Mascot

Gorgeous game is gorgeous and I know it'll be my new addiction for some time to come. And holy hell is it hard - am running with the controller, cockpit view, no assists except for ABS, steering on normal, no driving lines, AI on medium and Drivatars on Pro and have gotten nowhere even close to a podium finish. The cars seem far more difficult to keep planted and I'm using a lot more counter-steer than I'm used to, even when trying to drive a smooth line. But regardless its been fun racing, even if dangerous.

But still, its beautiful to look at, both in terms of design and fidelity. And that audio. Hnnnnnggg. So good.
Ooh... Nice enthusiasm. My wallet twitched for a second then I remembered I'll be paying a horrible number of thousands of pounds for my newly-installed windows tomorrow.

Maybe when more tracks appear...

Devildoll

whey, looks like they finally opened up the marketplace in game.

While it is nice that you don't need to go out to the dashboard to buy dlc anymore, i want the kind of marketplace where i can sell cars to other people.

zorbsie

whey, looks like they finally opened up the marketplace in game.

While it is nice that you don't need to go out to the dashboard to buy dlc anymore, i want the kind of marketplace where i can sell cars to other people.

Wait, the marketplace is just a way to buy DLC? Why would that take so long to implement? WOW.

Still want to get the season pass

Maybe when more tracks appear...
Yeah, I'll say this game gives an amazing first impression. Menus are slick, you get tossed right into that first test race in Prague, etc. And the uptick in difficulty is a welcome one, at least so far.

Its too early to know when or if the thinner content on offer here will start to rankle. But at least in the early going all the tracks feel new with their fresh coat of graphical niceties, all the additional trackside detail, and the actual driving physics changes forcing me to pay even more attention to the feedback I'm getting from the car as well as to fully commit to my inputs to keep things stable. That and new course like Yas Marina and Long Shore and Prague are fun to experience for the first time.

Ask me again how I'm feeling in a month or two ;p

(right now I just want to jump back in)

p3tran

Banned
Tempted to get the season pass too but I'm gonna hold out a few more weeks to see if the super pass is officially denied/dropped.
I would guess the super pass is long gone.I think it would make sense to launch it alongside one of the dlc tracks, if there was still such a plan.
and anyway, I think LCE+VIP+SEASON PASS are enough for the fans to show their appreciation and support for each title. doesnt make much sense trying to force more than that..would feel like nickel & diming, as we discussed many moths ago.

so I suggest to go get the season car pack and enjoy ;)

(right now I just want to jump back in)
hehe I know the feeling :)
whats your gamertag?

Devildoll

Wait, the marketplace is just a way to buy DLC? Why would that take so long to implement? WOW.

Still want to get the season pass

I'm guessing it might have looked bad if there was just one item on the entire marketplace.
so they waited until they had it populated.

I'm sure the implementation between a brand new game and console marketplace needs to be thoroughly tested before set live as well, so that no money-glitches occur.

zorbsie

I'm guessing it might have looked bad if there was just one item on the entire marketplace.
so they waited until they had it populated.

I'm sure the implementation between a brand new game and console marketplace needs to be thoroughly tested before set live as well, so that no money-glitches occur.

Makes sense. I'm just bummed its not what I wanted it to be. Buying and selling cars/tunes/designs/decals. I guess this means we won't be getting that in FM5. Hopefully it returns in FM6.

Nullpointer, you going to join us for weekend races?

p3tran

Banned
NullPointer256

Always up for some rivals, though I definitely need some time to come to grips (literally) with these handling changes.
ok, i sent you. you have to send back so my ghost will popup in your boards to rival with. and when you have messed around a bit and start to feel little comfortable we take it online with the gang here. also see zorbs's post about gaf time trials.

also
guys with wheels: write your settings

Nullpointer, you going to join us for weekend races?
Sounds like fun but it wouldn't be for a while yet. I still have to work out a proper sound+mic solution too - and am trying to space out peripheral purchases. That stuff adds up really quick.

Have a three-way optical switch shipping my way though, which will hopefully allow me to use my Astros for both the PS4 and Xbone without having to muck with the cables in the back end of these consoles. Gotta be able to bounce between Forza and Warframe easily, ya know? (and I can also pipe in PC audio at the same time for custom soundtrack support until both the consoles wise up and get their DLNA shit sorted.)

But for now, I'm up for Rivals, though of course I'm still making my way through the basics of career too. Thanks to Forza rewards credits I've already picked up a Ford GT, Italia 458 and an Ariel Atom along with a few gift cars and am looking forward to putting them through the paces.

ok, i sent you. you have to send back so my ghost will popup in your boards to rival with.
Will do once this agonizingly slow workday ends :)

Redshirt

Banned
I knew what to expect with the marketplace but was disappointed regardless.

At any rate, I purchased the car pass at launch. All the DLC cars show as purchased in the marketplace, but only several of the car packs are marked accordingly.

I'm guessing this is a lingering issue from the change in the way DLC was distributed to car pass holders. It's only a minor annoyance, but I hope they correct it.

zorbsie

Nullpointer, Here is a list of ForzaGAF players if you want to add some for rivals times. I can add you if you want to be added to the list. And like P3tran said the weekly races all have time trials that we keep track of. So if you can't join us for races on the weekend post your times for the tracks with the specified car. When you are happy with the time PM your final times I'll post results Sunday/Monday.

That goes for anyone new to the thread. Join in the fun, we don't bite. Just watch out for the Canadian mafia who attack with sweet sweet maple syrup.

Speaking of weekend races, we are racing on Saturday 2pm Eastern. Sunday is lamb day and I won't miss that for anything. I'll post the banner and day if we get to the next page before then so everyone sees it.

Nullpointer, Here is a list of ForzaGAF players if you want to add some for rivals times. I can add you if you want to be added to the list. And like P3tran said the weekly races all have time trials that we keep track of. So if you can't join us for races on the weekend post your times for the tracks with the specified car. When you are happy with the time PM your final times I'll post results Sunday/Monday.

That goes for anyone new to the thread. Join in the fun, we don't bite. Just watch out for the Canadian mafia who attack with sweet sweet maple syrup.

Speaking of weekend races, we are racing on Saturday 2pm Eastern. Sunday is lamb day and I won't miss that for anything. I'll post the banner and day if we get to the next page before then so everyone sees it.

Right on man, I really hope I can make it.

zorbsie

Alright, you've been added. Most of the people on there have put some serious time in the game so you should find loads to compete with.

This game is too fucking good.

The career is the best I've played in a racer, with a nice mix of mini-leagues that you can keep your same car throughout if you want (and I usually do), or you can explore similar makes and models for their own set of events with a solid set of linear events as well as just as many optional bonus events if you choose to keep going. Rivals is integrated into absolutely everything (as it should be), and absolutely everything in the game ties into the xp and credits progression system - so even my 7-10 lap free runs to learn the ins and outs of the handling, the tracks and the cars (while listening to podcasts or music) earns me rewards and affinity, *and* puts my best time up on the leaderboard. Forza 4 did a lot of this, but F5 shows fewer seams between it all.

I know that Forza 4's autovista was mostly a gimmick but I also love that everything here is presented at that level of quality - every last car, and there's no load time between the main menu and slipping into the autovista gawk-mode for your car - they are one and the same.

Finally, this is the only racing game I've played yet where I glean just as much enjoyment out of the racing as I do with free running time trials. Drivatars make things bonkers, especially in the beginning of the race, but I'd absolutely rather that personality and friend's list integration rather than AI that mindlessly runs on rails and cheats to make you look like the hero.

The only drawback of Drivatars: You know how your girlfriend or wife might wake up in the morning seething pissed at you because you were an asshole in her dream? And then lets that dark cloud and those evil eyes linger on you for the rest of the morning? I kind of get that effect here, to whit: Zorbs, why don't you explain just why the fuck your Drivatar tried to murder me at turn 3 of Prague? Fucking hell, what did I ever do to you? I gave you plenty of space, but noooooo, you wanted me dead. ;p

Yeah, basically I'm fucked. This game owns me entirely right now and that's just with the hot hatches and super-minis. God help me once I get some supercar action going.

One question though - there seems to be slim pickings when it comes to community designs for cars - the system bubbles up livery recommendations, but only about 10 or so in all without then relying upon the keyword search. Do we have any regular GAF designers for F5? H3rtz or m0dus or others? How do you find their stuff and keep tabs on their new designs? Or is that system a work in progress?

Mascot

One question though - there seems to be slim pickings when it comes to community designs for cars - the system bubbles up livery recommendations, but only about 10 or so in all without then relying upon the keyword search. Do we have any regular GAF designers for F5? H3rtz or m0dus or others? How do you find their stuff and keep tabs on their new designs? Or is that system a work in progress?

Yeah, I'm interested in this as well. Didn't Turn 10 bork the livery side by reducing incentives to produce them? I seem to remember something about this. Putting a good racing livery on my car (usually from H3rTz) was one of the first things I did in FM3 & 4.

Yeah, I'm interested in this as well. Didn't Turn 10 bork the livery side by reducing incentives to produce them? I seem to remember something about this. Putting a good racing livery on my car (usually from H3rTz) was one of the first things I did in FM3 & 4.

Yeah something like that seems to have happened. Although there's still some great work up there I haven't really bothered with designs as the low resolution of them stands out more than ever.

p3tran

Banned
This game is too fucking good.

The career is the best I've played in a racer, with a nice mix of mini-leagues that you can keep your same car throughout if you want (and I usually do), or you can explore similar makes and models for their own set of events with a solid set of linear events as well as just as many optional bonus events if you choose to keep going. Rivals is integrated into absolutely everything (as it should be), and absolutely everything in the game ties into the xp and credits progression system - so even my 7-10 lap free runs to learn the ins and outs of the handling, the tracks and the cars (while listening to podcasts or music) earns me rewards and affinity, *and* puts my best time up on the leaderboard. Forza 4 did a lot of this, but F5 shows fewer seams between it all.

I know that Forza 4's autovista was mostly a gimmick but I also love that everything here is presented at that level of quality - every last car, and there's no load time between the main menu and slipping into the autovista gawk-mode for your car - they are one and the same.

Finally, this is the only racing game I've played yet where I glean just as much enjoyment out of the racing as I do with free running time trials. Drivatars make things bonkers, especially in the beginning of the race, but I'd absolutely rather that personality and friend's list integration rather than AI that mindlessly runs on rails and cheats to make you look like the hero.

The only drawback of Drivatars: You know how your girlfriend or wife might wake up in the morning seething pissed at you because you were an asshole in her dream? And then lets that dark cloud and those evil eyes linger on you for the rest of the morning? I kind of get that effect here, to whit: Zorbs, why don't you explain just why the fuck your Drivatar tried to murder me at turn 3 of Prague? Fucking hell, what did I ever do to you? I gave you plenty of space, but noooooo, you wanted me dead. ;p

Yeah, basically I'm fucked. This game owns me entirely right now and that's just with the hot hatches and super-minis. God help me once I get some supercar action going.

yeap, game is very fantastic alright, well worth hundreds of hours if you are into such games. nice writeup of first impressions too :)

now, the best reasoning for the changes in the storefront & auction house, is probably that they became a vessel to circulate haxored cars during the last period of 360 - forza4, so maybe they are re-thinking the system. (assumption from my part).

for the time being you have to search for what you want (livery, tune, logo) and yes the liveries that the game brings you up by default is only a selection of a dozen or something.
good thing is that when you find a paint or a tune you really like, you can "favorite" the creator from within the game, and by doing so if he has done a tune or a livery on any next car you have, his work will popoup in the initial small list of recommendations, with the description saying "followed creator" or something in the lines of that. so if you find enough creators that you like and follow/favorite them, then after a while even that initial bubble of recommendations will be very useful, since it will bring up avalable stuff from persons you favorited, along with some t10 favorites.
ah, and user created logos and stencils, you can find them too under one tab in the decals sections.
not as good as the storefront was right now, but all the stuff is still there.

Got the car pass, buying them all was a chore when you can't skip the animation and voice over but it would have been quicker had I realised I could filter out cars I already owned earlier.

p3tran

Banned
Got the car pass, buying them all was a chore when you can't skip the animation and voice over but it would have been quicker had I realised I could filter out cars I already owned earlier.
good! now I hope helios doesnt announce a super-extra pass for forza and you getting pissed at me ;D

I reckon you were right though, if there was a super pass I'm sure it would have contained RA, Long Beach and possibly Monza. They've done well to reverse some of the criticism, from what we know there's only a couple more circuits to go and the recent interview said only laser scanned tracks from now on...but we know how that can be spun.

Now watch one get announced.

How many more car packs are left btw?

zorbsie

Reposting this for the new page.
league_week14ba2i3x.png

GT Racing goodness

As always everyone is welcome to join. If you can't join us then time trails is for you.
Use the same cars on the same tracks and post your times. PM me your final times to be included in the weekly standings.

Some Long Beach gifs (extra for this thread)
ibgrHBOudVUHoo.gif

Nice work. I hadn't seen the replays for Long Beach yet. Looks like some interesting angles and pans there.

I warned you. You just didn't listen. :)
You can try to increase the difficulty. The higher it is set to the better/less crazy the drivatars will be.

^^^^^

Canadian Mafia claims another victim.

I tried to warn him. lol

Ok just tested it. Clutch works great, ABS vibration too.

I haven't messed with the gain settings on the adapter yet, from what I've read that's just for fine tuning.

How do you have it plugged in?

My wheel is a good 4 ft away from a outlet & I think its powered through USB, so im not sure how I would work it out.

One more is left and covered by the Car Pass and is coming May 6th.

Thanks, I hope it's a good one then!

How do you have it plugged in?

My wheel is a good 4 ft away from a outlet & I think its powered through USB, so im not sure how I would work it out.

The CPX is powered by USB. I run it into my PC but you could just use a free port on the Xbox. Doesn't draw a lot of power.

Could just be the vibration that needs power and it is stronger than when plugged into a Fanatec wheel.

edit: USB does have to be plugged in at all times, pedals won't work without it.

Top Bottom