• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5 |OT| Open wheel, tyre squeal, orange peel, dat next-gen feel

Congrats Spades! She's a real cutie.

Trails is awesome, but I hate everyone on my friends list that plays it and destroys my times. It's not enough to just beat the level, now I have to no fault it and do it faster than you guys. Impossible. lol

Soundscream, the Miata's would be fun too. But I don't remember the setup we had to have as a base. I know it was a roll cage but not sure on anything else.

I am pretty sure roll cage, racing tires and full weight reduction? But I could be wrong about the last one.

And congrats Spades! Good luck with the the next 18 years..lol

Congrats, Spades! We thought you were skipping because of Catalunya.

Like the Miatas (aside from the engine note, god). It was most recently slicks, cage, and nothing loose to fly around and injure your Drivatar. Safety is #1.

Another race idea:
The Best Little Small Block in the [Mid] West: B600, must have LS1 engine (that's the 5.7L V8 swap available for most cars) - doesn't matter if it came with one originally.

Leguna Seca/Long Beach/Road America.

Hmm, i didnt even remember that situation at first!
Here it is from my perspective.
Two things:

1. Goddamn Canadians.

2. That shifting animation seems a bit off. Sequential in that position should be a quick tug backwards to upshift.

zorbsie

I think I want to go with the Miata this weekend. But 500 might be too much wiggle room. What about 450 max? Racing tyres, full weight reduction and roll cage bring it up to 421. Is 29PI to mess with enough?

I think I want to go with the Miata this weekend. But 500 might be too much wiggle room. What about 450 max? Racing tyres, full weight reduction and roll cage bring it up to 421. Is 29PI to mess with enough?

Maybe move it up to 500 but force no engine/drivetrain swaps?

LowerLevel

Guys! I'm back!

Whilst I was away getting banned, I contributed to making this thing of beauty (sorry Short, no M3's here):

tumblr_n4didfukwJ1qiv7luo3_500.jpg

Luckily she follows her mother.

Anyway, I'm back and eager to get racing with you guys again so I'll see y'all on Sunday.

Oh and how awesome is Trials Fusion?!

Nice man, congrats!!! Always nice to hear/read good news! Healthy I hope?

Devildoll

I probably asked this before, but what is your internet speed? Your streams always seem to be pretty good. The new apartment we are going into has 60D/5U, so I am hoping that will be good enough for a decent stream.

I have Fiber, 100/100 which i currently get 94/93 out of.

The options for the built in twitch on XBO are 800 1400 and 2000 Kbps
and recommended, which is 2500 Kbps for me, pretty strange that isn't an option unless you run the bandwidth test.

I wish i could crank it so far that it would look like zorbsie's youtube videos.
I could easily dish out ten times the bandwidth on my end and still have a huge margin.
I've been tempted to get some actual capture gear because of this limitation.

2500 Kbps is the same as 2.5 Mbps ( unless i got my units wrong ) and if you get full juice out of your new internet, you'd have 5 of those on the upload, could work.

cyber_ninja

Guys! I'm back!

Whilst I was away getting banned, I contributed to making this thing of beauty (sorry Short, no M3's here):

tumblr_n4didfukwJ1qiv7luo3_500.jpg

Luckily she follows her mother.

Anyway, I'm back and eager to get racing with you guys again so I'll see y'all on Sunday.

Oh and how awesome is Trials Fusion?!

Congrats, she is so cute. I became a father last month as well btw)))

zorbsie

league_week15qejqj.png

Miata Spec Races
Restrictions:
Miata Max class: C500
Must have: Roll cage, Full weight reduction and racing tyres.
Brings it to 421, after that do what ever you want. no engine/drivetrain swaps

Tracks will be Laguna Seca (duh) and Sebring Short Circuit.

Time trials
Same car setup same tracks. Post your times here and PM me your final times so I can add them to the standings.

If you can't make it to the races on Sunday, catch Devildoll's twitch stream.

league_week15qejqj.png

Miata Spec Races
Restrictions:
I think I might be missing some shorthand here. My freshly bought Miata with race tires, max weight reduction and full race roll cage comes to D381.

You can still add more parts just no engine swaps or making it AWD
Its the bolded bit here that has me confused:

Restrictions:
Brings it to 421, after that do what ever you want.

Also mentioned earlier:

When I take a stock Miata and add in the full roll cage, weight reduction and racing tires I don't get 421. I get a 381pp car, not a 421pp one. Just want to make sure I'm not missing any other required upgrades before trying to max it out to C500.

Its the bolded bit here that has me confused:

Also mentioned earlier:

When I take a stock Miata and add in the full roll cage, weight reduction and racing tires I don't get 421. I get a 381pp car, not a 421pp one. Just want to make sure I'm not missing any other required upgrades before trying to max it out to C500.

Are you doing the MX5 or the Miata?

Edi: Your right it goes to 381. Zorbs you doing Canadian math up there?

Edit 2: Zorbs you are aware we were doing the Miata not the MX5, doing your restrictions gets to 421 on the MX5, but we are doing the Miata.

Are you doing the MX5 or the Miata?

Edi: Your right it goes to 381. Zorbs you doing Canadian math up there?

Edit 2: Zorbs you are aware we were doing the Miata not the MX5, doing your restrictions gets to 421 on the MX5, but we are doing the Miata.

Well, in his defense the MX-5 is just the newer version of the Miata. Plus I think the picture he posted is of the MX-5. Or something, I dunno, goddam Canadians...

Well, in his defense the MX-5 is just the newer version of the Miata. Plus I think the picture he posted is of the MX-5. Or something, I dunno, goddam Canadians...

Its mot my fault the maple syrup is blocking his screen, so that he didn't realize that there are 2 cars the Miata MX5 and the MX5

zorbsie

Too much maple syrup! It's made me loopy. Loading game up and will update with the right info. Sorry fellas.

Edit: OK it does go to 381. So what are we thinking max 400 so it's top of it's class or max 500? 500 seems like a really big jump but 400 is not much more after the mandatory setup. What do you guys think?

Too much maple syrup! It's made me loopy. Loading game up and will update with the right info. Sorry fellas.

Edit: OK it does go to 381. So what are we thinking max 400 so it's top of it's class or max 500? 500 seems like a really big jump but 400 is not much more after the mandatory setup. What do you guys think?

I am honestly down with C400 as I think it will make for a nice close race. Not from me of course, because I will have like NO time to practice due to the move. But I will be representing the last place finish with STYLE!

zorbsie

That would be D400, and I'm of the same mind. I want this to be a really even race. Everyone is closer together and I have more targets, I mean obstacles to move around.

That would be D400, and I'm of the same mind. I want this to be a really even race. Everyone is closer together and I have more targets, I mean obstacles to move around.
D400 is fine, even if it means no race exhaust upgrade for me. *cries*

D400 will work. Dunno if I'll join you guys for the actual races - that depends upon the tech gods shining upon me - but will at the very least set some times. Already set some preliminary times last night with the C500 Miata.

p3tran

Banned
I am honestly down with C400 as I think it will make for a nice close race.
if you replace "nice" with "maybe boring" I agree :p
so, basically stock miatas in power, but with racing trim grip?
how about picking a nice sport car and keeping it stock or near that for a close race that could be more exciting than stock miatas with insane grip? :D

if you replace "nice" with "maybe boring" I agree :p
so, basically stock miatas in power, but with racing trim grip?
how about picking a nice sport car and keeping it stock or near that for a close race that could be more exciting than stock miatas with insane grip? :D

Hmm, I thought it was C class, I must have my PI numbers wrong. I do think D might be a tad too slow, and I really do like the sound of the Miata with full race exhaust. We could do C, it should make for some fun racing with as light as they are.

Or we could split the difference and go 450. Or you could just not listen to all our whining and do whatever you want. lol

How about Veyron/Koeeeenngigigiig/P1/La Ferrari at Bathhurst?

Its starting to truly sink in that Long Beach and Yas Marina are downright unplayable against Drivatars. To call it a straight up demolition derby would be putting too fine a point on it. Its bedlam and sparks and being slammed off the road and into walls and sandwiched between a crowd of cars, for the entire duration.

There is zero point to even trying to drive clean on those circuits - you'll just end up in 15th place if that.

Its starting to truly sink in that Long Beach and Yas Marina are downright unplayable against Drivatars. To call it a straight up demolition derby would be putting too fine a point on it. Its bedlam and sparks and being slammed off the road and into walls and sandwiched between a crowd of cars, for the entire duration.

There is zero point to even trying to drive clean on those circuits - you'll just end up in 15th place if that.

That's a real gripe for me too. I was going crazy the first time on Long Beach. I wonder if there is any way to even fix this.

That's a real gripe for me too. I was going crazy the first time on Long Beach. I wonder if there is any way to even fix this.

Qualifying session, rolling start or just in order of PI.

It's asking too much to start that far back and do well in 2 or 3 laps without blocking and ramming other cars and I just can't play like that.

Mascot

Ooh. That sucks. Preorder canc...

Ooh. That sucks. Preorder canc...
Haha yeah, and believe me there is no exaggeration on my part. In the Shift games you'd have some aggressive competition (trading paint bonuses even) and previous Forzas were mostly tame except for a driver or two who were complete asses. Drivatars here are on an entirely different level of aggression and insane steamrolling.

Even though I thought Garnett was overly harsh on Forza in his last Garnett-On-Games podcast, he did nail the fundamental conundrum at work here: Either you max or near-max out the Drivatar difficulty and never come close to winning the two lap race or you give yourself the chance of a podium finish and suffer bumper cars on crack - doubly so on the more cramped tracks.

I love the game, but I really don't understand the design decisions that seem to encourage a roiling wall of sparking and grinding bumper cars.

But all is not lost - the campaign might be wearing on me (with the bumper cars, the circuits themselves are wonderful), but I can still create my own longer races in freeplay against a smaller field, and still earn enough credits and XP and affinity for new cars and upgrades. I also don't mind kicking up the Drivatar difficulty in those custom races since I can take more time to work my way clean to the front over several laps rather than trying to go from last to first in two laps of madness.

league_week15qejqj.png

Miata Spec Races
Restrictions:

Tracks will be Laguna Seca (duh) and Sebring Short Circuit.
Have two times to kick things off w/ my C449 Miata (all required upgrades + misc):

Laguna Seca: 1:47.378 (on the friends leaderboard)
Sebring Short: 1:31.470 (the one on the friends leaderboard is the C500 version)

That's the best I've managed to muster, but will take some more tries at it in the days ahead.

Mascot

Haha yeah, and believe me there is no exaggeration on my part. In the Shift games you'd have some aggressive competition (trading paint bonuses even) and previous Forzas were mostly tame except for a driver or two who were complete asses. Drivatars here are on an entirely different level of aggression and insane steamrolling.

Even though I thought Garnett was overly harsh on Forza in his last Garnett-On-Games podcast, he did nail the fundamental conundrum at work here: Either you max or near-max out the Drivatar difficulty and never come close to winning the two lap race or you give yourself the chance of a podium finish and suffer bumper cars on crack - doubly so on the more cramped tracks.

I love the game, but I really don't understand the design decisions that seem to encourage a roiling wall of sparking and grinding bumper cars.

But all is not lost - the campaign might be wearing on me (with the bumper cars, the circuits themselves are wonderful), but I can still create my own longer races in freeplay against a smaller field, and still earn enough credits and XP and affinity for new cars and upgrades. I also don't mind kicking up the Drivatar difficulty in those custom races since I can take more time to work my way clean to the front over several laps rather than trying to go from last to first in two laps of madness.

I will never understand the philosophy behind Forza's two-lap races. Dan waxes lyrical about motorsport, racing, authenticity, passion and realism, about laser-scanned tracks, about race-day atmosphere... and then fills the game with events that would embarrass a corporate go-karting shindig. Those two-lap races are over before they've even begun.

I just do not get it. It's utterly ludicrous.

I will never understand the philosophy behind Forza's two-lap races. Dan waxes lyrical about motorsport, racing, authenticity, passion and realism, about laser-scanned tracks, about race-day atmosphere... and then fills the game with events that would embarrass a corporate go-karting shindig. Those two-lap races are over before they've even begun.

I just do not get it. It's utterly ludicrous.

They are there to progress through the career mode. If you want longer races you can do it through free play.

If I had to do a 10 lap race in the truck class I would jump out my window.

p3tran

Banned
Have two times to kick things off w/ my C449 Miata (all required upgrades + misc):

Laguna Seca: 1:47.378 (on the friends leaderboard)
Sebring Short: 1:31.470 (the one on the friends leaderboard is the C500 version)

That's the best I've managed to muster, but will take some more tries at it in the days ahead.

just did a 1:41.5 on laguna and a 1:26.1 at short sebring.
the c450 tune I put up for testing. as usual, search for "gaf" in description or my gamertag.
(can make it faster, but with less control)

Mascot

They are there to progress through the career mode. If you want longer races you can do it through free play.

If I had to do a 10 lap race in the truck class I would jump out my window.

The solution we spoke about eight years ago: let us set the number of laps in career mode ourselves.

just did a 1:41.5 on laguna and a 1:26.1 at short sebring.
the c450 tune I put up for testing. as usual, search for "gaf" in description or my gamertag.
(can make it faster, but with less control)
Wow, looks like I have a long way to go to even get in the neighborhood of those times :)

And thanks for sharing your tune - will give it a shot. Also have you saved now as a creator to follow.

The solution we spoke about eight years ago: let us set the number of laps in career mode ourselves.
I'd multiply the game's current lap count by fourfold if I had the option, easily. That and a qualifying to keep from always starting at the end of the pack.

Hey guys sorry as I'm sure this has been answered before but I just bought an Xbox one and I'm looking to maybe grab forza 5. So 1. Did all the patches fix the progression issues people were complaining about? 2. I don't plan on buying Dlc, is there enough content in the main game or is there a couple packs worth buying (under $20)? 3. I don't really plan on playing online so is the single player fine?

SarBear

Hey guys sorry as I'm sure this has been answered before but I just bought an Xbox one and I'm looking to maybe grab forza 5. So 1. Did all the patches fix the progression issues people were complaining about? 2. I don't plan on buying Dlc, is there enough content in the main game or is there a couple packs worth buying (under $20)? 3. I don't really plan on playing online so is the single player fine?

Wut? Lol

Haven't encountered any problems with progression, quite the opposite.

I only get to play a couple of times a week at most and own almost every car, there's literally nothing else to spend the money on. The garage is limited to 550 cars iirc so I could start doubling up.

Saying that I'm a VIP so the prize money mounts up faster.

1. Since launch Turn 10 nearly halved the price of cars, nearly doubled the rate of credit gain, removed the requirement to own a car to use it in free play, and removed the need to unlock DLC cars with in-game credits after buying them with real dollars. Those were pretty big changes. Between that and Forza rewards I've had no issues affording the cars I want at a regular pace, though to be fair I'm playing the shit out of this game.
2. You'll only find yourself wanting DLC if there's a certain car available that you lust over. The basic selection is fine, even if small in comparison to Forza 4. The DLC the series has always needed - and Forza 5 in particular - is tracks, and Turn 10 has released two tracks for free so far: Road America and Long Beach.
3. Kind of hard to answer because it depends what you mean by multiplayer. I don't race online in these games, but the asynchronous multiplayer where you play against ghosts and Drivatars of people on your friends list and the wide community is addictive as hell. I'm not sure how much enjoyment I'd get out of the game if I was playing it entirely offline, without rivals or friend Drivatars and leaderboard times to chase.

The progression thing was grossly overstated, and appeared worse than it was due to the nickel and diming microtransactions available for purchase- that turn out to not be nearly as egregiously placed in the game as much as screenshots suggest.

I don't understand how this game doesn't reward you for anything.

Gold an entire league, and get nothing. No cars as rewards, nothing for finishing a series. Its kind of lame. All I get is 35,000 every level up?

Top Bottom