• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5 |OT| Open wheel, tyre squeal, orange peel, dat next-gen feel

I don't understand how this game doesn't reward you for anything.

Gold an entire league, and get nothing. No cars as rewards, nothing for finishing a series. Its kind of lame. All I get is 35,000 every level up?

Absolutely, its one of the career mode weak points, past Forza gifted you things, it was great to guess which car you will get later.

I don't understand how this game doesn't reward you for anything.

Gold an entire league, and get nothing. No cars as rewards, nothing for finishing a series. Its kind of lame. All I get is 35,000 every level up?

Are you hurting for money?

I don't race that much and I'm sitting on 4+ million. Every car I wanted I have bought. Between monthly rewards and the increase in payouts the challenge has been completely stripped from the game.

p3tran

Banned
congrats GRom!
you should offer to t10 to be an external adviser on how to setup replay cameras and stuff. ;)

Wow, looks like I have a long way to go to even get in the neighborhood of those times :)

And thanks for sharing your tune - will give it a shot. Also have you saved now as a creator to follow.
well, its not really hard. and given that you just started, I think you are good.
I will be also doing a c450 with full aero parts later today, will upload that too.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still about 4 seconds off p3trans time. Even tried using the clutch to gain some time and just ended up doing the same laps I already was. Must be some corners I'm not carrying near enough speed through.

Devildoll

I'm still about 4 seconds off p3trans time. Even tried using the clutch to gain some time and just ended up doing the same laps I already was. Must be some corners I'm not carrying near enough speed through.

thats better than when i try to use manual clutch, i just end up crashing.

Are you hurting for money?

I don't race that much and I'm sitting on 4+ million. Every car I wanted I have bought. Between monthly rewards and the increase in payouts the challenge has been completely stripped from the game.

Im not hurting for money, but it automatically makes this a chore for me, I need reward and gratification or its just a grind, I ask myself whats the point of getting gold anything?

SarBear

If you just switched to using the clutch and you're doing the same lap times.....stick with it. You're just about to have a breakthrough. Do NOT go back to just manual

HeliosT10

Thanks again for the feature. Here are some new photos to celebrate :

mobile.372nhl2b.jpg

iPooqNb1zG2oU.gif

Amazing pics yet again G Rom!

Oh. I use the stock X and B buttons. Shifting down under braking is hold A, press X with tip of thumb, stab throttle with index finger then off A, in one rolling motion without thinking. Thinking is spent on not locking the wheels.

But what if you actually want to play and progress through the career mode, but find the races annoyingly short?

The majority would complain about the length of the race.

I would understand if the option for doing longer races wasn't there but you need to realize the game needs to be designed for a wide audience.

Oh. I use the stock X and B buttons. Shifting down under braking is hold A, press X with tip of thumb, stab throttle with index finger then off A, in one rolling motion without thinking. Thinking is spent on not locking the wheels.

That just seems more difficult than using LB for the clutch. Index finger on LB middle on the LT. Works much faster if you are going down 2 gears.

p3tran

Banned
That just seems more difficult than using LB for the clutch. Index finger on LB middle on the LT. Works much faster if you are going down 2 gears.
here's how I do it: my thumb is placed comfortably right above the X and A buttons all the time.
when needing to upshift, I just depress my thumb and both buttons are pressed at the same time.
when needing to downshift, keep everything as it was, and just naturally move your thumb juuust a little to the right, so when you depress you get to hit both A and B (with the lower part of your thumb)

if you practice for 5mins with even the car stationary, you will never have to think about it again.

ps. aero tune will be up in 5'

Mascot

The majority would complain about the length of the race.

I would understand if the option for doing longer races wasn't there but you need to realize the game needs to be designed for a wide audience.

Erm... Did you even read my post? I don't 'need to realize' anything. That's the exact reason why I was advocating user-defined lap counts. Who on earth could complain about the race length if they themselves actually set how long the race would last?

Erm... Did you even read my post? I don't 'need to realize' anything. That's the exact reason why I was advocating user-defined lap counts. Who on earth could complain about the race length if they themselves actually set how long the race would last?

You said you couldn't understand why there are 2 lap races, that was what you needed realize. As for the custom career lap amounts why put in the effort and extra work for an option that exist in free play.
I don't get why you would care about it in a racing game. There is no story mode, career only exist to get the player to try out new cars and track layouts, and pre F5 to get credits. Before 5 when you didn't get credits it was a valid complaint, but now that you do it's not. Especially since you can create races not available even in the carrer mode and still get credits.

Mascot

You said you couldn't understand why there are 2 lap races, that was what you needed realize. As for the custom career lap amounts why put in the effort and extra work for an option that exist in free play.
I don't get why you would care about it in a racing game. There is no story mode, career only exist to get the player to try out new cars and track layouts, and pre F5 to get credits. Before 5 when you didn't get credits it was a valid complaint, but now that you do it's not. Especially since you can create races not available even in the carrer mode and still get credits.

Sorry, I do not follow any of your logic one little bit. It makes zero sense to me.

Unless there are options I'm missing you can't really recreate any of the career events except for those that are limited only by class. Nor can you run events that aren't straight circuit races or drag races. I could be wrong but I didn't even see the option to run a same-make race, or to limit PI to something like C450 like we're doing with this week's GAF time trials and races.

The option for more laps is already in the game proper, so I don't understand the resistance to wanting that as an option that could eliminate a long-time issue with Forza's career mode (overly short races) as well as help the Drivatar experience (since players won't feel the need to drive so aggressively into the pack to get a win). It'd teach players to run clean, set up their overtakes and take advantage of opportunities that arise, which is really the kind of training you want for players who go online isn't it? Seems like a win/win and I hope its something that comes to Forza 6.

Mascot

Unless there are options I'm missing you can't really recreate any of the career events except for those that are limited only by class. Nor can you run events that aren't straight circuit races or drag races. I could be wrong but I didn't even see the option to run a same-make race, or to limit PI to something like C450 like we're doing with this week's GAF time trials and races.

The option for more laps is already in the game proper, so I don't understand the resistance to wanting that as an option that could eliminate a long-time issue with Forza's career mode (overly short races) as well as help the Drivatar experience (since players won't feel the need to drive so aggressively into the pack to get a win). It'd teach players to run clean, set up their overtakes and take advantage of opportunities that arise, which is really the kind of training you want for players who go online isn't it? Seems like a win/win and I hope its something that comes to Forza 6.

*brofist*

saladine1

I'm the kind of guy who likes progression, structure and purpose in games even if a story isn't available which is why I play career mode in Forza and not free play.

So yeah, user defined laps in career is a great idea!
Make it happen Turn 10.

The non circuit races are the 1v1 races I.e. top gear bowling, stigs digital cousin, and track days. [We all know mascot is all about the top gear bowling].

Limiting the PI isn't something that's in the career mode, so that doesn't fit into this discussion.

Also adding the 3 tier medal system is meant to encourage you to not drive like an ass. Getting silver for finishing 6th is more akin to how real racing works where it's not top 3 or nothing. But people are people so they are still going to go all out for the gold. If someone wants to drive clean and have clean lap times they will strive for it, adding longer races isn't going to make someone start driving clean.

And I am not saying it would be bad to add the option to add laps, but that it won't happen because there is no need to since you can do it in freeplay.

Now with the non circuit races the point of the track day is to pass as many cars in a set amount of time, 2-3 laps is ideal for that event. Bowling is a 1 lap event so it wouldn't make sense there. The only event where you could argue it is for the stigs digital cousin, but if you want a 1v1 race for 10 laps wouldn't you want the full grid?

p3tran

Banned
guys guys guys...

you got to give credit where credit is due, and the fact is that t10 made enough changes to this free race mode, that offers pretty much of what we wanted in previous games.

even what is being said about not limiting the PI is not correct here...

here is a pic I just took of what the game does when I want to have a race in a track I want, with the options I want, with the car I want, setup as I want, and i ask it for a full grid of the best opponents:

not bad, eh? :)

as you can see, the game responds to my gaf spec'ed C450 miata with a full grid of cars that are comparable in PI.

pretty much 100% functional for me.

now, as an improvement, I can see how a "freelance racer" mode can be made just by changing a little the UI, so upon entering, game checks your current car (like it does now) and just brings up all race tracks populated with events/opps that correspond to what you got there.
maybe even give you the choice to up/lower the rewards just by shifting the same levels (assists/difficulty/#of opponents-laps/etc), and maybe add some more spice by keeping a log of your freelance races/rewards (and costs for the "hardcore" crowd).
I am sure that with a nice, snappy user interface and a few menu graphics, this could be an addictive mode..

that being said, and even though I have already finished the career, adding just a small box where you enter your preferred number of laps before the race, I cant see that being bad for career either.

P.S.
what I would like to see being added to the game asap, its in relation to leaderboards.
I would really fucking LOVE a filtering option on the leaderboards where the board in the track I'm looking at, is filtered by my CURRENT CAR in its CURRENT CLASS.
So if I have made the fastest fucking golf gti class A car and time in road america, let me fucking know it and feel good about it! (without me having to do a miracle to make a gen1 gti faster than a fucking ktm xbow :D )
damn this leaderboard thing is my complaint since forever!! :D :D
Helios, can you please pass my request to someone who knows database select commands @t10? :D its not much more work than a simple query I think... but you got to keep to db not only the fastest laptime per class, but the fastest laptime per class/per car too. (so leaderboards be: overall / near me / friends / CAR) :)

zorbsie

I feel like the way to fix the overly short races is to add an optional qualifying lap. That way you have a chance of not starting in the very back of the pack. But If you skip the qualifying lap the game puts you in the back. Even starting 4th or 5th would be an improvement. As long as we are talking about career race length, I would like to add I miss the endurance races of Forza 3. Having tire and fuel on simulation and having to pit at least once during the race was awesome. Sad that these races are gone.

saladine1

Fuck it, might as well add the option for accelerated tire wear and fuel consumption just for shits and giggles...

Mascot, I've been meaning to ask..what does the saying "how's your father" mean in pommy lingo?

Mascot

Mascot, I've been meaning to ask..what does the saying "how's your father" mean in pommy lingo?

Sex.

According to Michael Kelly, a writer and historian in New Zealand, "the origin of the expression 'how's your father' can be traced back to Victorian times. In those days any man with a daughter was so protective of her virtue that he would take extraordinary measures to safeguard it. Unmarried girls would be kept within the bosom of their family as much as possible, chaperoned on excursions, and on those occasions when they were let out of bounds for social events, their fathers would often accompany them discreetly by hiding underneath their voluminous skirts ready to pounce on any man who transgressed the bounds of propriety.

However, a father with more than one daughter couldn't be everywhere at once. Thus, a suitor having a discreet vis-a-vis with his beloved would cautiously ascertain her father's whereabouts by asking, 'And how is your father?' If her father was currently under her skirts, she would glance downwards and reply, 'My father is very well, thank you, and as alert and vigorous as ever, and maintains his interest in rusty castrating implements.' Her beau would then say, 'I have always had the greatest respect for your father, and of course for you. Let us hold hands and think about the Queen for a while.' If, on the other hand, her father was elsewhere, she would reply, 'The mad old bastard is currently stationed between my sister Constance's thighs. Let us go into the garden and rut like stoats.'

Hence, 'How's your father' became a euphemism for you-know-what.

saladine1

Sex.

According to Michael Kelly, a writer and historian in New Zealand, "the origin of the expression 'how's your father' can be traced back to Victorian times. In those days any man with a daughter was so protective of her virtue that he would take extraordinary measures to safeguard it. Unmarried girls would be kept within the bosom of their family as much as possible, chaperoned on excursions, and on those occasions when they were let out of bounds for social events, their fathers would often accompany them discreetly by hiding underneath their voluminous skirts ready to pounce on any man who transgressed the bounds of propriety.

However, a father with more than one daughter couldn't be everywhere at once. Thus, a suitor having a discreet vis-a-vis with his beloved would cautiously ascertain her father's whereabouts by asking, 'And how is your father?' If her father was currently under her skirts, she would glance downwards and reply, 'My father is very well, thank you, and as alert and vigorous as ever, and maintains his interest in rusty castrating implements.' Her beau would then say, 'I have always had the greatest respect for your father, and of course for you. Let us hold hands and think about the Queen for a while.' If, on the other hand, her father was elsewhere, she would reply, 'The mad old bastard is currently stationed between my sister Constance's thighs. Let us go into the garden and rut like stoats.'

Hence, 'How's your father' became a euphemism for you-know-what.

Speechless!

Great pictures as always!

On the lap count conversation: I hate 2-3 laps per race, the reason is that I like to race fast and clean, no paint trading during the passes. Forza´s AI tend to drive in clusters with cars covering all the track so there's no room to make a pass and you have 2 laps limit to arrive on first-third place, so its really annoying.

Forza is much more enjoyable with 5 laps at least, you can enjoy the good racing and wait for the right opportunities to pass.

zorbsie

Great stuff Jorge!
G Rom fantastic pics, love that last one with the driver almost looking into the camera. Congrats on the showcase, very cool and much deserved.

Thrustmaster T3PA pedals due in May and the shifter is coming in the summer. I don't understand the hold up.

Gonna try hard to make it tonight. Haven't been on all week so I'll nab p3tran's tune and give it a whirl.

gsrjedi

Thrustmaster T3PA pedals due in May and the shifter is coming in the summer. I don't understand the hold up.

Gonna try hard to make it tonight. Haven't been on all week so I'll nab p3tran's tune and give it a whirl.

I just ordered a TX, so it's good to hear when this stuff is coming, but it's still frustrating having to wait.

I just ordered a TX, so it's good to hear when this stuff is coming, but it's still frustrating having to wait.

You are in for a treat then, the wheel is great. The rumble effect is still dropping out after a while but it is a common problem, hopefully it isn't heat related and can be fixed by firmware.

I'm doing 1:44 on p3trans tune but it's too slidey for racing online.

zorbsie

Very quick races today. Sorry I couldn't stick around for more races. For those that missed it, send me your times trials. I'll update the standings tonight.

It sucks that i missed my first race day. I have been working 6 day weeks for the last month and it finally caught up with me. Slept for like 12 hrs straight.

Sorry guys, we were moving weekend. We are finally in the new place, but now there are boxes everywhere. Hopefully we will be settled soon.

I really hate the drivatar AI in this game, they lack any kind of racing etiquette and perform the kind of dirty, shitheel moves you see from human players. I dont care how impressive it is conceptually, when Im racing, some idiot plowing into the back of my car feels as shitty as it does when the on rails AI of other racing games do the same. I find it really difficult to not resort to the rewind button, because there's always some point in the race, some fucking piece of shit drivatar pulls some move that would get a real world driver punched in the face after the fact. It's like Im trying to overtake some nightmare clone of Michael Schumacher and Pastor Maldonado, just the dirtiest kind of blocking tactics.

Its especially obnoxious the higher you go up the vehicle performance chain.

The driving model feels pretty awesome and the graphics are legit. Track selection wouldnt feel as spartan if they had the 'Ring.
I absolutely love how rivals is integrated in everything.
You mean to say I can fuck about in free play and still get credits? Excellent.

zorbsie

league_week16hgrnv.png

Time to prototype!
Car Max Class P998
2006 Audi #2 Audi Sport North America R8 (DLC)
2012 Audi #1 Audi Team Joest R18 e-tron quattro
1998 Ferrari #12 Risi Competizione F333 SP
1991 Mazda 787B
2009 Peugeot #9 Peugeot Sport Total 908
1999 Toyota #3 Toyota Motorsports GT-ONE TS020 (DLC)

Not sure if the '77 Ford Foyt #14 should be included, it is in the P class. Anyone have objections either way?

Tracks:
Le Mans - Old Mulsanne Circuit (That's right, no chicanes.)
Road Atlana - Full Circuit

Everyone is welcome to come out and race. If you can't make it Sunday you can always try time trials.

Time Trials
Same cars, same tracks. Feel free to post work in progress times here, but PM me your final times.

Standings
Both the weekly and time trials standings can be found here.

Top Bottom