• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5 |OT| Open wheel, tyre squeal, orange peel, dat next-gen feel

saladine1

I am trying to not let my emotions get to me, but my GOD does that Murci LP640 SV sound GLORIOUS!

I'm still amazed with the audio in FM5.

So much work has gone into it it's not funny. I mean, there are games out there that have great audio but the car roster is quite small in comparison to FM.
Having to do all those cars and their related effects(Turbo spool, bov's supercharger whine, tyres, spatial 3d,ambience..etc) is truly an astonishing feat.

I have no requests really with regards to audio for their next game except for one thing:

Transmission/Racing gearbox effects i.e - Straight cut gear whine and physics driven 'banging' of gears and throttle transitions in sequential race boxes.

A perfect example of what I'm talking about would be something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bw8KvdHVMFw

I've been told that the transmission effects were not a priority for FM5 and that FM6 should see a better implementation of this...

One other thing would be to 'civilize' the stock exhaust sounds and then add in more aggressive samples when upgrades are applied. However, this would be a massive undertaking and would totally understand if it wasn't done.

Nick Wiswell for president!

G Rom

Sound is just crazy in FM5. Have you tried to upgrade the R5, Sal ? With the engine, exhaust and turbo upgrades, it sounds amazing. Same with an upgraded Celica.

Loads of the Corrina please, G.

Just for you Mascot :

mobile.3902sflc.jpg

mobile.391osfcz.jpg

mobile.392yvrr8.jpg

mobile.393rxxaz.jpg

mobile.3944sbn5.jpg

mobile.39570j04.jpg

mobile.396lzj69.jpg

mobile.397cfbuq.jpg

If some of you have cars that they want photos of, just ask BTW. I'd be happy to take them.

So my second Xbone died overnight. That's two in one month.

The first was a faulty power supply that made plane-crash noises while wafting the smell of burnt plastic through the air. This second one worked for a few weeks (long enough to get me to Forza level 110 huzzah) before deciding, nope, it doesn't want to hold a charge anymore, and won't even power up any more.

So no Forza for me for a bit while they send me that third console in the mail.

This is giving me flashbacks to last gen - only in a much more compressed timescale.

LowerLevel

The first was a faulty power supply that made plane-crash noises while wafting the smell of burnt plastic through the air. This second one worked for a few weeks (long enough to get me to Forza level 110 huzzah) before deciding, nope, it doesn't want to hold a charge anymore, and won't even power up any more.

This is giving me flashbacks to last gen - only in a much more compressed timescale.

Damn.... Seriously hoping for the best here for you bro. I was having issues with my brick for a minute due to latent sawdust after the wife got rid of the carpet and had hardwood done. Spent quite a few minutes with some comp-air and soft cloth while watching Wheeler Dealers getting that situated. It still has a slight hum unfortunately... Or maybe this house is just quieter and I can hear it more. Thy aren't charging you anything I hope?

Mascot

Just for you Mascot :

*gert lush pics*

Fantastic! You da man. Cheers, G!

Damn, son - that sucks greasy goat balls.
I'm on my fifth (or is it sixth?) 360 so I know what a ball-ache it can be.

What add on gives you that crazy sound when down shifitng or braking. My NSX has this awesome sound, but I can't figure out what mod caused it. It sounds like exhaust gargle.

saladine1

Is this common?

I don't think I've heard of any faulty Xbox One's..

G Rom

The only issues I've had with the Xbox One itself were software ones.
Controllers, on the other end, have been very unreliable for me. The second one I bought after launch had a partially non-working D-Pad, I got it swapped at Gamestop. My Day One edition has a left stick issue which nearly doesn't work anymore when pushing it up. I need to contact the support for this one as Gamestop can only swap it with a non-Day One edition obviously.

G Rom you are killing it dude. If you have time, can you give the GT40 some love?

Thanks for the comments, always appreciate it ! :)
I'll see what I can do with the GT40 next time I'm in the game.

I'm still amazed with the audio in FM5.

So much work has gone into it it's not funny. I mean, there are games out there that have great audio but the car roster is quite small in comparison to FM.
Having to do all those cars and their related effects(Turbo spool, bov's supercharger whine, tyres, spatial 3d,ambience..etc) is truly an astonishing feat.

I have no requests really with regards to audio for their next game except for one thing:

Transmission/Racing gearbox effects i.e - Straight cut gear whine and physics driven 'banging' of gears and throttle transitions in sequential race boxes.

A perfect example of what I'm talking about would be something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bw8KvdHVMFw

I've been told that the transmission effects were not a priority for FM5 and that FM6 should see a better implementation of this...

One other thing would be to 'civilize' the stock exhaust sounds and then add in more aggressive samples when upgrades are applied. However, this would be a massive undertaking and would totally understand if it wasn't done.

Nick Wiswell for president!

The audio is very good. I love hearing the gravel under your car on certain sections of tracks. First time I heard it I thought something on my car was broken, LOL.

That sucks. I know how that feels.

First I had to get my day one controller replaced, then the console because of a bad disc drive (which got me a free copy of Forza 5) and a few weeks ago my Kinect died.

Took a shot of the Enzo the other day that I thought turned out to be particularly flattering.
YB4tm15.jpg

Also, have this shot of a dirty M3 while you're here.
HYuXQhC.jpg

Damn, excellent BMW shot.

So, what is everyone picking for their cars so far?

I am seriously considering something odd. Maybe a Dino with a 458 V8?? Or what about the Miura with a Murc V12?

Lima

Well one thing is for sure if you pick the F50 you are boring. That car is pretty much the fastest on most of the tracks in the S class.

Is this common?

I don't think I've heard of any faulty Xbox One's..
I haven't heard anything either - but man, two faulty systems in one month is something special. They were both from Target, so for all I know they were both in some bad shipment. I honestly have no idea, but this time I'm getting a new one sent from MS to better my chances. Should get the coffin with a new main unit by the end of next week at the latest.

Its not the worst thing though, as I have happily played so much damn Forza 5 that I could probably use a little break. And I have a PS4, so I won't be counting the minutes or anything.

Damn, excellent BMW shot.

So, what is everyone picking for their cars so far?

I am seriously considering something odd. Maybe a Dino with a 458 V8?? Or what about the Miura with a Murc V12?

See where a RWD converted Subaru 22b with the Flat 6 engine gets you. I didn't mess with any tunes but the one I slapped together was pretty wobbly.

m23

So I'm trying to launch Forza but it keeps giving me a message that the game needs an update, once I click "install" it takes me to the Forza 5 page in the store. Nothing gets installed. Anyone know the issue?

HeliosT10

So I'm trying to launch Forza but it keeps giving me a message that the game needs an update, once I click "install" it takes me to the Forza 5 page in the store. Nothing gets installed. Anyone know the issue?

Have seen this mentioned a couple of places, not sure what causes it but reinstalling seems to sort out the issue.

Have you tried hard resetting your console? Not sure how helpful it'll be but it's always a start.

Hold the power button until it fully shuts down and reboot it.

gsrjedi

Got my Thrustmaster TX last week. I previously had the Fanatec Turbo S wheel, but it still took me a while to get used to this wheel in F5. I'm still not quite up to speed yet, but it's so great to use a wheel in this game again. Parts of the whole thing seem cheap and toy like, but to me the parts you're in constant contact with - the rim, pedals, & shifter all feel good.

Got my Thrustmaster TX last week. I previously had the Fanatec Turbo S wheel, but it still took me a while to get used to this wheel in F5. I'm still not quite up to speed yet, but it's so great to use a wheel in this game again. Parts of the whole thing seem cheap and toy like, but to me the parts you're in constant contact with - the rim, pedals, & shifter all feel good.

The paddles and pedals feel fine but that wheel is just so plastic feeling. Its such a downgrade from the lovely leather I had on my Fanatec PWTS. I have decided that I am going to add a real wheel, rather than buy the Thrustmaster options. It will mean I have to drive automatic until the shifter is released, but I think it will be worth it.

gsrjedi

I should've clarified on the wheel, I like the feeling of the rubbery part you steer from (even if it doesn't slide through my hands and catches my shirts whenever I walk by), but the actual wheel face is incredibly cheap feeling.

Plus the pedal base doesn't like to stay down when I press the brakes or gas. I've adapted to using my left foot to keep the base in place since I'm not a left foot braker.

I should've clarified on the wheel, I like the feeling of the rubbery part you steer from (even if it doesn't slide through my hands and catches my shirts whenever I walk by), but the actual wheel face is incredibly cheap feeling.

Plus the pedal base doesn't like to stay down when I press the brakes or gas. I've adapted to using my left foot to keep the base in place since I'm not a left foot braker.

I can't stand the rubber bit I don't mind the cheap buttons ( because o never use them)

I think they wasted money on the Ferrari license rather than putting a better quality wheel in the box.

The brake base is very light, I only left foot brake when I don't have a clutch. I am a little worried their clutch pedal set will be light as well.

m23

Have seen this mentioned a couple of places, not sure what causes it but reinstalling seems to sort out the issue.

Yeah gonna have to try that I guess, it's going to take a while.

Have you tried hard resetting your console? Not sure how helpful it'll be but it's always a start.

Hold the power button until it fully shuts down and reboot it.

Tried that, didn't work. Thanks though.

G Rom

Here are three photos of the GT40, I took more but I wasn't satisfied with them. I wish I could choose another colour for it as the rental one isn't the best IMO. I'm too broke in the game to buy it though...

mobile.406dajz5.jpg

mobile.4072weby.jpg

mobile.408bne4l.jpg

Took some of an upgraded GTV as well :

mobile.40924af2.jpg

mobile.4109hypb.jpg

mobile.411oujne.jpg

mobile.412znjte.jpg

mobile.413awjck.jpg

Here are three photos of the GT40, I took more but I wasn't satisfied with them. I wish I could choose another colour for it as the rental one isn't the best IMO. I'm too broke in the game to buy it though...

Hmm, too bad there isn't someone who has the ability to gift money....

Seriously, hook this man up Helios! I mean, you did feature him, that's gotta be worth like $20mil at least!

SarBear

I had the best intentions on grabbing a Lamborghini and lighting Yas Marina on fire......but then my whole family decided I should take them out for brunch Sunday. :-/

Lima

I'm there. p3tran you there too? If not I need the lobby host to throw me an invite.

I've settled for my Challenge Stradale. I like the car.

p3tran

Banned

mobile.406dajz5.jpg

god damn hackers! as happy as I was to see the hacking on forza 4 that gave us pics with extreme camber and showcar stances etc, it appears that the cost of it was that p2p file transactions where (temporarily I hope) halted.

GRom lend me $10.000.000 in the last days of forza4 in order to buy some damn ferrari;s and get that achievement.
I would gladly pay him back the hard earned forza money I owe him since I've got 15mil sitting there in forza5 with all cars in my garage. and it seems the timing to return him the money is perfect.
iirc this is in fact what I told him back then, that I would repay him in the next game :D

so Helios, because I dont like debts, even of this kind :) can you please be the banker in this and kindly send G Rom a t10 message worth 10mil and send me one for -10mil?
I promise this is a one-time custom thing to ask. thanks!

oh, and btw, i read in another thread yesterday, that volkwagens cannot compete with lambos and ferraris...
yeah right :)
http://clips.playr.io/domesticmango/titles/2067126551/clip/862997e0-4052-44db-808d-497838b8f1ad

Lima

Got my last achievement in F5 last week finally. Back to all achievements in all Forza games. Now we wait for Horizon 2.

zorbsie

Great pics G Rom. Like everyone else I wish I could gift you some money. Don't forget it's a new month. I just cashed in 1.5 million with Forza Rewards.

P3tran that video is just unreal. Love seeing stuff like that.

I picked a Miura for the Sunday races. Got a 2:25.321 on Yas. Maybe bumping the HP up to 1000 was a bad idea. lol Might pick another lambo and see how that goes. Going with Lamborghini because I already have Ferrari up to level 25 affinity. This might not be the best strategy for picking a car, but I'm sticking with it.

Also for Sunday, seeing as the F1 will be racing at Catalunya, I think we should do a fun race there with the Lotus E21.

EDIT: Did a couple more laps and got it down to 2:23.3. You guys are going to destroy that time, but I'm feeling pretty good about it for now.

Lima

I picked a Miura for the Sunday races. Got a 2:25.321 on Yas. Maybe bumping the HP up to 1000 was a bad idea. lol Might pick another lambo and see how that goes. Going with Lamborghini because I already have Ferrari up to level 25 affinity. This might not be the best strategy for picking a car, but I'm sticking with it.

Seems like my Challenge Stradale is not a bad choice then. Got 2:16 on my third timed lap with lots of room to improve. Spent an hour tuning that beast though.

Smaug

Banned
Yeah gonna have to try that I guess, it's going to take a while.

Tried that, didn't work. Thanks though.

If you are in the Xbox Preview beta, this is a known issue. BF4, Forza, COD etc... for me. Only workaround right now is to uninstall / reinstall the game. Going to opt out of the preview beta after this build, not worth the hassles.

zorbsie

Seems like my Challenge Stradale is not a bad choice then. Got 2:16 on my third timed lap with lots of room to improve. Spent an hour tuning that beast though.

Nice! Good to see people aren't just picking the high end Ferraris. Should keep things interesting tomorrow. Are you racing with us Lima? Not sure I have your GT on my list. You can add me, mine is zorbs.

Top Bottom