• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5 |OT| Open wheel, tyre squeal, orange peel, dat next-gen feel

I'm back, and this time, I give you another fixed livery...what about a M3 DTM? With all the proper logos and everything! Too bad I wasn't able to add the windshield Bosch logo since the banner disappears and you can't paint on glass. Same history for spoiler and mirrors.

But anyway, here it is (In my "storefront", search by my GT: JorgePinto)

14169540692_62255ebd8d_h.jpg

14168921261_570a8580d1_h.jpg

14172277994_4d8c6be6f2_h.jpg

14172227375_bee4d561cf_h.jpg

14149070026_3753155d51_h.jpg

14149069736_eacbd3d914_h.jpg

13985572909_4e774c5d57_h.jpg

14172276934_d510f94fa3_h.jpg

13985572619_93750c8995_h.jpg

13985593487_9916c7ca76_h.jpg

Mascot

I'm back, and this time, I give you another fixed livery...what about a M3 DTM?

Beautiful!

Now, why am I posting a pCARS fan-made video in the Forza thread? It's celebrating audio, so I thought Sal might appreciate it. It's also got some pretty awesome trackside cameras, something Forza has improved on but still isn't quite there yet. And it shows what Forza might look like with night and precipitation. And... well, it's just a pretty awesome video featuring cars, so I thought those of you who haven't seen it might appreciate it. Anyway: enjoy. Or not.

Sound Makes Everything

saladine1

Beautiful!

Now, why am I posting a pCARS fan-made video in the Forza thread? It's celebrating audio, so I thought Sal might appreciate it. It's also got some pretty awesome trackside cameras, something Forza has improved on but still isn't quite there yet. And it shows what Forza might look like with night and precipitation. And... well, it's just a pretty awesome video featuring cars, so I thought those of you who haven't seen it might appreciate it. Anyway: enjoy. Or not.

Sound Makes Everything

lol

"Night and rain is shit in racing games. I fucking hate it and I'm sure the fans do too. Sunshine forever you bitches"

-Dan Greenawalt-

Seriously though, that was a great video. I love the fact that audio is now a priority in racing games. Nearly every dev out there recognizes the need for some great auditory experiences. Even the fans are joining in.

Just one dev left to join the party...not confident though...

Mascot

Seriously though, that was a great video. I love the fact that audio is now a priority in racing games. Nearly every dev out there recognizes the need for some great auditory experiences. Even the fans are joining in.
Apparently that video doesn't do the pCARS audio full justice, either.

saladine1

Apparently that video doesn't do the pCARS audio full justice, either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfwc88Hpey0

Love the sounds on this Group 5 BMW 320 Turbo.

Man, I would love to see Greg Hill team up with Nick Wiswell. I know the old adage of "too many chefs in the kitchen" would probably apply but still, the resulting main course would be absolutely delicious!

Are those replay angles custom or in game?

Love how many of the replay cameras focus on the car from incoming to outgoing for a lengthy time. Too many quick cuts in Forza.

my video for sure doesnt do the game justice too, since its only a in-game replay of just fooling around, compressed to hell by upload studio (&youtube),
but still could be enough to apreciate some audio details too.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yhorlxN0W8g
and btw, I am not a big fan of massive distortion.

Yeah, it can sound bad. FM4 had a little too much distortion resulting in lost details. FM5 however does it so much better.

Are those replay angles custom or in game?

Love how many of the replay cameras focus on the car from incoming to outgoing for a lengthy time. Too many quick cuts in Forza.

Yeah T10 really should have them nailed by now, dropping gameplay cameras in replays is cheap and the constant cuts along with the audio is all a bit amateurish.

Mascot

Yeah T10 really should have them nailed by now, dropping gameplay cameras in replays is cheap and the constant cuts along with the audio is all a bit amateurish.
The focus pulls, zooming and 'target finding' in the vid I posted look so natural. Dunno why T10 can't nail this after so many attempts. It really adds drama to the replays.

AdamMPSP

Hey guys, so I have a weird question, and I'll just get right to it: What is the best way for me to have sustained enjoyment from Forza 5?

So, I definitely lean more towards arcade-style racers. I loved Forza Horizon and before that Burnout Paradise. That said, I got Forza 5 for xbox one, and although I love the graphics and the driving, I'm finding myself not really interested in playing the game that much. Like I'll do a couple races, get a couple gold medals, but I don't really know what I'm supposed to be... doing? I really enjoyed the progression in Forza Horizon because each car had its own challenges and medals, so I had a real reason to race in every vehicle. With Forza 5, am I just supposed to want to race through the same cups (Mario Kart lingo, sorry, like I said, not traditionally a simulation racer) again with different cars for a different feel? I just don't feel the drive to do that. I haven't played the game that much, only a few hours, I've unlocked maybe ten cars, but I don't really know what I should be TRYING to do.

I want to stress that I'm not flame-baiting or attacking the game. I genuinely want to get as much enjoyment from it as possible, and as it is I am bored by it and feel like I must be playing it wrong. Does this mean it's just not for me and I need to wait for Forza Horizon 2? Does the fact that I'm not super into cars in real life mean I just will never be a simulation racer? I don't know.

If you have friends playing head over to Rivals mode and challenge their ghosts. There's not a lot to the career mode or the races themselves but fun can be had in mastering a circuit or car.

You'll probably find you aren't as fast as you think you are but stick at it, lose any assists and just drive.

AdamMPSP

Oh, that assists tip is interesting. Right now I play with a lot of assists on. When I tried turning some of them off, my racing went from 1st place to 12th. Just a lot of spinning out and doing 180s.

I agree with Drugstore. If the game feels too easy and the driving feels boring, then its time to remove some of those training wheels!

The game really excels at pushing you to understand the cars and tracks better and better until you can run them perfectly. Which, for some of us, takes years and years.

SegaShack

its very logical you dont want to fork out a lot of money for something you are not sure if like or not.
it makes sense that you get the 100$ wheel, and if you find enjoyment and the entire thing positive and want more, you can always sell/gift the fucker and upgrade anytime you want to. ;)

Thank you for this post. I will have to think about this but I appreciate the information everyone has given me. The 400 dollar wheel does sound amazing. I am just trying to think if it is worth paying 100 for a wheel where I can't even feel the car slipping out.

but I don't really know what I should be TRYING to do.

Here's the great thing about games like Forza. What you should be trying to do is whatever you want. There isn't a goal or aim, there's no endgame. It is a toolbox for having fun with cars. Some people like to race online, others spend time tuning, taking photos, watching replays, some just paint, some just race against AI - or a combination of these.

I just like driving the cars. I fix on one for a while and will tend to hot-lap it in Rivals mode on my favourite tracks. I'm necessarily trying to beat the times of others - just learning and enjoying the car. I tend not to tune the car at first, but after a while will add some racing tires then maybe drive a bit more. Finally I'll start adding parts.

This week I've been doing it with the original Mini. I started with it stock. Over the week it's because a 4x4 race-turbo monster. And I've had a lot of fun flinging it around Circuit Le Sarthe.

The point of Forza (and GT and others) is having fun with cars. Each corner is an adventure. We scoff at phrases like "sense of speed", people complaining that Silverstone is dull (because it's not a neon lit adventure world) and obsessions about the number of spacial dimensions a spectator.

The gaming industry has become a crack dealer. People expect to be given things all the time. Unlock, unlock, unlock - a never ending reward of sweets for the rats in the box pressing the button in a Pavlovian frenzy. And so people play shitty games thinking these games are exceptional - as they are fed unlock, reward, flashing light, bonus after bonus.

But there are still places in gaming, all too few, where playing the game is its own reward. Even here things are being squeezed - the tears of a million non-playing crybabies bemoaning having to acquire skills - means the Forza economy has been rendered meaningless. But a truth remains, pick a car you love, a track with some thrilling corners and go out there and enjoy them. There's a purity and thrill there that most games with their gaudy killstreak trinkets couldn't match.

Just have fun.

kazinova

So, what car packs does the season pass cover?

I can't seem to download the most recent one in the marketplace in Forza 5. I haven't tried the Games Store yet but it seems like it doesn't recognize that I bought the pack. I don't think we got the 10 car packs but I could be wrong.

Anyone else have this issue/know what's up?

BADNED

So, what car packs does the season pass cover?

I can't seem to download the most recent one in the marketplace in Forza 5. I haven't tried the Games Store yet but it seems like it doesn't recognize that I bought the pack. I don't think we got the 10 car packs but I could be wrong.

Anyone else have this issue/know what's up?
The Car Pass covered all six car packs released by now with the final one being this months Meguiar's Car Pack. As a bonus you also got free access to the two car booster packs that came with the two tracks. Any future content is not covered by the pass anymore.

If you are a Car Pass owner then you don't have to download anything from the Game Store or Ingame Marketplace, these are there for those who don't have the Car Pass.

Just apply the mandatory game updates, visit the dealerships and get your new rides.

kazinova

The Car Pass covered all six car packs released by now with the final one being this months Meguiar's Car Pack. As a bonus you also got free access to the two car booster packs that came with the two tracks. Any future content is not covered by the pass anymore.

If you are a Car Pass owner then you don't have to download anything from the Game Store or Ingame Marketplace, these are there for those who don't have the Car Pass.

Just apply the mandatory game updates, visit the dealerships and get your new rides.

Ahh, six 10-car packs confused my memory and made me think I was getting 10 car-packs. I'll try and get the new cars in the game and see if they already were downloaded.

AdamMPSP

Here's the great thing about games like Forza. What you should be trying to do is whatever you want. There isn't a goal or aim, there's no endgame. It is a toolbox for having fun with cars. Some people like to race online, others spend time tuning, taking photos, watching replays, some just paint, some just race against AI - or a combination of these.

I just like driving the cars. I fix on one for a while and will tend to hot-lap it in Rivals mode on my favourite tracks. I'm necessarily trying to beat the times of others - just learning and enjoying the car. I tend not to tune the car at first, but after a while will add some racing tires then maybe drive a bit more. Finally I'll start adding parts.

This week I've been doing it with the original Mini. I started with it stock. Over the week it's because a 4x4 race-turbo monster. And I've had a lot of fun flinging it around Circuit Le Sarthe.

The point of Forza (and GT and others) is having fun with cars. Each corner is an adventure. We scoff at phrases like "sense of speed", people complaining that Silverstone is dull (because it's not a neon lit adventure world) and obsessions about the number of spacial dimensions a spectator.

The gaming industry has become a crack dealer. People expect to be given things all the time. Unlock, unlock, unlock - a never ending reward of sweets for the rats in the box pressing the button in a Pavlovian frenzy. And so people play shitty games thinking these games are exceptional - as they are fed unlock, reward, flashing light, bonus after bonus.

But there are still places in gaming, all too few, where playing the game is its own reward. Even here things are being squeezed - the tears of a million non-playing crybabies bemoaning having to acquire skills - means the Forza economy has been rendered meaningless. But a truth remains, pick a car you love, a track with some thrilling corners and go out there and enjoy them. There's a purity and thrill there that most games with their gaudy killstreak trinkets couldn't match.

Just have fun.

Thanks for this. This at least makes me understand the perspective from fans of the series and simulation racing in general. I'm definitely a gamer that gets drawn in from unlocks and progression. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, but I have been looking for alternative experiences to that. I'd love to play a game that was more about my own growth and skill, and actually enjoy it for a longer period of time. I've tried to get into fighting games and racing games and even Spelunky for these reasons, but I feel like nothing really sticks for me. I really only get drawn in by narrative based games or games that have strict progression. Animal Crossing is probably the only exception to this.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to think about it and share your thoughts.

frontieruk

Thanks for this. This at least makes me understand the perspective from fans of the series and simulation racing in general. I'm definitely a gamer that gets drawn in from unlocks and progression. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, but I have been looking for alternative experiences to that. I'd love to play a game that was more about my own growth and skill, and actually enjoy it for a longer period of time. I've tried to get into fighting games and racing games and even Spelunky for these reasons, but I feel like nothing really sticks for me. I really only get drawn in by narrative based games or games that have strict progression. Animal Crossing is probably the only exception to this.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to think about it and share your thoughts.

Do many of your friends list play Forza? if not add a bunch off the GAF list, start in low level cars and hit tracks like Alps and Prague, knocking names from your list down the rankings allows for skill growth as the Gaffers tend to run clean laps, it encourages you to tune the cars as no one tends to run stock cars and you get a sense of reward when you manage to balance the car to your driving style

SegaShack

For this game I just do the tournament series or whatever they are called when you get to pick out of a few cars and do events. That is the main mode for me.

zorbsie

Another Fanatec owner here just wanting to chime in with this-

Die in a fire Microsoft.

Thanks for dropping by and contributing to the conversation. Are you coming out on Sunday for the races? Or will you be too busy burning Microsoft employees alive over a video game? Seriously dude, calm down.

Top Bottom