• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5 |OT| Open wheel, tyre squeal, orange peel, dat next-gen feel

p3tran

Banned
Great pics G Rom. Like everyone else I wish I could gift you some money. Don't forget it's a new month. I just cashed in 1.5 million with Forza Rewards.

P3tran that video is just unreal. Love seeing stuff like that.

I picked a Miura for the Sunday races.

yeah, I found the complete production of the creator. definitely worth a look:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2pHe17nYh4

about car for tomorrow, I havent tested yet, but probably may end up in a countach, poster car and all :)

Lima

Nice! Good to see people aren't just picking the high end Ferraris. Should keep things interesting tomorrow. Are you racing with us Lima? Not sure I have your GT on my list. You can add me, mine is zorbs.

Yes yes. I tried last Sunday but didn't have time.

Added you

JimiNutz

Banned
Something weird is going on with my game.
Try to launch it and get a 'before it can start, Forza 5 needs an update. Update now? 0x8015dc02' message.

I click Install and nothing happens... It just takes me to the marketplace page for Forza where I have the option to click play.

When I click play I just get the same message again though? Can't see that it is downloading any kind of update...

Devildoll

After trying and upgrading almost all ferrari and lambo's i settled on the Ferrari 430, i don't think it sounds excellent, the Gallardo LP570 is probably my favorite, but the 430 is LOUD!

Looking at all these cars, i found some UI misses, on a few of these, the super charger is called "street springs and damper"
where would i go to give a more detailed report on this?
Also, im broke now....

Something weird is going on with my game.
Try to launch it and get a 'before it can start, Forza 5 needs an update. Update now? 0x8015dc02' message.

I click Install and nothing happens... It just takes me to the marketplace page for Forza where I have the option to click play.

When I click play I just get the same message again though? Can't see that it is downloading any kind of update...

according to this

It seems to be an issue with people in the xbox beta.
some people in that thread have gotten it working by reinstalling the entire game.

Hawk269

Is Long Beach showing up in anyone's single player career mode? I thought that Dan said it would like Road America, but every career mode I enter the Long Beach track is in none of the events. It shows up fine for Free Play, but the track does not show up in the career mode.

Hawk269

After trying and upgrading almost all ferrari and lambo's i settled on the Ferrari 430, i don't think it sounds excellent, the Gallardo LP570 is probably my favorite, but the 430 is LOUD!

Looking at all these cars, i found some UI misses, on a few of these, the super charger is called "street springs and damper"
where would i go to give a more detailed report on this?
Also, im broke now....

according to this

It seems to be an issue with people in the xbox beta.
some people in that thread have gotten it working by reinstalling the entire game.

I should of read here. I had the same problem on one of the two of our Xbox Ones. The one in the living room was not fazed when I updated to newest beta dashboard, but on my second in my gaming room Forza would not start. I ended up uninstalling and re-installing and that fixed it for me.

Mascot

Drove Yas Marina for the first time yesterday.

OK, it's a pretty track to look at, but a horrible one to race on. No flow, too many hairpins, flat as a pancake. Hate it.

What's the popular opinion here?

Is Long Beach showing up in anyone's single player career mode? I thought that Dan said it would like Road America, but every career mode I enter the Long Beach track is in none of the events. It shows up fine for Free Play, but the track does not show up in the career mode.
Showed up plenty in mine, but that track has never been a positive experience for me with Drivatars of any skill level. Such a damn gorgeous track though and great fun in time trials.

Yas Marina is a great circuit, lovely flow from corner to corner once you know the lines. It's one of my favourites for testing new cars.

I quite like Yas Marina and thought it was one of the better ones? The only thing I hate about it is the middle section after the logn straight but before the hotel nitty-gritty as it feels like no one knows how to race on it (myself included).

saladine1

No problem with Yas here. I think it's a very nice track to race on and is a great inclusion in the Forza series.

I want Mugello back though...

zorbsie

Its in there, but I found its not in every league. Noticed that doing the 20 LB races in career cheevo.

zorbsie

Going to get the kids fed and be online in about 45 minutes. Didn't get a chance to test out another car so it's going to be the 1000 HP Muira. lol

BIGT468

Fan on my TV decided it didn't like living in this world anymore.:( Don't think I'm going to make it, but on the brighter side I might be going TV shopping today.

m23

If you are in the Xbox Preview beta, this is a known issue. BF4, Forza, COD etc... for me. Only workaround right now is to uninstall / reinstall the game. Going to opt out of the preview beta after this build, not worth the hassles.

I might too. I reinstalled it, started yesterday at 8:30am and it finished at 4pm. This is after the updates downloaded the night before. Microsoft needs to do something about these install times.

zorbsie

Alright fellas the standings are in and it's getting real close at the top of the list. Devildoll is making a play for first. Being part of the Canadian mafia has payed off well. :)

P3tran__________497
Scr0ne__________410
BIGT468_________375
CrudeDiatribe_____281
Zorbs____________279
SoundScream13___260
dead poul_________253
Schuey F1 _______186
Shortt Sirket______185
Block Mate_______164
Sp4ceman Sp1ff ___123
Revolver Ned______43
FrontierUK________28
CoProxamolKid____26
Phleg01__________23
Soggy Naan______19
Muerte X_________14
Thundr___________8
Munish Thiara_____6
Sleep8___________1

Haven't done the header image yet, but next week will be the 60's F1 cars. Start saving if you haven't already picked one up.

zorbsie

I paid $350 for a 1080p viewsonic

WHAT! That's crazy cheap. Reason I had to give up on my projector was the cost of the bulbs was just too crazy. But $350 is just stupid cheap. Was it some crazy sale?

P3tran, can you give me the name of the tune for the California drifter challenge. I can't get anything over 8k and it's driving me nuts.

SegaShack

I was new to the Forza series (also racing sims in general) but got this game as my main launch game and ended up loving it. It's an amazing game. I want to get a wheel to play the game and I saw this is available at gamestop. The wheel is called "Thrustmaster Ferrari 458 Spider Racing Wheel". It costs 100 bucks.

http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-one/accessories/thrustmaster-ferrari-458-spider-racing-wheel/114245

Would this be a great wheel to play the game with and add more precision to the game? I see that there are 400 dollar wheels but not really interested in paying that much for a controller. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

p3tran

Banned
I was new to the Forza series (also racing sims in general) but got this game as my main launch game and ended up loving it. It's an amazing game. I want to get a wheel to play the game and I saw this is available at gamestop. The wheel is called "Thrustmaster Ferrari 458 Spider Racing Wheel". It costs 100 bucks.

http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-one/accessories/thrustmaster-ferrari-458-spider-racing-wheel/114245

Would this be a great wheel to play the game with and add more precision to the game? I see that there are 400 dollar wheels but not really interested in paying that much for a controller. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

the cheaper wheel basically has a bungie cord inside for resistance, while the more expensive one is more complicated

1.jpg

FORCE FEEDBACK BASE WITH BRUSHLESS INDUSTRIAL MOTOR

Brushless industrial motor: Ultra-smooth Force Feedback, with zero cogging. Super-responsive, realistic Force effects, with no latency. New optimized frictionless dual-belt mechanism: Fluid and smooth steering - ultra-quiet system. Ultra-precise wheel: H.E.A.R.T HallEffect AccuRate Technology*: contactless magnetic sensor, for precision that won't decrease over time. 16-bit resolution (65536 values on the wheel's steering axis). *Patent pending

the cheaper one will do the job of adding more precision to your turning than the joypad, just a bit differently than the other one.

*zorbs, I will be sending you a message when I get to my xbone :)

WHAT! That's crazy cheap. Reason I had to give up on my projector was the cost of the bulbs was just too crazy. But $350 is just stupid cheap. Was it some crazy sale?

Combination of Amazon goodness and it being replaced by a new model 2 months later.

I already had a soundbar (needed or a stereo system since you dont want to use the projectors speaker) so for a total of $450 I got the projector and a 100" screen.

The bulb has been going for 3600 hrs (since mid 2012) in eco mode which is supposed to give me 6000+.

I would say hold off. The lack of force feedback will hinder any advantage you would get from using the wheel.

p3tran

Banned
so guys, problem...

I just received my GTE replacement rim from amazon.uk
I switched the rims, fired up the xbone, and shit happens:

1) the wheel does not function at all within forza 5.
2) pressing the joypad on the rim does absolutely nothing even on dashboard.
3) even for the basic buttons, any button I depress, none has functionality like "A" or "X" buttons. not even sure that every button does something when pressed.

so, I slapped the wheel in the pc to see what's up, and
1) Indeed I see on the button test form that pressing the joypad in all directions produces no singal at all, plus
2) the blue button labeled "SCROLL" does nothing also, and
3) on the pc application on button test, button number 9 is always lit up, like its stuck or something.

gtefuckt9k6s.jpg

so, I took a closer look at my brand new rim, and noticed this thing, that really pissed me:

the screws on the face of the wheel, the ones that have black coating, you can see they have been unscrewed because black coating is missing around some edges, and they not seem perfectly fitted back in close inspection.

sorry for the shaky pic, I think its still pretty visible.

after that, of course I fucking checked the packaging box, and I checked the bottom side, not the one I opened to get the rim out, and guess what? the carton box has been opened in the past from that side, as there is evident marks on the carton...

so guys, i am doing something very wrong here?
OR DID FUCKING AMAZON.UK JUST SOLD ME A USED, NON-WORKING WHEEL FOR NEW, AND CHARGED ME ALSO SHIPPING ACROSS EUROPE FOR THE PIECE OF SHIT ON TOP?

since the first time I bought anything from amazon was with the xbone, then the tx1 wheel and some other xbone related shit, I really dont know what is the best way to handle this.
so please advise..

p3tran

Banned
there is a button "check for updates", I pressed it multiple times and brings a message that I have the latest installed.

yet, this does not explain either the fucking screws that have been tampered, or the box itself that has been opened..

p3tran

Banned
no customs inside EU my friend. dhl brought it to me packaged and closed a couple of hours ago, enclosed in the (unopened) original amazon.uk extra boxing.
plus, even if I bought it from a country that HAD customs, it is very unlikely that they would ...unscrew the face of the wheel, or even try to package it afterwards so that it doesnt look opened.

because I know VERY well how customs work here in my country (amongst other things, I do have a customs lawyer degree) if they decide to check a package, then they just slap everything in a box and put a big sticker informing that package was inspected at customs offices.

edit:
anyway, I just had a quick chat with an amazon rep, i send him the pics and told him that i never ordered a USED item, let alone a BROKEN, NON-WORKING item.
he claimed to be a "mix-up" and told me they will be sending another one tomorrow.
I informed him that i am interested ONLY in the case they can guarantee its new, and not like this piece of shit.
they guaranteed, so if that goes well I will only have to go through the hoops of packaging the broken with a sticker they will send me, then sending it back to them, and wait to reimburse me for the shipping cost I will pay for the return....

man, it really SUCKS when someone sells used/broken shit for new. and the reason I chose amazon in the first place, instead of hunting for bargains, is exactly to avoid this piece of shit situation..!!

p3tran

Banned
so, in order to do firmware updates on the TX1, you better use win 7 and not win 8.1 which I use on my main computer.
luckily enough, I had an older laptop with win 7 near by, and firmware update worked like a charm.

it even fixed the rim's pad in button test, but not the button number 9 that still remains lit up in the test, and still it doesnt work on forza. >:O

anyways, hopefully in two days I will receive a NEW rim, and not a used one, but really, fuck this shit!!

p.s
thanks for the help cowboy 8)

shandy706

That sucks P3tran :(

I started the 1970's Formula One series this weekend. Those cars are a blast...lol.

I took a couple shots...didn't get to play much at all though...need more free time!!!

ibcPdUJ9svVhFy.jpg

iElmi3R6PYy3r.jpg

p3tran

Banned
well, worse things have happened, but still I guess I got pissed.
anyways. its done now.

regarding vintage F1, you better stick with it because if I am not wrong, thats what we will be running next Sunday :)

Lima

p3tran you shouldn't need to pay anything for the return. The return label will be pre-paid so you just have to put it on the box and hand it over to DHL.

p3tran

Banned
p3tran you shouldn't need to pay anything for the return. The return label will be pre-paid so you just have to put it on the box and hand it over to DHL.

you had me double checking the chat transcript there Ned, because I was quite pissed at that time and maybe I read wrong. but I didnt

11:48 AM BST Petros: I dont know how this works. pls explain
11:48 AM BST S*****(Amazon): You will have to return it paying the postage. Once you return it please contact us with the return postage receipt we will issue refund in that amount,
You will have to print the label and attach to the package,.

it ok though, not a problem to pay the post as long as I get it back. more pissed that they sent me a opened-before-me 'new' wheel in the first place

edit:
well, the good news is that the GTE rim feels in the hands like a quality upgrade. especially the place where you "park" your thumbs, I didnt really like the oem one. is it more heavy too drugstore_cowboy?

Yeah a fraction slower to turn by itself but not noticeably so, just feels better all round.

If you are not using 270° already for R class and above give it a go, press right on the d pad and the 'mode' button, might have to return to the title screen to get it to activate properly, if not the steering is twitchy and all fucked up, the hands won't match your movements but when it works the cars handle great. For D-S class I stick to 900°.

p3tran

Banned
Yeah a fraction slower to turn by itself but not noticeably so, just feels better all round.

If you are not using 270° already for R class and above give it a go, press right on the d pad and the 'mode' button, might have to return to the title screen to get it to activate properly, if not the steering is twitchy and all fucked up, the hands won't match your movements but when it works the cars handle great. For D-S class I stick to 900°.

well... :D I guess i will properly test in two days. right now the most I can do is to hold it in my arms and say "vroom-vroom" :D and maybe break it in pieces if I try again and it doesnt work :D

SegaShack

the cheaper wheel basically has a bungie cord inside for resistance, while the more expensive one is more complicated

1.jpg

the cheaper one will do the job of adding more precision to your turning than the joypad, just a bit differently than the other one.

*zorbs, I will be sending you a message when I get to my xbone :)

I would say hold off. The lack of force feedback will hinder any advantage you would get from using the wheel.

Thank you for the information. I am confused about what Force Feedback means in this case though. Is Force Feedback rumble? Or does it mean that the wheel reacts to your cars movements in the game?

Thank you.

zorbsie

league_week189vyqa.png

70's F1

You asked for it, so here it is. Hope everyone has one of these bad boys, at 1.65 million, it might take awhile to save up for one. :)

Car class max R900
1976 Ferrari #1 Scuderia Ferrari 312 T2
1976 McLaren #11 Team McLaren M23

Tracks
Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps
Long Beach (There will be bumping, sorry)

Everyone is welcome to come out on Sunday. Races start at 2pm EST. They usually only take about 15 minutes each and some of us stick around to race just for fun afterwards. All skill levels are present, my stats prove it :) So don't be shy and come on out. But if you can't make it...

Time Trials
Same cars same tracks. Post your WIP times here and PM your final times. I'll add them to the standings on Sunday night.

Season is almost over. Week 20 will be the last week. If you have any other suggested cars/tracks, I'm all ears. For week 20 I want to do just one long race, like 20 - 30 minutes. Any opinions on that idea? Not sure the car or track, I'm just thinking length right now.

Thank you for the information. I am confused about what Force Feedback means in this case though. Is Force Feedback rumble? Or does it mean that the wheel reacts to your cars movements in the game?

Thank you.

Its not rumble. Like when driving a real car your wheel will have react to whats going on. While I feel you could get away with no FFB in the other games, there are some tracks, and even cars I would be nervous about driving minus FFB.

Force feedback streams you information about what the car is doing, along with basic stuff like collisions and running over kerbs or grass you can feel grip (plus the loss of) torque and the weight of the car moving around.

Although not essential you'll find yourself lost after experiencing it and going back to none.

SegaShack

Its not rumble. Like when driving a real car your wheel will have react to whats going on. While I feel you could get away with no FFB in the other games, there are some tracks, and even cars I would be nervous about driving minus FFB.
Ah I see, so it would spin the wheel accordingly with force feedback. Does the Spider have no rumble as well? I rely on the rumble triggers a lot and with no rumble it would be a downgrade from a standard controller.

p3tran

Banned
Ah I see, so it would spin the wheel accordingly with force feedback. Does the Spider have no rumble as well? I rely on the rumble triggers a lot and with no rumble it would be a downgrade from a standard controller.

its very logical you dont want to fork out a lot of money for something you are not sure if like or not.
it makes sense that you get the 100$ wheel, and if you find enjoyment and the entire thing positive and want more, you can always sell/gift the fucker and upgrade anytime you want to. ;)

Top Bottom