• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5 |OT| Open wheel, tyre squeal, orange peel, dat next-gen feel

Cygnus

Banned
Depends on the weather. Actually had the XBox on the other day for the first time in weeks. Couldn't play anything, of course, due to updates, but it was on.

It was entirely overblown and didn't need fixing. It played like any previous Forza if you ignored it and dismissed any messages (were there any?) with "Don't show this again".
In Forza 4 they threw money and cars at you left and right, I heard in 5 they were much tighter with money/prizes, as an incentive to buy cars with real cash as a shortcut.

otakuderek

Anyone having crashing issues? I'm trying to play through career mode and the game black screens on Road America and crashes to Home. Any solutions?

p3tran

Banned
What about the whole microtransaction issue? It must have been there for them to fix it like they did.

there was this topic where everybody was complaining about how fucked the game economy was, before ANY kind of patch.
iirc I posted some pics of my garage, already owning all expensive car and then some...
and that was quite early ;)

as you can witness now, economy is never a problem. correct?
now, if you want to understand how "fucked" the game was, you will have to double the car prices and basically subtract 33% from the payouts.
you do this calculation after one of your races, then jump to buy a car and do the calculation there too.
do you see a worthy reason there the amount of combat this game had?
after all its only the best launch game ever! ;)
also, worth mentioning that the economy changes were done back in december 2013.

even for the rent any car complaint, it was widely known (to the owners/players) that you could bypass just by selecting an available car then switching to one marked not available.

good thing is though, that even though people were bitching for no legitimate reason,
there WAS an intention to bring an extra pass on top of the 50euro pass, we discovered it the day smartglass app launched, but the wave of illegitimate complaints made this to never, ever appear. so I'll give you this one ;)

Cygnus

Banned
there was this topic where everybody was complaining about how fucked the game economy was, before ANY kind of patch.
iirc I posted some pics of my garage, already owning all expensive car and then some...
and that was quite early ;)

as you can witness now, economy is never a problem. correct?
now, if you want to understand how "fucked" the game was, you will have to double the car prices and basically subtract 33% from the payouts.
you do this calculation after one of your races, then jump to buy a car and do the calculation there too.
do you see a worthy reason there the amount of combat this game had?
after all its only the best launch game ever! ;)
also, worth mentioning that the economy changes were done back in december 2013.

even for the rent any car complaint, it was widely known (to the owners/players) that you could bypass just by selecting an available car then switching to one marked not available.

good thing is though, that even though people were bitching for no legitimate reason,
there WAS an intention to bring an extra pass on top of the 50euro pass, we discovered it the day smartglass app launched, but the wave of illegitimate complaints made this to never, ever appear. so I'll give you this one ;)
Thanks for the explanation, definitely different from what I've heard elsewhere.

p3tran

Banned
Depends on the weather. Actually had the XBox on the other day for the first time in weeks. Couldn't play anything, of course, due to updates, but it was on.
:)
well, at least the console will be on "ready to go!" status.
(hope weather is good over there. over here its beach time)

p.s.
@Cygnus no problem. and if anybody tells you different, just direct him over here ;)

If you want to know the truth about the launch economy you have to get it from a non-VIP, non-Forza-rewards player. The posters I've seen talk about how flush they were with cash and cars were all hardcore players of the series and VIPs too.

Everybody conveniently leaves that stuff out, and both of those substantially augment the game's rewards. Then there were the post release patches that doubled the regular rate of reward while cutting the costs of cars by nearly half.

And then of course the changes that allowed all cars to be used in free play, and that removed the second paywall over premium DLC cars (buy the car with real money, but then spend credits to unlock it in-game OR buy tokens with real money to do the same).

The game's economy has been significantly changed since launch, and all for the better imho. Forza 5 is also just fucking fantastic.

Mascot

Is there any sales data about next-gen wheel adopters compared to last gen? Just wondering if the bean-counters got their sums right, and if all the ill will was worth it.

p3tran

Banned
@NullPointer I can partially understand the non-vip thing, but even in this case, either you get the limited edition which includes everything, or get vip afterwards for what? 20 bucks?
and we are talking about this game, that was bundled in europe in day one packages (aka free of charge) and offered in the usa later on as an alternative to titanfall bundles. best launch game ever I repeat :)
but anyway, as I wrote in the start, I understand the non-vip thing.

what about the forza rewards? they are still 100% free last time I checked. if someone doesnt play the game as he is told that the game is played, and then complains, how valid is the complain? its not like the forza rewards system was hidden and not tooted by t10 even before launch("total site overhaul","check the monthly rewards" etc)

about cars in free play, I guess you didnt have your xbone back then, but read what i wrote above or search the youtube videos and/or official site topics ;)

the fact that they changed the DLC cars to be free of game money in your garage, is by no means a game changer. it might help them on dlc sales though.

you are correct that economy has changed for the better (especially for the casual player), but for players that have been playing forza before 5, I think not even one found anything that was worth bitching about. at least no one I am aware of. (and i know PLENTY of forza veteran dogs)

@mascot its worth it, the wheel is good enough

welcome, but to me it is more like you missed 5 months than avoided anything.
forza 5 is the same sooo_good.gif since day 1 ;)

edit:
'sup crude! :) will you be joining sunday?

Haha yea man, maybe! I didn't follow it too closely, but I saw stuff about rebalancing the unlock rate of the cars etc., obviously I don't know first hand though. Thanks for the welcome though, the game is freaking awesome.

Is there any sales data about next-gen wheel adopters compared to last gen? Just wondering if the bean-counters got their sums right, and if all the ill will was worth it.

Shitty situation for existing wheel owners but in a way it was nice to have a decent quality, reasonably priced wheel package at the beginning of the generation, a better move than dropping a £600 wheel a year or so from the end of the console's life.

Maybe Thomas did all he could but I wonder what's so special about his relationship with MS that he couldn't come up with something.

what about the forza rewards? they are still 100% free last time I checked.
Definitely, and I love the system, and I use it regularly. But as most here have played multiple Forza titles you've gotten rewards from those previous games as well.

I just mean that for somebody new to the series that gets a regular copy of Forza, their rate of reward is going to be very different from longtime Forza players w/ rewards, VIP members, limited edition buyers, etc. Especially so back at launch. But its exactly those players who dismiss any arguments about the game's economy and talk about how much stuff they gain at a regular clip. Its a skewed perspective.

But all that said, Turn 10 came out and changed things, and for that I applaud them. And I'm damn glad they did so as it was the final selling point that got me to jump in.

p3tran

Banned
yes, the fact that they give extra shit to the ones that play their games regularly, thats a good thing not a bad one.

for new players to the series, I already agreed with you that the changes made it easier for them, but lets not drift away here, it made it easier to just collect any car they want without any hassle, or any skillz ;)

to put this in perspective for you, I had to ask for a gift of 10 million in forza 4 from a friend, in order to buy some expensive cars and get an achievement. and guess when I did that? a month or two before forza 5 launched. and guess since when I was playing forza 4? (or 3 or 2 or 1 for that matter)
yes, since day 1 ;)
and now, since months ago, I have multiple f1 cars in different liveries on forza 5, I have multiples of everything I want (hell, I even got one of my freaking reventons permanently transformed to a rear wheel drive drift car :) ) and 15 mil in the bank
And I did not pay a freaking cent more than my forza usual: forza collector's and car pass.

And I did not pay a freaking cent more than my forza usual: forza collector's and car pass.
Yes, you directly paid a premium for a much higher rate of rewards (and gift cars), and you're seeing the results of that. We don't disagree on any of this.

To turn around from that perspective and say that all criticism of launch Forza's economy was illegitimate? Well I don't think you're in a good position to call that out - not when you're using your personal experience with the game on fast-forward as evidence.

p3tran

Banned
Yes, you directly paid a premium for a much higher rate of rewards (and gift cars), and you're seeing the results of that. We don't disagree on any of this.

No, we disagree 100% here! the only reason I or -for all I know- everybody gets the collectors edition, is because of the great exclusive cars and special deals and lots of car gifts and everything.
I dont know even a single person that ever said that he bought the collectors because of the rate of rewards.
never happened. ever!

here, dont take my word for it, have a look yourself what you are getting in the collector's edition:
http://www.ibtimes.com/forza-motors...nnounced-pre-orders-start-now-prices-revealed

No, we disagree 100% here! the only reason I or -for all I know- everybody gets the collectors edition, is because of the great exclusive cars and special deals and lots of car gifts and everything.
Well I didn't mean that you bought it only for the accelerated rewards, but that x2 reward rate (for VIP), and the 1,250 car tokens and the gift cars through VIP and Limited Edition perks means that you not only started at the line with a bunch of stuff that new players would have to play for quite a while to gain the equivalent of (like credit equivalent to those free tokens), and even then you'd outpace them twofold in credits and affinity with every race.

That's all. I'm not getting on your case or anything - just saying that your personal rate of reward isn't at all comparable to a new player buying the normal version. That player starts with zero and gets half credits and half affinity and zero gift cars outside of the game's initial free cars. And any cars they would have bought via DLC would have also cost them in-game credits to unlock, until a few weeks ago.

Its a night and day difference in terms of experiencing the economy.

But luckily this has improved dramatically.

p3tran

Banned
Its a night and day difference in terms of experiencing the economy.

But luckily this has improved dramatically.
yes, on this I can agree. before it was ~normal, now its ~easy. (see above my forza 4 - forza 5 comparison, if you have no prior forza experience)
oh, and btw I still have ~1200+ something tokens I think. I would still have the total amount untouched, but on day 2 I went on a upgrade frenzy and when I run out of money the game just took a few of my credits instead. I understood what happened after I stopped spamming the category/upgrade button :)

edit: you know what was rebalanced to less rewarding than in previous forzas? the amount of money game gives to creators, whether livery or tuning related.

yes, on this I can agree. before it was ~normal, now its ~easy. (see above my forza 4 - forza 5 comparison, if you have no prior forza experience)
oh, and btw I still have ~1200+ something tokens I think. I would still have the total amount untouched, but on day 2 I went on a upgrade frenzy and when I run out of money the game just took a few of my credits instead. I understood what happened after I stopped spamming the category/upgrade button :)

edit: you know what was rebalanced to less rewarding than in previous forzas? the amount of money game gives to creators, whether livery or tuning related.

I agree the game was made way to easy post updates.

The lack of rewards for tuning/painting isn't bad because of a need for money, but because its a less satisfying feeling being told someone is using your work instead of having the direct correlation of a reward for every download.

Pallie

Banned
smallest-violin.jpg

Pretend that's a suppository and use as directed.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Anyway to get garage cars for guests in split screen?

Just got my second controller and cant figure it out.....aint got time to search through all the menus and shit.

Whats funny is that he is acting like the universe has done him wrong, when many of us have gone through the same situation.

I myself sunk a good amount of money into the Fanatec ecosystem

$250 PWTS
$50 PS 3 wireless dongle
$50 H/Sequential shifters
$200 Clubsport pedals

With shipping its ~$610

Not including the Wheel Stand and CSL seat because they can be used for other wheels, but adding that would bring it to ~$1110

But you don't see me dedicating 80% of my post crying about it.

And he claims to have the CSR wheel which is kind of junk anyway.

The desire to mod my TX wheel has taken me strange places. I some how ended up on some Chinese websites looking at some bootleg cheap Momo steering wheels.

zorbsie

Buy the Momo wheel dude!

Also, standings have been updated. Again, great races guys. I've got the next race setup for next week done, I just need to take a pic for the header. Probably up tomorrow. Going to play Wolfenstein tonight :)

G Rom

Thanks guys for the support regarding in-game money, I don't want to put Helios in a bad position though and I wasn't asking him for a favour either. :)
Anyway, here are some new photos :

mobile.425nyk67.jpg

mobile.426v9kzx.jpg

mobile.4276lurg.jpg

mobile.42897u3f.jpg

mobile.429resfm.jpg

mobile.430jrsdh.jpg

mobile.431fok2i.jpg

mobile.432opje1.jpg

zorbsie

Dat Lancia! hhnnnnng. Sogood.gif etc etc. Great stuff G Rom. How do you go about picking car/location. Do you already have an idea before taking the shot or do you take the car out to different tracks to get a feel for how the two go together?

Bobnob

Hi Guys, just popped on to let you know that i've shared a Indy 500 tune on all of the Dallara's, i ran a 38.6 in test drive this morning which is top 10 i think and i'm on a pad. Please try it out, i'm sure one of you wheel user could maybe get top 5. Let me know how you get on.Edit: You should be getting 237mph down the strait if not re-download.
Just ran a .6 what put me 17th Overall.
File name: Indy 500

Gt: Bob Dixon 76

Please rate if you like, i'm after the achievments! :)

zorbsie

league_week19cwqv2.png

Skyline! Not just chilli.
Car class max C500
2002 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec II
1997 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec
1971 Nissan Skyline 2000GT-R

Tracks
Road America West
Sebring Club Circuit

Everyone is welcome to come out on Sunday. Races start at 2pm EST. They usually only take about 15 minutes each and some of us stick around to race just for fun afterwards. All skill levels are present, my stats prove it :) So don't be shy and come on out. But if you can't make it...

Time Trials
Same cars same tracks. Post your WIP times here and PM your final times. I'll add them to the standings on Sunday night.

Was thinking of putting in the 2012 GT-R Black Edition. It would raise the max car class to A700. But am worried everyone would just pick it and the older cars wouldn't get any love. What do you guys think?

league_week19cwqv2.png

Skyline! Not just chilli.
Car class max C500
2002 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec II
1997 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec
1971 Nissan Skyline 2000GT-R

Tracks
Road America West
Sebring Club Circuit

Everyone is welcome to come out on Sunday. Races start at 2pm EST. They usually only take about 15 minutes each and some of us stick around to race just for fun afterwards. All skill levels are present, my stats prove it :) So don't be shy and come on out. But if you can't make it...

Time Trials
Same cars same tracks. Post your WIP times here and PM your final times. I'll add them to the standings on Sunday night.

Was thinking of putting in the 2012 GT-R Black Edition. It would raise the max car class to A700. But am worried everyone would just pick it and the older cars wouldn't get any love. What do you guys think?

You seem to be missing the R32...

I've read some rumours about the Nurburgring again, people seem to think it (or another track) are going to drop around E3.

Anybody know where this might have come from?

zorbsie

Anybody know where this might have come from?

From our hopes and dreams. lol
But seriously, after the Long Beach DLC I was actually excited to see what Turn10 could do with Monza. The ring would be amazing, but at this point I'm not holding my breath for it.

EDIT: Nice move Turn10. Another 2 car packs for season pass holders. Classy. Can't wait to see what will be in them. Also, that last shot with the airplane looks amazing.

Top Bottom