• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5 |OT| Open wheel, tyre squeal, orange peel, dat next-gen feel

saladine1

Thanks for dropping by and contributing to the conversation. Are you coming out on Sunday for the races? Or will you be too busy burning Microsoft employees alive over a video game? Seriously dude, calm down.

Hey, Mascot shits on MS regularly...oh I see, it's because he's got Cary Grant in his avatar he gets a pass...

Might be interested in the Rim, but not the pedals!..

I would be interested in the pedals but I'm in Murica

797421732_1200263.gif

So I got my replacement Xbox (third time's the charm?) and Forza 5 reinstalled and taken for a spin.

Tried my first ever F1 car too (that Lotus), and holy goddamned pod-racing crabcakes, those things are amazing. Tearing the road up in old Le Mans and Spa and Road America and Long Beach and Yas Marina is a complete joy. Just that free-fall windflapping whizzing sound as you hit a long straight and try to unravel the fabric of space/time. Whooooosh.

Only thing is, and now I say this knowing next to nothing about F1, but the brakes on that Lotus seem physically impossible. Maybe the technology exists to allow a car to decelerate from warp factor 10 to 20mph in half a second, but every time I did so in Forza it took me out of the game because I just couldn't imagine a human being calmly dealing with such forces. Its so incredibly quick to decelerate in-game that I figured the driver should be dead, and if not dead, then the walls should come closing in before passing out. Something. Anything.

It sure is fun though :)

frontieruk

So I got my replacement Xbox (third time's the charm?) and Forza 5 reinstalled and taken for a spin.

Tried my first ever F1 car too (that Lotus), and holy goddamned pod-racing crabcakes, those things are amazing. Tearing the road up in old Le Mans and Spa and Road America and Long Beach and Yas Marina is a complete joy. Just that free-fall windflapping whizzing sound as you hit a long straight and try to unravel the fabric of space/time. Whooooosh.

Only thing is, and now I say this knowing next to nothing about F1, but the brakes on that Lotus seem physically impossible. Maybe the technology exists to allow a car to decelerate from warp factor 10 to 20mph in half a second, but every time I did so in Forza it took me out of the game because I just couldn't imagine a human being calmly dealing with such forces. Its so incredibly quick to decelerate in-game that I figured the driver should be dead, and if not dead, then the walls should come closing in before passing out. Something. Anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWX9dZVgRIA

Nope it's real

Snubbers

Yeah, although F1 Brakes are immense (over 5G of load on the driver, here's an old comparison video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1jCiU-4K5Y), when you have no feedback from the game, it does feel odd..

Pallie

Banned
Thanks for dropping by and contributing to the conversation. Are you coming out on Sunday for the races? Or will you be too busy burning Microsoft employees alive over a video game? Seriously dude, calm down.

Sorry to have offended you with my previous post. What I really meant to say was -

Well, that nails it. Fuck Microsoft to hell and back in a sack full of rusty razorblades. I'll never own a Bone now, and never play Forza beyond FM4. Greed has triumphed.

There.

Sorry to have offended you with my previous post. What I really meant to say was -

Well, that nails it. Fuck Microsoft to hell and back in a sack full of rusty razorblades. I'll never own a Bone now, and never play Forza beyond FM4. Greed has triumphed.

There.

smallest-violin.jpg

zorbsie

There.

See. That wasn't so hard. So, we'll see you on Sunday for race day?

SegaShack

I find it crazy how it's Microsoft always viewed as the greedy/evil one, even though in this case Sony is doing the exact same thing.

Lets face it, if the wheels were forwards compatible the companies who make these would lose out on a lot of money, as would Sony and Microsoft who officially licenses the wheels.

Cygnus

Banned
Does anyone know what AA solution this game uses? i got to play it recently and while it looked very nice and crisp there was quite a bit of aliasing

also those rumble triggers are so great

Mascot

Sony are also guilty but faint hope does still exist on that front.

I guess it's the whole Fanatec/Forza marketing bait & switch that gets my goat. There were all sorts of reasonable implied expectations following that.

I know there were GT wheels for the PS2 but at least those still worked a generation later, and still could work this gen.

The taste is still very sour, but Fanatec-friendly FM4 offers more content than FM5 so its not all bad. But the whole situation is stopping me jumping next-gen and leaning me towards a switch to PC gaming. The price of a new ffb wheel rig added to the price of the console would go a long way to offsetting the cost of a gaming PC.

Anyway. No rush. No compelling reasons to do one thing or the other right now.

Cygnus

Banned

I guess it's the whole Fanatec/Forza marketing bait & switch that gets my goat. There were all sorts of reasonable implied expectations following that.

I know there were GT wheels for the PS2 but at least those still worked a generation later, and still could work this gen.

The taste is still very sour, but Fanatec-friendly FM4 offers more content than FM5 so its not all bad. But the whole situation is stopping me jumping next-gen and leaning me towards a switch to PC gaming. The price of a new ffb wheel rig added to the price of the console would go a long way to offsetting the cost of a gaming PC.

You cant go wrong with PC gaming as far as sims go, Assetto Corsa especially offers the best driving experience i've ever had on a simulation. Of course there is Iracing but its much too expensive IMO.

Anyway. No rush. No compelling reasons to do one thing or the other right now.

While the branded wheels implied a relationship, I never once thought it was 100% that the wheels would carry over. In the FM4 thread I posted many times my desire to by the CSR wheel, but was going to wait to see if they would carry over. Assuming anything is just setting yourself up for disappointment. Hell the first couple of Fanatc wheels were all Porsche branded, should I have assumed that every wheel going forward would be a Porsche replica?

But the entire situation is just made worse by both companies silence on the issue. MS not saying anything till a month before launch, and Sony saying all wheels are welcome as long as they pay a licensing fee to be on our console . Both companies handling things pretty awful, and the wheel manufactures can't say anything because they don't want to hurt business relationships.

Cygnus

Banned
Ah no I've still got the TX, plan on just swapping the wheel base over when needed as the rim and pedals are compatible.

Ah right, It's a shame to have to buy 2 hugely expensive wheels if you want to game on both platforms, I'd love to use a good wheel with Forza but due to microsofts restrictions i'll have to stick with the pad i'm afraid.

Lima

Makes sense. I assume Horizon 2 will change this, hopefully not at the cost of framerate again.

Will most likely be 1080p/30 with a form of FXAA. I mean full day and night cycle and the rumored dynamic weather system, that will be pushing this box hard.
And it is expected that it looks as amazing as the first one did. If you ask me 30 was fine for the first one and I certainly don't see it changing for the second.

Cygnus

Banned
Will most likely be 1080p/30 with a form of FXAA. I mean full day and night cycle and the rumored dynamic weather system, that will be pushing this box hard.
And it is expected that it looks as amazing as the first one did. If you ask me 30 was fine for the first one and I certainly don't see it changing for the second.

Dynamic weather? awesome if true. I really hope these things makes their way to the Motorsport games, i really expected Forza 5 to have dirt and night racing after horizon, but I know a new generation is always difficult.

And didn't the first Horizon use 4x MSAA and FXAA? quite impressive.

You bought it just for the rim?

Nah I bought it just for the base, comes with a GTE rim so I'll have two of them. I thought selling off the second rim and pedals will offset some of the cost and lose the clutter. May keep the pedals and let my kid use it on his setup when I'm not playing.

Dynamic weather? awesome if true. I really hope these things makes their way to the Motorsport games, i really expected Forza 5 to have dirt and night racing after horizon, but I know a new generation is always difficult.

Had F5 released on the 360 I think some of Horizon's elements may have transferred over but being rebuilt for this gen is costly given the time, there's hope Horizon 2 will become a testbed for some form of weather and night racing to cross over to FM.

Nah I bought it just for the base, comes with a GTE rim so I'll have two of them. I thought selling off the second rim and pedals will offset some of the cost and lose the clutter. May keep the pedals and let my kid use it on his setup when I'm not playing.

Why did you need the other base, 2 setups?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
any news/rumblings/rumors on future dlc (the ring, pacific raceways, etc)? another new track could get me playing again - even with my lack of interest in racing with a pad. maybe e3? timing seems about right, what was the spacing between road america and long beach?

Cygnus

Banned
If pCARS and GT7 are good I'll look at the PS4 again, there's also a chance of Assetto Corsa on it too. Might work out better than keep upgrading the PC.

Certainly not for Drive Club though.

Arent Pcars and AC coming to the One as well? Also any interest in GT6 on PS4? For my personally they would need to fix the sounds for me to purchase another GT game, they are shockingly dated.

Lima

Correct. It was really impressive. Probably the cleanest image quality of any title last gen. I don't expect that same quality for 2 but you never know. The drop to 30fps is freeing up a lot of resources.

Had F5 released on the 360 I think some of Horizon's elements may have transferred over but being rebuilt for this gen is costly given the time, there's hope Horizon 2 will become a testbed for some form of weather and night racing to cross over to FM.

FM 5 was on the standard two year dev cycle as T10 themselves noted. Now of course that was not enough time to do what they wanted with every car now being auto vista and stuff.
At the end of the day I'm still happy that they didn't made the same mistake as Sony by putting it on last gen.
I'd say it's a safe bet that if FM6 doesn't have either weather or night races we will never see it. Maybe Dan just likes the sun too much.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

horizon looked like vaseline was smeared all over the screen. i hated their AA solution. forza 4's sharpness, and jaggies, looked much much better to me.

I dunno how well pCARS and AC would run on the X1, I'll happily take a resolution drop to sustain 60fps but I worry about getting hyped and they end up like GT5 with tearing and shit. Another wheel just lets me keep my options open.

If Forza took the the racing a bit more seriously, adding some options and variety I wouldn't think about looking elsewhere.

Cygnus

Banned
horizon looked like vaseline was smeared all over the screen. i hated their AA solution. forza 4's sharpness, and jaggies, looked much much better to me.

Impressive nonetheless for such an old piece of hardware, I probably would have preferred 4xAA on its own but i know people hate any form of aliasing

I wish there were more simple fictional tracks— Camino Viejo, Alps, Prague are all epic locations that take man-years to make; can I just have some tracks set in the boonies like Maple Valley to mimic the small scale GT and Formula Ford racing series found throughout North America?

LS1 + roll cage + slicks + poorly applied sponsorship decals from your local pizza/sex shop and away you go.

Even something something like another Sidewinder could be fun (y'know, if it actually was fun; which Sidewinder routinely wasn't).

I'm just bitching because there's no mod-able closed-wheel simulation racing game on the Mac.

Picked up an X1 and got Forza. So so good. I understand I avoided the dark days before a few patches, but at least the experience right now, is perfect. Really really great stuff.

p3tran

Banned
Picked up an X1 and got Forza. So so good. I understand I avoided the dark days before a few patches, but at least the experience right now, is perfect. Really really great stuff.

welcome, but to me it is more like you missed 5 months than avoided anything.
forza 5 is the same sooo_good.gif since day 1 ;)

edit:
'sup crude! :) will you be joining sunday?

'sup crude! :) will you be joining sunday?

Depends on the weather. Actually had the XBox on the other day for the first time in weeks. Couldn't play anything, of course, due to updates, but it was on.

What about the whole microtransaction issue? It must have been there for them to fix it like they did.

It was entirely overblown and didn't need fixing. It played like any previous Forza if you ignored it and dismissed any messages (were there any?) with "Don't show this again".

Top Bottom