• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5 |OT| Open wheel, tyre squeal, orange peel, dat next-gen feel

I didn't have much time, still trying to get more credits to buy more cars but here is a small test, nothing fancy with no custom logos (don't have any yet lol) but you have to start somewhere right ;)

Sorry for terrible pictures, I didn't have time to mess with settings either. This is only a test to see how much credits can be earned with paintjobs. If you guys have a minute or two go and download the paint so I can at least have an estimate. I will start working on serious stuff this weekend, should have some extra time to make something fancy.

I hope Jub3 is around ;)

11041783096_ab497d2a6a_c.jpg

11041782686_184faa6857_c.jpg

11041783656_ee2af8e72a_c.jpg

adelante

I didn't have much time, still trying to get more credits to buy more cars but here is a small test, nothing fancy with no custom logos (don't have any yet lol) but you have to start somewhere right ;)

Sorry for terrible pictures, I didn't have time to mess with settings either. This is only a test to see how much credits can be earned with paintjobs. If you guys have a minute or two go and download the paint so I can at least have an estimate. I will start working on serious stuff this weekend, should have some extra time to make something fancy.

I hope Jub3 is around ;)

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7364/11041783096_ab497d2a6a_c.jpg[//IMG]

[IMG]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7453/11041782686_184faa6857_c.jpg[//IMG]

[IMG]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7359/11041783656_ee2af8e72a_c.jpg[//IMG][/QUOTE]

Damn...design looks great, looking forward to see the "fancier" stuff.

Levi

Banned
Sorry of this is a common question, bit Google was no help... How do I use the 3 day one cars? If it matters I have the digital version of Forza 5 but I also downloaded and installed a separate file of the day one cars, which are not on my garage.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Sorry of this is a common question, bit Google was no help... How do I use the 3 day one cars? If it matters I have the digital version of Forza 5 but I also downloaded and installed a separate file of the day one cars, which are not on my garage.

it took at least 24-48 hours for mine to show up as a gift, which i had to download under messages before it ended up in my garage

EDIT: maybe this was for forza rewards cars... nm.

You still have to buy them, they are just available to purchase like any other DLC car.

it took at least 24-48 hours for mine to show up as a gift, which i had to download under messages before it ended up in my garage

Really? I see them in the store but they weren't gifted to me.

saladine1

I don't know if anyone has noticed but when picking up good speed in cockpit, the chassis/suspension starts to make a lot of noise. I requested this from Nick Wiswell and he obliged. What a legend!

Also, turbo spool isn't just some generic sample either. Different spools for different cars and turbo's. Different BOV's for different cars and turbos, and they are all pressure sensitive.

The tyre sounds are absolutely wonderful too. They react and sound realistic.
The crowds add so much to the game. Flying down pit-straight with all that lovely reverb and crowd noise is an orgasmic experience.

As you can tell, I'm excited about sound.

By the way, a surround sound setup is wonderful as the ambient and spatial sound are so fucking good in this game. But to actually hear the smallest details, a good pair of headphones is essential. A lot of work has gone into the sound design.
This is definitely award winning stuff.

Honestly, I've never felt this kind of sensation before in a racing game. The cockpit view with the windscreen tint and reflections, the sound, the visuals, AI and handling model is an experience to behold. All this with a fucking controller!
Imagine what a wheel could add...

2beep

Banned
yea i think the wheel will be nice, already got the gte rim and t500 with both rims coming next week
i hope the t500 pedals work with the tx wheel

Aptos

Anyone else order the Thrustmaster wheel? Did they just botch their supply chain? I thought they were supposed to be out on day one. They posted pics of wheels all boxed up on a pallet like 3 weeks ago and now I can find anywhere that is shipping them before the 6th or December...

Loving the game so far. My only major gripe is the lack of track environments. I do think there are a few minor tweaks that could improve the game. See what you think folks:

1. The option to quit race series from the post-race menu, rather than having to load the next event first.
  2. A clearer indication of the requirements for each career event, the class allowed, whether tuning or stock. Some events allow tuning, some events require the player to remain within class, others use stock models only - this would be fine if the career mode made these things clear.
  3. An option for career events to use stock car models. For example the first track toy series requires heavy tuning for success, which seems a shame given how good those cars are. Freeplay at least does seem to use non-tuned versions if the player selects a stock model.
  4. Some of the more detailed multiplayer options should be implemented in freeplay. So for example the ability to force a freeplay race to use a particular car model rather than just force the broader car class. If you want to race against just classic F1 cars one has to set up an AI private race in multiplayer, in freeplay you can just set car class so some AI cars use modern GT/LMP cars against you.
  5. A slight tweak in the finances. While I agree with the idea of removing prize cars I think a change needs to be made to levelling up otherwise the XP system is pointless. I've achieved level 28 and the reward for each level is still 31,500 credits each time. It's a decent amount as levels come up very quickly.I think that either this credit reward should increase very slightly each time or race prize money should be related to player level. So at level 28 races earn more than level 10. Doesn't have to be much, just a tweak to make there seem a point to being a higher level.
  6. I'd welcome the ability to tune cars or at least load tuning setups from the career pre-race menu. This option was present in previous Forza Motorsport games. One can change setup before each race but it requires quitting out to the main menu then reloading the race.
  7. Disallowing drag tires in regular races. Allowing such tires in races seems a bit of a cheat. Until drag races are included in DLC we should be blocked from using the tires in a circuit race. The drag tires makes it easy to create overpowered tunings that bypass class restrictions (not that I haven't done it myself!).

flashmouth

Neo Member
I read it several times now that you guys get 31.500cr per driver level increase. I only get half, which kinda sucks given that there are only this few credits in the system for wins already.
Is this some kind of LE thing or is it tied to a certain driver level?

saladine1

Loving the game so far. My only major gripe is the lack of track environments. I do think there are a few minor tweaks that could improve the game. See what you think folks:

1. The option to quit race series from the post-race menu, rather than having to load the next event first.
  2. A clearer indication of the requirements for each career event, the class allowed, whether tuning or stock. Some events allow tuning, some events require the player to remain within class, others use stock models only - this would be fine if the career mode made these things clear.
  3. An option for career events to use stock car models. For example the first track toy series requires heavy tuning for success, which seems a shame given how good those cars are. Freeplay at least does seem to use non-tuned versions if the player selects a stock model.
  4. Some of the more detailed multiplayer options should be implemented in freeplay. So for example the ability to force a freeplay race to use a particular car model rather than just force the broader car class. If you want to race against just classic F1 cars one has to set up an AI private race in multiplayer, in freeplay you can just set car class so some AI cars use modern GT/LMP cars against you.
  5. A slight tweak in the finances. While I agree with the idea of removing prize cars I think a change needs to be made to levelling up otherwise the XP system is pointless. I've achieved level 28 and the reward for each level is still 31,500 credits each time. It's a decent amount as levels come up very quickly.I think that either this credit reward should increase very slightly each time or race prize money should be related to player level. So at level 28 races earn more than level 10. Doesn't have to be much, just a tweak to make there seem a point to being a higher level.
  6. I'd welcome the ability to tune cars or at least load tuning setups from the career pre-race menu. This option was present in previous Forza Motorsport games. One can change setup before each race but it requires quitting out to the main menu then reloading the race.
  7. Disallowing drag tires in regular races. Allowing such tires in races seems a bit of a cheat. Until drag races are included in DLC we should be blocked from using the tires in a circuit race. The drag tires makes it easy to create overpowered tunings that bypass class restrictions (not that I haven't done it myself!).

Agree with everything.

A friend of mine was getting frustrated by the lack of detailed information and requirements for a racing series. Don't know how that passed.
And yeah, not being able to quit after a race and having to proceed to another race before you can quit, is cumbersome..

Mascot

From reading various FM5 threads here (and elsewhere) it seems that an awful lot of "odd" decisions have been applied to the game.

Fair assessment?

I don't think it's so much odd decisions, more like not completely finished.

There's definitely some tweaking to be done, hopefully T10 will do that. The core of the game - the handling - is superb, so it's a very strong foundation to build upon.

G Rom

I agree with everything JackAubrey. Hopefully title updates come to fix those little things.

Apart from that, it cannot be understated how good the gameplay is. As some of you might have seen in the photo mode thread, I've bought the X-Bow. It's so tricky to drive yet so much fun. I love watching the pushrod suspensions in cockpit view too.
So far, each car I've bought truly felt different form one another, which remind me that I need to retune my DS3R, I put too much power and the thing is understeering like crazy.

BTW, did any of you receive their rewards yet ?
In my Forza rewards page, I have the 160 000 Cr. expiring in 4 days but I can't redeem them. I didn't get my cars as well yet.

dejay

Banned
Tips for noobs:

Going fast on a circuit is about maximising speed around corners and maintaining momentum as much as possible. Powerslides are fun, as are handbrake turns, but they won't help you get your lap times down. Cornering fast is about stability and smoothness. The smoother you can turn, the less speed you'll lose and the faster you'll come out of the corner.

Every corner has a path around it which will give you the best speed. Actually, there are numerous lines you can take, but they're all pretty close to each other. This is called the racing line; the Forza racing line assist follows these lines reasonably well but the real joy of driving games is working these out on your own and learning when you can break the rules.

The principle is that you want to wait to slow down until the last second, then brake until you're at the right place and speed at which to initiate the corner, release the brake (or 95% of the brake), go around the corner in a smooth fashion whilst cutting the apex and power out of the corner as you start to straighten the wheel.

The basic parts of a simple corner are:
1 - Brake point
2 - Turn in point
3 - Apex
4 - Throttle out

Check out this article: http://www.drivingfast.net/techniques/racing-line.htm

One last important tip - you MUST pick manual. Don't worry about manual with clutch, just manual is fine. You get the correct speed for each corner by remembering which gear you should be for each corner, not by looking at the speedo. For instance, corner one in Mt Panorama could be taken in a high 2nd gear or a mid 3rd gear, depending on the car. The the next corner may be a high 3rd gear or a mid 4th gear. You simply can't get that with auto. For student race car drivers, they often cover up the speedo. In terms of racing, speedos are useless. You'll often hear race commentators talking about 2nd gear corners, 3rd gear corners, etc.

To reiterate - every corner has an optimal racing line around it. For this line, there is an optimal speed. To pick the right speed, remember which gear you're meant to be in for each corner. Also remember the brake point you use for every corner and every turn in point. As you hit the brake point, brake hard as you can without locking up the wheels and downshift until you get to the correct gear/speed. If you picked the correct brake point, you should be in the right spot and at the right speed to turn into the corner to cut the apex. If you are not, adjust the brake point on the next lap.

This is my biggest problem I think. I'm not learning the tracks and now whenever there are cars all up in ny face I end up rear ending them pretty hard because I have no idea what's coming lol.

I'll probably turn it off from now on. I'm keeping TCS on though... I remember turning TCS off in previous revisions making me very angry lol

Hint - find the next track you're going to race on. Quit to the main menu and set up a single player race with no AI on that track, make it 10 laps. Just keep lapping around with the racing line off on your own. Every lap try and improve your time.

Now when you're doing your laps on your own, try and perfect the four parts of every corner. If you get the technique down, your lap times will improve. It's also fun as hell in a nice car to just lap, trying to beat your best time. You'll get credits for it too and XP.

Once you get good at lapping, you can go back to career mode and then apply your skill at lapping with the added fun of crazy drivatars.

[*]A clearer indication of the requirements for each career event, the class allowed, whether tuning or stock. Some events allow tuning, some events require the player to remain within class, others use stock models only - this would be fine if the career mode made these things clear.
  2. An option for career events to use stock car models. For example the first track toy series requires heavy tuning for success, which seems a shame given how good those cars are. Freeplay at least does seem to use non-tuned versions if the player selects a stock model.
  3. Some of the more detailed multiplayer options should be implemented in freeplay. So for example the ability to force a freeplay race to use a particular car model rather than just force the broader car class. If you want to race against just classic F1 cars one has to set up an AI private race in multiplayer, in freeplay you can just set car class so some AI cars use modern GT/LMP cars against you.
  4. A slight tweak in the finances. While I agree with the idea of removing prize cars I think a change needs to be made to levelling up otherwise the XP system is pointless. I've achieved level 28 and the reward for each level is still 31,500 credits each time. It's a decent amount as levels come up very quickly.I think that either this credit reward should increase very slightly each time or race prize money should be related to player level. So at level 28 races earn more than level 10. Doesn't have to be much, just a tweak to make there seem a point to being a higher level.
  5. I'd welcome the ability to tune cars or at least load tuning setups from the career pre-race menu. This option was present in previous Forza Motorsport games. One can change setup before each race but it requires quitting out to the main menu then reloading the race.
  6. Disallowing drag tires in regular races. Allowing such tires in races seems a bit of a cheat. Until drag races are included in DLC we should be blocked from using the tires in a circuit race. The drag tires makes it easy to create overpowered tunings that bypass class restrictions (not that I haven't done it myself!).

Yeah, I agree with everything, but the bolded point is something really strange. I've bought cars and modded them, only to find out that my car no longer qualifies; at this point I find out the requirements. It's annoying and simple to fix.

Mascot

I don't think it's so much odd decisions, more like not completely finished.

There's definitely some tweaking to be done, hopefully T10 will do that. The core of the game - the handling - is superb, so it's a very strong foundation to build upon.

I'm not disputing the handling - by most accounts it's excellent. I'm talking about things like changing the storefront and auction house, losing manufacturer affinity, removing custom public lobbies, limiting car choice in free play, having desirable cars unattainable for average gamers without paying, day-one DLC... i could go on and on. Hell, even as mentioned above, having to load the next race before being able to quit a series is just bad, bad design.

These are all curiousities that are probably glaringly obvious to anyone with even limited exposure to previous games in the series, yet the developers themselves have consciously built them into FM5.

I really do question sometimes whether the people who make the big decisions actually play their own games in any kind of detail. I dunno, perhaps it's a case of not seeing the wood for the trees.

Edit: WTF? DC has been banned?! What the hell for?

saladine1

I agree with everything JackAubrey. Hopefully title updates come to fix those little things.

Apart from that, it cannot be understated how good the gameplay is. As some of you might have seen in the photo mode thread, I've bought the X-Bow. It's so tricky to drive yet so much fun. I love watching the pushrod suspensions in cockpit view too.
So far, each car I've bought truly felt different form one another, which remind me that I need to retune my DS3R, I put too much power and the thing is understeering like crazy.

BTW, did any of you receive their rewards yet ?
In my Forza rewards page, I have the 160 000 Cr. expiring in 4 days but I can't redeem them. I didn't get my cars as well yet.

Yes, truly.

I can only imagine however, if features such as weather, night, diverse race modes and new upgrades/tuning capabilities made it in.
Man o man what could've been....

Forgetting the problems and issues for a moment though, Turn 10 have built an amazing platform to build upon..

losing manufacturer affinity

Agree with your post. However manufacturer affinity is still in there. It gives you a credit boost but no longer gives you free parts (which I think is a good move). The credit boost could be a bit more generous though.

BTW although there are no visual weather effects temperature does play a role in this version of Forza. For example, traction in the cold of the Bernese Alps is lower and benefits from lowering the tire pressure.

saladine1

I just came here to post this.

These guys are hard core sim racers and they were quite happy with the physics and the wheel. They really liked the wheel actually it seems.

Yeah, i'm dying to play with a wheel. They're available in store down the road from me.
But fucking $650 for no clutch and shifter?!?
Fuuucckk!

Yeah, i'm dying to play with a wheel. They're available in store down the road from me.
But fucking $650 for no clutch and shifter?!?
Fuuucckk!

That's excessively expensive! I'm sure the 299 I've seen them for in the uk should convert to much less than 650.

Thankfully for me I have a g27 and an old official 360 wireless wheel to sell, plus my two free Forza day one editions to basically make up the price.

I still feel like I should await for some full reviews but with the guys at insidesimracing loving it straight away, I feel like pulling the trigger....

So, maybe a month before I get an XBox, apparently. May have to keep watching the official MS store for stock and see if I can beat my (late) preorder.

WTF? DC has been banned?! What the hell for?

Hopefully a self-ban; very little of interest in his posting history unless the bothersome posts deserved a purging.

Still haven't received my rewards cars her,e either Q_Q

Also, had to drop back to 'normal' handling. Simulation is too much, especially in the Atom. Dropping back to normal has allowed me to stick the AI on second-highest and still get withing gold/
There's also some sound glitches where vehicle audio completely disappears when racing.

So what was your ass-storm news you had tot ell us about? I asked a few pages back but it seems to have gotten lost.

saladine1

turbos seem to kill the engine sound.

are you happy with bathurst?

Kill the engine sound?
How?
I love the new turbo sounds!

And Bathurst is fucking wonderful!
I'm so happy to be finally racing at The Mountain and at Spa, It was more than overdue.
...although, an Aussie classic would do wonders at Mount Panorama..

@Terbinator, nothing to say mate.

faberpach

They really need to change the time of the day on some tracks... I am sick of doing the bridge in Prague and being sunblinded after 7 times it stops being impresive or fun and is just annoying.

I really hope one of the mysterious expansions offers alternative times for tracks.

Spa is amazing but then again there is that corners that you take blinded by the sun that I find really really annoying.

saladine1

I'm loving the physics transitions from surface to surface. So much to take into account when steeping on that accelerator.

I've been playing hours a day since launch and only have 5 cars to show for it.
I love the grind!

However, I don't think the slog will last 'cause I've got a feeling Turn 10 are working on fixing that up.

p3tran, welcome aboard!

Top Bottom