• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5 |OT| Open wheel, tyre squeal, orange peel, dat next-gen feel

kazinova

1. Clubs were removed unfortunately so only way to get NeoGAF avatars is to add people

2. I haven't tested it but in FM4 it was usually before the last corner

3. Day One edition gave you cars that have a special livery and a different case for the game.

I think digital purchasers got day one status as well. I should but I can't figure out how to redeem the day one cars.

Ugh, I hate you all!

I am going to have to play some Forza 4 tonight and just pretend really hard its F5.

I will join you all soon, don't worry lads!

Ugh, I hate you all!

I am going to have to play some Forza 4 tonight and just pretend really hard its F5.

I will join you all soon, don't worry lads!

Sorry :(

Its not even close dude. That first turn when I got the game and turned all assist off, and proceeded to spin out...........it was like wow, this is a whole new ballgame. And the triggers the TRIGGERS!

Eoin

Is anyone else unable to connect to multiplayer? Everytime it finds a lobby and tries to join, it gives an error.

Fixed it. Didn't have Ipsec pass through enabled.

RoKKeR

I'm having a hard time controlling anything that isn't 4WD in this game, even when TCS us on. Much harder than it was in Forza 4 for me.

zorbsie

To everyone asking for gamertags, look here. This list is stupid short, PM either myself or Shortt Sirket to get added to the doc. This will make drivatars better and getting together for a couple quick races a whole lot easier.

Porsches on Maple Valley in a custom lobby? Think I'll join you.

:p
iupaijpNABa00.gif

I got some messages asking how to find the design in game, so here is how you do it...

Go to "paint car" at main menu with McLaren P1, then you choose "Find New Design" and then you press search (two squares button on controller) and then you put my gamertag, which is the same as my GAF name (H3rtZ DoNuT) in the "Creator" option and it will find it for you.

Thank you GAF for the support (as usual)

HD

p3tran

Banned
yeah, about that...
I think the intro AND the first five races are aimed entirely at ...non-racers

playing that, I got worried that i couldnt tune in f5, I got worried that I couldnt even put the clutch on the fuckin A button!!

no worriez though. just get done with the first five races, then the game menus and options open up ;)

BUT its very stupid that the drivatar gets released by counting those five races.. I mean, AUTO-TUNED car, no proper button mappings, i was driving like an uncle at that phase..
I sure hope my drivatar forgets about them first five races, and soon

Tips for noobs:

Going fast on a circuit is about maximising speed around corners and maintaining momentum as much as possible. Powerslides are fun, as are handbrake turns, but they won't help you get your lap times down. Cornering fast is about stability and smoothness. The smoother you can turn, the less speed you'll lose and the faster you'll come out of the corner.

Every corner has a path around it which will give you the best speed. Actually, there are numerous lines you can take, but they're all pretty close to each other. This is called the racing line; the Forza racing line assist follows these lines reasonably well but the real joy of driving games is working these out on your own and learning when you can break the rules.

The principle is that you want to wait to slow down until the last second, then brake until you're at the right place and speed at which to initiate the corner, release the brake (or 95% of the brake), go around the corner in a smooth fashion whilst cutting the apex and power out of the corner as you start to straighten the wheel.

The basic parts of a simple corner are:
1 - Brake point
2 - Turn in point
3 - Apex
4 - Throttle out

Check out this article: http://www.drivingfast.net/techniques/racing-line.htm

One last important tip - you MUST pick manual. Don't worry about manual with clutch, just manual is fine. You get the correct speed for each corner by remembering which gear you should be for each corner, not by looking at the speedo. For instance, corner one in Mt Panorama could be taken in a high 2nd gear or a mid 3rd gear, depending on the car. The the next corner may be a high 3rd gear or a mid 4th gear. You simply can't get that with auto. For student race car drivers, they often cover up the speedo. In terms of racing, speedos are useless. You'll often hear race commentators talking about 2nd gear corners, 3rd gear corners, etc.

To reiterate - every corner has an optimal racing line around it. For this line, there is an optimal speed. To pick the right speed, remember which gear you're meant to be in for each corner. Also remember the brake point you use for every corner and every turn in point. As you hit the brake point, brake hard as you can without locking up the wheels and downshift until you get to the correct gear/speed. If you picked the correct brake point, you should be in the right spot and at the right speed to turn into the corner to cut the apex. If you are not, adjust the brake point on the next lap.

Hint - find the next track you're going to race on. Quit to the main menu and set up a single player race with no AI on that track, make it 10 laps. Just keep lapping around with the racing line off on your own. Every lap try and improve your time.

Now when you're doing your laps on your own, try and perfect the four parts of every corner. If you get the technique down, your lap times will improve. It's also fun as hell in a nice car to just lap, trying to beat your best time. You'll get credits for it too and XP.

Once you get good at lapping, you can go back to career mode and then apply your skill at lapping with the added fun of crazy drivatars.

Yeah, I agree with everything, but the bolded point is something really strange. I've bought cars and modded them, only to find out that my car no longer qualifies; at this point I find out the requirements. It's annoying and simple to fix.

This is a fantastic post - thanks!

Nista

Probably a silly question, but if I get to a higher Tier in the Forza Rewards website now, will I unlock more free gift cars in 5? Or has that ship sailed, and you can only get to the higher tiers pre-launch?

If so, I guess I'll have to start saving up credits for a P1.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Do I get to upgrade my car ever? It just keeps going from oner ace to the next and I'm never seeing a tuning option...

You have to finish the series. When you start a new league they put you through 5-10 races, and once you're done with those you back out to the menus where you can upgrade/paint/tune.

Sushen

Finally tried it at friends place. Noticed a very long loading time before the race and cardboard crowd. Frankly not impressed.

NeoGash

Hey guys I only officially joined today, but I have been reading this thread since the beginning, and the one previous to it. I am used to reading posts from Mascot, Saladine, P3tran, Xanudu, Drugstore Cowboy, FordGTGuy etc. These threads have been awesome. (the names are off memory, so sorry for spelling mistakes)

I think I have been scared off this game though. Man all this micro-transaction and day one DLC hurts bad. Would you say the grind is similar to or longer than what it was in Forza 4? I thought the grind in Forza 4 was quite long, especially for a Ferrari fanatic like me. Anyways, look forward to hopefully playing with you guys sometime, I love Forza 4 but can't quite afford an Xbox One.

Another question, how is the smoke detail? I know Forza 4 improved on 3, but it was still very tame. My guess would be that it is quite computationally taxing, so couldn't they have a custom playlist where you and your friends can do burnouts with more complex smoke? They could tone down the track detail and limit the player count? Or is that stupid of me to think that?

Not much a racing fan, only played Forza 3 once, I prefer stuff like PGR and Ridge Racer as I can slide around but got this as it was free and I was getting Fifa 14 anyway.

Really enjoying it, I think Drivatars seem pretty cool, racing against people I'm following/friends with is nice and they seem to drive a lot more like I do (unless i've just missed better AI in more recent games).

Not really feeling the need to use the micro transaction/DLC stuff but that might be because I'm not really into cars etc, i'll just buy whatever there is.

what happened to the 787b sound? sounds terrible on downshifts :S

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzFcd_As0vY

The 787B has a manual transmission, not a sequential transmission. However, you're shifting in sequential order in-game.

In the game, to downshift from 6th gear to 3rd gear, you have to go through 5th and 4th gear. In real life, to downshift from 6th gear to 3rd gear, you can shift directly while holding down the clutch.

sytadel

I want to play more, but my hands ache, and thumbs sting after around 10 races. It may be the grip on the thumbsticks. Hoping i'll harden up and get used to it soon enough.

So can someone explain what I was supposed to get with the limited edition? The three car packs just unlock them to buy, you don't get a single one off the bat? Did finally have my tokens come in though. I'm just confused as to whether it's working because when I hit the menu button on Forza's tab to see what addons I have it says "You don't have any add-ons installed" which is incorrect as I know it registered the limited edition card as I got a VIP message.

Did receive a gift Ford Fiesta it seems.

Krilekk

Banned
So can someone explain what I was supposed to get with the limited edition? The three car packs just unlock them to buy, you don't get a single one off the bat? Did finally have my tokens come in though. I'm just confused as to whether it's working because when I hit the menu button on Forza's tab to see what addons I have it says "You don't have any add-ons installed" which is incorrect as I know it registered the limited edition card as I got a VIP message.

Did receive a gift Ford Fiesta it seems.

You got the Fiesta from Forza Rewards (could've gotten an Audi RS8, Ferrari Berlinetta and a P1 as well with higher tiers). LE unlocks the Day One cars, the LE cars (all just skins for existing cars), the VIP cars. It doubles the amount of credits you get for driver level progression. It gives you 1250 tokens worth $15 and a crown next to your gamertag. And it opens up the Rivals VIP challenges.

p3tran

Banned
so my D class gti is feeling lonely..

ibkLPNPbc5FQYZ.jpg

how 'bout some buthur(s)t?

Rivals -> Class D Time Attack -> Bathurst Main

lets see who is from down under, and who is down and under :ppp

You got the Fiesta from Forza Rewards (could've gotten an Audi RS8, Ferrari Berlinetta and a P1 as well with higher tiers). LE unlocks the Day One cars, the LE cars (all just skins for existing cars), the VIP cars. It doubles the amount of credits you get for driver level progression. It gives you 1250 tokens worth $15 and a crown next to your gamertag. And it opens up the Rivals VIP challenges.

Is there a dlc section in the store where I can find just the cars unlocked? Seems absurd you don't actually get any of that. And are the Forza rewards for playing other games in the series? Believe I only have Forza 3/Horizon registered on the account I'm using. Can I pop in 2/4 and get the nicer cars?

And man, driving the Corvette C1 in cockpit view is hard. Tinted windows that reflect the bright red interior.

Anion

Is there a dlc section in the store where I can find just the cars unlocked? Seems absurd you don't actually get any of that. And are the Forza rewards for playing other games in the series? Believe I only have Forza 3/Horizon registered on the account I'm using. Can I pop in 2/4 and get the nicer cars?

And man, driving the Corvette C1 in cockpit view is hard. Tinted windows that reflect the bright red interior.

I believe if you go home, highlight the game, then press the start/3-lined button, then scroll down to add-ons or something like that, youll see what you have downloaded for the game.

Also, Microsoft fix you website so I can check stuff like this on my computer!

I believe if you go home, highlight the game, then press the start/3-lined button, then scroll down to add-ons or something like that, youll see what you have downloaded for the game.

Also, Microsoft fix you website so I can check stuff like this on my computer!

That's the weird thing about it, it says I don't have any add-ons installed but the game registered my VIP status and if I go to the add-ons in the store it shows that I have VIP installed. Dead Rising 3 on the other hand says that I have the day one dlc installed.

Jezzz, the soundtrack is gorgeous. This and Sessler's review sold me the game, I'm buying it this friday or saturday if my console arrives.

Klocker

Am i missing something or can we no longer sell our parts individually or sell cars???

Edit

Wtf.... I just hit remove car thinking maybe it would sell it...not it drops it and makes me rebuy it if I want it and gives me no credit...and nowhere can I sell my parts

Who the hell thought this was a food idea...???

Also spent $50000 on parts for Ferrari thinking I could sell them off for half but no....I'm at a loss for words...

RoKKeR

Though I do disagree with what Turn 10 has done to the in-game economy, I will agree that it feels damn good to spend hard earned cash on a car you really want.

That pearly white Aventador has never looked better, especially when you've worked hard to get it.

Edit: And per the above, no selling cars is fucking bullshit, bullshit, bullshit.

golem

Am i missing something or can we no longer sell our parts individually or sell cars???

Edit

Wtf.... I just hit remove car thinking maybe it would sell it...not it drops it and makes me rebuy it if I want it and gives me no credit...and nowhere can I sell my parts

Also spent $50000 on parts for Ferrari thinking I could sell them off for half but no....I'm at a loss for words...

Wow thats terrible. No wonder the wording on it is different now. They really fucked over the in-game economy to promote buying tokens, its honestly frankly disgusting.

Edit

Potential game changer here. I have been vocal in defending some decisions but if this is true it's completely unacceptable. Are you sure it's not hidden somewhere, like a lot of things with this game they do a horrible job explaining where things are and how they work.

RoKKeR

Oh and while it's on my mind.

Why must I endure the fucking behemoth load times of the next race in a career series just to quit out once it all loads?

This drives me absolutely bonkers. Finish a race, want to tweak my car... nope! Gotta load up the entire next race just to quit, do what you do, and then RELOAD IT ALL AGAIN.

There are a lot of UI/usability things in this game that just are just completely back-asswards.

saladine1

Edit

Yeah, no selling cars or parts.

Look, I requested that for FM5, the cars should be a little harder to obtain. Make people work for their shit. But man have they gone all crazy and shit.
I remember Dan saying that he didn't want to punish people for not having time to invest in driving for hours to get particular cars so he made FM4 very easy in that respect.
It seem that they went to the other extreme now and made shit really hard and difficult for people.

Anyway, perhaps at least one reward car per 3 races or something. Patch in the ability to sell cars and parts. Patch in higher earnings in races.
Problem should be solved I think..

Shaneus

Potential game changer here. I have been vocal in defending some decisions but if this is true it's completely unacceptable. Are you sure it's not hidden somewhere, like a lot of things with this game they do a horrible job explaining where things are and how they work.
Safe to assume that the same thing would happen regardless of if you spent in-game currency or tokens? I hope they make it a little more difficult before someone drops over $50 in tokens for a car and accidentally "removes" it. Yikes.

Look, I requested that for FM5, the cars should be a little harder to obtain. Make people work for their shit. But man have they gone all crazy and shit.
See, if you only demanded Australian cars... that would've been the thing he went nuts on. You asked for too much!

Klocker

Yea not selling stuff is ridiculous.

I agree on working for your stuff I plan to have this game for a long time and want to earn what I have but not selling parts or cars? Crazy talk!!

That said, never in my life did I ever think I would enjoy racing a ford fiesta around Seguna seca as much as I just did...felt phenomenal

Damn you Forza giveth and taketh away

Mascot

I really hope these types of things do get fixed. Like I said earlier, I often wonder whether the people making the big decisions actually play the game.

Seanspeed

Banned
I really hope these types of things do get fixed. Like I said earlier, I often wonder whether the people making the big decisions actually play the game.
There is nothing to fix. It was intentionally taken away in order to reduce the amount of money people have available in order to encourage people to just pony up real money for cars and upgrades. Much of the features cut were done with this in mind. Its quite disgusting.

saladine1

Yeah, that's the thing. I'm driving a Mercedes 190E EVO II around Prague. I love that track and car. It's such a joy. Every car has its own nuances and habits that make each car unique to drive. Because that track has buildings and overpasses, the downshifts and exhaust notes echo like crazy giving a feeling like you are actually in a tarmac stage or something. It's quite something else.

But, what a fucking shame that there's so much bullshit surrounding other aspects of the game. If things were thought out a little more better, I'm sure people would be happily playing the game instead of complaining about things.

As it stands, can Turn 10 turn things around?
I don't know. All I know is, that if something is indeed being done about it, it has to be sooner rather than later. Heads can't be buried in the sand for too long. Eventually, the situation needs to be faced and tackled and most importantly, a defensive stance will not fucking help the situation at all...

JackHerer

So I've been looking at wheels because I had one for my last Forza game (Forza 3) and remember how much better it made the experience.

It seems like there is only the one Thrustmaster wheel and it is not out yet. Am I correct here? Seems like a big mistake not to release a wheel alongside this game. I might just stop playing until I can get a wheel.

So Spa is described in the game as the "Modern Circuit". Hmmmm

There's going to be pre-war F1 cars later judging by the in-game classes. So.... no we couldn't be getting.... this is Forza I don't want to get my hopes up.

adelante

This whole monetisation issue seems very reminiscent of the Blizzard's RMAH debacle. Designing your game around the use of real money and as a result, features that've become norm for the series gets dropped/downgraded. I loved that the ability to buy or sell cars/parts/tuning setups/livery designs forged a community within the game. If I've been keeping up with the discussions here, that aspect of the game is now severely limited??

This whole monetisation issue seems very reminiscent of the Blizzard's RMAH debacle. Designing your game around the use of real money and as a result, features that've become norm for the series gets dropped/downgraded. I loved that the ability to buy or sell cars/parts/tuning setups/livery designs forged a community within the game. If I've been keeping up with the discussions here, that aspect of the game is now severely limited??

It's a similar issue but the way Microsoft has gone about it across all their first party launch games just comes across as very sleazy.

Top Bottom