• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5 |OT| Open wheel, tyre squeal, orange peel, dat next-gen feel

Had some more time with the wheel today and whilst I improved and ejoyed it I'm still hoplessly uncompetitive and anything about a B class is a nightmare :p

Also, has anyone else noticed the Porsche signs on Le Mans full circuit?

saladine1

Did anyone notice how the in car clocks are synchronized to real world time?
I've never noticed this in FM4 for some reason..

Also, is it me, or does damage to the windshield happen more often post patch?
It's really annoying to be honest, seeing how a bump from the rear or side shouldn't crack the fucking windscreen.... but it does...

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

jcutner

Did anyone notice how the in car clocks are synchronized to real world time?
I've never noticed this in FM4 for some reason..

Also, is it me, or does damage to the windshield happen more often post patch?
It's really annoying to be honest, seeing how a bump from the rear or side shouldn't crack the fucking windscreen.... but it does...

yup, me too. i started a new series and jumped in my civic type r, and every little bump, there goes the windshield. and i'm thinking to myself, this fucking civic.

i switch cars, same thing. so what the fuck?

The Flash

Banned
Would a gamer who's not big into racing games such as myself be into this game? I keep hearing about how good it is and I'd like to join in on the fun provided that it's the $60 digital price.

op_ivy

Would a gamer who's not big into racing games such as myself be into this game? I keep hearing about how good it is and I'd like to join in on the fun provided that it's the $60 digital price.

have you played any forza before? GT?

HoTHiTTeR

Get it physical at target Sunday of next week for $40. Flip it if you're not into it.

op_ivy

The last racing game I played in any serious fashion was Podracer on N64 :p

tough call then. forza is a series that is pretty accessible though what with all the optional assists. not sure it would be all that fun though utterly dumbed down. there are some "arcade" style multiplayer offerings though, things like tag, that you may find fun. i'd say go for it though - but i'm a bit biased ;)

Seanspeed

Banned
Well considering the only thing we know about you is that you're not big into racing games, its a bit hard to recommend it.

The Flash

Banned
Get it physical at target Sunday of next week for $40. Flip it if you're not into it.

I got a $25 digital code for Christmas so I'll just use that

tough call then. forza is a series that is pretty accessible though what with all the optional assists. not sure it would be all that fun though utterly dumbed down. there are some "arcade" style multiplayer offerings though, things like tag, that you may find fun. i'd say go for it though - but i'm a bit biased ;)

Tag sounds interesting. I'll give that a shot.

Well considering the only thing we know about you is that you're not big into racing games, its a bit hard to recommend it.

I'm just trying to broaden my game horizons. New console generation and all that.

Giggzy

What settings should I be playing on? I've changed some minor things that gives me a 5-10% bonus payout, but I'm still winning my races pretty easily. I'm new to simulation drivers but I hate handicaps. Even if it takes some time I'm willing to suck for awhile to get better.

Enlighten me Forza gods

op_ivy

if you are into cars at all you should be able to find something enjoyable about it.

What settings should I be playing on? I've changed some minor things that gives me a 5-10% bonus payout, but I'm still winning my races pretty easily. I'm new to simulation drivers but I hate handicaps. Even if it takes some time I'm willing to suck for awhile to get better.

Enlighten me Forza gods

the very first thing to do is turn off any and all racing lines. i'd also turn off stability and traction control - unless you find a car that makes it undrivable for you. learn to use manual tranny at some point. lastly, change the difficulty to where you are placing consistently in 3rd. the game no longer requires you to get first place for gold, just a podium position. racing in harder difficulties will help you improve, makes for a more fun and challenging experience, and nets you more cash/xp

jem0208

Enlighten me Forza gods

Upping the difficulty is probably the best idea until you get more used to driving. Definitely remove assisted braking and steering. Taking off Traction control etc. would probably be quite frustrating because sliding out is very, very easy.

XJF

Picked up Forza today and have been thoroughly enjoying it. I've been playing GT6 for the past few weeks, and this is a nice change. Game runs gorgeously. It's my first time playing a Forza game, but I'll probably continue buying releases from this franchise. This has me even more excited for DriveClub and the Crew!

Add Me: inXweTRUST

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
No, not that i've noticed.

The first thing I usually do when testing and tuning is play around with ride height. I tend to look for as much mechanical grip as I can through this method(including rake) before venturing into sway-bars and springs/dampers.

This is the only car I've found(so far) that wanders on the track after lowering the car.

So I'm starting to mess with tuning, mainly because I picked the MR2 for one of the early tournies (I just started playing) and the damned thing's rear end won't stop getting out from under me. What would you tune to keep that from happening? Or is it just the way the car is and I have to nurse it?

enewtabie

Played and own all the Forza games and this one looks great. I think the leveling system could use some change somehow and I want my daily driver in the game. Come on Turn 10, 2002 Subaru WRX.. add it please.

Marco1

I am sure I have the latest update but the second and third special paints are still called chrome and gold even though the two before the wood colours are chrome and gold.
Anyone else have this issue and know how to correct it apart from a full re-install?
Thanks.

weevles

Game is $40 on amazon right now..I picked up a copy even though I don't have an XBO yet. After I get my Xmas GCs I guess I might bite on an XBO...

Still not played F5 (gonna do something about that tomorrow) but I watched my kid do a few races earlier, haven't touched Forza for a couple of months I was surprised how good it looked at 60fps and totally wrong about the player's car self shadowing, looked awesome. I think it's just more subtle on some of the metallic paints.

YouTube videos really didn't do the visuals justice at all.

Hotlapping Spa in an R18 e-tron, (with a tune that dials out the mid-corner push), is perhaps the best drive I've ever had in Forza.

Looking through my stats, I've done something like 3 or 4 times as many miles on Spa as my next most driven track, with the majority of those in the big diesel Audi, and I keep coming back for more. Have to say, though, that the car loses some of its appeal without the sci-fi soundtrack of the flywheel KERS under braking.

op_ivy

gotta say there are a lot of assholes in multiplayer. not only shitty drivers, but literal assholes - guys whose sole purpose is to fuck everyone up. that said, feels pretty great to get utterly annihilated in turn one only to come back and not only win first but by a large margin. fucking scrubs.

Xanadu

Banned
gotta say there are a lot of assholes in multiplayer. not only shitty drivers, but literal assholes - guys whose sole purpose is to fuck everyone up. that said, feels pretty great to get utterly annihilated in turn one only to come back and not only win first but by a large margin. fucking scrubs.

thats the same for pretty much every forza

Bradf50

Yeah got the game for Christmas. Been online and it's shit to be quite frank... People just ruining the experience for me. It needs a penalty system or something, especially on Yas Marina people just fly over the run offs with no penalty, it's so damn frustrating.

saladine1

So I'm starting to mess with tuning, mainly because I picked the MR2 for one of the early tournies (I just started playing) and the damned thing's rear end won't stop getting out from under me. What would you tune to keep that from happening? Or is it just the way the car is and I have to nurse it?

The MR2 has a mid engine rear wheel drive layout which tends to exhibit snap oversteer especially if driven hard and is mainly felt when gearing down/lifting off accelerator into a turn.
One invaluable upgrade that would help to counter this phenomenon would be a 2 way diff.
When you apply the 'racing' differential upgrade, the deceleration parameter is opened up and is set for 75 at default. Try that and see what happens.
If it still wants to let go under lift off, adjust the deceleration setting to a higher value.

saladine1

Sorry Skyline fans but the Nissan GTR just isn't a competitive car mainly for two reasons:
Weight and braking capacity.

Now, I haven't driven a GTR in real life but damn does the virtual version suck at braking.
Even with weight reduction and race brakes, the thing still feels heavy and just doesn't want to stop. By the time I've applied the brakes and gotten ready for the turn, 5 cars have already passed me by.

Is this trait true to life or is it just FM5..or is it just me?

Raudi

Hotlapping Spa in an R18 e-tron, (with a tune that dials out the mid-corner push), is perhaps the best drive I've ever had in Forza.

Is this your tune or one you found?

I need a good tune for my R18, so please let me how to find it.

Online lobbies are getting worse, I used to be able to avoid the crashers for an extra challenge but there are way too many now.

Yeah got the game for Christmas. Been online and it's shit to be quite frank... People just ruining the experience for me. It needs a penalty system or something, especially on Yas Marina people just fly over the run offs with no penalty, it's so damn frustrating.

This is the major thing missing tbh. In parts, FM4 could be absolutely brutal in sand bagging you if you wen't off canter too much yet in FM5, you can maintain a far higher speed on some circuits by completely going off the track.

The online lobbies haven't been too bad IMO. Just avoid being first at the first corner, watch everyone wreck each other and then drive off into the sunset.

Is this your tune or one you found?

I need a good tune for my R18, so please let me how to find it.

It's not mine, so search for GT: SatNiteEduardo; the specific tune is "Atlanta 1.09.6."

As the name implies, it's tuned at Road Atlanta, but works very well on longer tracks too, including Spa, Sebring, and Silverstone. The setup is pretty neutral, with great stability mid-corner, and again, markedly reduced AWD understeer compared to the stock configuration. Great tune.

Xanadu

Banned
Sorry Skyline fans but the Nissan GTR just isn't a competitive car mainly for two reasons:
Weight and braking capacity.

Now, I haven't driven a GTR in real life but damn does the virtual version suck at braking.
Even with weight reduction and race brakes, the thing still feels heavy and just doesn't want to stop. By the time I've applied the brakes and gotten ready for the turn, 5 cars have already passed me by.

Is this trait true to life or is it just FM5..or is it just me?
agreed, i much prefer the old skylines, especially the r32 which is the lightest and best sounding, at least in forza 4

My wheel is showing as a control pad in the settings and everything is fiddly and fucked up.

Ok it's working again now.

Force feedback is ok, again no match for the strength found elsewhere.

Seems to be no centre spring force, feels like the Fanatec wheels when the spring is zero'd. A bit loose.

BondFancy

Calibrate your TV, turn off pointless processing and definitely get rid of most of the sharpening. There's no reason for FM5 to look poor on your TV.

Oh my god just reducing the sharpening from 60 to 20 made a large improvement, and could you clarify what pointless processing means? Thank you so much already though looks 50% better washed out most of the jaggies!

Edit- Oh my god changed some even more settings and it's gorgeous!! Finally looks next gen thank you so very much once again!

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Oh my god just reducing the sharpening from 60 to 20 made a large improvement, and could you clarify what pointless processing means? Thank you so much already though looks 50% better washed out most of the jaggies!

Edit- Oh my god changed some even more settings and it's gorgeous!! Finally looks next gen thank you so very much once again!

The default settings on the TVs are meant to draw your eye in the store, most of the time they do horrible things to the picture quality. I recently bought a 39" TV to use a monitor and out of the box it looked absolutely horrid, I could barely read any of the text and there was ghosting and blocking everywhere, I almost took it back. Played with the settings and it ended up looked really good. Sharpening is the biggest offender of making the picture look like shit. It just brings out all the defects.

God everything must have looked like crap on your TV with sharpness that high. Many TVs actually look best with it completely off - so it's worth trying that too.

By pointless processing I mean things like edge enhancement, noise reduction, any filters.

op_ivy

spent a while doing some rivals, particularly the monthly B600 rally production on mt panorama. set some good laps, then some better ones, and felt pretty good about myself till i looked at the top times... set by S and R class cars. wut? cheaters!

BondFancy

God everything must have looked like crap on your TV with sharpness that high. Many TVs actually look best with it completely off - so it's worth trying that too.

By pointless processing I mean things like edge enhancement, noise reduction, any filters.

Awesome did all that too! Made a huge difference! When I get back to my abode I'll reduce the sharpness further, the image looks so natural and not like an auto enhanced photoshopped mess.

Klocker

Ha just noticed you can paint any car in the game even if you don't own it and save to designs and online

may have been possible on F4 and I just never noticed?

Top Bottom