• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5 |OT| Open wheel, tyre squeal, orange peel, dat next-gen feel

Just thought I'd pop in a few laps as I'm getting back up to speed with the TX Wheel.

aYicz6b.jpg

00:53.769

I'm loving the wheel, now that T10 have finally fixed the wheel/controller issues, I can have my controller alongside and seemlessly switch between the two, using the controller for chat/party stuff as well..

Ooh very nice.

Have you had any problems with rumble effects cutting out and the force strength dropping recently? My TX has started doing it now. I'm sure it isn't due to temps as I've ran it far stronger and for longer on PC.

Snubbers

Ooh very nice.

Have you had any problems with rumble effects cutting out and the force strength dropping recently? My TX has started doing it now. I'm sure it isn't due to temps as I've ran it far stronger and for longer on PC.

I am using a USB extender cable and found the wheel resets very infrequently, which I have put down to that, since it's never happened when directly connected to the Xbox, but is not long enough for my racing rig.

Other then that, I've not noticed the FFB changing, although I only run about 60-80% FFB in the in-game settings as it interferes too much when hotlapping, so I've compromised on slightly less FFB for the sake of a bit of laptime.

The main issue I have with the wheel is that there is no on/off switch, and unless recent updates have changed things, every few hours, it used to power itself on.. I never did suss out if it was the wheel randomly powering on, or the xbox waking it up.. I just unplug it after each session.

That, and the not remembering the rotation setting (always defaults to 900 degrees), I run it at 540 or 360 depending on the car, and am annoyed that FM5 can't seem to set the rotation properly, I have to do it manually each time.

Finally, I am using the clubsport pedals with the TX, so I kind of expect a few hiccups, although so far it's been pretty flawless with the reduced FFB settings.

The main issue I have with the wheel is that there is no on/off switch, and unless recent updates have changed things, every few hours, it used to power itself on.. I never did suss out if it was the wheel randomly powering on, or the xbox waking it up.. I just unplug it after each session.
Yeah I hate the no on off switch, unplugging it when not in use is a hassle. Wireless would have been great.
Finally, I am using the clubsport pedals with the TX, so I kind of expect a few hiccups, although so far it's been pretty flawless with the reduced FFB settings.

Using that custom thing you built?

Just bought Forza. Was wondering, how do I improve my Drivetar? Does it just do it automatically? Can't go online to race just yet as my cars are very poor!

I am using a USB extender cable and found the wheel resets very infrequently, which I have put down to that, since it's never happened when directly connected to the Xbox, but is not long enough for my racing rig.

Other then that, I've not noticed the FFB changing, although I only run about 60-80% FFB in the in-game settings as it interferes too much when hotlapping, so I've compromised on slightly less FFB for the sake of a bit of laptime.

That, and the not remembering the rotation setting (always defaults to 900 degrees), I run it at 540 or 360 depending on the car, and am annoyed that FM5 can't seem to set the rotation properly, I have to do it manually each time.

Maybe I'll drop the ffb down a bit then, even when its 100% I'd like more but not if it is causing the problem.

Good to see wheels appear to be more competitive than before, would be nice if the next firmware copies what Fanatec did with mapping the clutch to the paddles for faster shifts, the least they could do having taken so long to release the TH8A.

Snubbers

Using that custom thing you built?

Yeah, I've kept an eye out for Basherboards getting his converter done, but nothing seems up for order yet.. I actually wouldn't mind a 'neater' solution, although I have bought some RJ11 MMJ Plugs and made mine a little more plug n play, so just had to slap it in a box and it's working out OK..

If anyone is feeling brave, the scale of what needs to be done if you pick the right dev board (and don't mind not having the clutch) is in this doc I did for a second board I made for a club member.

TX - CSP Homebrew

zorbsie

Time trial standings are in. Go to sheet two.

Snubbers: 53.769
P3tran: 54.185
Drugstore_cowboy: 54.295
op_ivy: 54.349
BIGT468: 54.501
Devildoll 54.809
Spades: 54.950
Shortt Sirket: 55.491
Spacemn Spiff: 55.552
Mad_Ban: 55.557
Schuey F1: 55.611
RoKKer: 55.668
frontieruk: 55.958
soundscream: 55.981
Zorbsie: 56.628

Let me know if I missed anyone or put the wrong time down. Maybe for next time people can PM their final time, that way I won't miss it going through past posts. Although I would still post my times here to keep people trying for better times.

zorbsie

You've missed p3ran, zorbsie.

He was 54.185 iirc.

Thanks for this, I saw his post with the video of his run but I didn't see the time.

league_week9d4juf.png

Hope you saved up/Forza rewards to the rescue
This week is going to be expensive as we're doing Indycar races. I know it's a lot, but it's also a new month so cash in your Forza reward credits. That should make it a little better. Here are the eligible car choices:
Class X999
2013 Honda #9 Target Chip Ganassi Dallara DW12
2013 Honda #15 Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing Dallara DW12
2013 Chevrolet #1 Andretti Autosport Dallara DW12
2013 Chevrolet #12 Team Penske Dallara DW12

Tracks: Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps - 4 Laps and Yas Marina Full - 4 Laps

Time Trials
For those that can't make the Sunday races, join in the fun by posting times. The time trials this week will mirror the Sunday races, Same car choices same tracks. Feel free to post your times here, but when you are happy with your final time please PM it to me so I don't miss it. If you are doing time trials and can't afford the car, go into freeplay mode and rent the car.

Spades

league_week9d4juf.png

This week is going to be expensive as we're doing Indycar races. I know it's a lot, but it's also a new month so cash in your Forza reward credits. That should make it a little better. Here are the eligible car choices:
Class X999

Time Trials
For those that can't make the Sunday races, join in the fun by posting times. The time trials this week will mirror the Sunday races, Same car choices same tracks. Feel free to post your times here, but when you are happy with your final time please PM it to me so I don't miss it. If you are doing time trials and can't afford the car, go into freeplay mode and rent the car.

Awesome. Really looking forward to this! Two questions:

1) Will everyone have the party update by then? I really don't want to miss this :(
2) 4 laps seems short for these cars?

zorbsie

Awesome. Really looking forward to this! Two questions:

1) Will everyone have the party update by then? I really don't want to miss this :(
2) 4 laps seems short for these cars?

I don't think everyone will have the party update by then. Isn't it coming out with Titanfall on the 11th? I checked the rivals times for this class and they were roughly 2 minutes laps. I can bump it up to 5 laps each. I want to keep the races between 10 - 15 minutes. Helps when I make the videos too. Recording takes a long time. :)

Devildoll

so it's indy's and X999? granted the "upgrades" to these cars are limited, but allowed?

Edit : hmm, seems as if the different spoilers available for the cars are plainly cosmetic.

I would love to see longer races if we could do it. I think 6-7 laps would be awesome.

Or we could do like one optional Endurance style race after; smething like 15+ laps

zorbsie

I love longer races when we are all in a pack and it's good close racing. Being dead last with no chance of catching even second last because of some random spin out in the second lap would suck, a lot. I do also want to be as inclusive as possible some people simply don't have the time to do multiple long races. I do however want to do a race weekend where it's only one ~15 lap race with full damage on. That would be amazing. Forza has pits, we should use them.
Still no animated pit crew. Welcome to next gen.

Spades

I don't think everyone will have the party update by then. Isn't it coming out with Titanfall on the 11th?

Looks like I'll have to miss this week then again. That SUCKS. :( Can't believe there is no way around it - no way to join a game without being in the party.

I would love to see longer races if we could do it. I think 6-7 laps would be awesome.

Or we could do like one optional Endurance style race after; smething like 15+ laps

I'm certainly in favour of an optional endurance race. I'll even organise a seperate champiosnhip if people are up for it? It would be awesome if we could run with a team-mate as well so we have a constructors table.

Yeah, being able to actually fix aero in the pits makes longer races with damage more feasible. Used to be that if your aero got damaged you were just fucked because there was no way to fix it.

Spades

BTW, don't mean to stand on your toes Zorbsie - you do an awesome job organising this and I know what a pain in the ass it can be having organised things like this in the past!

thundr51

Car List:
1986 Alfa Romeo Spider Quadrifoglio Verde
1969 Ferrari Dino 246 GT
1965 Ford Mustang GT Coupe
1985 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE
2013 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG
1997 Mitsubishi GTO
2011 Radical SR8 RX
1999 Toyota #3 Toyota Motorsports GT-ONE TS020
2012 Ultima GTR720
1981 Volkswagen Scirocco S

Meh....

In for the Ultimate and Radical, reminds me of PGR3.

zorbsie

OK fellas I'm thinking some changes to the races are in order. Lets bump it up to 6 laps each and is anyone against moving the races to next weekend. I want as many racers as we can get for these cars. I know Spades can't join because of the updated party system and if I'm not mistaken P3tran also has the update. If P3tran isn't talking during a race it just isn't a weekend race. So, are these changes cool with everyone? 6 laps and races that will be held March 16. This gives us more time to work on the time trials and save up money to buy a indycar if you don't already have one.

Car pack: Is it really only one new car? Still Ultima and Radical would be crazy fun to drive. GT-ONE was one of my favourites too.

OK fellas I'm thinking some changes to the races are in order. Lets bump it up to 6 laps each and is anyone against moving the races to next weekend. I want as many racers as we can get for these cars. I know Spades can't join because of the updated party system and if I'm not mistaken P3tran also has the update. If P3tran isn't talking during a race it just isn't a weekend race. So, are these changes cool with everyone? 6 laps and races that will be held March 16. This gives us more time to work on the time trials and save up money to buy a indycar if you don't already have one.

Car pack: Is it really only one new car? Still Ultima and Radical would be crazy fun to drive. GT-ONE was one of my favourites too.

Sounds good actually. I am not sure many people will mind. Of course, by then, Titanfall will be out...so our numbers dwindle.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I will definitely be missing next week, out of town. Probably won't be able to watch the F1 opener live either, which is a bummer.

frontieruk

league_week9d4juf.png

Class X999

Time Trials

Christ these cars are quick, I've only just started playing in the C class in SP :-S

Some times to start this week off

Spa :- 2:06.863
Yas Marina :- 2:03.834

zorbsie

Video update: I was following the battle between Devildoll and Mad_Ban I had no idea BigT won the race. lol Back to capturing BigT's run and edit him in the race video. Can't believe that spin out at the very end Mad_Ban, just a heart breaker.

SarBear

Forza Motorsport 5 - Alpinestars Car Pack - Trailer

Car List:
1986 Alfa Romeo Spider Quadrifoglio Verde
1969 Ferrari Dino 246 GT
1965 Ford Mustang GT Coupe
1985 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE
2013 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG
1997 Mitsubishi GTO
2011 Radical SR8 RX
1999 Toyota #3 Toyota Motorsports GT-ONE TS020
2012 Ultima GTR720
1981 Volkswagen Scirocco S

Meh....

It's like they're setting us up to have the REAL cars as soon as the car pass comes out. Turn10, if this comes to pass you guys can kiss my brown ass.

It's like they're setting us up to have the REAL cars as soon as the car pass comes out. Turn10, if this comes to pass you guys can kiss my brown ass.

I am starting to get worried this might be true. The fact there is only ever 1 new car in these packs is pretty concerning.

Marco1

And the special paint Gold/Chrome glitch still remains.
I know this game is full of glitches but FFS this one really annoys me.

Spades

The "clean lap" marker on this game is just plain broken sometimes. So frustrating - especially around a long lap like Spa.

Spades

Yup. Having a lap ruined by hitting the green curbing going through the chicane at the end is crap.

I almost think it's glitched so bad that when you have a "bad lap", it never resets itself. I've tried crawling through the last chicane without making any contact with the curbs and it still doesn't start clean the next lap.

Top Bottom