• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 6 |OT| Forza turns 10

Filben

I'm disappointed. First I thought 'here I finally have one more valid reason for my Xbox One besides Rare Replay'. But I've read on a review that there are still no race weekends with Qualifying sessions. I'm tired of the grinding-mechanics (since Gran Turismo btw) where you have to finish first (or up front) from behind in just a couple of laps. It feels like a scenario, purely mechanic, not like a race.

Still no endurance races, if I'm correct. I don't know why they don't give options to the players. I understand that the target audience don't want to drive hundres of kilometres in one race or is not interested in a full race weekend. But damn, that's motorsport! And it even has that noun in its name. Would be nice to have at least those options for the audience who want that.

As a die-hard motorsports fan I'm really disappointed from what I've heard so far.

Noobcraft

^there are endurance races, they're just split into stints so don't expect any 24 hour races. I think there are one or two 4 hour races. I've tried a couple of 1.5 hour races but finished neither because I ran out of gas on the first one and M. Rossi ruined my second one.

Filben

^there are endurance races, they're just split into stints so don't expect any 24 hour races.
Okay, that sounds nice. Could you elaborate how they work exactly? When you say "split" into stint, do I have to drive into pitlane or is it a menu that pops up?

I'm not owning the game so all my criticism is based on reviews (and the ones I've read seem to let out that detail about endurance)

Noobcraft

Okay, that sounds nice. Could you elaborate how they work exactly? When you say "split" into stint, do I have to drive into pitlane or is it a menu that pops up?

I'm not owning the game so all my criticism is based on reviews (and the ones I've read seem to let out that detail about endurance)
There are 9 endurance races:
Sebring 300
LeMans 250
Nurburgring 125
Catalunya 100
Road Atlanta 100
Spa Francorchamps 100
Daytona 300
Bathurst 100
Indianapolis 250

You can also do custom races in multiplayer up to 4 hours in length.

By stints I mean that none of the races are unrealistically long for one driver to complete. No one driver is going to race for 24 hours straight, and the race begins and ends when your stint is up.

Last night was the first time I'd raced on the Top Gear Test Track in FM6.

When I went off track but still on the pavement the sticky effect was worse than anything in FM5.

Checking this out now in Rivals, I don't notice it. Is that something that's only done for mp races?

MouldyK

I'm disappointed. First I thought 'here I finally have one more valid reason for my Xbox One besides Rare Replay'. But I've read on a review that there are still no race weekends with Qualifying sessions. I'm tired of the grinding-mechanics (since Gran Turismo btw) where you have to finish first (or up front) from behind in just a couple of laps. It feels like a scenario, purely mechanic, not like a race.

Still no endurance races, if I'm correct. I don't know why they don't give options to the players. I understand that the target audience don't want to drive hundres of kilometres in one race or is not interested in a full race weekend. But damn, that's motorsport! And it even has that noun in its name. Would be nice to have at least those options for the audience who want that.

As a die-hard motorsports fan I'm really disappointed from what I've heard so far.

I'll try summing up the game from what I have played to help you:

Stories of Motorsport Part:

- 498 Individual races split up into 5 Sections with 3 Series each. Each Series has between 4-6 Courses in them and you have a pick of 6 Car Classes per Series.
- Races start from 4-5 Mins long and near the end they go up to 15 Minutes long (2-Full Laps of The Ring).
- Always start in 12th place unless you use mods to place higher.

Showcase Part:

- Has Passing Challenges, One-On-One VS Digital Stig Races, Driving through Cones, Bowling, Endurance Races and Normal Races.

- As NoobCraft said, there are 9 endurance races:
Sebring 300 (86 Laps with reported completion times of 3-Hours)
LeMans 250
Nurburgring 125
Catalunya 100
Road Atlanta 100
Spa Francorchamps 100
Daytona 300
Bathurst 100
Indianapolis 250 (I've only done this one and it's 1 Hour - 1 Hour 10 Mins)

- Some of the Endurance Races are Multi-Class, so for example in the Sebring one you are driving LMP1 Cars and there are GT Cars also driving around, so a sense of Lap Traffic.

terrible

Banned
http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/turn10_postst41479_Steering-Wheels-and-You---A-Hopefully-Helpful-Guide.aspx

Wheel Guide from Gameplay Engineering Lead at T10, hopefully that might help with your issues?

Thanks for the link. The technical info is interesting but the advice in there unfortunately wasn't helpful to me. I already had my deadzones sorted out and I already do the pedal calibration too. I go from 900 to 540 DOR depending on the car too.

After a lot of reading I ended up switching from simulation steering to normal last night and so far that has at least allowed me to feel like I have some control of my car. The FFB is even worse in that mode with the FFB deadzone at the center of the wheel being massive but at least my cars behave more like I've come to expect from the PC sims I've been playing. So it's not ideal but I'm at least posting lap times close to my controller times like that.

If you read through that thread you posted you'll see a ton of people seem to be struggling with this as well.

Noobcraft

More Forzagaf shenanigans from last night. This race was particularly fun.
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Mr Noobcraft/video/9897795

Screenshot-Original.png

Screenshot-Original.png

Screenshot-Original.png

Turn 10 said:
When a new set of Leagues is set, each player’s Driver Division will be reviewed and players will potentially be reclassified based on their current skill level. In addition to skill level, League players will be organized by their temperament levels, which will ensure that clean drivers will be paired with other clean drivers, while players who tend to enjoy more contact will be racing with similar style opponents.

How does Turn 10 determine, whose fault the a "contact" was?? Or do they just not at all?

I mean, I can't look left or right with any button on my wheel and there is no indicator for "car left of you in a blind spot" like in other racing games. I rammed one person today accidentally (he was fine, since his AWD GTR weighed a good 800kg more than my car, I spun out though), but there are other assholes that not only use other cars as their brakes, some just accelerate to drive next to you on a straight, then lunge out to ram you off the road.

For what kind of contacts do I get scored lower for?
Couldn't find anything on the forzamotorsport site, has anyone of you heard something in an interview or so??

Noobcraft

^I assume it just keeps track of your number of collisions with other cars per race, averages it out, and sorts you with people that have similar numbers.

The_D

Neo Member
I mean, I can't look left or right with any button on my wheel and there is no indicator for "car left of you in a blind spot" like in other racing games.

You can use wheel layout 4 to use X & B buttons for looking left & right, plus there are the distance indicators, although they're not too useful. (Distance indicators may need to be turned on in HUD options, I can't recall if it's on by default)

I started digging into the leagues today. Two hours in and it's been way worse than FH2 ever was (for me.)

Hopefully I get elevated out of the bumper car league right away.

Klocker

I started digging into the leagues today. Two hours in and it's been way worse than FH2 ever was (for me.)

Hopefully I get elevated out of the bumper car league right away.

yea i gave up quickly but I think i might try to get graduated up... hope it's as smart as they claim in getting people together who don't want to grief or play destruction derby

You can use wheel layout 4 to use X & B buttons for looking left & right, plus there are the distance indicators, although they're not too useful. (Distance indicators may need to be turned on in HUD options, I can't recall if it's on by default)

hmm, no handbrake and rewind button in a strange spot... but I could map the handbrake to clutch pedal since I use auto-clutch anyway. Gonna give this a try, thanks.

danowat

Banned
Ultimate motorsport volume, world championship tour, great I think, quality tracks worthy of a world championship.

Wrong, Rio, Prague, Lime road pfffttt.

Ultimate motorsport volume, world championship tour, great I think, quality tracks worthy of a world championship.

Wrong, Rio, Prague, Lime road pfffttt.

Dude, Lime Rock might be one of the best courses in the game.

Btw, doing WTCC cars in the rain championship was not a good idea. Those peaky, turbo engines do not like the wet.

Moonkeis

I was having a hard time with the feel of the game until I switched to Simulation steering (playing with controller). I skipped Forza 5 so I've been use to FH2. It's all good now though, everything is clicking and I'm hooked.

Spookie

Coming off rFactor 2 to this game is driving me mental. It's impossible to get a consistent corner with how poorly the brakes are simulated.

Edit: fov is also completely incorrect making it harder to find breaking points.

Gek54

Waking up and jumping straight into the F1 shine challenge and then immediately into the first stock rival challenge with a stock S3, I might as well be Clarkson in a hover craft.

Noobcraft

Nanaw, what sort of wizardry is this!?
http://xboxclips.com/LoopOfHenle/2d9b3088-cca7-4010-8fea-bb023205ce64

"You beat nanaw"
"Next rival is... Nanaw"
I had a drag race online where my opponent and I tied (exact same time) but it gave me the win and him the loss. I wonder how it decides lol.

Also a side note, if anyone wants the achievement for winning a multiplayer race with zero assists, you can earn it in about 18 seconds by taking a drag tuned Alfa 33 Stradale into the RWD drag racing playlist. It does 18 second miles.

Coming off rFactor 2 to this game is driving me mental. It's impossible to get a consistent corner with how poorly the brakes are simulated.

Edit: fov is also completely incorrect making it harder to find breaking points.

I'm glad it wasn't me thinking something felt off. Honestly, I don't feel like I'm connected to the car through the controller at all. Disappointed that the vibration on the triggers can't be disabled independently from the rest of the pad. I'm sure I'll get used to it though.

I wonder how it decides lol.

Games typically count more accurate numbers than they ever show you.

On the leaderboard, two times might've both said 1:54.308. What the game doesn't show you is that the first might've been 1:54.30862 and the other 1:54.30823, meaning there's a clear winner.

Spookie

I'm glad it wasn't me thinking something felt off. Honestly, I don't feel like I'm connected to the car through the controller at all. Disappointed that the vibration on the triggers can't be disabled independently from the rest of the pad. I'm sure I'll get used to it though.

You should be able to use 100% pressure initially before the wheels begin to lock up. But in this game anything over 70% leads to lock ups even from full speed. It's backward! :/

Same here, though I'm coming from real life instead of a video game lol.

There's just no chance in fncking hell you can drift a stock 2013 Mazda Miata in real life. I've got an 06 Miata IRL(they're the same generation only difference is interior and forged engine internals, same suspension and all that), and even right now, with the mods I have on it, its still practically impossible to drift it on corners unless the road is wet or I'm running summer tires in the winter... but even then I really really really gotta push it for my car to start sliding.

I've gotten used to it and the vibrating triggers are actually helpful as I can figure it out when I'm already at the threshold of grip, as well as simply tuning the suspension helps a lot, so I'm enjoying it a lot now compared to when I initially got it. But everytime I use my Miata in game I'm just reminded how ridiculously easy it is to slide when I can't even do it in real life lol.

Noobcraft

^I don't know that Project Cars physics should be any sort of benchmark. In my experience with it they felt overly grippy, and with assists on (TCS and ABS) it feels very similar to NFS Shift/Driveclub.

commedieu

Banned
If you're coming from other simulations, Forza isn't trying to do what Rfactor2 did. They have physics catered towards a large demographic. Correct me if I'm wrong. Just trying to explain what the noted difference may stem from.

Edit: pcars is doin alright in the sim arena..-- https://twitter.com/ReneRastRacing/status/608599527399002112?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

Its probably all subjective. But, Pcars is a better sim of a vehicle than Gran turismo, and is up there with GTR as far as difficulty.. imo.

but,

If forza is going for a balanced sim.. eh.. enjoy it? I mean I doubt any of us are going to be racing fulltime. game looks tits :)

^I don't know that Project Cars physics should be any sort of benchmark. In my experience with it they felt overly grippy, and with assists on (TCS and ABS) it feels very similar to NFS Shift/Driveclub.

I agree the GT cars do seem too easy in pCars, braking is so simple even giving a full pull on the trigger at high speed. Forza a bit too Slippy. We need something inbeteern the two.

danowat

Banned
I've not driven anything as advanced as a GT car, but I have driven slick shod racing cars, and let me tell you, they have a ton of mechanical grip, without even thinking about aero.

Forza slicks are all kinds of wrong, PCars is much closer to reality.

terrible

Banned
http://www.teamvvv.com/en/news/comments/Forza-Motorsport-6-vs-Project-CARS-handling-comparison

This might be worth a watch, FM6 still suffers from the 'slippy physics = more real' issue, although not quite so much as 5.

It's only really a problem with a wheel for me but yeah, cars lose grip way too easily in Forza 6. I've managed to spin low bhp cars (under 200) while easing on the gas exiting turns in Forza 6 with a wheel. It's pretty confusing. No such issues with a controller personally.

And while PCars isn't exactly the benchmark for physics it is a lot closer to well respected PC sims like Assetto Corsa and rFactor 2 than Forza. Forza has its own very unique feeling when it comes to grip and FFB. With sim steering and assists off I'd rather use a controller. With steering on normal Forza 6 so far seems ok for my driving style but the FFB needs work.

Same here, though I'm coming from real life instead of a video game lol.

There's just no chance in fncking hell you can drift a stock 2013 Mazda Miata in real life. I've got an 06 Miata IRL(they're the same generation only difference is interior and forged engine internals, same suspension and all that), and even right now, with the mods I have on it, its still practically impossible to drift it on corners unless the road is wet or I'm running summer tires in the winter... but even then I really really really gotta push it for my car to start sliding.

Somehow I can't believe that. I haven't checked the torque of that thing, but it has over 150hp and not very wide rear tyres. Are you sure you have the traction control and stability management turned off?
Also count in that some esses on racetracks in forza come close to a scandinavian flick maneuver... then there is off-camber turns and so on that make you car slide more easily.

commedieu

Banned
Somehow I can't believe that. I haven't checked the torque of that thing, but it has over 150hp and not very wide rear tyres. Are you sure you have the traction control and stability management turned off?
Also count in that some esses on racetracks in forza come close to a scandinavian flick maneuver... then there is off-camber turns and so on that make you car slide more easily.

I'd assume someone modifying their vehicle, would know to turn traction controls/stability off..if trying to drift..

Spookie

If you're coming from other simulations, Forza isn't trying to do what Rfactor2 did. They have physics catered towards a large demographic.

Funny thing is, driving a GT car in other sims is incredibly easy due to the down force. I can slam the breaks in the first hairpin after the bus stop in spa and move a good 50m before they even think of locking up. But if I put 80% of my trigger down in Forza 6 the brakes have already locked up and I've well over shot my turning point.
aaaah.gif

Noobcraft

A quick look at YouTube shows it is possible to drift a stock miata, but most of the decent drifts have a welded/limited slip differential to force it sideways.

I'd assume someone modifying their vehicle, would know to turn traction controls/stability off..if trying to drift..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXw9loFqJpY

From the YT-comments:

Q: is that a standard mx-5 or does it have uprated engine / remapped etc ?
A: standard 1.8L.. the only upgrade is racing beat headers

(the Miata 2013 in the game even is a 2.0L)

Edit: probably low-grip, hard rear tyres in the video, but still, shouldn't be "practically impossible" to do drifting with stock tyres.

Klocker

Got way too much money in Forza hub rewards 16 mil.
Level 34 and have nearly every car that I want short of the vintage touring cars.

Got to find something to race for besides credits now

On the physics debate, yes Gt cars in p cars feels amazing and f6 a little slippery but still enjoyable.

Road cars otoh , f6 shits all over pcars

Top Bottom