• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 6 |OT| Forza turns 10

terrible

Banned
You're saying AC and rF2 have similar grip to PCARS?

It's closer to those games than it is to Forza I'd say in terms of grip. There are definitely some weird things with Project CARS though, like how I floor it off the line without TCS in a powerful RWD car and my tires won't spin.

Somehow I can't believe that. I haven't checked the torque of that thing, but it has over 150hp and not very wide rear tyres. Are you sure you have the traction control and stability management turned off?
Also count in that some esses on racetracks in forza come close to a scandinavian flick maneuver... then there is off-camber turns and so on that make you car slide more easily.

140hp at the wheels and 115-ish ft-lb of torque also at the wheels in real life actually.

Yeah I've got TCS and STM off in game, and in my own car at least it doesn't have any kind of assists, just ABS which is the only assist I've got on in game.

The Miata, despite its tiny tires, comes out of the factory with monstrous grip. I'm on mobile so I can't link it, but there's a video of Carlos Lago from Motor Trend drifting a '13 Miata in a figure eight, and IIRC even he's having a hard time at it.

140hp at the wheels and 115-ish ft-lb of torque also at the wheels in real life actually.

Yeah I've got TCS and STM off in game, and in my own car at least it doesn't have any kind of assists, just ABS which is the only assist I've got on in game.

The Miata, despite its tiny tires, comes out of the factory with monstrous grip. I'm on mobile so I can't link it, but there's a video of Carlos Lago from Motor Trend drifting a '13 Miata in a figure eight, and IIRC even he's having a hard time at it.

Wikipedia says that the third generation Miatas have traction and stability control, but could be that it was optional and the wikipedia didn't mention it.

In the video you were suggesting the guy makes an awesome drift at 3:16 (edit: https://youtu.be/HH3JqomBrA8?t=3m4s ) and earlier he says that you can drift the car ...and the Miata in the game has 20% more horsepower over yours, probably RF-tyres for the highest equipment tier with the 2.0L engine that also must have more torque than yours.

Don't think that I'm the FM6 defense force, but the thing shouldn't be stuck to the road in that game.

terrible

Banned
Wikipedia says that the third generation Miatas have traction and stability control, but could be that it was optional and the wikipedia didn't mention it.

In the video you were suggesting the guy makes an awesome drift at 3:16 (edit: https://youtu.be/HH3JqomBrA8?t=3m4s ) and earlier he says that you can drift the car ...and the Miata in the game has 20% more horsepower over yours, probably RF-tyres for the highest equipment tier with the 2.0L engine that also must have more torque than yours.

Don't think that I'm the FM6 defense force, but the thing shouldn't be stuck to the road in that game.

Until I see you defending Forza in the comments section of every single web article or video relating to the series I personally won't consider you part of the defense force.

lol

I know others have criticized it, but I actually like the drivatars in this particular Forza. They feel just right. Unpredictable, consistently challenging and a race never really feels the same for me. I even leave the aggression on and am currently running it at "Above Average" difficulty. I don't think I've ever come in 1st yet and I actually love it :)

Wasn't gonna buy this game in the first place, but having a blast with the full game! Game looks fantastic, and the physics really are excellent. I had a hard time controlling cars in Forza 5 and braking was real hard for me ( I'm usually into arcade racers ) but now I actually manage to do quite well. Driving through puddles is great and makes my heart go faster. Hope there will be more tracks, weather options or time of day settings in the future DLC.

Could someone help me with the controller settings? Im fighting with the throttle and the brake, I had no issues with Forza 4 and xbox 360 controller but these are way too sensible and triggers are way too soft.

You can drift a standard mk1 MX5, but you have to provoke it a lot, however it doesn't have the power to get any huge ones. You can do lift off oversteer, a Scandinavian flick going in, or as I did once by mistake, do a bit of shift lock going in to Quarry corner at Castle Coombe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0Rpggyt8w0

I once did a track day at Brands Hatch Indy, and the instructor remarked on the grip. We were going in to Druids at like 70 (it was a while ago), you'd just turn in off the power, he would shout 'full power now' and off you'd go. I basically baked my road tyres in the 20 minute session.

What I've found no game conveys is just how steep Paddock Hill is. From trackside, you're looking at the roofs of the cars. In car, I was looking through where the roof would be if it were up.

Check out my Indy skills. :p

gv7EO6B.gif

Could someone help me with the controller settings? Im fighting with the throttle and the brake, I had no issues with Forza 4 and xbox 360 controller but these are way too sensible and triggers are way too soft.

Too sensitive and too soft seems like a contradiction.

A lot of people run their trigger deazones at 0/100. Have you tried that?

Hawk269

Tonight was some of the most fun I've ever had playing online. Physically exhausted from laughing.

ForzaGAF is amazing.

It was a blast. Some hilarious times last night. I was still laughing as I was trying to fall asleep to be up at 4am. Some good racing too, especially with the "E" Class Cars. lol

You can drift a standard mk1 MX5, but you have to provoke it a lot, however it doesn't have the power to get any huge ones. You can do lift off oversteer, a Scandinavian flick going in, or as I did once by mistake, do a bit of shift lock going in to Quarry corner at Castle Coombe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0Rpggyt8w0

Sounds completely believable to me. The stock differential must also be problematic for drifting, but it's not like the thing doesn't have enough power to fly rear-wheels-spinning out of corners you went into too fast. That was my point here.

Track Day at Brands Hatch sounds super awesome btw.

gv7EO6B.gif
Downforce becomes lift haha :D

Portman

I picked up the game today so I'll be joining in the fun soon. I wanted to ask about the addons and community though so I can make some informed purchases if needed.

Is there a good online community? I haven't played since Forza 2 so I don't know what to expect although from reading earlier in the thread today it sounds like there is a good one (or at least a good GAF one which I might have to see if I can get into).

Is the VIP pass or car pass worth it? I'm guessing it will depend on if I play online since most of the additional stuff seem related to that but I couldn't find many details on them so I wanted to ask.

Not all have TCS or STM. This is how it looks inside my Miata and how it looks like inside of a NC Miata with TCS.

No offense but I'm guessing you don't much about cars?

In game it has 20% horsepower(167hp) because that's the crank horsepower, or an HP figure coming straight from the engine. Those figures I mentioned above are the wheel horsepower, meaning that's the HP figures when you test the car on a dyno, or when you're just driving around. ALL cars have about about 15% to 20% less wheel HP. Here's a really good explanation on the difference between wheel HP and crank HP.

Even if we account for the fact that the game is based on crank HP figures instead of wheel HP figures as it would be in real life, 27 HP and 21 ft-lb torque is not enough to get a car to lose traction. Otherwise, I'd have been dead in a ditch years ago.

You CAN drift a Miata if you're doing the Scandinavian flick or pull the e-brake, but coming out of a corner and mashing the gas to the floor? Oh sure you'll probably spin out(I've done it before), but you would have crossed the threshold of grip and you won't be able to recover unless you're Fujiwara Takumi or Randy Pobst.

That said, I'm not hating on the game at all... hell I bought the limited edition console since I was really looking forward to it, and I'm not looking to disparage the game for not being an absolution recreation of real life either. I'm enjoying it for what it is and the oversteer prone handling is a decent challenge as it actually makes the game harder and more fun imo.

I picked up the game today so I'll be joining in the fun soon. I wanted to ask about the addons and community though so I can make some informed purchases if needed.

Is there a good online community? I haven't played since Forza 2 so I don't know what to expect although from reading earlier in the thread today it sounds like there is a good one (or at least a good GAF one which I might have to see if I can get into).

Is the VIP pass or car pass worth it? I'm guessing it will depend on if I play online since most of the additional stuff seem related to that but I couldn't find many details on them so I wanted to ask.

ForzaGAF is awesome. I think the Forza community overall is pretty great.

League play is a little frustrating right now in my experience, but that should work itself out.

At $20, the VIP pass is a pricey, but the cars are excellent and the double CR bonus is really nice, particularly now that Forza Rewards seem to have been reduced.

The car pass is worth it for me because I love the monthly excitement of new cars, and I just like supporting the game, but it's definitely not necessary.

One thing to keep in mind about the car packs if you're on the fence is that everyone gets one free car per pack, and if there's a particular car you ever want, you can just buy that pack for $5.

Noobcraft

1. It's pretty good as far as online communities go. The racing is mixed, with some players more interested in playing demolition derbies than racing, but for the most part it's fun.

Also you're welcome to join in on ForzaGAF races but you might be overwhelmed by my plethora of incredibly good ideas.

2. The Gurkha. I don't know how the car pass will turn out (they're usually pretty decent), but the VIP and (separately) the Gurkha are awesome.

as far as physics and tire physics I think FM6 feels a lot better than FM5, in FM5 there was a lot of high speed corner sudden loss of grip wich made turns like the schumacher S on nurburgring GP or long turn 3 on catalunya impossible. FM6 seems to have more leniency on the grip and you can feel through the FFB the limits of grip without falling an unrecoverable cliff in grip like FM5 has, haven't tried the race cars but with sim steering and everything off i had a blast with the F-type around monza. never felt so confident in FM5 with the wheel (im on TX), even the kerbs felt like they could upset eveything too much, for me it feels much better and you can have more fun on FM6 with a wheel than i ever could on FM5.

Also, if you think you're the only ones suffering with the E23 check this out straight from this weekends singapore GP from the F1 OT: (credit to SunhiLegend)
untitled-2rcljw.gif

Too sensitive and too soft seems like a contradiction.

A lot of people run their trigger deazones at 0/100. Have you tried that?

How is a contradiction? the spring of the triggers are too soft, so a little preasure make it go about 20% and since the game is too sensitive that 20% on the brakes means locking them when you drive without ABS.

I´ll try that 0/100 , Thanks.

How is a contradiction? the spring of the triggers are too soft, so a little preasure make it go about 20% and since the game is too sensitive that 20% on the brakes means locking them when you drive without ABS.

I´ll try that 0/100 , Thanks.

I see. The other thing you can try is lowering the brake pressure. I don't personally, but many prefer <100% brake pressure with ABS off.

oatmeal

Banned
So what's the verdict? I have F5 and enjoy it well enough...but it definitely has a lack of modes and whatnot. It's all pretty samey.

Bgamer90

Banned
So what's the verdict? I have F5 and enjoy it well enough...but it definitely has a lack of modes and whatnot. It's all pretty samey.

Forza 6 isn't a huge jump in graphics over 5 (though there are improvements) but content and gameplay wise? Night and day difference.

It's currently this gen's Gran Turismo 3 in my opinion. I haven't been this addicted to a sim racing game since Forza 4.

terrible

Banned
My first online race went so smoothly. As soon as the light turned green the guy to my left pulled completely to the right and took me out putting me in last place. He drove away fine. I would have avoided him but the wall to my right made that impossible lol.

I finished 13th :/

Top Bottom