• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 6 |OT| Forza turns 10

Devildoll

100% better, maths bitch.

Wouldn't 100% better be 0fps ;)

at 60 fps, your box has 16 ms to render the image before it is time for the next one.
at 30 you got double the time, 33 ms.
at 1 you'd have the whole second to render your frame, 60x the time.
at 0 you have unlimited graphics!!!! but you never get to see the result.

But the compute time it takes to render effects is not linear in relation to how awesome they might subjectively look.

You're generally not going to get twice as good a looking game by rendering twice as long.
Depending on the person looking at it.

Watkins Glen is probably the best track in the game, at least in the discussion. Low speed, high speed. It doesn't matter. Just awesome.

Yeah, I haven't driven that track in any other game, and i've really fallen for it in FM6.

Welcome to Forza 1, 2, 3, 4, 5... and now 6.

It's a perennial problem that never gets addressed.
I'm certain it's new to FM6, or at least 5 and 6.

I was playing 1 and 4 yesterday, both on hardest difficulty and *I* was the one in first by miles. I'm not even sure if it's exclusive to the drivatar tech because it never happened in FH2.

Grassy

Yeah, I expected some backlash, but those tracks don't (IMO) go hand in hand with a quality racing experience, they can be fun to hotlap round, but racing on them is (for me) just a whole load of frustration.

As for Bathurst, I have actually driven round it in real life, one of our holidays to Australia, we took a (big) detour from our trip to the Blue Mountains to visit the track, and as it's a public road, you can drive round it, I can fathom out how they race around it like they do, the section down the mountian is seriously tight in real life, plus, the museum there is excellent, so don't get me wrong, I love Bathurst!

I agree with your take on Bathurst even though I'm a bloody Australian. It's a frustrating track to race on, but I love doing hot laps on it.

I really don't like Silverstone and Hockenheim, they are so flat tracks, I like some elevation to vary things up and to see oncoming corners. On those two tracks I really have diffculties finding a good braking point.

I fucking LOVE Hockenheimring. I did the Formula Ford Showcase today and it was great fun. Makes me wish there was a proper championship series for the Formula Ford's though.

danowat

Banned
at 60 fps, your box has 16 ms to render the image before it is time for the next one.

But the compute time it takes to render effects is not linear in relation to how awesome they might subjectively look.

You're generally not going to get twice as good a looking game by rendering twice as long.

It was probably just a joke.........

Wouldn't 100% better be 0fps ;)
Damn. I meant 200% better. Maths fail.

100% the frame rate of 30 fps = 30 fps
But 100% better than 30 fps = 60 fps.
The better changes what is meant.
Kind of like how if I say I have 12 apples, it means something different than I have 12 more apples than what you thought I did.
So you were actually 100% correct.

Or instead of 0 fps, that might just be rounding error.
1/3600. 1 frame every hour! 3600 times the graphics!

SarBear

Man, Road America. I think I like the track.

But I also hate it.

Road America is a very good track, but I find it so deceiving. It was some really, really fast stretches and even though it has a lot of elevation so you can see turns early on; I always seem to misjudge the braking time needed. It must be because I'm going way faster than on other tracks and it looks like I have a mile of road to brake on, but it simply isn't enough.

Well I'll give it a new go this evening hopefully.

Hmmm.....try turning on the brake line, then braking just a touch earlier than what the game suggests. You'll get used to that line, which is pretty good IMO, but as you become comfortable you can adjust where you want to brake. Seriously, tho, Road America is a lot of coasting and hard acceleration.

On holiday next week so what do I do? went out and bought forza 6 finally \o/

Not going to have much time playing it until next week though, it's teasing me so much with it's box sat on my desk.

Mascot

I'm certain it's new to FM6, or at least 5 and 6.

I was playing 1 and 4 yesterday, both on hardest difficulty and *I* was the one in first by miles. I'm not even sure if it's exclusive to the drivatar tech because it never happened in FH2.

Ignoring where your human-controlled car is positioned, after a few laps FM AI has always been a couple of slow cars at the back, then a gap, then a cluster of cars in the middle, then a huge gap, then M Rossi (or his equivalent) miles out in front all on his own. It's endemic in the series.

For years I thought it was a crafty way of spreading the computing load somehow.

It's bloody annoying, and always has been. I'd much rather be racing as part of a tight pack with even abilities and horsepower.

danowat

Banned
Ignoring where your human-controlled car is positioned, after a few laps FM AI has always been a couple of slow cars at the back, then a gap, then a cluster of cars in the middle, then a huge gap, then M Rossi (or his equivalent) miles out in front all on his own. It's endemic in the series.

For years I thought it was a crafty way of spreading the computing load somehow.

It's bloody annoying, and always has been. I'd much rather be racing as part of a tight pack with even abilities and horsepower.

It's not consistent in FM6 though, it doesn't happen in every race (at least IME), which leads me to think that it is a bug, and not T10 blowing smoke up our.....

I really believe, that this will be fixed.
This was posted on the official forum by The Beard himself regarding the issues with AI being superhuman sometimes.
Dan Greenawalt on forzamotorsport.net said:
We are looking into this issue. We have ruled out rubber banding and other oddities. It appears to be a higher skilled Drivatar being pulled into the incorrect difficulty group and placed in pole, but we don't have it completely isolated yet. We do not see this as low priority. We hear the community and enter your feedback directly into our database. Rest assured that this will not effect the amount of CR/XP you will earn.
The strange thing is that it happens on unbeatable difficulty too and also in the showcase events, where it's always the same drivatars (well, at least the same names, M.Rossi and his gang). Probably not the easiest problem to get to the bottom of.

In FM1 and FM4 yesterday, all of the AI would be clustered together as one big thing, and it's been that way for as long as I can remember.

Mascot

In FM1 and FM4 yesterday, all of the AI would be clustered together as one big thing, and it's been that way for as long as I can remember.

OK, well my memory is quite different. In fact, I played FM4 about a week or so ago and it really jumped out at me (along with the mid corner braking AAARRGGHH) because I'd been so used to racing in a tight pack a lot in pCARS.

YMMV though. I'm not doubting you, just that my experience is different.

Dubz

I caved and bought this. Playing with no rewind and all line assists off is a nice challenge.

I know nothing about tuning. Is there a good link that someone could share in regards to proper tuning?

Ebolarama

Banned
No Road Atlanta love? It's like one of my favorite tracks. I love that with F1, the amount of speed you can take them corners with is ridiculous, flows so well.

I love Road Atlanta. My parents live 20 minutes from there and I visit the track every time I'm in town (my father raced motocross and road races and used to hit Road Atlanta often in the 80s).

Am I the only one who likes Sonoma? That track makes me really want the other missing FM4 tracks, that didn't make the cut, reintroduced.

danowat

Banned
I know nothing about tuning. Is there a good link that someone could share in regards to proper tuning?

In terms of upgrades?, in short, in FM power is king, and the auto upgrade doesn't actually do that bad a job of things this time around...........

I could not hold back and played through the intro stuff, I played the demo but finally playing the full game feels good, I also have a brand new controller so my left stick isn't butt any more which helps.

It's nice to be back in the forza party after only playing 5 for a little bit and returning to forza 4.

*edit* can you only have one blue mod card enabled at a time? didn't know that! good thing in a way otherwise you would have a beast of a car without much effort.

You guys might want to check out the Tuner's Lounge on FM.net.

On YouTube, guys like Raceboy77, MoneyMan300, Stella Stig, ROT King and more I can't think of off the top of my head are good sources too.

Keep in mind that a lot the FM5 information doesn't seem to apply to FM6. For instance, the camber and brake pressure values that people were using in FM5 seem terrible in FM6.

Disagree with comments from some earlier that there are enough cars. I don't believe the vast number exist so you can collect hundreds - but so we can all have our own favourites - tastes being differents.

There are lots of cars I could add to the roster that aren't in there yet and of course new cars on the way. The increase in car count is a great thing for differing tastes, rather than a wish to collect them all.

GHG

Gold Member
Disagree with comments from some earlier that there are enough cars. I don't believe the vast number exist so you can collect hundreds - but so we can all have our own favourites - tastes being differents.

There are lots of cars I could add to the roster that aren't in there yet and of course new cars on the way. The increase in car count is a great thing for differing tastes, rather than a wish to collect them all.

While I agree, I think most people would still prefer more tracks (or more night/wet variants of tracks) than more cars. There are so many cars right now that most people will never drive every single car in the game.

But since we are getting more cars anyway I'd like to see more race spec cars. Maybe some Japanese touring cars.

frontieruk

No Road Atlanta love? It's like one of my favorite tracks. I love that with F1, the amount of speed you can take them corners with is ridiculous, flows so well.

If it makes you feel better, Road Atlanta is in the top 25% of tracks we surveyed on, so there is love here for it.

Ebolarama

Banned

I agree with this, and I don't feel that adding new cars takes away from other pursuits like rain/night additions and new tracks. I like having the variety of numerous cars and I like having additions of new models to look forward to. While I'm never going to specialize in all the cars, I'm a bit of an experimental driver in that I like to race as many different cars as I can and even feel hemmed in when I only get 1 type of car for an entire series (E23 modern grand prix for instance).

If it's a T10 manpower thing, and it's only possible for one or the other, I'd prefer tracks. But the car pass is already established so it's going to happen whether we prefer it or not.

I would like to know this as well

First, you have to know that you can't experience oversteer and understeer with a controller the way you can in real life or by using a wheel with Forza, because of the many ways Turn 10 has optimized the controller inputs (and speed sensitive steering is only the beginning in Forza); a car with lots of oversteer my seem to have super wide turn radius in hairpin corners(sensed understeer), because the controller steering doesn't allow you turn in more, thus preventing you from spinning out. That's why it's often better to just find community tunings made by pros for the controller to circumvent the controller hand-holding where you can push the car more.

For the "upgrading" part of tuning in Forza, Danowat is right, don't upgrade just to make your car handle great, power is super important if you want to be competitive. Another good tip is to look at the leaderboards for what kind of cars are good on which track, is the leaderboard full of light-weight cars, is FWD still an option, do you need max power for this track...?

When it comes to the "fine-tuning a setup"-part of tuning in Forza (setting up the suspension etc. like in real racing leagues), it's good to get a picture of what something like an "anti-roll bar" actually is. So check that out on Wikipedia or sometimes I found this guy's Youtube channel pretty helpful(edit: You can find some pretty dense knowledge about the history of tech in cars here. I liked this summary a lot, but the writer manages to make more spelling mistakes than I do in my posts here). Then fiddle around with the setting of said part a little bit, do a testdrive, fiddle with it some more and also look at your telemetry (up on D-Pad) for camber and spring travel and so on.
On racing forums you also find a lot of easy-tables posted "if oversteer then...", this here was posted in the GAF PC sim racing thread and does a good job:
YXmCK56.jpg
But getting a picture in your head of what prevents you from getting a better time (spin out on curbs, car to stiff? Can't take that turn without too much power-oversteer? Spin out under braking?), what happens to the car in that moment and how can you remedy that behavior with what you've learned about sway-bars, ride-height, damper stiffness, differentials and whatnot is what helps me personally the most.

Peterpan

I just did a test against the easiest AI in the game and I came in 2nd lol. In 6 laps on Long Beach I was lapping people by lap 6 yet I was still in 2nd. I passed him on the last turn but he flew by me anyway before the finish line. Funny.

edit:

Here's a video of his superhuman acceleration. Yes that was me that smacked into the back of him. I was hoping he'd wipe out. Don't judge me.
This can get really annoying. Hope they fix it soon.

As someone who refuses to use rewind it sucks that you only get a 10% cash boost for turning it off, same goes for removing TSM and ABS the difference between using one of them and none of them is 2%...

Yeah. You can have up to three greens but only one each of blue and purple.

Could you imagine if you could use three blues? lol early game I have the +6 grip and a +12 brake, just need a power one and I would have a car with a lot of PI points above cap for each class.

Also for those who dislike the mods system think of it as a pit crew, with the cards which give stats like having someone good at their job and knowing what's what, it makes the mod system feel a lot better.

Maybe in forza 7 they can give us a real pit crew.

*edit* I also have a nice +60% xp card i'm going to save until I want to drive around the ring a few times in the dark.

I've not encountered the problem with AI driver starting really fast and being impossible to catch but I do have a problem where one of the AI always, always catches me on the 2nd last or last lap.

It's always the same AI, it has to be an AI as the person who's gamertag it is has never played any Forza in his life, and no matter how far I am ahead, no matter how perfect I'm driving it will always catch me. 6, 8, 10 second leads gone in a single lap.

I don't mind a bit of a challenge when I play but I mainly play Forza listening to music and to relax. I also want to win every single race so having this shitty AI in everyone of my races is really making me hate this game.

Oh and Long Beach sucks.

Dubz

First, you have to know that you can't experience oversteer and understeer with a controller the way you can in real life or by using a wheel with Forza, because of the many ways Turn 10 has optimized the controller inputs (and speed sensitive steering is only the beginning in Forza); a car with lots of oversteer my seem to have super wide turn radius in hairpin corners(sensed understeer), because the controller steering doesn't allow you turn in more, thus preventing you from spinning out. That's why it's often better to just find community tunings made by pros for the controller to circumvent the controller hand-holding where you can push the car more.

For the "upgrading" part of tuning in Forza, Danowat is right, don't upgrade just to make your car handle great, power is super important if you want to be competitive. Another good tip is to look at the leaderboards for what kind of cars are good on which track, is the leaderboard full of light-weight cars, is FWD still an option, do you need max power for this track...?

When it comes to the "fine-tuning a setup"-part of tuning in Forza (setting up the suspension etc. like in real racing leagues), it's good to get a picture of what something like an "anti-roll bar" actually is. So check that out on Wikipedia or sometimes I found this guy's Youtube channel pretty helpful(edit: You can find some pretty dense knowledge about the history of tech in cars here. I liked this summary a lot, but the writer manages to make more spelling mistakes than I do in my posts here). Then fiddle around with the setting of said part a little bit, do a testdrive, fiddle with it some more and also look at your telemetry (up on D-Pad) for camber and spring travel and so on.
On racing forums you also find a lot of easy-tables posted "if oversteer then...", this here was posted in the GAF PC sim racing thread and does a good job:

But getting a picture in your head of what prevents you from getting a better time (spin out on curbs, car to stiff? Can't take that turn without too much power-oversteer? Spin out under braking?), what happens to the car in that moment and how can you remedy that behavior with what you've learned about sway-bars, ride-height, damper stiffness, differentials and whatnot is what helps me personally the most.

Thank you so much for this. A lot of good info to go over when I get home

I've not encountered the problem with AI driver starting really fast and being impossible to catch but I do have a problem where one of the AI always, always catches me on the 2nd last or last lap.

It's always the same AI, it has to be an AI as the person who's gamertag it is has never played any Forza in his life, and no matter how far I am ahead, no matter how perfect I'm driving it will always catch me. 6, 8, 10 second leads gone in a single lap.

I don't mind a bit of a challenge when I play but I mainly play Forza listening to music and to relax. I also want to win every single race so having this shitty AI in everyone of my races is really making me hate this game.

Oh and Long Beach sucks.
AI using the brakes heavy in shallow corners is another annoying thing, you either smack into the back of them like sunday drivers or pass 3-4 cars in one turn on expert because you take the correct racing line.

I did notice earlier that at least one AI car would usually take first and zoom ahead while the other AI cars all stay as a group, it reminds me of gran turismo 1 where one AI car was always super human and the only real challenge.

A noticeable amount, but even if it looked photo-realistic, i wouldn't take that instead of 60 fps.
Not in a game i actually want to play.
i ask this because in another thread I said I thought forza 6 looked comparable to driveclub.

so if the game were 30...wouldn't it be close?

i ask this because in another thread I said I thought forza 6 looked comparable to driveclub.

so if the game were 30...wouldn't it be close?

depends on a lot of things, what would the extra rendering time be used for, the person making the shaders for the cars or more polygons? Part of why driveclub looks so good is because the people working on it know how to whip up some real nice shaders and lighting as well as using the power available to them.

As someone who refuses to use rewind it sucks that you only get a 10% cash boost for turning it off, same goes for removing TSM and ABS the difference between using one of them and none of them is 2%...

It's nice when you get a Dare card that matches your assist preferences because it adds to it. I usually run with the 20% bonus for something, sim damage a lot of the time.

Could you imagine if you could use three blues? lol early game I have the +6 grip and a +12 brake, just need a power one and I would have a car with a lot of PI points above cap for each class.

Green cards don't have two bonus, but you can get pretty insane power, weight reduction, grip, brake and whatever bonuses (on the Super Rares) and stack them.

It's fun for a moment or two, but tbh, this is probably one of my least favorite aspects of FM6.

EBreda

Regarding US tracks...

Love Sonoma, Watkins Glen. Coincidentally, tracks where I actually have been to during Indycar races. Road Atlanta is also excellent in my book. Road America is also pretty good.
Hate COTA, though.

My most hated track so far in the game is definitely Yas Marina. Pure flat garbage with lots of room to cheat. Hate most stuff by Hermann Tilke, exception being Istambul and Sepang (barely).

GHG

Gold Member
What's a good track to run while you get used to having the different car assists turned off?

Laguna Seca.

Good variety of high speed and low speed corners with plenty of elevation changes.

It's always my go to track when trying out a new car.

What a lovely lovely car the BAC Mono is to drive with assists off. Loads of grip, easy to drift (in the old fashioned 1960s F1 sense) round corners and swoop from apex to apex. Been having some fun with it in rivals this evening. I'm never going to trouble the top of the leaderboards but had a great time with this car.

How popular is Watkins Glen here...cause I can't remember having this much fun on a track.

It's probably my favourite track besides the Nordschleife. It's so fast and smooth, you can go from outer edge to apex so cleanly. It has perfect flow and it's a great track.

Dubz

This game is a lot of fun, but the issue with the AI being unbeatable is making me want to tear my hair out. It's almost impossible to get a first place. I just had a race where the first place the AI lap time would have been in the top 40 in the world, and I was playing on average. This needs to be patched.

Top Bottom