• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 6 |OT| Forza turns 10

Fox Mulder

This game is a lot of fun, but the issue with the AI being unbeatable is making me want to tear my hair out. It's almost impossible to get a first place even on I just had a race she the AI lap time would have been in the top 40 in the world, and I was playing on average. This needs to be patched.

It sucks, but forza only wants you to be top 3.

I just laughed at a race where an AI Bugatti Veyron destroyed a field of ferraris, paganis, and McLaren P1s, at nurburgring in the rain by 9 seconds. I thought I was in first.

They should really do a Bugatti track series in real life if that's the case.

Bgamer90

Banned
Yeah, I also have to say that I miss Forza 5's gold/silver/bronze breakdown.

It would have made more sense to implement it into Forza 6 due to more racers on the track. I come in third and second a lot but I very rarely get first.

I have too much pride to play with settings that are easier than what I used in previous Forza Motorsports (haha).

dedhead54

The Team Forza Ferrari 458 Italia is the first car I've driven in my career that I really, really struggled to maintain control of (for all 6 races of the series). I just don't have the finesse with the trigger when accelerating out of the apex and I constantly lost traction. I'm glad that is over. (I have tcs & stm off, abs on)

Also, I never get anything less than 2nd but I very rarely can catch the lead car. He pulls away halfway through the first lap and I never catch up.

terrible

Banned
As much as I liked the Alfa 33 Stradale in FH2 I think it's even better in this game. Unsurprisingly it seems like a popular leaderboard car like the BAC Mono too.

Evo X

I just laughed at a race where an AI Bugatti Veyron destroyed a field of ferraris, paganis, and McLaren P1s, at nurburgring in the rain by 9 seconds. I thought I was in first.

I don't see how that is unrealistic. The Bugatti Supersport is seriously fast in real life. Given the fact that the ring has a bunch of high speed sections, and rain giving AWD a big traction advantage over the other cars, a 9 second lead over a 13 mile course isn't hard to imagine.

lem0n

I don't see how that is unrealistic. The Bugatti Supersport is seriously fast in real life. Given the fact that the ring has a bunch of high speed sections, and rain giving AWD a big traction advantage over the other cars, a 9 second lead over a 13 mile course isn't hard to imagine.

Exactly, AWD is to blame for that.

Is the 1st place AI flying WAY ahead confirmed to be a glitch btw?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
This game really deserves to get more flak for its stupid ai and difficulty spikes. I'm an above average Forza player. I played all of fm5 on unbeatable with few issues getting first and almost none getting top 3. It was a well tuned and pretty consistent experience. Unbeatable was my fm5 sweet spot. In fm6, there is no sweet spot. I constantly have to fuck with ai settings to be co petitive. Ive been racing on pro (just below unbeatable) and some races it feels great, like fm5s unbeatable its a challenge but first is attainable with good racing. But some races 1st just shoots to a crazy lead time unlike every car on the field. Other races, I win by literally 10+ seconds. Utter blow outs. I've. Complained about this before, but only after trying some of the showcase events am I truly dumb founded with how big and noticeable the issue is. These are stupidly harder then the typical season race. I frequently have to adjust difficulty from pro down to expert, or even again to highly skilled. Why? Shouldn't the game be balanced in such a way I never have to adjust unless my skills improve? Why should I have to race on unbeatable in Rio, pro on road America, and expert or even highly skilled under show case? None of this was an issue with the obviously rushed fm5 or any previous title. Really frustrated.

terrible

Banned
Is it only first? Sometimes I've actually had 1/2 or even 1/2/3 who are ridiculously fair ahead of the pack.

Yeah, I've seen that as well. The AI really is messed up sometimes. I'd have to check out more replays but it seems like they occasionally get a boost to power. They don't seem to be taking smarter limes or anything they're just way faster in a straight line.

I love the showcase events.

The one with the 70s GT cars at Watkins is amazing. I'll probably replay that one hundreds of times.
The one with modern GT cars at Daytona is equally amazing.

Formula E, however, made me nauseous. The cars are absolute crap and the lack of noise made me feel very disconnected from the car.

damn I just discovered that Apple earbuds don't work on the new Xbox headphone jack, one day before taking my box and forza on holiday for the week.

forza related I hate how buying car parts and installing them is in the main menu like forza 5, it's annoying to have to back out of everything just to go buy car parts.

VinFTW

I'm playing on the 2nd hardest drivatar/overall difficulty, but holy hell, am I the only one who sucks at these cone/timer showcases?

Can't make one under the limit, lmao

This game really deserves to get more flak for its stupid ai and difficulty spikes. I'm an above average Forza player. I played all of fm5 on unbeatable with few issues getting first and almost none getting top 3. It was a well tuned and pretty consistent experience. Unbeatable was my fm5 sweet spot. In fm6, there is no sweet spot. I constantly have to fuck with ai settings to be co petitive. Ive been racing on pro (just below unbeatable) and some races it feels great, like fm5s unbeatable its a challenge but first is attainable with good racing. But some races 1st just shoots to a crazy lead time unlike every car on the field. Other races, I win by literally 10+ seconds. Utter blow outs. I've. Complained about this before, but only after trying some of the showcase events am I truly dumb founded with how big and noticeable the issue is. These are stupidly harder then the typical season race. I frequently have to adjust difficulty from pro down to expert, or even again to highly skilled. Why? Shouldn't the game be balanced in such a way I never have to adjust unless my skills improve? Why should I have to race on unbeatable in Rio, pro on road America, and expert or even highly skilled under show case? None of this was an issue with the obviously rushed fm5 or any previous title. Really frustrated.

truth

It's gotten to the point for me where I just observe how the first lap is going and if I'm not in at least 6th or 5th, I just restart as I ain't ever catching up :/

"Above Average" difficulty btw

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
truth

It's gotten to the point for me where I just observe how the first lap is going and if I'm not in at least 6th or 5th, I just restart as I ain't ever catching up :/

I usually play through the career mode (or most if it if it's the FM checklist type of career, lol) before just picking cars and track combos I like for time trials. This may be my first Forza to actually stop playing the career. I'm only level 20 or so, volume 3, but I think I'm done.

which forza had the dynamic AI ? was that 4 or 3? I don't know.

the drivatar system seems to be no better the. telling the AI set breaking points like in the early forza games even on this next generation hardware.

shinnn

I'm watching F1 practice session right now. Suzuka in the rain. Some big puddles.

Message to Turn10:

giphy.gif

I'm playing on the 2nd hardest drivatar/overall difficulty, but holy hell, am I the only one who sucks at these cone/timer showcases?

2nd hardest Drivatar Diificulty still gives me a good challenge most of the time, but zero problem with the cone challenges. I think I had 40 seconds left for the one with the merc. You play with a controller, right? I remember that these sucked in FM5 with a controller and the wide turn radius at low speeds.

Grassy

Is it only first? Sometimes I've actually had 1/2 or even 1/2/3 who are ridiculously fair ahead of the pack.

I was doing the Formula Ford showcase event the other night and I started on Highly Skilled which I can normally dominate, but the first 3-4 cars were uncatchable. I did spin on the 4th lap which put me back a bit, but when I got to 5th position and despite being 3-4 seconds a lap quicker than these lead cars(going by the post-race lap times), I just couldn't catch them. It seemed like I wasn't even gaining ground on them. I then set the difficulty to Above Average and I was in 1st before the end of the first lap...there's some weird rubber-banding stuff going on.

I've noticed that despite pulling really quick lap times and being in 1st, the two cars behind will sometimes catch up on the last lap. I've also seen the car that's shot out to a ridiculous lead can get reeled in on the last few corners of the last lap a few times. It's like a "tractor beam", you get within a certain range of the car in front of you and it's like they slow down somewhat. It's weird.

Yeah I have to set the difficulty real low for these, I suck at them.

I was just wondering, since T10 guys went to Brazil for Rio track, is there any chance they also scanned Autodromo Jose Carlos Pace while being there? I would really love that track to be in Forza, along with more 70' Grand Prix cars! Just put one car in each DLC pack and we're good :)

bb5224ca-0486-423c-832e-4ca7d6febd9b.jpg

This game is a lot of fun, but the issue with the AI being unbeatable is making me want to tear my hair out. It's almost impossible to get a first place. I just had a race where the first place the AI lap time would have been in the top 40 in the world, and I was playing on average. This needs to be patched.

Yeah, I have had to knock it down a notch, and get first every time. If I turn it up one the car in first is so far ahead I only start to catch him on the last lap as the races are pretty short. It's annoying.

The Team Forza Ferrari 458 Italia is the first car I've driven in my career that I really, really struggled to maintain control of (for all 6 races of the series). I just don't have the finesse with the trigger when accelerating out of the apex and I constantly lost traction. I'm glad that is over. (I have tcs & stm off, abs on)

Also, I never get anything less than 2nd but I very rarely can catch the lead car. He pulls away halfway through the first lap and I never catch up.

I was having problems with the koenigsegg agera. That's a pain in the ass, for me at least. Wish I never bought it.

terrible

Banned
I did the LaFerrari car passing showcase on Monza earlier tonight and I couldn't stop laughing. I tapped a Mini by mistake and it went flying through the air. I then went around bumping every single one I saw. I wish I had my capture card hooked up.

I recommend trying it if you're as easily amused as I am. Just get up to a decent speed and bump them. You can get them over the tire walls if you time it right and get lucky lol.

shandy706

This game is a lot of fun, but the issue with the AI being unbeatable is making me want to tear my hair out. It's almost impossible to get a first place. I just had a race where the first place the AI lap time would have been in the top 40 in the world, and I was playing on average. This needs to be patched.

I can honestly say I've not seen anything this bad.

I've got 2nd a few times, but almost always still end up in first.

Hopefully they can pinpoint the problem

Dubz

I can honestly say I've not seen anything this bad.

I've got 2nd a few times, but almost always still end up in first.

Hopefully they can pinpoint the problem
I've also had it where I totally dominate and win by 5-10 seconds. At least the revs admit there's a problem. Hopefully a patch will be incoming shortly.

Klocker

Above average here and can now pretty much catch and pass first place 3/5 times. But I'm destroying rest of field.

Will probably try highly skilled but concerned I'll never catch them.

Not bothering me too much as it's still fun. Hope it's sorted soon

Edit.. Haha no sooner said and then I have to sweat out a 9th place in my next race

Mascot

which forza had the dynamic AI ? was that 4 or 3? I don't know.

the drivatar system seems to be no better the. telling the AI set breaking points like in the early forza games even on this next generation hardware.

'Adaptive AI' was in FM4 I think. It sounded like the best thing ever when it was heavily promoted prior to launch but just turned out to be a pile of steaming PR bullshit. It simply never worked. Wasn't it tied into World Tour Mode, too? I remember having to abandon WTM because I could never get a good competitive race. It was a shame because I really liked the WTM format of randomly getting flown around the world to compete in different races instead of just ticking boxes in a grid. And then when I had that grid 99% ticked the game decided to reset my save back to around 20% full. So I did them again, only for the same thing to happen. Never did get the completion achievement. Thanks for that, FM4. Good times.

danowat

Banned
I don't think the AI is bad per say, it's just horribly unbalanced, even when comparing the same race with the same opponents.

I guess this is the result of the emergent AI, and if I am honest, I think that I'd probably prefer traditionally programmed AI.

'Adaptive AI' was in FM4 I think. It sounded like the best thing ever when it was heavily promoted prior to launch but just turned out to be a pile of steaming PR bullshit. It simply never worked. Wasn't it tied into World Tour Mode, too? I remember having to abandon WTM because I could never get a good competitive race. It was a shame because I really liked the WTM format of randomly getting flown around the world to compete in different races instead of just ticking boxes in a grid. And then when I had that grid 99% ticked the game decided to reset my save back to around 20% full. So I did them again, only for the same thing to happen. Never did get the completion achievement. Thanks for that, FM4. Good times.

I remember not finishing 3 or 4 due to the single player being reset to a low % after making it about 60% through, so annoying because it was never fixed and forgotten to make the sequel...

Ebolarama

Banned
Totally off topic, but I wonder why Forza games never replicate car interiors with the holographic HUDs as found in the newer BMW, Audi, Mercedes Benz, Corvette etc. models. Nor do they have any rearview cameras or complex digital dashboards (that I have seen). It's a minor thing that doesn't bother me, but seems to be missing.

Totally off topic, but I wonder why Forza games never replicate car interiors with the holographic HUDs as found in the newer BMW, Audi, Mercedes Benz, Corvette etc. models. Nor do they have any rearview cameras or complex digital dashboards (that I have seen). It's a minor thing that doesn't bother me, but seems to be missing.

They have digital dashboards (La Ferrari for example, but you can't play around with it) and rear-view cameras (458 GTE for example).
But no HUDS, that's right. Maybe T10 fears that people would want to turn it off and then they would need a button for that??
GT6 has windshield HUDs, sorry, I had to say it
Nah... can't be fear, because they sure didn't fear backlash for the horrible FOV in some cars that makes the windshield seem like a slit diaphragm with you and your ape'ish long arms on the tiny steering wheel sitting infront of it)

For all its shortcomings, I think the AI in Forza is better than the AI in any racing game I've ever played. I personally wouldn't prefer traditional AI.

New Forza rewards now available.

Thanks. I think I liked it better when it was weekly. Edit: meant monthly

I'm wondering if the first patch will come with the first car
pack in October?

Seems reasonable since there's usually an update with each car pack.

Ebolarama

Banned
They have digital dashboards (La Ferrari for example, but you can't play around with it) and rear-view cameras (458 GTE for example).
But no HUDS, that's right. Maybe T10 fears that people would want to turn it off and then they would need a button for that??
GT6 has windshield HUDs, sorry, I had to say it
Nah... can't be fear, because they sure didn't fear backlash for the horrible FOV in some cars that makes the windshield seem like a slit diaphragm with you and your ape'ish long arms on the tiny steering wheel sitting infront of it)

That could be an accurate assumption. I haven't driven the 458 GTE yet. And there are some digital dashes, true, but the Laferrari is a perfect example of what I mean. If you have Driveclub, the dash is entirely digital whereas the one used in Forza has that odd yellow tachometer. It could be that they are different models, or it could be that Driveclub has more details than even the amazing work done in FM6. It's a weird thing to notice but I drive with cockpit view a lot and I enjoy all the little details of the car interiors.

psychotron

truth

It's just so off-putting to know you're racing very well and the lead car just decides to hit the fucking nitrous and take off. I did a race five times last night because I could not catch the lead car. I ended up having to gun it and smash into everyone during the first turn just to wrestle my way into first. I drove normally after that and was in the lead the whole time.

danowat

Banned
That could be an accurate assumption. I haven't driven the 458 GTE yet. And there are some digital dashes, true, but the Laferrari is a perfect example of what I mean. If you have Driveclub, the dash is entirely digital whereas the one used in Forza has that odd yellow tachometer. It could be that they are different models, or it could be that Driveclub has more details than even the amazing work done in FM6. It's a weird thing to notice but I drive with cockpit view a lot and I enjoy all the little details of the car interiors.

It's another historical thing, every forza that has had cockpit view has had similar issues, and I wonder if some of it is down to the outsourcing of car modelling, and a lack of QA when pulling in these assets from external sources, and each external source working to a different standard.

If you have Driveclub, the dash is entirely digital whereas the one used in Forza has that odd yellow tachometer.

No, the dash of the La Ferrari is entirely digital in Forza too, it's just set to show the analog rev counter (and I'm happy about that). But I agree that in Driveclub it's clearer that's it's LCD technology (and not just from the mode it's set to).

Edit:
[...] and a lack of QA when pulling in these assets from external sources, and each external source working to a different standard.
I think for the La Ferrari Phil Spencer went to Maranello and they got actual exhaust sounds from the car (they were in FM5, not in FH2 and FM6, I posted a video comparison in the pre-release thread)
https://youtu.be/8M9iQhtA4Xc

I know that Forza 6 still has some silly looking or inaccurate cockpit animations, but I forget how far we've come since the first few cockpits.

Look at the way the driver holds most LMP steering wheels in FM4, it's like he's only holding it with his finger and thumb, lol.

The picture looks like shit because it's brightened, the awful banding isn't normally there.

Same car and track in FM6:

Ebolarama

Banned
I know that Forza 6 still has some silly looking or inaccurate cockpit animations, but I forget how far we've come since the first few cockpits.

Look at the way the driver holds most LMP steering wheels in FM4, it's like he's only holding it with his finger and thumb, lol.

The picture looks like shit because it's brightened, the awful banding isn't normally there.

Hahaha, I remember that car from FM4. It looks like you're driving inside a German bunker. FM3 was barebones, but at least it was the beginning of cockpit view for the FM series.

I didn't know the digital dash settings could be changed in the Laferrari IRL. It would be a cool and useless feature if you could change those displays yourself in game. Also: adjustable wipers, lights toggle and if applicable DRS/deployable spoilers toggle.

He's got specs of his Miata in the notes of the video... are you gonna try beat his time?

I tried to go under 7 minutes in an Aventador build that had the specs of of the Aventador SV that went under 7 minutes on the Nordschleife a few months ago. Couldn't get even close. My best was 7:18.

All the real life Nordschleife laptimes in stock supercars (even if you put better tyres on it, lower it, put sick camber on it) are pretty much unattainable in Forza. Maybe I just suck at it, but looking at the lines from onboard Nordschleife laps, I shouldn't be that far off.

Devildoll

Holy shit, a top 40 time from an average drivatar?

Seems like you guys have much severer case of mad crazy drivatars than i do.
Unlike most people, i very seldome get hit by my drivatars, even though i haven't limited the aggression. ( that said, ive gotten into 609 collisions in a total of 170 races )

Just like op_ivy i ran most of FM5 at unbeatable, and then turned it down to pro in FM6.

I've also got those 1-3 drivatars that occationally shoot ahead of the pack, but with the right car, i always manage to get in first place.
An average skill drivatar that gets a top 40 time seems like a whole other level of madness.

Playing more today i'm feeling that you can beat the PI system by adding the forza wings to your car, the game most of the time reduces your rating but since the car gains huge benefits while turning with the adjustable wings you can cream most of the hard AI in the turns. It's the same with wider tires the PI usually goes down but your grip in many areas is improved enough to get a benefit.

I say that like it was never a problem in forza before now, I think every forza has been like this.

The forza 3 crab hands were so weird to look at while racing, it's like the driver was fighting the feedback of the wheel with just his thumb grip.

My only beef with 6's hand animations is that the driver will still stretch his fingers out at the poorest of times, sometimes it looks like the driver is letting go of the wheel mid-turn at 100+ mph which in reality would have caused a crash or something.

Top Bottom