• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 6 |OT| Forza turns 10

danowat

Banned
I'm getting more frustrated with this game as time goes on. The career mode leaves so much to be desired when compared to 3 and 4. Having mixed cars in free play mode and forced upgrades in career are really discouraging. I wish you had control over these things. The driving, cars and tracks are better than ever....but man there's some really discouraging design decisions. I've been going back to FH2 lately instead.

The fact that I can't set up a race with, say, just global touring cars, outside of career really frustrates me.

Anyone here actually run TC and STM off with a controller?

I find it nearly impossible to run especially with the higher power cars.

I use a controller and normally have TCS off, but I'll often use it on the F1 cars.

The fact that I can't set up a race with, say, just global touring cars, outside of career really frustrates me.

Yeah. T10 should definitely add this to Free Play since it doesn't look like it'll be possible with mp.

Noobcraft

I think we're still limited to 5 Drivatars per XB1.
I think you're right. You can also limit the car type to "911" which (I think) is a placeholder for the Porsche pack when that launches.

You're got to be kidding me. I don't follow Forza threads, but I had never heard of this before. How can the AI not be aware of that tire wall?
It's not surprising. The term "AI" implies intelligence, which I've never actually witnessed in any game lol. I do like that outside of hedge cases, the AI in Forza acts very humanlike (to a fault even).

WgxYlNU.gif

Yeah. T10 should definitely add this to Free Play since it doesn't look like it'll be possible with mp.

Free Play looses a lot of its appeal due to the fact that you cannot set grids of just race cars without having road cars in the mix too, or vice versa.

What I wouldn't give to have races in GT cars without having to worry about about Zondas or Koenigseggs up my ass on the straights. Not having the option of multiple player buckets, i.e. prototypes and GTs, makes racing LMPs outside of the showcase events a non-starter for me.

For all of the strides FM6 has made, it's disappointing to see it still lagging behind FM4 in basic functionality, (not having a toggle for stock opponents in the career is another example). Fingers crossed that Free Play gets some more grid selection parameters in the future. There was a forum post on FM.net a while back from one of the designers suggesting that Turn 10 was aware of these issues and possibly working towards a fix. Here's hoping!

Klocker

Omg... Geezus. Was cruising along at Above average for my career enjoying a reasonable challenge and all of a sudden in middle of exotic gt on Bathurst. Fucking 10 times it took me to beat it. dropped to Average and lost again. Had to drop the AI to inexperienced. Seriously had to be an AI glitch.. They were driving out of their minds and faster than should have been possible. I had to race my ass off Just to squeak by in 3rd. In inexperienced So anger inducing.it was ridiculous .

Oh yea. They were ramming my left and right with aggression turned off

wow
after this frustrating as hell debacle last night, I restarted the game and and my wheel and controller... moved the AI up to Highly skilled and proceeded to get 1st at Sonoma and Watkins Glenn in Exotic gt.

so don't know if it was some fabricated challenge the game threw in to slow down progress, a glitch in AI or what but that was weird. I think drivatars are having issues sometimes with what intelligence/ability level drive on.

it was superhuman last night on an easy difficulty setting

agree with all of the above that fee play needs division grids as an option

ridiculous that it's not in there

terrible

Banned
I'm getting more frustrated with this game as time goes on. The career mode leaves so much to be desired when compared to 3 and 4. Having mixed cars in free play mode and forced upgrades in career are really discouraging. I wish you had control over these things. The driving, cars and tracks are better than ever....but man there's some really discouraging design decisions. I've been going back to FH2 lately instead.

We should have full control over what cars the AI use in free play. I don't get why we're so limited.

terrible

Banned
wow
after this frustrating as hell debacle last night, I restarted the game and and my wheel and controller... moved the AI up to Highly skilled and proceeded to get 1st at Sonoma and Watkins Glenn in Exotic gt.

so don't know if it was some fabricated challenge the game threw in to slow down progress, a glitch in AI or what but that was weird. I think drivatars are having issues sometimes with what intelligence/ability level drive on.

it was superhuman last night on an easy difficulty setting

agree with all of the above that fee play needs division grids as an option

ridiculous that it's not in there

I had to redo a campaign race on Bathurst about 10 times before I gave in and put the AI down a couple notches too. I was using the 2014 C7.R racing 'vette. The top three AI were just brutally difficult and I kept finishing in 4th.

edit: should've edited this into my previous post instead of double posting, oops

Klocker

I had to redo a campaign race on Bathurst about 10 times before I gave in and put the AI down a couple notches too. I was using the 2014 C7.R racing 'vette. The top three AI were just brutally difficult and I kept finishing in 4th.

edit: should've edited this into my previous post instead of double posting, oops

interesting,,, is Bathurst just that hard?

i don't remember having too much trouble with it in free play runs I have done?
that's why it seems AI was off in the career run

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

I use a controller and just use TCS. I used to use both, but then got used to not using STM. But yeah, I'm in the same boat, the higher powered cars just cause me to slip way too much.

dedhead54

I have logged 20 hours in the game as of today and hours 2-20 have all been with no TC and STM. About 8 hours in I bumped the Drivatar difficulty up to above average because I was winning almost all the races. I have had to abuse the rewind button on some tracks because I've lost traction and flown off the track.

Once I got to the Professional Racing series I decided to go back to run some of the earlier series', because I felt like I needed more practice with lower powered cars. Honestly, it has been pretty frustrating and I don't think I have made any progress in throttle/braking finesse, so I continue to struggle on some tracks with tight turns. I'm thinking about turning TC back on so I can just enjoy driving and not get so frustrated that I want to turn the game off. (This also is caused by the shit driving of the Drivatars at the beginning of the race/at the first turn, and how they sometimes because super-powered on the last lap and the 2nd place guy will zoom by me and take the win)

Hawk269

New York in the rain pls.
Also Fujimi Kaido.

This so much...

I loaded up Forza 4 yesterday night for the hell of it and I am SHOCKED at how many courses that were in F4 and did not appear in F5 or F6. They had some great courses in F4 that would be fantastic in F6. Maple Valley in the Rain would be a lot of fun.

drotahorror

Sorry if this is common knowledge but have they said anything about adding new tracks (free?) and/or adding weather to existing tracks that don't have it?

Noobcraft

Anyone down for a Gaf custom lobby/races tonight? I'm thinking the Gurkha for 25 laps around Daytona with simulation damage.

May also run 50 laps around Rio Mountain Circuit in E23.

Bry0

I use a controller and just use TCS. I used to use both, but then got used to not using STM. But yeah, I'm in the same boat, the higher powered cars just cause me to slip way too much.
I suggest going into the controller settings and changing the deadzones on the thumb stick and triggers to min 0 and max 100. Gives you better control. I have tcs, stm, and abs off. Just need a very gentle touch with the high powered cars.

Devildoll

Omg... Geezus. Was cruising along at Above average for my career enjoying a reasonable challenge and all of a sudden in middle of exotic gt on Bathurst. Fucking 10 times it took me to beat it. dropped to Average and lost again. Had to drop the AI to inexperienced. Seriously had to be an AI glitch.. They were driving out of their minds and faster than should have been possible. I had to race my ass off Just to squeak by in 3rd. In inexperienced So anger inducing.it was ridiculous .

Oh yea. They were ramming my left and right with aggression turned off

Why? If it's a bug or an anomaly of the approach, then I'd agree with you.

But I don't believe that's the case. You can see a difference between Highly Skilled and Professional Drivatars.
The evolution in just a month on tracks like Long Beach and Bathurst as been pretty remarkable in my opinion.

The thing about bathhurst, as i've learned myself, is that you can shave several seconds regular time by manning up and just going all in on the corners in the middle, you might think that you're going to crash, but you aren't.
if you are driving like most tracks, you're taking that middle section way way WAY too gentle.

And that is at least part of why the ai is beating you.

I just did the grand touring event there in a 599, and the ai whooped me, i ended up in 3rd, driving like a second faster than me at best, which never ever happens on any other track.
so i entered practice mode, and i managed to go two seconds faster than them, partially because i went all in on the mid section, and partially because i didn't have to overtake any of the slow ass ai's.
which is part of the problem of bathurst, its hard to overtake those first ai's, since the tack is so crazy.

Klocker

if I get one more $12000 mod pack in my high level spins, I'm gonnna lose it.

give me a damned reward for my hard racing please, not this bullshit

Mascot

if I get one more $12000 mod pack in my high level spins, I'm gonnna lose it.

give me a damned reward for my hard racing please, not this bullshit

I thought the economy wasn't a problem in FM6? if anything, I've seen more complaints that the game gives you too much money, which can reduce the grind that people oddly seem to somehow like.

Klocker

I thought the economy wasn't a problem in FM6? if anything, I've seen more complaints that the game gives you too much money, which can reduce the grind that people oddly seem to somehow like.
True with FR and VIP. I have parts money and have all the cars I need and about ten shy of the cars I want...

But it just pisses me off to get those paltry rewards on a spin.

I raced hard man (those damned puddles) give me a prize! :)

danowat

Banned

Money isn't an issue in FM, never really has been, however, the spins give you that RNG/Slot machine buzz, there is something in our brains that likes these kind of things.

Them giving you, at say level 100, 10000Cr takes the edge off that buzz, I wish there was some other incentive they could give you, heck,I even enjoy getting Mod packs, and /or cars are better than the paltry credit awards you get at "end game".

Personally, I think there needs to be, in racing games in general, a huge rethink about the path of progression, and really needs to be something more meaningful than the, ultimately empty, grind for credits.

Mascot

Money isn't an issue in FM, never really has been, however, the spins give you that RNG/Slot machine buzz, there is something in our brains that likes these kind of things.

Them giving you, at say level 100, 10000Cr takes the edge off that buzz, I wish there was some other incentive they could give you, heck,I even enjoy getting Mod packs, and /or cars are better than the paltry credit awards you get at "end game".

Personally, I think there needs to be, in racing games in general, a huge rethink about the path of progression, and really needs to be something more meaningful than the, ultimately empty, grind for credits.

I always hated the 'grind' in FM and GT but was always oddly pissed off when I hit the level cap.

They could take the Sega GT approach where you pay for repairs etc to make them more meaningful?

OTOH, you already have reductiona due to rewind to avoid damage etc.

danowat

Banned
I always hated the 'grind' in FM and GT but was always oddly pissed off when I hit the level cap.

I sometimes wonder if "we" are 0.01% of the market for games like this, and the other 99.99% of people are more than happy with the way things are

They could take the Sega GT approach where you pay for repairs etc to make them more meaningful?

Was it FM2 or 3 that had that?, they removed it, for whatever reason.

Free Play looses a lot of its appeal due to the fact that you cannot set grids of just race cars without having road cars in the mix too, or vice versa.

There is an already pretty long thread requesting this feature on the Forzamotorsport.net forums. A few pages in a mod more or less said "We've heard you, would you kindly shut up about it now".
So, maybe... if that thread got a little longer.... you know, ...I do remember games, where this tactic helped.

danowat

Banned
There is an already pretty long thread requesting this feature on the Forzamotorsport.net forums. A few pages in a mod more or less said "We've heard you, would you kindly shut up about it now".
So, maybe... if that thread got a little longer.... you know, ...I do remember games, where this tactic helped.

Wouldn't mind betting that most of the team are already on FM7, and as such, any substantial additions or improvements to the core of the game won't be forthcoming.

Wouldn't mind betting that most of the team are already on FM7, and as such, any substantial additions or improvements to the core of the game won't be forthcoming.
I don't know, they patched their whole economy and gave us 3 free tracks (with the Nordschleife it's more like 5 tracks actually) in FM5. They could have just used that as a bigger selling argument for FM6, but they didn't.
And probably all of the back-end code for that "configure your race/grid/playlist"-feature in free play could be reused in FM7. The effort would be front-end implementation into FM6.

danowat

Banned
I don't know, they patched their whole economy and gave us 3 free tracks (with the Nordschleife it's more like 5 tracks actually) in FM5. They could have just used that as a bigger selling argument for FM6, but they didn't.
And probably all of the back-end code for that "configure your race/grid/playlist"-feature in free play could be reused in FM7. The effort would be front-end implementation into FM6.

I wonder if those tracks were originally supposed to be in 5 anyway, and the push for the release date, which was set in stone because of the XBO launch, meant they weren't finished on time.

Don't get me wrong, I hope I am wrong, but I'd be surprised..........

I wonder if those tracks were originally supposed to be in 5 anyway, and the push for the release date, which was set in stone because of the XBO launch, meant they weren't finished on time.

Don't get me wrong, I hope I am wrong, but I'd be surprised..........
I think you're right and I'd be surprised too, but it's worth my 1 minute to drop a "We really need that feature, I'd come back to this game every day, if that feature was in, pretty please"-line in that thread.

After you share them from FM6, they're in your gallery on FM.net. Not sure if you can hotlink them. I usually transfer them to imgur and then post them here.

GHG

Gold Member
I sometimes wonder if "we" are 0.01% of the market for games like this, and the other 99.99% of people are more than happy with the way things are

It was forza 2 where you had to spend credits to repair your car after each race. Really loved that system and the fact that there were actual race championships and the auction house... Ah those were the days...

Now we have shitty AI, forced top 3 finishes and get reminded that there is a rewind function any time we state these flaws.

danowat

Banned

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

I know 2-4 had it, I can't remember if 1 did. So I was kinda shocked they took it out in 5. Though they did penalize you for using rewinds in 5 so it balanced out a little bit.

Yes, though I will sometimes turn TCS on for race cars.

I've seen this quite a bit in Forza 6. It actually happened in Forza 5 as well on more technical tracks like the Nurburgring, but the more aggressive placement of tire walls makes it happen more frequently.

Yup, foretelling our autonomous vehicle future. 1:09 was certainly unexpected. lol

Autonomous vehicles will hopefully use more sensors and different algorithms. The pathfinding in racing games is typically much more rudimentary and while they've apparently taught the drivatars about seeing other cars, they forgot that tire walls are people too.

I think the AI of 5/6 is much improved over 2/3/4 and that mid-corner braking is much less prevalent now than it has been.

Gestault

I've played everything since Forza 4 without TCS or STM on controller, though higher-powered cars can be an exception. The feedback from the rumble triggers is totally your "eyes."

When I'm tuning, I sometimes throw on STM without TCS if a car feels a little touchy. So long as the real-world car has the feature, I've gotten over my irrational guilt of using the assists.

It was forza 2 where you had to spend credits to repair your car after each race. Really loved that system and the fact that there were actual race championships and the auction house... Ah those were the days...

I miss that and the regional manufacturing rivalry structure to career mode. Choosing a home region for perks on those vehicles, and even things as simple as achievements for collecting all of a region's cars is something I hope makes a return.

Don_Ente

Neo Member
Autonomous vehicles will hopefully use more sensors and different algorithms. The pathfinding in racing games is typically much more rudimentary and while they've apparently taught the drivatars about seeing other cars, they forgot that tire walls are people too.

I think the AI of 5/6 is much improved over 2/3/4 and that mid-corner braking is much less prevalent now than it has been.
Turn 10 took real-world tracks and added fake tire-walls - the Drivatars must know (from experience, maybe?) the tire-wall does not exist in the real world, and so keep trying to drive through it.

They are - apparently - *much* more intelligent than folks believe.

Everything off for me (No ABS, STM, TCS, Manual with Clutch, controller deadzones to zero) up until probably some RWD S-class and most non-AWD R-class. I dont even bother in X classes.

Like he said, use the trigger rumble, remember dont just squeeze them all the way down. be light on the triggers and the cars will reward you with the grip you need.

zorbsie

I'm struggling with the autocross showcase events. I think I'm going to bump it down to super easy and blow through them. I keep wanting to go fast like I'm in a race but I end up missing gates or crashing right into them. Happily there are only 5 of them.

Can't stress how much I love that endurance races are back. They can be so intense. With the right mods the payouts can be very lucrative too.

Fox Mulder

Just did the 1hr endurance race at Bathurst. I've hated the track, but it's great when the grid spreads out and you can get a flow going. Hard to do that in 3 lap races.

Top Bottom