• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 6 |OT| Forza turns 10

I've been so close to impulse buying this so many times, but the Canadian price of even the standard version of the game is making it so easy to reconsider.

Fuck, I love the Legends of Grand Prix cars. They want to slide so much and it is so much fun. They are so goddam stable while sliding and I am just drifting them through corners for shits and giggles all race.

So good.

witness

I've completely fallen in love with the Indy cars after I won one. Now all I want to do is indy car races in free play mode. At least you can have a proper entire field of those cars. It's so incredible and intense to drive them.

Klocker

does anyone know a fix for this issue?

I disabled drivatar liveries so I could see the stock race car liveries when I race.
now everytime I load a race it loads with blank painted cars. I then need to turn on drivatar liveries and then turn them off again before each race to load the stock liveries. Also, the drivatar liveries never actually load again when I turn them on either

thx

edit... apparently only an issue in career mode

wow
after this frustrating as hell debacle last night, I restarted the game and and my wheel and controller... moved the AI up to Highly skilled and proceeded to get 1st at Sonoma and Watkins Glenn in Exotic gt.

so don't know if it was some fabricated challenge the game threw in to slow down progress, a glitch in AI or what but that was weird. I think drivatars are having issues sometimes with what intelligence/ability level drive on.

it was superhuman last night on an easy difficulty setting

I finished 4th in an early career race on average difficulty (not the best at sim racers), by the time I had worked my way through the middle of the pack the top 3 racers were so far ahead I had no chance of catching up. Before restarting the race I bumped the difficulty UP to above average just to see how much harder it would be. I finished in first place, by quite a large margin, even though I didn't feel like I ran a better race than the previous one. I've left it on above average ever since and for some reason it actually seems easier than average.

Klocker

I finished 4th in an early career race on average difficulty (not the best at sim racers), by the time I had worked my way through the middle of the pack the top 3 racers were so far ahead I had no chance of catching up. Before restarting the race I bumped the difficulty UP to above average just to see how much harder it would be. I finished in first place, by quite a large margin, even though I didn't feel like I ran a better race than the previous one. I've left it on above average ever since and for some reason it actually seems easier than average.

Yea something is up with the difficulty settings

It's really hit or miss

Grassy

Just did the 1hr endurance race at Bathurst. I've hated the track, but it's great when the grid spreads out and you can get a flow going. Hard to do that in 3 lap races.

That's my biggest issue with the races on that track too, the track isn't really designed for 3-4 lap races. If you look at the event schedule for the race weekend at Bathurst coming up, the minimum laps for any category is 7, or roughly 20 minutes - http://www.v8supercars.com.au/event...p-auto-bathurst-1000/what-s-on/track-schedule
I'd be a lot more willing to bump up the difficulty level in Forza 6 if I didn't have to blast through the pack in a few laps without destroying my car or racing dirty.

Just did the 1hr endurance race at Bathurst. I've hated the track, but it's great when the grid spreads out and you can get a flow going. Hard to do that in 3 lap races.

Yeah, those tight areas on the top of the hill on Bathurst are really tricky with a load of cars surrounding you. They really are great when you are on your own though!

danowat

Banned
Absolutely. Is it just me, or does Forza always feel like it's nearly the greatest driving game ever?

They aren't ambitious enough, they always fall short, they need to shoot for the moon.

It's the difference between them producing a safe product that pleases the bean counters and suits, rather than really running with it and risking not producing a very polished product.

Lego Boss

They aren't ambitious enough, they always fall short, they need to shoot for the moon.

It's the difference between them producing a safe product that pleases the bean counters and suits, rather than really running with it and risking not producing a very polished product.

It's a delicate balance. Personally I would rather have Forza 6 than the jankfest that was PCars on XBONE.

Technically brilliant. Totally unplayable.

Mascot

Absolutely. Is it just me, or does Forza always feel like it's nearly the greatest driving game ever?

They could add a whole heap of OPTIONAL stuff with relatively little effort that would lend some credence to the Motorsport moniker and make racing fans a lot happier. I've pretty much given up on them ever doing this though, and thankfully there are now a lot more choices out there that can scratch that itch. I don't think FM will ever try to be a serious sim or even add concessions to the genre. It's a fun game, that's for sure. Just a bit cuddly and family-friendly for my own personal tastes.

danowat

Banned
It's a delicate balance. Personally I would rather have Forza 6 than the jankfest that was PCars on XBONE.

Technically brilliant. Totally unplayable.

I don't know how PCars was on the XBO, but I am impressed with it on the PS4, and was impressed from day one, sure, it's nowhere near as polished as FM, but boy oh boy is it ambitious.

Mascot

I don't know how PCars was on the XBO, but I am impressed with it on the PS4, and was impressed from day one, sure, it's nowhere near as polished as FM, but boy oh boy is it ambitious.

Yep, on PS4 with a FFB wheel it's an absolute blast. I race in a private lobby most nights and it's close, competitive, thrilling racing, looks amazing and drives like a dream. Anyway, Forza thread, not a pissing contest.

Klocker

I've played Forza 6 more in the past couple weeks than not only any Forza game before it in the first month but more by far than the total time I have spent on pcars since it released in June.

Even with the lack of options and errors, omissions etc.

I am loving this game. It is polished, fun, the career is engaging as are showdowns and it drives, races so damned well.

danowat

Banned
Yep, on PS4 with a FFB wheel it's an absolute blast. I race in a private lobby most nights and it's close, competitive, thrilling racing, looks amazing and drives like a dream. Anyway, Forza thread, not a pissing contest.

Yeah, sorry.

Back on topic.

Currently doing another pass through the career, using different classes, and on the one hand, I love the increased grip of supercars, I am currently using an S Class McLaren 650S, and it sticks to the road very well, even with stock cars, but slick tyres are still off, while the 650S, on road tyres is very grippy, the BMW eBay 1 series global touring car has way, way less grip, despite being a race car, on slicks.

willbsn13

I see this comment around online a bit - that Forza isn't ambitious enough. It's a tough question because FM6/FH2 especially feel as if they are close to being something really special, but aren't quite there just yet.

The problem is, can they really afford to be ambitious when they're on a strict 2 year dev cycle? If they launch a buggy mess of a game and have to divert x amount of resources to fixing the game, how will that impact there making of next iteration of FM? How would a buggy release affect the mindshare of a franchise that has a track record of having relatively bug-free games that are exceptionally solid performance wise? I don't think T10 are willing to take that risk - plus why would they? They put out a solid product every year (including Horizon) and they obviously do well otherwise they wouldn't be around still.

I reckon the Forza franchise being on a three year dev cycle, with Horizon one year, Motorsport the next and Forza PGR/Rally/Watersport/whatever comes out in that 3rd year. That way, T10 can be a little more ambitious and pack more into the next iteration, as can Playground.

danowat

Banned
I reckon the Forza franchise being on a three year dev cycle, with Horizon one year, Motorsport the next and Forza PGR/Rally/Watersport/whatever comes out in that 3rd year. That way, T10 can be a little more ambitious and pack more into the next iteration, as can Playground.

Would certainly benefit from a longer development cycle, but who would develop Rally/Watersport?, can't see them diverting development time from either FoMo or FoHo to develop another title.

Lego Boss

I see this comment around online a bit - that Forza isn't ambitious enough. It's a tough question because FM6/FH2 especially feel as if they are close to being something really special, but aren't quite there just yet.

The problem is, can they really afford to be ambitious when they're on a strict 2 year dev cycle? If they launch a buggy mess of a game and have to divert x amount of resources to fixing the game, how will that impact there making of next iteration of FM? How would a buggy release affect the mindshare of a franchise that has a track record of having relatively bug-free games that are exceptionally solid performance wise? I don't think T10 are willing to take that risk - plus why would they? They put out a solid product every year (including Horizon) and they obviously do well otherwise they wouldn't be around still.

Three years would be spot on. A rally variant seems the natural way forwards UNLESS Turn 10/MS are going for the F1 licence when it's up for renewal?

Personally I hope they don't get it as CM haven't got a great deal left now and they're just holding on, but that three year cylce would definitely help Forza develop as a series, paricularly the tech that is in FH2 (dynamic day/night/weather), which would be amaze if it's in FM.

We can dream . . .

i'm away from home right now but have forza 6 with me, after playing a lot of the game over the weekend and monday I can safely say that the AI blows dick and is hard for all the wrong reasons.

They brake early in corners, they ride the brake down straights, they can always power out of wet corners like it's dry and I swear sometimes the leader is two tiers above what I pick and is driven by superman.

I race on PRO or something like that, the one which pays out 40% and I also race without any assists apart from auto clutch, I win quite often just because I can pass 1-2 cars in a corner without breaking a sweat. I should note that I manually tune all my cars and never race them stock so they usually have racing car grip and gear ratios.

Forza 6 is a great game but man the AI is terrible.

Replays on some tracks have terrible cameras and flyby shots everywhere they are not worth watching.

i'm away from home right now but have forza 6 with me, after playing a lot of the game over the weekend and monday I can safely say that the AI blows dick and is hard for all the wrong reasons.

They brake early in corners, they ride the brake down straights, they can always power out of wet corners like it's dry and I swear sometimes the leader is two tiers above what I pick and is driven by superman.

I race on PRO or something like that, the one which pays out 40% and I also race without any assists apart from auto clutch, I win quite often just because I can pass 1-2 cars in a corner without breaking a sweat. I should note that I manually tune all my cars and never race them stock so they usually have racing car grip and gear ratios.

Replays on some tracks have terrible cameras and flyby shots everywhere they are not worth watching.

The bunching up/braking too hard in corners is really frustrating, agreed.

Fox Mulder

bad drivatars are created by people avoiding other bad drivatars.

bad drivatars are created by people avoiding other bad drivatars.

my xbox is currently offline so half of the AI field has a forza logo and no name so they are preset AI, they still brake too early and while in corners, they side swipe and do all kinds of shitty things, the only thing they do well is exit corners without wheelspin and zoom down straights.

I have only seen one AI car wheelspin out of a corner ONCE in 3 days was an X class car in the wet and that was only because it touched a puddle.

negitoro7

Those of you racing with wheels (particularly the G920): What do you have your degrees of rotation set as? Trying to figure out why I easily fishtail and spin out with TCS and Stability on in the dry.

Mobius 1

They could add a whole heap of OPTIONAL stuff with relatively little effort that would lend some credence to the Motorsport moniker and make racing fans a lot happier. I've pretty much given up on them ever doing this though, and thankfully there are now a lot more choices out there that can scratch that itch. I don't think FM will ever try to be a serious sim or even add concessions to the genre. It's a fun game, that's for sure. Just a bit cuddly and family-friendly for my own personal tastes.

Well stated. I had hopes that the Horizon spinoff would free them up to push FM's motorsport aspect a little further.

Grassy

The thing these endurance races really need are wet/dry transitions and day/night transitions. God that would be amazing.

Did someone mention Bathurst?

The replay from 1st place in the Forza 6 Bathurst Rivals event that did a ~2:06 is nuts as well. My best clean lap in Forza 6 is ~2:17 in the V8 Supercars....it's such a hard track to drive really fast on without scraping a bloody wall.

Mascot

Well stated. I had hopes that the Horizon spinoff would free them up to push FM's motorsport aspect a little further.

Yeah, me too. FH seemed like the perfect outlet for all the zany games and the parallel universe stuff like Indycars racing against GT classes etc. I guess Turn 10 know their market and the game makes big bank, so where's the incentive to deviate?

There a lot more street-illegal race cars in FM6 than in FM5, maybe they are testing the waters, checking the numbers while also peeking on PCARS and AC numbers.

Currently doing another pass through the career, using different classes, and on the one hand, I love the increased grip of supercars, I am currently using an S Class McLaren 650S, and it sticks to the road very well, even with stock cars, but slick tyres are still off, while the 650S, on road tyres is very grippy, the BMW eBay 1 series global touring car has way, way less grip, despite being a race car, on slicks.

I used the Ferrari F12 Berlinetta the other day and it had monstrous grip off the line. I thought, maybe they've overdone the effect tyre-width has compared to the effects of slicks and soft sport/race compound tyres, but now that you say that the 650S has so much grip too... that thing has relatively small tyres. Was it at low speeds too? Maybe the McLaren has an active aero / ground-effect advantage... at certain speeds it might (not an expert here) actually have more grip than a WTCC car set up for a relatively fast track.
Overall I still think the new tyre-model feels fantastic, just some things that are still off and it's probably really not an easy thing to nail the handling of modern race-slicks and 60 year old road tyres with the same tyre-model.

For me the biggest gripe with the handling so far is the oversteer in hairpin corners. In cars with almost perfect weight-distribution and the small amount of imperfection being mostly undone by different tyre widths, my rear shouldn't spin out when I'm applying almost no throttle. I'm not saying the car should be stuck to the road, but it almost never flies out in a neutral position... it's almost always the back that goes spinning.

danowat

Banned
that thing has relatively small tyres. Was it at low speeds too? Maybe the McLaren has an active aero / ground-effect advantage... at certain speeds it might (not an expert here) actually have more grip than a WTCC car set up for a relatively fast track.
Overall I still think the new tyre-model feels fantastic, just some things that are still off and it's probably really not an easy thing to nail the handling of modern race-slicks and 60 year old road tyres with the same tyre-model.

All round, it was monstrous in the rain too, where as the WTCC cars are like Bambi on ice.

Got a '14 Ford Fiesta ST with a custom livery as the first VIP gift. Was expecting a Ford, and I didn't own this one yet, so there's that.

Anyone knows of a classic muscle car that can be upgraded to really wide rear tires?

I'm trying to build a drag car, and the Nova I bought only goes up to ~275 rear tires, not nearly enough for a torquey take-off.

I'm trying to find something that can be upgraded closer to 350.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Anyone knows of a classic muscle car that can be upgraded to really wide rear tires?

I'm trying to build a drag car, and the Nova I bought only goes up to ~275 rear tires, not nearly enough for a torquey take-off.

I'm trying to find something that can be upgraded closer to 350.

Ford XB coupe can gets some pretty big fats under the back. Upto 345s I think.

Ford XB coupe can gets some pretty big fats under the back. Upto 345s I think.

Confirmed, 345s.

However I just noticed something weird.

If I test run my car on the drag strip, the timer starts right off the bat, and as soon as I end the 1/4 mile, it brings me back to the menu, without telling me my time.

You can't run a drag race in free play either.

Am I missing something or is there NO WAY to know your 1/4 mile time without going on multiplayer?

Noobcraft

Confirmed, 345s.

However I just noticed something weird.

If I test run my car on the drag strip, the timer starts right off the bat, and as soon as I end the 1/4 mile, it brings me back to the menu, without telling me my time.

You can't run a drag race in free play either.

Am I missing something or is there NO WAY to know your 1/4 mile time without going on multiplayer?
If you don't want to go in a public lobby, just go to Multiplayer -> Custom Lobby -> Game Options (set to drag race) and start the race. It's less than ideal but it's an option. You can drag race against drivatars too.

Hey has anyone thought of organising a ForzaGAF league??? That'd be hella awesome...

I thought that was what you and zorbs were doing?

EDIT: The Daytona ribbon that is part oval and part infield has really grown on me. The two major turns coming off the high-speed stretches are a lot of fun.

I have that U-shaped turn down pretty well now, but the speed and line of the transition from oval to infield is still giving me trouble.

As someone who has only played Forza Horizon 2, I'm pleasantly surprised that I've been playing on Above Average with braking assist turned to ABS only and wrecking the competition to a 1st place finish with little contest after the 1st lap. Excited to start messing with the settings to make the races a little more intense - any suggestions? Should I go towards tougher Drivatars first or try turning down the assists like the driving line and such?

Top Bottom