• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 6 |OT| Forza turns 10

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
They also never yield which annoys me the most. Most times they will hog the line although its not as bad as previous forzas and I have seen them try to avoid crashes once you're on the inside.

I never get that problem.

I've been 3 wide into corners with no contact.

Serious question time.

Do people not even know a kick option exists?

Mascot

For all its shortcomings, I think the AI in Forza is better than the AI in any racing game I've ever played. I personally wouldn't prefer traditional AI.

Even ignoring all the other janky behaviour for a moment, the simple fact that cars consistently brake mid-corner make's me think FM6's AI is some of the worst in current racing games. It just sucks the life out of races for me. It's bad enough on 'normal' bends but braking halfway up Eau Rouge is simply comical.

The whole way AI take corners in FM6 needs some serious tweaking.

GHG

Gold Member
Of all the defence forces, the one for Forza 5/6's AI is the one that confuses me the most.

Unless you prefer playing online against obnoxious people who don't understand racing lines and racing etiquette of course.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Even ignoring all the other janky behaviour for a moment, the simple fact that cars consistently brake mid-corner make's me think FM6's AI is some of the worst in current racing games. It just sucks the life out of races for me. It's bad enough on 'normal' bends but braking halfway up Eau Rouge is simply comical.

That's been an issue since FM1 really.

I remember trying endlessly to teach my FM1 drivatar to take turn 1 at sunset without braking. Couldn't do it :(

danowat

Banned
AI have assists on, it's very apparent by the way they can drive the Lotus E23 without lighting the tyres up in almost every gear!

Mascot

Of all the defence forces, the one for Forza 5/6's AI is the one that confuses me the most.

Unless you prefer playing online against obnoxious people who don't understand racing lines and racing etiquette of course.

Gotta hand it to them though, calling AI 'Drivatars' has been an excellent marketing ploy. It's a brilliant way to excuse crappy behaviour with the 'to err is human' mantra.

spuckthew

For all its shortcomings, I think the AI in Forza is better than the AI in any racing game I've ever played. I personally wouldn't prefer traditional AI.

I've only last week got back into sim-racing after picking up a TX (still don't have an Xbone or FM6 though), but Asseto Corsa's AI feels drastically better than I remember FM4's AI being. (I've been using AC's career mode to get the feel of using a wheel back sold my PW GT2 over a year ago and didn't touch a sim since.) The AI in AC just seem aware and race quite well - for AI anyway.

Gotta hand it to them though, calling AI 'Drivatars' has been an excellent marketing ploy. It's a brilliant way to excuse crappy behaviour with the 'to err is human' mantra.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what it is :D I've seen my own drivatar on my friends replays and digital me drives nothing like me, not even close lol

Klocker

Omg... Geezus. Was cruising along at Above average for my career enjoying a reasonable challenge and all of a sudden in middle of exotic gt on Bathurst. Fucking 10 times it took me to beat it. dropped to Average and lost again. Had to drop the AI to inexperienced. Seriously had to be an AI glitch.. They were driving out of their minds and faster than should have been possible. I had to race my ass off Just to squeak by in 3rd. In inexperienced So anger inducing.it was ridiculous .

Oh yea. They were ramming my left and right with aggression turned off

willbsn13

Man. Sounds like you guys are having some seriously weird AI issues that I haven't noticed as much, maybe because I'm playing more rivals and multiplayer than career

The AI in 6 is better than 5 I reckon, but the main problem it has is consistency (a side from the bug where it pulls a higher level drivatar and they run leaderboard times)

I feel like I've had some great races with the drivatars at Pro difficultly with Limit Aggression turned on, and the AI have been flat out through Eau Rouge, down the back straight at Bathurst and have even been relatively aware in terms of giving room on turns. But for every great race theres also been an average or a shitty one, where 1st place pulls miles ahead, the drivatars slow down through various high speed turns which they clearly can take flatout and I get rammed from a rash dive down the inside by xX_MlgQuickscoper69_Xx. I don't think FM6's AI is the worst in racing games, but it certainly isn't the best. Its just needs consistency above all else

Had an odd one here too
http://xboxclips.com/SatansReverence/bcc4f9b1-5fc4-4c54-a251-fc8c5b56061b

I think its something to do with bottoming out on curbs.

That one isn't odd. You have accelerated whilst on the curb and turned in, your back right wheel has little grip as it is on the curb and causes you to spin out. This is due to weight being shifted to the right side of the car so the back left wheel has reduced grip and the front tyres have more grip due to the surface thus creating a pivot point, because you have accelerated the right tyre has spun and momentum has driven the back around. I have that happen to me quite a lot in racing games when pushing laps, especially cars with loads of grip. The ones the other poster made were really odd as it was like clipping deep gravel.

The cars don't consistently brake mid-corner. Maybe it's because I'm on a higher difficulty (not the highest).

I've only last week got back into sim-racing after picking up a TX (still don't have an Xbone or FM6 though), but Asseto Corsa's AI feels drastically better than I remember FM4's AI being. (I've been using AC's career mode to get the feel of using a wheel back sold my PW GT2 over a year ago and didn't touch a sim since.) The AI in AC just seem aware and race quite well - for AI anyway.

The AI in Forza changed fundamentally from FM4 to FM5.

You may still prefer AC after trying FM5/6, but I don't think you can appreciate my opinion until you do.

Is Forza Hub not working right for anyone else? It doesn't seem to recognize that I own Forza 6 and that I've made progress on it. Anyone know a fix for this? I've tried re-downloading the app already.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
That one isn't odd, you have accelerated whilst on the curb and turned in, your back right wheel has little grip that is on the curb and causes you to spin out. I have that happen to me quite a lot in loads of racing games when trying to push laps, especially cars with loads of grip. The ones the other poster made were really odd as it was like clipping deep gravel.

Actually, I was starting to brake (blipping throttle for the down shift) with virtually zero steering lock and the rear wheels were straddling the curb, not on it.

*edit*

I love how the random crashes from FM5 are still present...

Actually, I was starting to brake (blipping throttle for the down shift) with virtually zero steering lock and the rear wheels were straddling the curb, not on it.

*edit*

I love how the random crashes from FM5 are still present...

You braked as you turned in which cause the weight to shift to the front and right as well as lock up (you can see it) and you slightly slipped you then accelerated (the clear acceleration noise, the vroom vroom down shifting without acceleration doesn't make that noise) which made you lose it. If you didn't accelerate you would have lost control but you would have saved it.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
You braked as you turned in which cause the weight to shift to the front and right as well as lock up and you slightly slipped you then accelerated (the clear acceleration noise, the vroom vroom) which made you lose it. If you didn't accelerate you would have lost control but you would have saved it.

No, I didn't start to turn in.

I was blipping the throttle with the clutch disengaged for the down shift.

I did end up saving it and continued on to win the race.

nib95

Banned
So yea, for whatever reason, in this game I race much better using bonnet cam than I do using cockpit, even though in most racers I use cockpit view. I don't know if it's because it places you too far back in the cockpit or what, but I can't get the same feeling of speed and placement.

I absolutely suck at rain racing. Was cruising in the demo at Above Average and then Highly Skilled, even lapped the entire grid on the Indy race, but when it comes to rain, I just can't quite get a handle on things lol. Anything more than remotely gradual braking results in me skidding endlessly. I feel like my braking distances are longer than the AI's, and I find that there's less grip overall in the rain than in most sim racers.

In any case, overall it feels really solid. I like the sense of weight and overall handling model, and the environments are well done. The lit up buildings in Dubai look beautiful, which reminds me, I really need to visit the track to watch a race at some point. Main negative about the visuals is that the vehicle shaders are a bit off. I don't know what it is, but I think it might be because colours pop too much, and the vehicles are not properly balanced in lighting with the rest of the environment. Stands out more in night races, but looks best in the rain.

I feel like the game is cleaner overall compared to Forza 5, which makes a big difference. Naturally it's not as clean as Forza Horizon 2, but it's still a really welcome improvement.

Oh and no HUD and no race music is the way to go. So much more immersive. If I didn't have a huge backlog, I'd have bought the game. Instead I'll pick it up later down the line.

Mascot

The cars don't consistently brake mid-corner.

They do it often enough such that closely following an AI around a bend at speed is a lottery where I find myself expecting to get brake tested at any second. It's not pleasant. Anyway, they shouldn't be doing it at all. Once is once too many.

I think FM AI has had a free pass for far too long because it was so much better than in GT, which let's face it, isn't hard. Its deficiencies are pretty glaring now as other titles have upped their game. Drivatars in their current format don't seem to be the answer.

Noobcraft

I absolutely suck at rain racing. Was cruising in the demo at Above Average and then Highly Skilled, even lapped the entire grid on the Indy race, but when it comes to rain, I just can't quite get a handle on things lol. Anything more than remotely gradual braking results in me skidding endlessly. I feel like my braking distances are longer than the AI's, and I find that there's less grip overall in the rain than in most sim racers.

You just need to roll with the puddles.
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Mr Noobcraft/video/10460174

Anyway, they shouldn't be doing it at all.

Why? If it's a bug or an anomaly of the approach, then I'd agree with you.

But I don't believe that's the case. You can see a difference between Highly Skilled and Professional Drivatars.

The evolution in just a month on tracks like Long Beach and Bathurst as been pretty remarkable in my opinion.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess

Stigs digital cousin.

Why? If it's a bug or an anomaly of the approach, then I'd agree with you.

But I don't believe that's the case. You can see a difference between Highly Skilled and Professional Drivatars.

The evolution in just a month on tracks like Long Beach and Bathurst as been pretty remarkable in my opinion.

It's happening on unbeatable A.I...

But you're dort of right, the way Drivatars learn may indeed fix the problem but it has been around since the dawn of the FM series.

nib95

Banned
You can lol. It's remarkably hard to make gifs on mobile. I've done it, but they never turn out right.

I don't know how to make gifs for the life of me. Well, except in a really cumbersome way using Photoshop. Otherwise I just use one of the YouTube to GIF sites.

Does the Xbox One not have a built in GIF feature or something for recorded videos?

So yea, for whatever reason, in this game I race much better using bonnet cam than I do using cockpit, even though in most racers I use cockpit view. I don't know if it's because it places you too far back in the cockpit or what, but I can't get the same feeling of speed and placement.

Oh and no HUD and no race music is the way to go. So much more immersive. If I didn't have a huge backlog, I'd have bought the game. Instead I'll pick it up later down the line.

1. Weirdly enough, for me it's kinda the opposite. In Forza I play very well on chase cam and interior view. In other games I play better on dash cam or bonnet view. I think Forza's chase cam is just right in terms of its "attachment" to the car.

2. Definitely the way to go. I don't turn the HUD off, but I don't know anyone who leaves the race music on.

Noobcraft

I don't know how to make gifs for the life of me. Well, except in a really cumbersome way using Photoshop. Otherwise I just use one of the YouTube to GIF sites.

Does the Xbox One not have a built in GIF feature or something for recorded videos?
The xboxdvr website has a "Make GIF" button that links to imgur to make a gif. It hasn't been working recently though AFAIK.

nib95

Banned
The xboxdvr website has a "Make GIF" button that links to imgur to make a gif. It hasn't been working recently though AFAIK.

I see. Thanks for letting me know. Will give it a go once it's working properly.

Last question, is there a way to map taking screenshots to a single button, so I don't need to press Y to confirm, after having already pressed the window button? Also, any way to get rid of the screenshot notification icon? Just lingers a bit too long.

Noobcraft

I see. Thanks for letting me know. Will give it a go once it's working properly.

Last question, is there a way to map taking screenshots to a single button, so I don't need to press Y to confirm, after having already pressed the window button? Also, any way to get rid of the screenshot notification icon? Just lingers a bit too long.
The new chat pad has buttons you can map to screenshots/recording gameplay. I don't think you can do anything about the screenshot notification but at least the system doesn't capture it when you take screenshots.

As far as I'm aware, the only way you could get one-button screenshots is with the upcoming chatpad. I don't think they planned screenshots as part of the functionality at first, otherwise we'd have seen a button on the controller like the PS4.

The ai often reminds me of russian road rage videos. Example: AI is overtaking me on a straight part of the track (it seems like they always accelerate faster than my cars) and suddenly pull in front of me and do a full brake - Still on the straight road, no corner or any reason to brake in front of us.

There definitely seems to be a fair bit of bullshit with how the Drivatars behave, they brake right on the apex then hammer it out of corners in McLaren P1s they must have TCS and STM on by default. I've never seen them spin out from applying too much throttle they only ever just go wide on corners.
This! In Hypercars they drive way too perfect when you turn TCS and STM off, no chance to beat them. But to me it seems like all RWD cars oversteer way easier than in previous forza games.

Segaswirl

Pretty sure the AI drive with assists on at all times, no matter what you have yours set to. When your behind an AI driver and they go wide on a corner into a tyre wall, it feels a bit... canned. It happens way too much and often in the same way.

i've already commented yesterday but i'll repeat again.

i completely agree with all the brake check comments. happens much too often at turns when they could go WOT but instead brake, and you find yourself losing control because you've ran into the back of them.

theWB27

Am I just seeing things or is there a bit of rubberbanding on the last lap? Rossi or sasaki always makes a push towards the end. On the flip side if you're in third you also make that same push. It always gives that "if I had one more lap" feeling.

It's not egregious...but it seems present.

Am I just seeing things or is there a bit of rubberbanding on the last lap? Rossi or sasaki always makes a push towards the end. On the flip side if you're in third you also make that same push. It always gives that "if I had one more lap" feeling.

It's not egregious...but it seems present.

In the discussion about the pole position bug, T10 has said on FM.net that it's ruled out rubberbanding as an issue.

I have noticed something on occasion, but never so severe that it couldn't also be me being more timid or aggressive based on my position.

theWB27

In the discussion about the pole position bug, T10 has said on FM.net that it's ruled out rubberbanding as an issue.

I have noticed something on occasion, but never so severe that it couldn't also be me being more timid or aggressive based on my position.

Yea...good to know it isn't banding.

nib95

Banned
The new chat pad has buttons you can map to screenshots/recording gameplay. I don't think you can do anything about the screenshot notification but at least the system doesn't capture it when you take screenshots.

As far as I'm aware, the only way you could get one-button screenshots is with the upcoming chatpad. I don't think they planned screenshots as part of the functionality at first, otherwise we'd have seen a button on the controller like the PS4.

Cool. I'll just buy the chat pad when it becomes available.

wpnimSC.jpg

The Silverstone "wall bug" is happening on Laguna Seca too.

This picture is from the 8th lap of the Mazda MX-5 Cup showcase event, and this Drivatar has been here since the 2nd lap.

You can actually see the tire marks from where's he been trying to figure it out. ;)

They do it often enough such that closely following an AI around a bend at speed is a lottery where I find myself expecting to get brake tested at any second. It's not pleasant. Anyway, they shouldn't be doing it at all. Once is once too many.

I think FM AI has had a free pass for far too long because it was so much better than in GT, which let's face it, isn't hard. Its deficiencies are pretty glaring now as other titles have upped their game. Drivatars in their current format don't seem to be the answer.

Usually defend Forza's Drivatar system especially with the mid corner braking, because most of the time there is traffic ahead or the racing line turns red for me (even though I know I don't to brake in that line bend) and I assume that most players actually brake in that point so of course their drivatar does too, especially on difficulties lower than unbeatable. Some tracks are worse than others, like tracks that don't have a lot of Drivatar data yet like Circuit of the Americas, Sonoma, Watkins Glen or almost all of the wet and night tracks. Those aren't great excuses, but it will get better naturally over time because a) there will be more Drivatar data on the newer tracks soon and b) a lot of the more casual players stop playing the game after a few weeks, leading to their Drivatars being pulled less often into races because of how the Drivatar-rewards system works.

But man, yesterday...?! Yesterday I was done with excuses!
1976 F1 cars against Pro Drivatars on Circuit De La Sarthe, it was teeerrible and I even had the spoilers set as low as they get, so the AI should have an advantage in high speed corners(assuming the AI always uses the standard tune for spoilers). With sim damage on and rewinds off..., even I have to admit that it would have been unplayable (assuming you don't drive as carefully as my mother and are okay finishing in 10th place); especially between Mulsanne and and the finish line... Not just mid-corner braking but also too early braking without traffic in sight and evading invisible obstacles when I'm about to overtake, completely unpredictable behavior. I switched rewinds on, otherwise I would have stopped playing after 3-4 restarts.

Maybe Turn 10 should just manually iron out the Drivatar behavior for the worst corners on most of the tracks, even if that makes the bad Drivatars better than they should be based on the recorded data of their real life counterpart.

Edit:
This picture is from the 8th lap of the Mazda MX-5 Cup showcase event (and not just in that showcase event but in general on Laguna Seca), and this Drivatar has been here since the 2nd lap.
I've had this too, he tried to evade the 1st lap jam by going inside and it would have worked in FM5, but not in FM6 with that tyre wall there.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Yeah, the end game needs to be a bit more lucrative.

Forza Horizon 2 has this problem too. I remember being pretty high leveled and getting like, 5,000 credits as a bonus. Oh gee, thanks!

Is Forza Hub not working right for anyone else? It doesn't seem to recognize that I own Forza 6 and that I've made progress on it. Anyone know a fix for this? I've tried re-downloading the app already.

Same. It doesn't seem to recognize any progress I have made after day 1.

Noobcraft

The Silverstone "wall bug" is happening on Laguna Seca too.

This picture is from the 8th lap of the Mazda MX-5 Cup showcase event, and this Drivatar has been here since the 2nd lap.

You can actually see the tire marks from where's he been trying to figure it out. ;)
I've seen this quite a bit in Forza 6. It actually happened in Forza 5 as well on more technical tracks like the Nurburgring, but the more aggressive placement of tire walls makes it happen more frequently.
https://youtu.be/i4YJFMf0Cmc

Klocker

i've already commented yesterday but i'll repeat again.

i completely agree with all the brake check comments. happens much too often at turns when they could go WOT but instead brake, and you find yourself losing control because you've ran into the back of them.

Yep seems like fabricated difficulty. Annoying

Anyone here actually run TC and STM off with a controller?

I find it nearly impossible to run especially with the higher power cars.

I did with all racing games last gen, but not with the latest games. I first noticed the increase in difficulty in the off-road bits in Horizon 2. I suppose it shows the simulation has improved, but a wheel is now necessary to play with it off.

danowat

Banned
Anyone here actually run TC and STM off with a controller?

I find it nearly impossible to run especially with the higher power cars.

No assists with the controller for me, just pay attention to the trigger rumbles for a better idea of the amount of traction to have, or don't have!

Did the current GP series with no assists, was tricky, but doable.

witness

I'm getting more frustrated with this game as time goes on. The career mode leaves so much to be desired when compared to 3 and 4. Having mixed cars in free play mode and forced upgrades in career are really discouraging. I wish you had control over these things. The driving, cars and tracks are better than ever....but man there's some really discouraging design decisions. I've been going back to FH2 lately instead.

Top Bottom