• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 6 |OT| Forza turns 10

Some of the default suspension and alignment settings are, shall we say, questionable.

I cannot believe that the 458 GTE/GTLM leaves Michelotto with a rear end so very eager to overtake the front. Softening the rear springs and ARBs sorts that, as does using more realistic tire pressures and tweaking the diff locks, but I still can't seem to find enough overall grip without using mod cards, though.

Happily, the tuning setups I use in pCARS are rather effective in FM6, (after unit conversion). OEM spring rate and alignment values for road cars work surprisingly well, too, because again, the default ones in the game can be pretty far off.

NZNova

I got this game recently. Did the tutorial race and a couple more, leveled up, got a prize wheel spin and won a Bugatti Veyron. The next time I leveled up I won 1,000,000 credits. Is this game coded to pay out some good rewards to start with to get you hooked in on the prize wheel system or something? Otherwise, my luck is astonishingly good so far.

ShamePain

Banned
I got this game recently. Did the tutorial race and a couple more, leveled up, got a prize wheel spin and won a Bugatti Veyron. The next time I leveled up I won 1,000,000 credits. Is this game coded to pay out some good rewards to start with to get you hooked in on the prize wheel system or something? Otherwise, my luck is astonishingly good so far.

Yeah, I think it's programmed to give you good rewards in the beginning, but if you have a ton of money and cars already it's a bit conservative.

Dunno if anyone else has noticed but the new Nissan 300ZX Race car doesn't have headlights. Came as a shock when doing the last race in a series of 6 at Le Mans at night. Couldn't see a damn thing. Let's hope it gets patched. Great car apart from that.

I wish there was an option to just have the game auto-spin and just tell me what I won - for both Forza 6 and Horizon 2. The random gambling angle interactivity of it does nothing for me, and in Horizon 2 you get pestered all the damn time if you don't use your spins. So I was already way, way over that stuff when Turn 10 decided to put it into Forza Motorsport as well.

Just a little icon to the side of the screen saying "Level 70! You won a [Ferrari]" or whatever. Just as much winning without the lotto ticket/bingo-esque fanfare and I'd be stoked.

Noobcraft

Dunno if anyone else has noticed but the new Nissan 300ZX Race car doesn't have headlights. Came as a shock when doing the last race in a series of 6 at Le Mans at night. Couldn't see a damn thing. Let's hope it gets patched. Great car apart from that.
It doesn't have windshield wipers either which makes rain races fun. AFAIK the headlights are stickers.

It should maybe have a windshield wiper though...
heritage_photo17_l.jpg

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

Neither does the #4 Audi Quattro. Was doing Seabring in the night and couldn't see shit. Had to buy another car so I could continue that career race.

I also went ahead and just bought VIP and the car pass, because why not.

ShamePain

Banned
Does anyone else wonder what numbers Forza will end up pushing at the end of this gen if they keep going at their current rate?
Forza 6 today has the most tracks of any fm games and it already has more cars than Forza 3 post-DLC support and obviously a ton more cars coming up throughout next year - both Forza 5 and Horizon 2 have offered over 100 cars through DLC after launch. So Forza 6 landing at a number close to 600 models isn't out of reach. I would also assume that these car and track models will never be replaced unless of course there are licensing issues.

willbsn13

Does anyone else wonder what numbers Forza will end up pushing at the end of this gen if they keep going at their current rate?
Forza 6 today has the most tracks of any fm games and it already has more cars than Forza 3 post-DLC support and obviously a ton more cars coming up throughout next year - both Forza 5 and Horizon 2 have offered over 100 cars through DLC after launch. So Forza 6 landing at a number close to 600 models isn't out of reach. I would also assume that these car and track models will never be replaced unless of course there are licensing issues.

Crazy numbers of content.

Horizon 3 would have access to around 400+ road cars from FM6 (and some not carried over from FH2) which would be the most of any open-world game ever, by a long margin. I hope they focus on making the map much bigger though.

Then FM7 will take the FH3 DLC cars too. We could be looking at 650-700 cars by FM7. Between FM5 and FM6 they added 12 environments, including 1 big environment (the Nurburgring). So we could be seeing FM7 launching with 650-700 cars and 35-38 environments as a rough estimate, depending on if they want to add environments in to FM6 as free content or dlc or update existing environments w/ weather/night.

That amount of content is incredible. But hopefully they don't prioritize the content over the most requested features for both series, which are more important IMO as the content is already plentiful.

Sordid

Yeah, I think it's programmed to give you good rewards in the beginning, but if you have a ton of money and cars already it's a bit conservative.

I'm level 33 now and have never had a jackpot win. I haven't bought any expensive cars and I've only made 4.5 millions credits (and that's with Forza rewards, credit boost mods for endurance races & double VIP credits!)

Dan's beard has forsaken me :(

ShamePain

Banned

Horizon 3 would have access to around 400+ road cars from FM6 (and some not carried over from FH2) which would be the most of any open-world game ever, by a long margin. I hope they focus on making the map much bigger though.

Then FM7 will take the FH3 DLC cars too. We could be looking at 650-700 cars by FM7. Between FM5 and FM6 they added 12 environments, including 1 big environment (the Nurburgring). So we could be seeing FM7 launching with 650-700 cars and 35-38 environments as a rough estimate, depending on if they want to add environments in to FM6 as free content or dlc or update existing environments w/ weather/night.

That amount of content is incredible. But hopefully they don't prioritize the content over the most requested features for both series, which are more important IMO as the content is already plentiful.
Hopefully the sales are good enough for MS to keep the franchise going. It would seem the licensing costs alone would be sky high for that amount of content, never mind the modelling workforce.

Jezbollah

Just an FYI (and it's not entirely game related) but the real life Bathurst 1000 is on this weekend.

If you're a motorsports fan and have never seen it, if you have the ability to watch it, it's heavily recommended. It always throws up some dramas.

Mascot

Games like Forza can NEVER have too many tracks. Not all developers recognise this though.

willbsn13

Hopefully the sales are good enough for MS to keep the franchise going. It would seem the licensing costs alone would be sky high for that amount of content, never mind the modelling workforce.

I think the sales of Forza have been fine, and if they weren't, the franchise wouldn't be around any more. There was an article a while back (at the launch of FM6) which said across FM/FH2 there have 7 million unique users. Of course these aren't sales figures - they don't account for game sharing,second hand sales and the FM5 Free Weekend - but they're a good indicator that the games are doing well. 7 million is almost a 50% attach rate for the Xbox One, which is really good for a racing game.

I can imagine the licensing + the massive amount of staff T10 have (plus outsourcing models) would be a huge cost, hence why we see quite a lot of DLC for the games to offset those astronomical costs.

Games like Forza can NEVER have too many tracks. Not all developers recognise this though.

That is true. I think they need to focus more on adding tracks and implementing night/weather to existing tracks (or figuring out a dynamic lighting & weather system) than adding cars. There's always been a bit of a lopsided bias in Forza when it comes to amount of content in terms of cars vs tracks. Even in the Horizon games, I feel like there's a disproportionate amount of cars to the size of the open-world; especially in FH2 since there's over 300 cars in the game and the map is only 10 miles wide.

ShamePain

Banned
I think the sales of Forza have been fine, and if they weren't, the franchise wouldn't be around any more. There was an article a while back (at the launch of FM6) which said across FM/FH2 there have 7 million unique users. Of course these are sales figures - they don't account for game sharing,second hand sales and the FM5 Free Weekend - but they're a good indicator that the games are doing well. 7 million is almost a 50% attach rate for the Xbox One, which is really good for a racing game.

I can imagine the licensing + the massive amount of staff T10 have (plus outsourcing models) would be a huge cost, hence why we see quite a lot of DLC for the games to offset those astronomical costs.

That is true. I think they need to focus more on adding tracks and implementing night/weather to existing tracks (or figuring out a dynamic lighting & weather system) than adding cars. There's always been a bit of a lopsided bias in Forza when it comes to amount of content in terms of cars vs tracks. Even in the Horizon games, I feel like there's a disproportionate amount of cars to the size of the open-world; especially in FH2 since there's over 300 cars in the game and the map is only 10 miles wide.

Tracks take a lot more research and effort to make than cars though and really who is better than forza at this point? GT has tracks ported from ps2, PCars has a huge detail disparity between different tracks, some look like hot garbage (Laguna Seca), Assetto doesn't have that many. I think 26 in FM6 is already pretty good, I don't feel track fatigue like I did in FM5 or even FM4 which had some garbage tracks like Sedona which I really hated. I think they've covered all the key tracks people have been asking for like Spa and Mount Panorama and will slow down the production going forward to keep the costs down. And I don't think dynamic ToD/Weather is possible on X1 at 1080p/locked 60fps, 95% of games that have realtime shadows run at sub1080p on X1 simply because the system is not really suited for it.

willbsn13

Tracks take a lot more research and effort to make than cars though and really who is better than forza at this point? GT has tracks ported from ps2, PCars has a huge detail disparity between different tracks, some look like hot garbage (Laguna Seca), Assetto doesn't have that many. I think 26 in FM6 is already pretty good, I don't feel track fatigue like I did in FM5 or even FM4 which had some garbage tracks like Sedona which I really hated. I think they've covered all the key tracks people have been asking for like Spa and Mount Panorama and will slow down the production going forward to keep the costs down. And I don't think dynamic ToD/Weather is possible on X1 at 1080p/locked 60fps, 95% of games that have realtime shadows run at sub1080p on X1 simply because the system is not really suited for it.

True, and if they keep up there production (12 tracks between 5 and 6) then I'd be happy with that (38 environments in FM7). I don't think they've covered all the key tracks people want though. There are still holes in the track roster in terms of T10 original tracks and japanese tracks that a lot of people have been requesting.
Fujimi, Tsukuba, Suzuka (although this seems unlikely due to licensing), Ebisu, Maple Valley, New York, Camino and Rally Di Postiano come to mind. I also wouldn't be surprised seeing another Aussie track considering the popularity of the game there and Pacific Raceways is the last track left from the smart geometrics leak that hasn't been put into the game yet.

And yeah that's just wishful thinking from me.

Lima

Running the Ford GT with the S800 setup from our resident Greek made me laugh when I switched to chase cam.

Yo dawg we heard you like wings so I put a wing on top of your wing.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for a stand alone capture device? I really want to start doing the Green Hell series again but my computer is too shitty to record anything from the X1. I need to find a good stand alone capture device that can record at 1080/60.

Any ideas?

This Limo drifting video the Forza twitter just retweeted is amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhYtEewtit0 (Dubstep alert)

Clever idea using photomode for the "bullet time" like effects.

Mascot

Tracks take a lot more research and effort to make than cars though...

Fantasy tracks are a good fit for the Forza universe and with the right tools should be relatively quick and easy to bang out. Hell, even a first-time Joe Public user can rattle off a decent track within a day if the creation tools are powerful enough. I don't know if Turn 10 have a bespoke 'track creator' program for non-laser scanned tracks or if they model them in the traditional way, but they shouldn't take that long to do in the grand scheme of things. Licenced tracks will obviously take a lot longer, but if you're drifting lime green limos around against Warthogs and Model T Fords then who cares about officialdom anyway?

I finished up the first pass on stories of motorsport earlier, I quite like the setup for single player stuff apart from the forced finish top 3 to progress factor, It really should be league points like most racing series.

I have two years to 100% this game, the only forza's I ever maxed out were 1 and 2 so I really should try with this game.

It doesn't have windshield wipers either which makes rain races fun. AFAIK the headlights are stickers.

It should maybe have a windshield wiper though...
Argghh. Assumed it did endurance racing. But yeah, it needs wipers. Stupidly fast though. Usually the AI have the speed due to how the game works out difficulty (slow cornering - too slow for my liking - and fast on straights) but this is even faster!

I finished up the first pass on stories of motorsport earlier, I quite like the setup for single player stuff apart from the forced finish top 3 to progress factor, It really should be league points like most racing series.

I have two years to 100% this game, the only forza's I ever maxed out were 1 and 2 so I really should try with this game.
That's the problem with Forza. It's a great game except for the way it does racing. It's like no one at Turn 10 follows motorsport.

frontieruk

Just a reminder
t1444507200z1.png

league_week_header_bwpsto.png

This Saturday is our first league race. We will start at 3pm Eastern, baseball playoffs be damned. :)
Any C class car with any tune to a max of C500. The car you pick for this race will be the car you race for all 4 races, so choose wisely.

These are the tracks we'll be doing:
Rio de Janeiro - Coast Loop Reverse
Indy - Grand Prix Circuit
Circuit America - East Route
Laguna Seca - Full Circuit

When we get everyone in the lobby we will have a 5 minute practice time. After that we will race for real. The race will take about 15 minutes. For the Rio track I'm thinking 15 - 20 laps. Points will be awarded and I'll link to them here.

If you can't make it but still want to get in the fun. We are also collecting lap times for each race. So load it up in rivals and set you best time. Post it here, I'll collect them and also award points for this. Deadline for lap times is Saturday 3:00pm.

frontieruk

Not sure what you mean. You can't participate in Rivals at all?

My friendlist is more than gaf, i'd assume zorbs is too, so looking for times for the time trials scoring is awkward unless they are posted here. this may also be the ONLY time we use the top PI for the class so people are likely to have faster times on their accounts.

My friendlist is more than gaf, i'd assume zorbs is too, so looking for times for the time trials scoring is awkward unless they are posted here. this may also be the ONLY time we use the top PI for the class so people are likely to have faster times on their accounts.

Gotcha

ZQQLANDER

Racing X class. At the start, I'm revving my engine, but at the end of the count down it takes FOREVER to excellerate. What am I doing wrong?

ZQQLANDER

I'll report a preliminary 00:54.793

spinning tires? forgot to clutch so the engine stalls?

Maybe I'm stalled? It's like the engine won't turn over. In order to accelerate, I have to switch to 2nd gear and back to first to get going.

Do you have to hit the clutch at the start? Normally I just rev the engine and go, but maybe something in X class is different?

Very confused.....

Noobcraft

Maybe I'm stalled? It's like the engine won't turn over. In order to accelerate, I have to switch to 2nd gear and back to first to get going.

Do you have to hit the clutch at the start? Normally I just rev the engine and go, but maybe something in X class is different?

Very confused.....
If the car is in gear and not moving, you should be on the clutch (you will stall, get honked at, and die otherwise). At least that's how it works in real life lol.

GHG

Gold Member
Just a reminder
league_week_header_bwpsto.png

This Saturday is our first league race. We will start at 3pm Eastern, baseball playoffs be damned. :)
Any C class car with any tune to a max of C500. The car you pick for this race will be the car you race for all 4 races, so choose wisely.

These are the tracks we'll be doing:
Rio de Janeiro - Coast Loop Reverse
Indy - Grand Prix Circuit
Circuit America - East Route
Laguna Seca - Full Circuit

When we get everyone in the lobby we will have a 5 minute practice time. After that we will race for real. The race will take about 15 minutes. For the Rio track I'm thinking 15 - 20 laps. Points will be awarded and I'll link to them here.

If you can't make it but still want to get in the fun. We are also collecting lap times for each race. So load it up in rivals and set you best time. Post it here, I'll collect them and also award points for this. Deadline for lap times is Saturday 3:00pm.

Just a question on this before I start buying some cars to practice on this track can I take any lower class car (D and E class) and tune it to a max of C500 or does the car have to be a C class car in stock form to start with?

Just a question on this before I start buying some cars to practice on this track can I take any lower class car (D and E class) and tune it to a max of C500 or does the car have to be a C class car in stock form to start with?

Its fine, just no drive train swap until its confirmed to have fixed the bug.

Top Bottom